Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Solid Poopsnake posted:

"Hey Urist where can I put this basket full of eyeballs I just plucked off a goddamned tree like some kind of maniac?" "Right by the still!"

Fixed for more plausible outcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Literally Kermit posted:

Fixed for more plausible outcome.

hm, that's good whiskeye

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
You're all terrible dwarflords and this thread has given me some wicked ideas.

Is there any way to instigate goblin violence? My fortress is on year 5 without even a sign of goblin kidnappers. We've had a handful of kobold thieves.

The only explanations I can think of for the lack of goblins are they are busily conquering the rest of dwarfdom and haven't made time for us, or that the sinister, undead-choked mountains nearby serve to interrupt any would-be conquerors on their way to my fort.

Anyone else encounter this problem?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Suicide Sam E. posted:

Is there any way to instigate goblin violence? My fortress is on year 5 without even a sign of goblin kidnappers. We've had a handful of kobold thieves.

The only explanations I can think of for the lack of goblins are they are busily conquering the rest of dwarfdom and haven't made time for us, or that the sinister, undead-choked mountains nearby serve to interrupt any would-be conquerors on their way to my fort.

When you placed your fort did you check for goblin access? In this version it is entirely possible to generate a world with no goblins at all.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Suicide Sam E. posted:

You can institute Kobold violence but letting them steal from you successfully a few times.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Is there a current LNP with mouse + dwarf therapist support? I've not played in a while.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Version .13 has been around for a good while now. Everything that's still supported has had plenty of time to catch up.

I dunno about mouse support, but Peridexis probably has packed up whatever there is.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
That gathering zone update itself has just a minimal effect on gameplay, but multi-item hauls would be very useful.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Faithless posted:

So I need to pull the ramps back a square to give the track a straight line rather than having the ramp also be the bend?

This seems to be the easier way of doing it from the last track I fiddled with. Otherwise you have to deal with the ramps potentially being asinine and refusing to cooperate for whatever reasons.

As for hauling, I'm just incredibly amused by the behaviors that, as far as I can tell, came with this version, like a dwarf who needs to haul a seed running over to it, staring at it, running away to grab a bag out of a barrel, running back with the bag, putting the seed in the bag, dropping the bag, running back to the stockpile, picking up the five-ton lead barrel the seedbag came in, laboriously dragging the barrel to the bag over the course of hours or days, putting the bag in the barrel, dropping the barrel, picking the barrel back up, and then laboriously dragging it back to the stockpile, only to dump it off halfway because they're dehydrated and another dwarf ends up moving it to a different stockpile.

I mean, I sort of get the idea of having the dwarves carry containers around as a setup for hauling multiple things, but it's a hilarious Rube Goldberg device right now.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I have a lot of desk work and so I tend to run a bunch of video LPs as background noise. Are there any good informative video LPs of this around? Preferably ones that have already had a fair few videos.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Eifert Posting posted:

I have a lot of desk work and so I tend to run a bunch of video LPs as background noise. Are there any good informative video LPs of this around? Preferably ones that have already had a fair few videos.

Arumba does a lot of nice one, has a good voice, some humor and decent video length.

Dwarf Fortress 2014: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH-huzMEgGWDDRyM4FWpBOZWMMKVBBdCT

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

Eifert Posting posted:

Quill18 does DF pretty frequently. Don't have link to post because cell phone.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLs3acGYgI1-vl2mctusLle-ViXg4YoNgZ
His latest run.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Angela Christine posted:

When you placed your fort did you check for goblin access? In this version it is entirely possible to generate a world with no goblins at all.

I didn't check specifically for this. I know there are goblins, however, because a few notable goblins are routinely wiping out other dwarven civilizations.

The Moon Monster posted:

You can institute Kobold violence but letting them steal from you successfully a few times.

I will try this. I guess I'll put something valuable in a stupid location. So far kobolds have been unable to penetrate my defenses and make off with goodies.

Mostly I've had werecreatures attacking me every couple of years.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Werecreatures and vampirism are shockingly common in the current version. I guess it's preferable to them being virtually non-existent, but it's pretty funny how dealing with them is just part of the routine function of a fortress.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Suicide Sam E. posted:

I didn't check specifically for this. I know there are goblins, however, because a few notable goblins are routinely wiping out other dwarven civilizations.

Goblins might exist in the world, but be blocked from reaching you.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
The immigration thing I posted before must have been some odd bug. I started a new fortress in the same world in a different location - end of summer year one I got a five migrant wave before any caravans, even.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

scamtank posted:

I dunno about mouse support, but Peridexis probably has packed up whatever there is.

Thanks, this is great, but does anyone know how to toggle multi-layered view, and if I can change scroll wheel from zoom in/out to z level up/down, oh and where the hauling labours in dwarf therapist have gone? :ohdear:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

1.) multilevel x for the number of layers in the DFHack console, assuming that you've got TWBT going on correctly. Mind you, it eats up cycles.
2.) Not sure, probably not. I've seen plenty of people struggling to get the mouse wheel to do things on the Bay12 side.
3.) i dunno lol

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Personally I've found keeping multilevel at 5 to have a minimal impact on FPS while still giving a good amount of viewing depth.

Faithless posted:

So I need to pull the ramps back a square to give the track a straight line rather than having the ramp also be the bend?

Ramp turns work, but they are finicky as hell. If you can't pinpoint the problem then yeah try doing that. Ramp then the next tile on the next level is the bend.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Werecreatures and vampirism are shockingly common in the current version. I guess it's preferable to them being virtually non-existent, but it's pretty funny how dealing with them is just part of the routine function of a fortress.

I've had the inverse issue. Nearly all of my forts since early 0.34 have been devoid of vampires, and only occasionally will a werecreature stumble onto the map before transforming into a naked human and fleeing in terror.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Kennel posted:

That gathering zone update itself has just a minimal effect on gameplay, but multi-item hauls would be very useful.

Agreed, but I fully expect it to be implemented such that all your dwarves try to pick up every loose stone in the fortress until they're carrying 10000000 pounds of rocks two squares before getting tired out and going to sleep, then waking up and moving them another two squares...

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Neurion posted:

I've had the inverse issue. Nearly all of my forts since early 0.34 have been devoid of vampires, and only occasionally will a werecreature stumble onto the map before transforming into a naked human and fleeing in terror.

I have also suffered a lack of vampires.

And yeah, the were-creature thing is kind of BS. Werecreature comes and takes out a lot of your inexperienced dwarves. You chase it down in the woods and then while hiding in a tree it turns into a naked human/amphibian woman. Then it gets recorded as you killing one of those instead of putting down a dangerous weretortoise and avenging the deaths of its victims.

Although at least once you have an organized militia good enough to kill a were before it transforms back, it is a little accomplishment.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Neurion posted:

Same, I've only had one vampire ever (started with .34).

reading
Jul 27, 2013

Moridin920 posted:

Same, I've only had one vampire ever (started with .34).

I was just alerted that a child's body was found, drained of blood. Never had this happen before so now I get to try my hand at vampire hunting!

Also has anyone else noticed that even if you really try to avoid piercing any caverns, if you go for the lava you eventually puncture one or more somehow? And no matter what you do to immediately seal any breach, your dwarves will at some point find their way in there? In all of my 40.## forts I have had groups of dwarves somehow get "stuck" in the caverns, and I can never figure out how they get in there. It'll be a group and no matter what I do I can't get them back out. It's like they slid between the cracks of a floor panel or sealed hallway.

I think it's because I always pierce them with a down staircase, since that's how I move downwards, and even if I put a hatch cover or build a floor over it, at some point there's a gap. The way things fit together in this game in the vertical direction is always really unclear.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I made my first 2014 fortress this weekend and the brewer became king of the entire dwarven civilization before the first trade caravan showed up.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sounds like a good move.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Faithless posted:

Can anyone explain to me what I am doing wrong? My minecart set up is a spiral running from the top area of my fort to the bottom. However it will not connect the two stops. This gives you an idea of what I'm going for, I'm sure i'm missing something really stupid here...

1st floor

2nd floor down...

3rd floor (and so on)

I think you can see what I'm attempting here... Thoughts? It's baffling me. I have other minecarts working on the same level but I seem to fail at multi level ramp minecarting. At one end (the bottom) my dwarfs seem to just fill the minecart over and over pointlessly.
From last page, but those ramps aren't navigable by foot, I wouldn't expect them to work for minecarts either.
Keep in mind that ramps need a wall on the lower level in the "walking up" direction to allow you to walk up at all.
pre:
seen from the side
/  ramp
__ floor
## wall

will work:
__ __
__/##

won't work:
__ __
__/__

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006

nielsm posted:

From last page, but those ramps aren't navigable by foot, I wouldn't expect them to work for minecarts either.
Keep in mind that ramps need a wall on the lower level in the "walking up" direction to allow you to walk up at all.
pre:
seen from the side
/  ramp
__ floor
## wall

will work:
__ __
__/##

won't work:
__ __
__/__

Thanks for this! Lets hope that building a constructed wall behind the ramps will fix this issue. It's not very well explained on the wiki.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
oh snap I can't believe I didn't notice that.

Yeah the ramp needs a wall against it in the direction it is going up otherwise it won't work.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
Is there any way in the base game or DFhack to view what can be pathed to and what can't be pathed to? I dug down to the caverns level while waiting out a siege, and my miners are now unable to make it back down to the cavern level they discovered. I keep getting announcements that they have cancelled their Dig action because they can't find a path.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

reading posted:

I think it's because I always pierce them with a down staircase, since that's how I move downwards, and even if I put a hatch cover or build a floor over it, at some point there's a gap. The way things fit together in this game in the vertical direction is always really unclear.

This is probably it. Move vertically with up/down staircases unless you're only moving one Z. Dwarves can only move down off a down staircase. If it helps, think of a down stair as a few steps hanging off the floor above - the dwarves have no problem tumbling down from it, but are too drunk to pull themselves back up onto it from the floor below.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

vibratingsheep posted:

Is there any way in the base game or DFhack to view what can be pathed to and what can't be pathed to? I dug down to the caverns level while waiting out a siege, and my miners are now unable to make it back down to the cavern level they discovered. I keep getting announcements that they have cancelled their Dig action because they can't find a path.

Is there a usable staircase? Remember, there needs to be a staircase (up, down or up/down) on every level for a dwarf to get there. If you just punctured the roof of the cavern, they probably won't jump down to the floor and they certainly can't get back up.

reading posted:

Also has anyone else noticed that even if you really try to avoid piercing any caverns, if you go for the lava you eventually puncture one or more somehow? And no matter what you do to immediately seal any breach, your dwarves will at some point find their way in there? In all of my 40.## forts I have had groups of dwarves somehow get "stuck" in the caverns, and I can never figure out how they get in there. It'll be a group and no matter what I do I can't get them back out. It's like they slid between the cracks of a floor panel or sealed hallway.

What I usually do to avoid this is to interrupt my staircase every 10-20 z-levels. Just dig a little corridor off from the (current) lowest level of stairs, blocking it off with doors and ideally a remote-triggered drawbridge, before digging down again on the other side of the door/drawbridge. The corridor is an ideal place to put some cage traps too, just in case something nasty from the caverns manages to get in.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Apoffys posted:

Is there a usable staircase? Remember, there needs to be a staircase (up, down or up/down) on every level for a dwarf to get there. If you just punctured the roof of the cavern, they probably won't jump down to the floor and they certainly can't get back up.

This is as far as they've gotten (this is the level above the water level):

This is the Z level directly above that. My miner got to the space just to the left of the pair of up/down staircases, and then became confused before eventually climbing back up to the dormitory level and then becoming unable to dig anything new.

Next level above that, for posterity.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
Then unless you're using burrows/civilian alert, I have no idea. That looks fine. If there wasn't a path available at all though, you shouldn't be getting any errors I think (they wouldn't even bother trying). That you're getting errors suggests that there was a path and a dwarf set out to do the job, but the path became blocked/unavailable before he got there. If you designate stuff to be mined where the miners are slacking, are they able to do that? If you try to construct a floor or something between the staircases in the second picture, does that job get done?

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Does cancelling a designation work on the Z axis like designating burrows does? I suspect that I got too excited at a "You have struck <vein name>!" announcement and designated a vein in the ceiling to be mined, but I honestly don't know where that is. So I'm gonna drag a big ol' dx through the whole cavern level and try to start the digging plans over.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

vibratingsheep posted:

Does cancelling a designation work on the Z axis like designating burrows does? I suspect that I got too excited at a "You have struck <vein name>!" announcement and designated a vein in the ceiling to be mined, but I honestly don't know where that is. So I'm gonna drag a big ol' dx through the whole cavern level and try to start the digging plans over.

Yeah, "remove designation" is also a designation, and making designations was made using Z-axis too a couple years ago.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Dev blog!

quote:

I decided to go with a stepladder tool. Dwarves can build them, carry them around and climb up on them to access an extra 3x3x2 block of potential fruit above their heads (not including whatever is sitting around in the 3x3 on the ground). When a dwarf is standing on the ladder, they appear one z-level above it, and they have a hold on it in a way which'll hopefully translate to things like climbing statues or standing on tables in the future. I allowed reach from the ladder to go up 2 levels since many trees don't end up with fruit-bearing branches 1 level above the ground (and the higher fruit will still be inaccessible even with this system, though you could build a platform or something). I still have a bit more to do to keep the system moving quickly and allowing dwarves to retain the ladder between jobs if they aren't returning with their fruit haul.

We need a "balance" attribute of some kind, I want my baddy dwarves to fall off a ladder and knock themselves out.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Urist cancels pick fruit: no ladder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Urist has been sad lately. He has experienced vertigo lately.