Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I've always thought this was in fact what DRLs are (it's what DRLs are here anyway)? What light comes on with DRLs if not the low beams?

In the US, GM cars tend to use the turn signals on full brightness. Newer cars use LED strips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

My S60R uses what would be the high beams in the European version for DRLs. Instead of having proper high beams the regular beams actually rotate upwards for high beams. Yes, it's every bit as stupid as it sounds (because Volvo).

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Back to cyclist hate. I live in Berkeley and at the moment I don't own a car. I don't own a bike either so for the time being it's public transit (Yay BART!) and walking. I have been run over four times in the last year by bicyclists on the sidewalk. Once was a sideswipe, twice were solid hits that knocked me flat and the fourth demolished his front wheel. Every time, the cyclist yelled at me for not getting out of the way.

If I'm facing away from you while walking downhill it probably means I won't see you. The last guy demanding that I pay for a new wheel was the best though because I told him to call the cops. It was about then he may have realized he wasn't in the right, ecofriendly or not.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

My S60R uses what would be the high beams in the European version for DRLs. Instead of having proper high beams the regular beams actually rotate upwards for high beams. Yes, it's every bit as stupid as it sounds (because Volvo).

I have a Jeep Compass (company/fleet car, didn't really have a choice unless I wanted to pay thousands of dollars out of pocket for a car that I keep for 18-24 months) and being the top trim level it has projector headlights. It also appears to have a second set of inboard reflector highbeams, but they're actually just clear 3157 bulbs with a headlight-style reflector behind them that illuminate as running lights and give the appearance of a headlight being on. For high beam the projectors similar to a bi-xenon setup, with solenoid-actuated shutters on the projector.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Back to cyclist hate. I live in Berkeley and at the moment I don't own a car. I don't own a bike either so for the time being it's public transit (Yay BART!) and walking. I have been run over four times in the last year by bicyclists on the sidewalk. Once was a sideswipe, twice were solid hits that knocked me flat and the fourth demolished his front wheel. Every time, the cyclist yelled at me for not getting out of the way.

If I'm facing away from you while walking downhill it probably means I won't see you. The last guy demanding that I pay for a new wheel was the best though because I told him to call the cops. It was about then he may have realized he wasn't in the right, ecofriendly or not.

It is weird, some cities have rules about riding on the sidewalk, and if they hit you, THEY are totally in the wrong. Call the cops, they will get fined and should learn their lesson and ride on the street. As a bicyclist, I loathe the douchebags that run reds (stop signs are a strange situation) almost as much as I loathe assholes in bro-trucks.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Saw a teenager do a wide turn out of a parking lot while I was turning into that lane from the other side of the road. I saw what she was doing in enough time to slam the brakes and honk.

Later on she ran a red light by a good three seconds only for me to catch up to her at the next red light. You sure saved a lot of time there lady! :allears:

Teenage drivers are the people I share the road with today.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

El Jebus posted:

(stop signs are a strange situation)

Yeah, a lot of times if you're just cruising around on a bike (10mph or whatever), you'll be able to see if the cross-street is clear long before you get to the stop sign. I'll just slow down a bit for the stop sign if I can see there's clearly no-one else coming in any direction.

Can't understand the cyclists who haul rear end through red lights in town. And I loving hate the guys who have a nice wide, clean, marked bike lane but insist on riding right on the line between bike and car lanes... what are you trying to prove?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Pham Nuwen posted:

And I loving hate the guys who have a nice wide, clean, marked bike lane but insist on riding right on the line between bike and car lanes... what are you trying to prove?

If I ever see this I'm sliding my car in behind them into the bike lane. "Share the road" goes both ways, ya prick. :smug::smug:

DRLchat: I've seen a couple cars (I think Cadillacs but i could be remembering wrong) that actually have a separate, dedicated bulb for DRLs, mounted in the reflector housing forward of the focal point where the main bulb sits. Bounces off the reflector in all directions so you can see the light, without focusing it into a bright beam (it's a lower-power bulb so it's not blinding at night either).

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

It's the summertime, which means people who have retired to Florida drive back up to New Jersey to visit their great-great-great grandchildren. I was behind one of these today on the on-ramp where he was doing about 18 mph. Once we got to the merging area, he proceeded to go 0 mph, deciding to wait for the freeway to open up for him, rather than using the acceleration lane.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Can't understand the cyclists who haul rear end through red lights in town. And I loving hate the guys who have a nice wide, clean, marked bike lane but insist on riding right on the line between bike and car lanes... what are you trying to prove?

There's some stupid complaint about road debris being in the bike lane, but these people are pretty much babies, everyone else plows through that poo poo.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 13, 2014

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Michael Scott posted:

I'd love functionality that would allow the driver to change the light sensitivity setting for automatic lights. Not sure if any manufacturers have implemented that.

I know for my car it can be changed at the dealership by plugging in a cable. I realize that's a pain in the rear end, but if you happen to be there for something else that might help.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Pham Nuwen posted:

Yeah, a lot of times if you're just cruising around on a bike (10mph or whatever), you'll be able to see if the cross-street is clear long before you get to the stop sign. I'll just slow down a bit for the stop sign if I can see there's clearly no-one else coming in any direction.

This might start a huge derail, but gently caress you for running stop signs. If I am driving my car, and slow down and can tell the intersection is clear, is it OK for me to not stop? Of course not, those are the rules of the road, and when you choose to ride your bike in the road you have to follow them. If you do not want to follow the rules of the road, don't ride your loving bike in the road, its as simple as that.

naughty_penguin
Oct 9, 2005
Fun Shoe

Pham Nuwen posted:

And I loving hate the guys who have a nice wide, clean, marked bike lane but insist on riding right on the line between bike and car lanes... what are you trying to prove?

A lot of times the bike lane is in the door zone where people will park and hop out of their car without looking to see if there is a bike coming, leading to the bicyclist getting "doored", which can be just as bad as any other car accident.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

naughty_penguin posted:

A lot of times the bike lane is in the door zone where people will park and hop out of their car without looking to see if there is a bike coming, leading to the bicyclist getting "doored", which can be just as bad as any other car accident.

Quite Oftenly Lethal

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Negromancer posted:

This might start a huge derail, but gently caress you for running stop signs. If I am driving my car, and slow down and can tell the intersection is clear, is it OK for me to not stop? Of course not, those are the rules of the road, and when you choose to ride your bike in the road you have to follow them. If you do not want to follow the rules of the road, don't ride your loving bike in the road, its as simple as that.

If you ever exceed the speed limit by a single mph, or neglect to turn on your headlights in a daytime headlight zone, I hope your license gets revoked :jerkbag: Pardon the hell out of me for California-stopping after spending the last 5 seconds verifying that yes, the road is in fact clear in all directions.

naughty_penguin posted:

No, this is out in the country even, where there's no parking on the side of the road. It's weird, because I would prefer to keep a nice healthy distance between myself and the stream of cars which could crush me without even stopping. They also keep the bike lanes pretty clear around here, street sweepers sweep stuff out of the bike lanes too.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 14, 2014

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Pham Nuwen posted:

If you ever exceed the speed limit by a single mph, or neglect to turn on your headlights in a daytime headlight zone, I hope your license gets revoked :jerkbag: Pardon the hell out of me for California-stopping after spending the last 5 seconds verifying that yes, the road is in fact clear in all directions.

Yea, I know its kinda harsh, but its the principal of the thing. I have had too many people on bikes almost make me run them over(blowing stop signs/lights directly in front of my car while I am moving, changing lanes directly in front of me without any form of signaling, etc) while wearing zero safety gear and then getting pissed off at me when I honk at them. The main reason I really hate that poo poo is because I don't want to run someone over with my car, and there have been some really close calls in the past. So many people think they get special rights since they are "saving the planet" by riding their bike, then proceed to blow stop signs in front of cars with the right of way.

Honestly I don't have a issue with people who know what they are doing and paying attention while riding like madmen in the road(ie bike messengers), since they are smart enough to not put themselves in stupid situations. I am friends with a few messengers, and we tend to agree on this. My problem is with all the people who decide to commute on a bike, despite not having touched one in 20 years, and proceed to just be assholes. This seems to be the norm here in Seattle.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The reason automobile traffic more or less works is because everyone has something to lose if they don't at least pretend to follow the rules.. they can get a ticket, lose their license, pay more for insurance, or destroy their car. Anyone can scoop up a bike and start pedaling around on the streets whenever the gently caress they want.

I'm not sure a biking license is appropriate, but education and fines would certainly be a good thing.

As near as I can cyclists don't give a poo poo if they're maimed or get killed, so that's not an effective deterrent.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Negromancer posted:

Yea, I know its kinda harsh, but its the principal of the thing. I have had too many people on bikes almost make me run them over(blowing stop signs/lights directly in front of my car while I am moving, changing lanes directly in front of me without any form of signaling, etc) while wearing zero safety gear and then getting pissed off at me when I honk at them. The main reason I really hate that poo poo is because I don't want to run someone over with my car, and there have been some really close calls in the past. So many people think they get special rights since they are "saving the planet" by riding their bike, then proceed to blow stop signs in front of cars with the right of way.

Honestly I don't have a issue with people who know what they are doing and paying attention while riding like madmen in the road(ie bike messengers), since they are smart enough to not put themselves in stupid situations. I am friends with a few messengers, and we tend to agree on this. My problem is with all the people who decide to commute on a bike, despite not having touched one in 20 years, and proceed to just be assholes. This seems to be the norm here in Seattle.

I drive a hell of a lot more than I cycle, and I also ride motorcycles. I have been hated by everyone on the road at one point or another, simply based on the vehicle I was currently using. Cyclists scare the poo poo out of me pretty often, like the other night when some guy (no lights, dark clothes) was sort of swerving and puttering his bike across the crosswalk... against my green light, as I'm entering the intersection.

I do the stopsign thing when I'm puttering through the back streets of town, where big yards combined with 25 mph limits and minimal traffic make it seem pretty reasonable. It doesn't strike me as very dangerous, and since I only coast through when there are no cars to be seen I don't think I inconvenience anyone... we'll see if a cop ever yells at me for it.

I don't really like biking to work because some parts are on busy streets without bike lanes, and the combination of traffic + dooring risks with my own aversion to holding up traffic on a bike makes it unpleasant.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
You all should love in Denver. Several times a week, I encounter rear end in a top hat bikers who feel the need to make snarky comments when you walk in front of them as they barrel down the road and you have a walking signal. They'll be on the road on the side opposite the dedicated bike lane, and on many roads there are bike lanes. And my favorites are the ones who almost run me down on the sidewalk, don't make a noise, almost run me down and scream "Take out your headphones rear end in a top hat!" Except I can hear that because I don't have headphones in unless I'm on the train. And speaking of trains, bicyclists love to ignore the dedicated bike areas and take up the very narrow aisle.

In short, gently caress bicyclists.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I learned that if you break traffic laws when no one is around, there is no one to get mad.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Pham Nuwen posted:

I drive a hell of a lot more than I cycle, and I also ride motorcycles. I have been hated by everyone on the road at one point or another, simply based on the vehicle I was currently using. Cyclists scare the poo poo out of me pretty often, like the other night when some guy (no lights, dark clothes) was sort of swerving and puttering his bike across the crosswalk... against my green light, as I'm entering the intersection.

I do the stopsign thing when I'm puttering through the back streets of town, where big yards combined with 25 mph limits and minimal traffic make it seem pretty reasonable. It doesn't strike me as very dangerous, and since I only coast through when there are no cars to be seen I don't think I inconvenience anyone... we'll see if a cop ever yells at me for it.

I don't really like biking to work because some parts are on busy streets without bike lanes, and the combination of traffic + dooring risks with my own aversion to holding up traffic on a bike makes it unpleasant.

so we are pretty much on the same page.

I actually had a cyclist yell at me since I told him he had no rear lights. I had almost hit him since he was sitting between the right lane and right turn lane, when I was pulling into the right turn lane. At night with no lights and sitting closer to the right turn lane. I had to swerve at the last second when I could finally see him. I already had my window, so I nicely informed him(I was honestly very polite) that I could not see him and almost hit him since he had no lights on the back of his bike. Then he told me to go gently caress myself and decided to run the red light.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Negromancer posted:

I already had my window, so I nicely informed him(I was honestly very polite) that I could not see him and almost hit him since he had no lights on the back of his bike. Then he told me to go gently caress myself and decided to run the red light.

Because pointing out the flaws of other drivers at a stop light always results in a polite and cordial conversation, right? :v:

(people always act like poo poo when confronted by strangers)

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

xzzy posted:

Because pointing out the flaws of other drivers at a stop light always results in a polite and cordial conversation, right? :v:

(people always act like poo poo when confronted by strangers)

Actually I have had people thank me when I tell them their tail/brake lights are out. I honestly came very close to taking that cyclist out and it scared me. I assumed that his rear light had burned out/stopped working, since even the most insane messengers I know wear those all the time at night.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Protocol7 posted:

You all should love in Denver. Several times a week, I encounter rear end in a top hat bikers who feel the need to make snarky comments when you walk in front of them as they barrel down the road and you have a walking signal. They'll be on the road on the side opposite the dedicated bike lane, and on many roads there are bike lanes. And my favorites are the ones who almost run me down on the sidewalk, don't make a noise, almost run me down and scream "Take out your headphones rear end in a top hat!" Except I can hear that because I don't have headphones in unless I'm on the train. And speaking of trains, bicyclists love to ignore the dedicated bike areas and take up the very narrow aisle.

In short, gently caress bicyclists.

Reminds me when a cyclist yelled "BIKE LANE" when he rode past, since I had my car double parked in the bike lane while I was jumping my wife's car at 1:30am on 14th street downtown Denver. The street was empty, and fortunately I got some sympathy from onlookers at a local patio. Unfortunately I didn't have anything clever to yell at him other than 'gently caress you'.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Negromancer posted:

This a thousand times. Bikes are fine and great and I used to ride all the time. Blowing off traffic laws because you think they don't apply is not great. Riding on the sidewalk when there is a bike lane is not great. (In Berkeley there are bike lanes almost everywhere.)

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Negromancer posted:

Actually I have had people thank me when I tell them their tail/brake lights are out. I honestly came very close to taking that cyclist out and it scared me. I assumed that his rear light had burned out/stopped working, since even the most insane messengers I know wear those all the time at night.

Yeah, I keep 2 super bright red lights on my bike, one blinking and one solid just below it. I also attach a blinking light to my helmet. 2 lights in front, one blinking straight ahead and one pointed down for actual headlight. Anything less and I feel like I might as well not have any lights and just wear black.

I used to call out other bicyclists who ran reds and poo poo while on my bicycle and they always turned around and flipped off the nearest car. It was adorable. gently caress them.

Me to Bicyclist: STOP RUNNING RED LIGHTS
Bicyclist to nearest car: gently caress YOU rear end in a top hat *finger*
Car: *wow, bicyclists are assholes and I hate them now.*

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

A slightly different type of cyclist but today I saw an old man riding a bicycle the wrong way up the side of a very busy main road. Actually, the old people around here have been particularly suicidal recently. The other day there was an old guy riding his mobility scooter the wrong way up a main road, I looked him straight in the eye as I passed him but that was a man for whom the concept of caring was but a distant memory.

Really Japan, I appreciate the longevity of your older citizens and am happy to see them mobile and active well into their 80s but could you at least teach them fear or something?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

RillAkBea posted:

Really Japan, I appreciate the longevity of your older citizens and am happy to see them mobile and active well into their 80s but could you at least teach them fear or something?

Japan has a problem with an aging population, perhaps this is their solution?

The Inuits leave the elderly out in the snow to die, the Japanese let them ride around on bikes.

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008

RillAkBea posted:

A slightly different type of cyclist but today I saw an old man riding a bicycle the wrong way up the side of a very busy main road. Actually, the old people around here have been particularly suicidal recently. The other day there was an old guy riding his mobility scooter the wrong way up a main road, I looked him straight in the eye as I passed him but that was a man for whom the concept of caring was but a distant memory.

What is with people riding their bicycles on the wrong side of the road? Seems to have become more common in the last five or eight years, either that or I'm just noticing it more. Usually just a nuisance, but I once pulled out in front a bicyclist riding the wrong way down the wrong side of the road in the dark with a red light on the front of his bike. Fortunately he managed to stop in time, but it never occurred to me that a red light on the right side of the road in Bellingham would be a suicidal cyclist.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

drzrma posted:

What is with people riding their bicycles on the wrong side of the road? Seems to have become more common in the last five or eight years, either that or I'm just noticing it more. Usually just a nuisance, but I once pulled out in front a bicyclist riding the wrong way down the wrong side of the road in the dark with a red light on the front of his bike. Fortunately he managed to stop in time, but it never occurred to me that a red light on the right side of the road in Bellingham would be a suicidal cyclist.

There's a theory out there that it's safer to bike/walk against traffic.. I guess the idea is if someone is out of control, you can actually see it coming and maybe get out of the way.

I'm not sure if there's any actual fact to this, it's one of those things that sort of makes sense but doesn't address what happens when traffic isn't expecting someone to be doing it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Twenty years ago, in kindergarten, I was taught that you walk against traffic, but roll with it. A bicycle is, for traffic purposes, a vehicle, and should behave like one. The greater danger isn't being unable to "jump away" from an accident (a bike can't do this at speed anyway, a pedestrian can), but from being in an unexpected position. A bike on the wrong side of the road will cause many more accidents because nobody expects it to be there, and won't be looking for it when turning.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
There's also the fact that your closing speed will be much higher riding a bike into traffic as opposed to walking, giving any crash that much more energy.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Geirskogul posted:

Twenty years ago, in kindergarten, I was taught that you walk against traffic, but roll with it. A bicycle is, for traffic purposes, a vehicle, and should behave like one.
This is correct.

Japan does have a factor that affects things, though, in that it is very much normal to ride on the pavement rather than the road, particularly in cities, but this is balanced by most of the people doing that ambling along on commuter bikes.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Found this gem in a "review" of a Sylvania turn signal bulb. These are the people we share the road with:

Amazon Customer posted:

Amber auto bulbs are harder to find in stock locally at stores. So I bought these Sylvania ones here on Amazon! Let me tell you... hand-signaling in Southern CA is downright dangerous and terribly inconvenient too! The left turn-signal bulb burnt out on my '07 Toyota Camry one day while getting on the freeway... argggg. Checked locally and sure enough, some stores had them while easier, closer ones did not! I verified the right bulb using Sylvania's auto bulb look-up feature on their Website and found the right size code. That's half the battle too since Toyota didn't spell out a signal bulb trade number in their manual! Double arggg! Thank you Sylvania! :) These bulbs arrived quickly enough via Amazon Prime and installed within minutes of delivery. Fit and work perfectly!! Took 30 seconds to replace each side. (Did both just to prevent any right signal issues!) At least removal/installation was a total cake-walk! Critical mission completed... no more scary hand signals... which I still remembered from my driver's test! I think a cop or two probably laughed at me for actually signaling in Southern CA with my hands!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I want to share the road with that person.

Here's what they did:
  • Their car developed a mechanical fault that made the vehicle more unsafe to other people around them,
  • They took immediate actions to rectify it (hand signals) based on driver training,
  • They were technically astute enough to know what the part that failed was and look it up in the car manual,
  • Once that failed, they took the extra initiative to look it up online,
  • They then purchased and repaired their car to safe operation themselves,
  • They posted a goofy internet review with grandma humour.

That's the kind of person we want.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That's the kind of person I want.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 14, 2014

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I want to share the road with that person.

Here's what they did:
  • Their car developed a mechanical fault that made the vehicle more unsafe to other people around them,
  • They took immediate actions to rectify it (hand signals) based on driver training,
  • They were technically astute enough to know what the part that failed was and look it up in the car manual,
  • Once that failed, they took the extra initiative to look it up online,
  • They then purchased and repaired their car to safe operation themselves,
  • They posted a goofy internet review with grandma humour.

That's the kind of person we want.

Let's not forget they also went so far as to replace the other bulb as well, forseeing that it might burn out soon!

A+++++++ driver would share road again

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
And, if they're anything like me, they know Amazon will deliver before they need to drive again.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
As a European, watching the DRL arguing between Americans here is like being the Monolith in 2001 and watching the primates fight.

Bicyclists being cunts are a global phenomenon though. They are why I'm getting a dash cam.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

evobatman posted:

As a European, watching the DRL arguing between Americans here is like being the Monolith in 2001 and watching the primates fight.

Bicyclists being cunts are a global phenomenon though. They are why I'm getting a dash cam.

Alright Americans post your gas receipts :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

SyHopeful posted:

Alright Americans post your gas receipts :smug:
Bring it. :smug:

I have an electric car for a daily driver