Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
It's like if someone had Nathan Bedford Forest as their avatar and went around claiming they just really admire his work as a cavalry officer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Political Whores posted:

Something I wanted to touch on:

Plenty of racists claim not to see race. Plenty of racists claim to be concerned with "true discrimination". Jrod has repeatedly outed himself in this thread as racist. Remember the "innate superiority of the west" discussion we had? Not to mention his weaselly justifications for accepting things like Hoppe and his ideas of natural variance between the races.

The idiotic doublethink he engages in to convince himself that he is the one who really cares is why he seems naïve. People claiming "not to see race" are as a
group are idiot privileged children, but Jrod has defended blatantly racist statements. He is 100% a terrible human being, as bad as any freeper spouting off about urban ferals.

JRode totally worries about the blahs. It's just that given the choice, instead of helping them via things like prison reform, drug reform, fixing the Voting Rights Act, his main priority is to focus on eliminating welfare so that they can get off their lazy asses and be the proud, productive citizens JRode knows they can be.

jrodefeld
Sep 22, 2012

by Shine

Caros posted:

I'm glad you aren't racist and actually give a gently caress about racism in general! But...

Welfare is not the cause of this. Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc. The availability of welfare has not destroyed the black family. It can certainly be argued that there are things in the state that have severely hosed over the african american community, and I agree with you that we should change many of these, such as our prison culture. The idea that keeping black people from starving to death by giving them a small stipend on which they can loving survive causes them to break up their familes and refuse to seek out work is offensive as gently caress. Where is this same behavior in white people, or hispanic, or asian? Why is it only black people whose culture has collapsed because Uncle Sam is now the father in the relationship.

This is honest to loving god what Hans Hermann Hoppe is saying. I'm not trying to be 'gotcha' with this, I am trying to make you understand that this is what Hans Hermann Hoppe means when he says forced integration is a bad thing. The forced integration he is talking about is the inability of whites to physically remove those who they do not like from their neighborhoods.

Most if not all, yes. There are some issues with security and economics, but by and large the opposition in the united states to a more open immigration policy is essentially indivisible from a discussion about race due to decades of focus on that issue. Moreover that is the only issue I think HHH cares about.

Absolutely! There are real discussions to be had about immigration, but pretending that race isn't the driving factor of the person who's ideas you have appropriated as a primary basis of your own is being deluded at best.

I agree, now that you state it this way you are making a point. My point was that the talking points you used before are ones that are specifically used as dog whistle racism and I think you need to understand that. There are genuine concerns to be had about people coming across the border and taking advantage of certain social services. But when you phrase this as "hardship for private property owners whose tax money is stressed on social services provided to new immigrants" that reads as boilerplate conservitive ranting about how the immigrants are coming to leach off society, which is so factually untrue it is laughable.

Moreover the solution to these problems is not to demonize the immigrants, or to kick them out or to cut social services. None of these things are viable and we know this from decades of trying. Bringing people into the fold via amnesty and reformed immigration is a solution that will allow these immigrant workers to actually contribute to their local areas, and is pretty much the only real and functional solution on the table.

I like to think that you are the unironic Stephen Colbert of libertarians. You don't 'see' racism when people talk, or see how race could impact a discussion. As far as I can tell it is the only way that you can read someone like Hoppe and not be disgusted at what is pretty close to naked fascism, or how you can read Molyneux talking about women hoovering up coins with her vagina and not see misogyny. Its an interesting skill to have, but it makes you seem dangerously naive, and leads you to using phrases like forced integration without seeing what is wrong with them.

Its called context. Read below to find out more.

I don't speak for Hans Hermann Hoppe either, I let that racist gently caress do it for himself.

Hans Hermann Hoppe believes that Cities and towns should seceed from the US, and should in turn kick out anyone of a persuasion that they do not like. In practice this would be his covenant communities, where a township is akin to a HOA or a condo board, setting rules regarding racial, cultural or other qualities that are or are not allowed to reside or visit. This is segregation in its purest form, the sort of segregation that was legal and widespread prior to the Fair Housing Act. I honestly don't think HHH would be too broken up about people using force to set up the conditions for their neighborhoods, but even if they didn't I think it would be a relatively easy thing to kick out the blacks if they wanted to. If your city agrees not to sell anything to black people, then your property rights don't account for much when you have to drive forty miles for food and water, or when the local power grid won't supply you.

Be honest, did you read the quotes I posted from HHH? The relevent point was in the second quote where he said "mandated inter-national desegregagtion (forced integration)." So when I say that if you are against forced integration (like Hoppe) then you are pro-segregation, because Hoppe believes that they are two sides of the same coin, that desegregation by law necessarily equates to forced integration. Which makes sense, you are 'forced' to integrate with people since you can't legally deny them the right to enter your public business, or rent in a 'whites only' building etc.

Hoppe does. I think you really need to come to terms with this Jrodefeld. Hans Hermann Hoppe wants the right to segregate because he wants to only associate with people who are like him. Hans Hermann Hoppe is a racist who thinks it is forced integration that black people can live in his neighborhood. I firmly believe that you don't think this is the case, but when you use terms like forced integration, a term that is only used by HHH and by people explaining how schools were integrated in the antebellum south, you are using language that suggests that blacks and whites living together is a bad thing.

And you should. Because it is in the common good that the state desegregated the south since that was one of the most despicable human rights abuses in US history.

I was quoting Hans Hermann Hoppe who believes that forced integration is bad, and that government efforts towards it (desegregation) were good. I can't stress this enough Jrodefeld, he thinks that desegregation was bad because it forced the integration of various races.

As for the rest of this post. No, that is not true at all. We can go back and look at the rate at which states desegregated and see that segregation in businesses ended long after Jim Crowe laws were repealed.

It isn't code language you obnoxious gently caress.

Sorry, but I'm trying to be pretty loving tactful to you here after you just went ahead and said, in effect, that desegregation was a bad thing. You are loving incapable of realizing when someone is saying something racist unless, and possibly even if someone is shouting friend of the family at a black person at the top of their lungs. We have presented you time after time with evidence that HHH is a racist, and now I am telling you that you are using a phrase that is pro-segregation, and that you should seriously reconsider its use before you throw it around willy nilly.

:iceburn:

I don't think I have quoted Hoppe in quite a while yet you go on and on about him here. There is a reason why I don't do these sorts of public denouncements of people as racists, which you seem desperate that I do. The answer is two fold. In the first place, when it comes to someone like Hoppe or Rothbard who have written such an enormous amount of material, I can only read what I can and make my own judgments as to their character and motives. I have repeatedly been told that someone or other is a vile racist who said all sorts of horrible things and then when I read up on what they said, it turns out they were misquoted and their opinions distorted by their political enemies. So I don't play that game.

Second, the act of outing someone as a racist has a lot to do with dismissing a person out of hand without having to engage with any of their other arguments. If someone is found to be a racist then they are dismissed and none of their arguments are ever seriously considered ever again. There is no rational reason for this. People hold all manner of irrational prejudices yet they can still contribute to economic understanding, to philosophy or politics.

I don't think I need to defend Hoppe to defend libertarianism. He is already an outlier in libertarian circles and a controversial figure for many reasons. But I will defend Hoppe with the caveat that I am not well read enough to understand all his views with the complexity that I might like when I am defending someone.

What has been conclusively established is that Hoppe supports discrimination. Not specific discrimination mind you but the inalienable right of every private property holder to discriminate against anyone for any reason whatsoever. It should be obvious that this is not a racist position in and of itself. Yet you continually contend that Hoppe believes in this principle of discrimination because he thinks or believes that people should specifically target black people for exclusion from private establishments. But I have NEVER read anything about Hoppe singling out blacks or Jews or any other minority for exclusion from society.

From what I have read, he seems much more like an equal opportunity proponent of discrimination. He thinks that many different communities will arise in a Stateless society and each will differ greatly on whom, if anyone, they discriminate against. A fundamentalist Christian church might prohibit gays from entering the property, a KKK home might discriminate against blacks, and a black panther owned community might discriminate against whites. And a million different rules and policies regarding who can enter which property and which community.

I have never read about Hoppe singling out any group and advocating for their specific segregation or saying that people should discriminate against them.

To prove that Hoppe is a racist you have to prove that he favors the singling out of blacks for discrimination. You'd have to prove that Hoppe would personally discriminate against blacks or he would purposefully seek out a neighborhood to live that discriminated against blacks.

I don't think you have offered any such proof. I am genuinely asking because racism is a term with a specific and literal meaning. To prove such you need to demonstrate Hoppe singling out a specific race for discrimination which I don't think he has ever done.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

jrodefeld posted:

I don't think I have quoted Hoppe in quite a while yet you go on and on about him here.

"Guys that was a while ago you can't bring that up!" For loving real dude.

jrodefeld posted:

To prove that Hoppe is a racist you have to prove that he favors the singling out of blacks for discrimination.

So what, in your mind, would constitute him saying something racist? Would he literally have to say "Ship all those loving niggers back to Niggerland where they came from" for you to believe us?

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

jrodefeld posted:

I don't think I have quoted Hoppe in quite a while yet you go on and on about him here. There is a reason why I don't do these sorts of public denouncements of people as racists, which you seem desperate that I do. The answer is two fold. In the first place, when it comes to someone like Hoppe or Rothbard who have written such an enormous amount of material, I can only read what I can and make my own judgments as to their character and motives. I have repeatedly been told that someone or other is a vile racist who said all sorts of horrible things and then when I read up on what they said, it turns out they were misquoted and their opinions distorted by their political enemies. So I don't play that game.

Second, the act of outing someone as a racist has a lot to do with dismissing a person out of hand without having to engage with any of their other arguments. If someone is found to be a racist then they are dismissed and none of their arguments are ever seriously considered ever again. There is no rational reason for this. People hold all manner of irrational prejudices yet they can still contribute to economic understanding, to philosophy or politics.

I don't think I need to defend Hoppe to defend libertarianism. He is already an outlier in libertarian circles and a controversial figure for many reasons. But I will defend Hoppe with the caveat that I am not well read enough to understand all his views with the complexity that I might like when I am defending someone.

What has been conclusively established is that Hoppe supports discrimination. Not specific discrimination mind you but the inalienable right of every private property holder to discriminate against anyone for any reason whatsoever. It should be obvious that this is not a racist position in and of itself. Yet you continually contend that Hoppe believes in this principle of discrimination because he thinks or believes that people should specifically target black people for exclusion from private establishments. But I have NEVER read anything about Hoppe singling out blacks or Jews or any other minority for exclusion from society.

From what I have read, he seems much more like an equal opportunity proponent of discrimination. He thinks that many different communities will arise in a Stateless society and each will differ greatly on whom, if anyone, they discriminate against. A fundamentalist Christian church might prohibit gays from entering the property, a KKK home might discriminate against blacks, and a black panther owned community might discriminate against whites. And a million different rules and policies regarding who can enter which property and which community.

I have never read about Hoppe singling out any group and advocating for their specific segregation or saying that people should discriminate against them.

To prove that Hoppe is a racist you have to prove that he favors the singling out of blacks for discrimination. You'd have to prove that Hoppe would personally discriminate against blacks or he would purposefully seek out a neighborhood to live that discriminated against blacks.

I don't think you have offered any such proof. I am genuinely asking because racism is a term with a specific and literal meaning. To prove such you need to demonstrate Hoppe singling out a specific race for discrimination which I don't think he has ever done.

Hans Hermann Hoppe's "Property and Freedom Society" hosted white supremacists, specifically Jared "Racial Realist" Taylor and Richard "Bell Curve" Lynn. Why would a man host these kind of degenerates unless he on some level agreed with their positions? Would the Property and Freedom Society ever host Negri or Zizek? No, they would not.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

jrodefeld posted:

Hoppe posted:

What should one hope for and advocate as the relatively correct immigration policy, however, as long as the democratic central state is still in place and successfully arrogates the power to determine a uniform national immigration policy?[...]More specifically, it means distinguishing strictly between "citizens" (naturalized immigrants) and "resident aliens" and excluding the latter from all welfare entitlements. It means requiring as necessary, for resident alien status as well as for citizenship, the personal sponsorship by a resident citizen and his assumption of liability for all property damage caused by the immigrant. It implies requiring an existing employment contract with a resident citizen; moreover, for both categories but especially that of citizenship, it implies that all immigrants must demonstrate through tests not only (English) language proficiency, but all-around superior (above-average) intellectual performance and character structure as well as a compatible system of values – with the predictable result of a systematic pro-European immigration bias

Hoppe: A just system inherently discriminates against non-whites. QED

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

SedanChair posted:

Hoppe: A just system inherently discriminates against non-whites. QED

No but he doesn't single out blacks because there are black people in Europe therefore not racist checkmate racist

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

An experiment. When Hoppe says something like this:

quote:

Furthermore, insurers would also be particularly interested in gathering information on potential (not yet committed and known) crimes and aggressors, and this would lead to a fundamental overhaul of and improvement in current — statist — crime statistics. In order to predict the future incidence of crime and thus calculate its current price (premium), insurers would correlate the frequency, description, and character of crimes and criminals with the social surroundings in which they occur and operate. And always under competitive pressure, they would develop and continually refine an elaborate system of demographic and social crime indicators. That is, every neighborhood would be described, and its risk assessed, in terms of a multitude of crime indicators, such as the composition of the inhabitants’ sexes, age groups, races, nationalities, ethnicities, religions, languages, professions, and incomes. [...]

Unlike states, [insurers] could and would not want to disregard the discriminating inclinations among the insured towards immigrants. To the contrary, even more so than any one of their clients, insurers would be interested in discrimination, i.e., in admitting only those immigrants whose presence adds to a lower crime risk and increased property values and in excluding those whose presence leads to a higher risk and lower property values. That is, rather than eliminating discrimination, insurers would rationalize and perfect its practice.

Can anyone see the racism in here? I'm choosing something that is fairly obvious, but still not out and out saying "whites are superior". If you can't see the racism in this, or it seems reasonable to you, congratulations, you are racist.

Political Whores fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jan 23, 2015

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Ooh ooh is it race as a "crime indicator"?

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011
"Blacks and whites are different. When blacks are left entirely to their own devices, Western civilization — any kind of civilization — disappears."
-Jared Taylor, "racial realist" and speaker at Hans Hermann Hoppe's Property and Freedom Society.

But of course there is no reason to suspect HHH is affiliated with white supremacists or has white supremacist tendencies.

jrodefeld
Sep 22, 2012

by Shine

Cemetry Gator posted:

These are the things I notice with Jrod that makes him hard to talk to.

1. He likes to go on meaningless tangents about how great Libertarian thinkers are. Notice how he'll often post about some dude's philosophy or something that isn't really related to the conversation?
2. He likes to be long-winded as gently caress. Dude never met a sentence he couldn't turn into a paragraph. And the thing is that it's not because he's speaking about this stuff on a higher level. Most of my posts aimed at him have been of the "I'm a dickbag and I'm going to pick apart your two hour argument in five minutes" variety. He's just using lots of purple prose and flowery language that he thinks makes him look more advanced, but it just makes him look like a pretentious twat.
3. He likes to propose solutions that miss the entire point. His whole philosophy is built on logical leaps and assumptions.
4. Instead of engaging with people who meaningfully engage with him, he instead focuses on the posts that are attacking him, digging himself deeper into holes that he doesn't want to go. For someone who hates talking about racism so much, he's spent a lot of time trying to show how he is not a racist. So instead of focusing on the meaningful posts with lots of content, he tends to focus on the low content posts.
5. He likes to paint people he doesn't like as leftist progressives, like that's a terrible thing.

And then he says poo poo like htis:

Excuse me, but Mr. Jrodefeld, what loving planet are you from? People on the right are full of piss, vinegar, and vitriol. Have you heard Sarah Palin speak? Did you read this article? http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...MP=share_btn_fb

Do you read comments on news websites? Have you ever read WND? Have you heard of Debbie Schlussel? Michelle Malkin?

These are not people who are kind and courteous and polite. They are on the right, and they are not keeping things more civil.

Do you pay any attention to politics?

This is why we respond with vitriol to you! Because you say stupid poo poo like this that just doesn't reflect reality and makes us wonder what planet you are really from.

I've already conceded that I was wrong. I don't know why I said that actually. I somehow was just thinking about the very small number of conservatives I talk to in my day to day life (most of my friends are left wing) and I somehow totally forgot about Fox News, talk radio, and all the evidence that points towards the vitriol and hatred expressed by conservatives. You are right and I am wrong on this.

I don't think most of you are outright Marxists but it is definitely true that Marxists have a very hard time keeping their cool when they are talking to someone who believes in capitalism. To this people, capitalists (as in defenders of the political and economic ideology) aren't just well meaning but misguided but rather they are evil. This is my experience anyway.

But this whole thing is a stupid diversion anyway. The point is that we should keep ad hominems and outbursts of hatred out of a civil discussion.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

jrodefeld posted:

I've already conceded that I was wrong. I don't know why I said that actually. I somehow was just thinking about the very small number of conservatives I talk to in my day to day life (most of my friends are left wing) and I somehow totally forgot about Fox News, talk radio, and all the evidence that points towards the vitriol and hatred expressed by conservatives. You are right and I am wrong on this.

I don't think most of you are outright Marxists but it is definitely true that Marxists have a very hard time keeping their cool when they are talking to someone who believes in capitalism. To this people, capitalists (as in defenders of the political and economic ideology) aren't just well meaning but misguided but rather they are evil. This is my experience anyway.

But this whole thing is a stupid diversion anyway. The point is that we should keep ad hominems and outbursts of hatred out of a civil discussion.

Then stop doing it. You're throwing out lame, false ad-homs in this very post, coward.

In fact, how about you altogether refrain from saying poo poo you know isn't true, like "all wars were financed with fiat money" and "Hoppe isn't an explicit, deliberate racist."

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

jrodefeld posted:

I don't know what you are talking about here. Any legal contract stipulates that the two parties agree to act in a certain way. If they don't act in the way specified the contract is broken and a penalty forthcoming, their reputation will be affected and people will be unwilling to sign contracts with them in the future.

We don't say that my "rights are being taken away" because I agree to do something or not to do something else.

If what I said was "a loving awful position to take", then you are disagreeing with the entire concept of a legal contract. How would any society prosper if people couldn't enter into legally binding contracts?

The problem is that people are not robots. People are subject to pressure, duress, and coercion. If you permit people to give away their rights via contract, then you create a society that is essentially run on violence. If your society has certain inalienable rights, then you should not be able to give away those rights under any circumstance.

In your society, I could point a loaded gun at you and "encourage" you to sign a contract giving me unlimited access to everything that you own. You're arguing that this situation is not only necessary but also perfectly acceptable.

jrodefeld posted:

The issue about war and its profitability has been discussed before. We are arguing over definitions. Yes, people will fight and criminals will engage in violence in order to profit from it. This is not what I am talking about. I am talking about whether or not established businesses or security firms in a free market economy will choose to wage open war on other businesses. I am saying that they will not because the incentives and cost would be too great. It is not that it is impossible per se, but that economic incentives and the desire for profits would make it unlikely.

Groups will wage war on other groups for profit. You're stating very confidently that the incentives are too poor and the costs are too great for private enterprise to engage in warfare, but you don't actually know anything about the costs or the incentives. The incentives don't even have to be financial; plenty of groups, big or small, with or without a state being involved, have gone to war for a variety of reasons. The fact of the matter is that countless private enterprises throughout history have done the exact thing that you claim they would never do: they engaged in war for profit.

quote:

I cannot understand why you can't concede at least that the existence of a State and a fiat currency makes it easier and more likely that a nation will go to war. This is fairly elementary. There may be a lot of gang warfare and small time criminal behavior, but waging a modern war effort using a modern military would be extremely difficult if you couldn't outsource the cost of that effort to taxpayers or monetize the cost through money printing.

Really, what do you even think "modern war" is? If you're imagining World War 2, then you're way behind the times (as usual). Modern warfare is still most often guys with guns shooting at each other. The guns have improved, and we've added all sorts of additional toys into the mix, but you don't need the F-22 or a battalion of tanks in order to engage in a "modern war".

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

jrodefeld posted:

No it doesn't. Politicians have the legal authority to use initiatory force while businessmen do not. People who work for a business or buy products from one do so by choice, voluntarily.

The difference is literally the difference between rape and making love. The difference of course is the consent or lack thereof.

NEWSFLASH: in an ancap society, the laws will be made by the people with the most money. This means that the wealthy will be the politicians, they just won't be called politicians. In other words, it'll be a feudal society. Poor people can do whatever they want so long as they don't step too far out of line and get murdered by a rich guy's personal thugs.

Also, I love it when libertarians make rape analogies completely out of the blue. And followed by a huge Mises quote? You never stop giving me things to laugh at

quote:

It is clear to me that people who think of free market capitalism as a sort of neo-feudalism are very confused and misguided. The businessman does not "rule" over us but rather must serve us as a producer. There is no similarity between an oppressive ruler of a State that gets its funding from coercive taxation and wields a monopoly on the use of force in a given geographical area, and a market entrepreneur whose great wealth is predicated only on the degree to which he serves consumers.

You're too naive to see the outcome of the scenario that you describe.

If I'm a wealthy business owner, perhaps the only one in the region who produces chairs, then it's in my rational self-interest to crush any chair-making business that grows above a certain size. I don't have to make a law that makes chair businesses above a certain size illegal; I can just hire thugs to burn down any chair-making business that grows above a certain size. In this way, I have imposed my will upon the people even if I'm not officially described as a "ruler". I am king of the chair making business, and my word is law even if the law is not codified.

Taking the analogy further, have you ever heard of a company town? I suggest that you look that up before you start talking about the state's monopoly on force; believe me, there are plenty of examples where private enterprise has shown that it is perfectly capable of wielding force, when permitted.

quote:

Great gains of wealth are almost always transitory. People have a very productive few years, earn a lot of money in a short period and then fall down to middle class once more. The great wealth accumulated by the most shrewd of businessmen are usually frittered away by an idle progeny who lack the entrepreneurial skills of their parent(s).

Hah, you really do have an extremely naive view of the world, and you have almost no understanding of history at all. Oh man, if only you would branch out to non-libertarian authors and start reading about what the world is really like. You have so, so much to learn.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

jrodefeld posted:

Again, comparing the State or feudalism to free market capitalism is exactly analogous to comparing rape and love making. Let's make this real. The State is Bill Cosby and the free market is Leonardo DiCaprio. Both had or have sex with a lot of women. But the difference is critical. Bill Cosby used his power and influence to drug and rape tons of women while Leonardo DiCaprio woos and seduces lots of women with his charm, good looks or whatever else he has to offer. It is the use of violence and coercion that makes Bill Cosby a vile racist and DiCaprio just an innocent charmer and playboy.

Jesus Christ, dude. A rape analogy AND race-baiting? Come on, surely this is some sort of gimmick

Caros
May 14, 2008

jrodefeld posted:

Show me one other libertarian, hell one other intellectual thinker who uses the phrase "Forced integration" and I'll back right the gently caress down, but I don't think for a moment you can. Just because you aren't using his name doesn't mean you aren't parroting back his beliefs almost verbatim.

And you know what, even if you are just arguing from your own personal viewpoint then it is even worse. What the gently caress does forced integration mean to you if it isn't coming from Hoppe. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt in assuming that you are simply parroting racist poo poo instead of actively spewing it yourself. If you'd like to correct me on that be my guest, but I don't think you'll be happy doing so.

As for the suggestion that we are quoting Hoppe out of context, you know that isn't true. You want it not to be true because it probably hurts your brain to read his racist poo poo and defend it, but it is. Go back and read the sections I quoted you and then please tell me in what context you think the phrase: "The result of this policy of non-discrimination is forced integration: the forcing of masses of inferior immigrants onto domestic property owners" is ever an appropriate thing to say. Go ahead, I'll wait.

quote:

Do you not think we should dismiss racists out of hand? If I personally think that we should drive the niggers, fags, jews and spics out of our country do you think that I should be listened to on the national stage? Do you think that I should be one of the pre-eminent thinkers in my field? Do your really not think that Hans Hermann Hoppe's vile racism informs every aspect of his economic theory, especially when large swaths of that economic theory seem to be dedicated to economic systems where it is encouraged to exclude others and where "The Natural Social Elites" rule over everyone by dint of superior genetics?

I don't think someone who is an avowed racist has much of anything to offer in TTYOL 2015. If someone is still up their own rear end about the inferiority of other human beings in the modern era then I happily take anything they say with a mountain of salt. On top of all of that however, HHH is loving wrong. About everything. I can't actually point to a single major economic or political idea which he has come up with that I do not find makes me queasy.

quote:

Yet you base your loving immigration policy onto him. If you want I will go back to your opening post and find passage for passage that you have drawn essentially ALL of your inspiration from him, and I know I can do this because as you say, Hoppe is an outlier when it comes to immigration. If he is such an outlier then why do you constantly reference him and let his disgusting views impact your take on some of the most basic things such as freedom of movement.

quote:

Yeah. That is bad. Supporting discrimination is bad. I'm sorry that you find it difficult to believe that a man who vocally talks about the superiority of europeans and western culture, who considers the civil rights act a mistake and who talks about genetically superior naturally social elites is probably racism. This is what I am talking about when I say that you cannot understand anything that is not overt. This isn't even reading between the lines like talking about welfare queens, this is you skipping every second line that talks about white supremacy.

Racism is a thing JRodefeld, its just that most racists who work at public universities, or just most racists in general, don't usually walk around saying how much they hate the friend of the family because... well... yeah take a guess why. Just because he doesn't outright say it doesn't mean that it isn't blaringly obvious if you read his work. A man who goes around saying that the civil rights act was a mistake, that immigration is bad unless it is europeans, that western culture is the best, that homosexuals have poor time preference... these are things that tell you about the man. But of course since he didn't SAY it I guess we'll just never know.

quote:

I will agree. I cannot empirically prove that Hans Hermann Hoppe is a racist. I don't have documents of him writing "I hate black people", or of him saying how he wants to deport the negro. What I do have is a mountain of circumstantial evidence that all point in that direction, and effectively nothing to the contrary. I get that isn't enough for you, but lets not pretend the writing is not on the wall just because you have your hands over your eyes.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Caros posted:

I will agree. I cannot empirically prove that Hans Hermann Hoppe is a racist. I don't have documents of him writing "I hate black people", or of him saying how he wants to deport the negro. What I do have is a mountain of circumstantial evidence that all point in that direction, and effectively nothing to the contrary. I get that isn't enough for you, but lets not pretend the writing is not on the wall just because you have your hands over your eyes.

I can, I already proved it. I've noticed you sometimes have a problem recognizing forms of racism more subtle than saying "I hate blacks" as well.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

QuarkJets posted:

Hah, you really do have an extremely naive view of the world, and you have almost no understanding of history at all. Oh man, if only you would branch out to non-libertarian authors and start reading about what the world is really like. You have so, so much to learn.

I totally missed this last bit. Wow. Add "actual wealth disparity" to the long list of things jrode knows nothing about.

I don't know, something tells me that the people who've inherited 4/5th of the wealth in the country are safe from pissing it all away on sports cars and caviar, regardless of whether or not they lack the entrepreneurial spirit of their parents.

jrodefeld
Sep 22, 2012

by Shine

SedanChair posted:

I already told you, the economics program at George Mason has no credibility. You can choose to believe your incestuous inner circle that this is not true, but it is.

Well Walter Williams earned his economics degrees at Cal State and UCLA so I don't see how his current teaching position reflects on his education or knowledge. Whatever your opinion on George Mason, it has little to do with the credibility of Walter Williams as an economist or commentator.

Don't just make these claims without evidence. Why does George Mason have "no credibility"? And how does that make Williams a "fake" intellectual? How does that reflect upon his knowledge or education which did NOT take place at that university?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Its worth pointing out, as others that Hoppe founded the Property and Freedom Society. I'm going to bed but I recommend anyone who staying up mine this new gold. For example, the PFS is labeled as: "serious academic racist event" populated by the "movers and shakers" of the racialist movement."

Just looking at wikipedia I recognize Jared Taylor, Richard Lynn and Richard B. Spencer all as Thomas DiLorenzo just to round out the jackasses. I especially like the presentation labeled "Why are the Jews so Smart?

Caros
May 14, 2008

SedanChair posted:

I can, I already proved it. I've noticed you sometimes have a problem recognizing forms of racism more subtle than saying "I hate blacks" as well.

No no, I mean I can't prove it to Jrod's satisfaction. I already posted that exact thing upthread and Jrod ignored it so clearly it isn't proof enough. You see what hoppe actually meant there is *Sound a wet fart makes*

Also... you gotta hurt my feelings like that man? Is this payback for when I made that "Even for you" crack? :(

Caros fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jan 23, 2015

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

jrodefeld posted:

Well Walter Williams earned his economics degrees at Cal State and UCLA so I don't see how his current teaching position reflects on his education or knowledge. Whatever your opinion on George Mason, it has little to do with the credibility of Walter Williams as an economist or commentator.

Don't just make these claims without evidence. Why does George Mason have "no credibility"? And how does that make Williams a "fake" intellectual? How does that reflect upon his knowledge or education which did NOT take place at that university?

The market obviously provided employment for him.

Jrod if I could create a government job for you that compensated you four times as much as your best paying job and was funded by a grant from a private entrepreneur who wanted that job done, would you take it?

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

jrodefeld posted:

Why does George Mason have "no credibility"?

He's a doofus.[1]

[1]This really happened.

jrodefeld
Sep 22, 2012

by Shine

paragon1 posted:

Good thing taxes aren't force then, you mealy mouthed gently caress!

Also established businesses in the private sector actually have waged war successfully in the the past.

One of the main activities of Dutch captains in the 16th century was raiding Spanish shipping! These men weren't considered criminals in the Netherlands by the way, quite the opposite. They had public investors and everything.

Also the British East India company conquered like half of India.

Now I know you are going to ignore all of this like the intellectual coward that you are, but I would like you to answer a question, since no one else of your political persuasion has done so for me.

Please define two terms:
1. crony capitalist
2. capitalist entrepreneur.

I've answered this question many times but I'll do so again. A crony capitalist is someone who uses the political means, either entirely or partially, to acquire wealth and market share. They use the State and the law to create an artificial advantage for themselves such that consumers have less influence on their success or failure.

A market entrepreneur is someone who starts a business, risks their own capital and is dependent on consumer demand and preference for their profits or losses. Their economic associations with both workers and customers are voluntary and not coercive.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Do capitalists have x-ray vision?

jrodefeld
Sep 22, 2012

by Shine

SedanChair posted:

It's probably easy for you to forget about right-wing media, because forgetting helps you feel like you're not a pet that right-wingers take for a walk around the block to attract chicks young voters. Forgetting helps you feel like these ideas aren't the most ridiculous form of putting a pseudo-intellectual veneer on pure FYGM, beyond even climate change denial.

If this relationship between right wingers and libertarians is as cozy as you suggest, why is it that the GOP routinely denigrates and insults libertarian ideas and Ron Paul was treated as badly as he was by Fox News and the Republican Party during his 08 and 2012 runs for president? If they wanted to attract libertarian votes they would have treated him with respect and given him a prime time speech at the GOP convention. They did not and as a result there is a generation of younger voters who hate the Republican Party and will now vote third party of not participate in politics.

Sure the GOP would like libertarian votes, but they are not likely to get them. In fact, there are a whole bunch of libertarians, myself included, who won't even vote for Rand Paul.

jrodefeld
Sep 22, 2012

by Shine

Mr Interweb posted:

JRode totally worries about the blahs. It's just that given the choice, instead of helping them via things like prison reform, drug reform, fixing the Voting Rights Act, his main priority is to focus on eliminating welfare so that they can get off their lazy asses and be the proud, productive citizens JRode knows they can be.

Have you ever actually listened to any libertarian commentary?! Prison reform and drug reform are two of the absolute highest priorities. You can't hardly get a libertarian to shut up about those subjects. In fact, to me, those two issues are FAR more important to fix as a priority than food stamps or welfare benefits.

Go listen to the Scott Horton Show or read some commentary by Will Grigg. If you actually expose yourself to libertarian commentary you would see how seriously we take those issues, because you clearly have no loving idea what you are talking about.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

jrodefeld posted:

I've answered this question many times but I'll do so again. A crony capitalist is someone who uses the political means, either entirely or partially, to acquire wealth and market share. They use the State and the law to create an artificial advantage for themselves such that consumers have less influence on their success or failure.

A market entrepreneur is someone who starts a business, risks their own capital and is dependent on consumer demand and preference for their profits or losses. Their economic associations with both workers and customers are voluntary and not coercive.

Why would any capitalist, crony or otherwise, not use any available advantage? Isn't the end-goal of your philosophy to create wealth for yourself? If they're already willing to lobby the State to operate in their favor, why would they play by the rules when it's gone? Is your entire worldview predicated upon the honor system?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

jrodefeld posted:

Have you ever actually listened to any libertarian commentary?! Prison reform and drug reform are two of the absolute highest priorities. You can't hardly get a libertarian to shut up about those subjects. In fact, to me, those two issues are FAR more important to fix as a priority than food stamps or welfare benefits.

Go listen to the Scott Horton Show or read some commentary by Will Grigg. If you actually expose yourself to libertarian commentary you would see how seriously we take those issues, because you clearly have no loving idea what you are talking about.

It's good to know that while you ultimately believe the starving poor should be subject to the whims and capabilities of local charity, you also totally care about legalizing weed first.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

jrodefeld posted:

If this relationship between right wingers and libertarians is as cozy as you suggest, why is it that the GOP routinely denigrates and insults libertarian ideas and Ron Paul was treated as badly as he was by Fox News and the Republican Party during his 08 and 2012 runs for president?
For the same reason that Democratic folks (including much of D&D) denigrated and insulted Hillary Clinton in 2008. An unwelcome underdog who remains in-the-running long after they've lost any hope of contention, undermines the spirit of party unity, raises uncomfortable questions which the frontrunner is forced to evade, and radicalizes their own hardcore voting bloc (respectively: freemen-on-the-land, women) so that they're less likely to rally behind the party's candidate (or vote in downticket races, or contribute to future fundraising efforts, etc).

quote:

If they wanted to attract libertarian votes they would have treated him with respect and given him a prime time speech at the GOP convention. They did not and as a result there is a generation of younger voters who hate the Republican Party and will now vote third party of not participate in politics.
They do want to attract libertarian voters, but not to the extent of losing the general election. Giving Ron Paul a prime-time speech at the GOP convention would probably result in several assertions about the unconstitutionality of torture, the need to pull out of Iraq, and the importance of returning to the Gold Standard. Undecided (low-info) voters who hear such unorthodox statements may interpret them as the official RNC platform. Mitt would be forced into damage-control mode. Not worth the risk.

SedanChair has characterized Libertarians as pets of the Republican party. It's possible to love your pet yet still leave it penned up in the backyard while you go out drinking with your buddies. Your pet is not the #1 priority in your life.

jrodefeld
Sep 22, 2012

by Shine

Literally The Worst posted:

"Guys that was a while ago you can't bring that up!" For loving real dude.

So what, in your mind, would constitute him saying something racist? Would he literally have to say "Ship all those loving niggers back to Niggerland where they came from" for you to believe us?

You have to demonstrate that he thinks blacks are inherently inferior due to their race. Pretty simple. Short of that, what you could correctly say of Hoppe is that "he says thinks that I am offended by" or "that statement is offensive". That is perfectly fine as a criticism. But someone saying they believe in the right of discrimination by private property owners for any reason whatsoever is NOT racist.

For all we know, a free society envisioned by Hoppe might have more businesses or private communities that discriminate against Germans than against blacks or any other minority. And you know that Hoppe would defend to his death the right of private business to discriminate against Germans. That wouldn't make him a racist against himself.

If he is as overt a racist as is assumed, then why wouldn't he explicitly single out blacks and say something to the effect that "the natural order has no place for an inferior race" or that "all rational actors would no doubt discriminate against blacks due to their obvious inferiority". But he never, to my knowledge, says anything remotely like this. Therefore he cannot be called a racist.

The extent of what is happening here, I think, is that some of the things Hoppe says reminds you in some way of what Southern defenders of segregation said in the 1950s, so you are inferring from that that Hoppe is a racist because he used these "code" words that have a certain connotation for you. Even though it is clear that the private law society envisioned by Hoppe is absolutely, categorically different in every respect from the segregated South.

I am open to having it conclusively proven that Hoppe is a racist but there is a burden of proof you have to fulfill for that accusation to stick. Hoppe isn't my favorite libertarian and I haven't read more than a small percent of his output, the little I have read I found intriguing and thought provoking. If he was an out and out bigot and this could be proven, I'd move on and simply focus on the thousands of other anarchist and libertarian authors and commentators on the left and right who don't hold any such irrational prejudices in their heads.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

jrodefeld posted:

Then most of the people you have derided as crony capitalists in Caros's posting are in fact market entrepreneurs or work for someone who is a market entrepreneurs. You are, once again!, refusing to acknowledge negative qualities in people you claim to trust and admire.

Now please address the post on the in-elasticity of medical care that several people have been kind enough to point out for you.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

He doesn't just hate blacks. He hates all non-whites.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

*starts an organization that caters to and promotes white supremacists*

He never literally said "I am a racist, specifically against black people." so I guess we can never know how Hoppe really felt :downs:

You're such a disingenuous piece of poo poo jrode

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I'm seriously struggling to think of anyone who actually meets jrod's definition of crony capitalism outside of like, the dole fruit company a few decades ago, and maybe companies like Lockheed-Martin.

Unless what he actually means is anyone who ever gets a contract from the government ever.

Like seriously Caros either very few people today actually meet your definition of crony capitalist or a huge percentage of America's wealthy do.

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jan 23, 2015

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

jrodefeld posted:

Don't just make these claims without evidence.

:ironicat:

Each and every one of your posts is a long string of blind assertions, you idiot.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

paragon1 posted:

Now please address the post on the in-elasticity of medical care that several people have been kind enough to point out for you.

Nah, I want him to post more alt history fan fiction.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

jrodefeld posted:

Oh I know libertarians talk about such things, but you're insane if you think those priorities are anywhere near the top. I don't see a flurry of bills being introduced in the Republican congress trying to decriminalize marijuana, yet for some unknown reason we have a never ending tsunami of legislation cutting welfare programs.

Imagine that.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
im personally against abortion, mr interweb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jrodefeld
Sep 22, 2012

by Shine

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

Hans Hermann Hoppe's "Property and Freedom Society" hosted white supremacists, specifically Jared "Racial Realist" Taylor and Richard "Bell Curve" Lynn. Why would a man host these kind of degenerates unless he on some level agreed with their positions? Would the Property and Freedom Society ever host Negri or Zizek? No, they would not.

I don't agree with Jared Taylor on much at all with regards to his views on race. Richard Lynn, whatever one thinks of The Bell Curve, cannot be rightly described as a white supremacist. I don't know much about the science of racial differences in average IQ levels or if they exist. But it should be noted that Lynn observed the highest average IQ in Asians NOT Europeans. We don't know that Lynn's research is motivated by racial or supremacist attitudes. Again, i'd like to see proof of this. I have no idea what the empirical data says with regards to racial differences in IQ averages. But if there is evidence to that effect, then it is the scientists job to report what data suggests. Any study in this field, by its very nature, is incredibly controversial and politically incorrect. But that doesn't necessarily imply that it is incorrect. I have no idea but I'd like proof that Lynn has racist or supremacist motivations.

I don't know what Hoppe agrees or disagrees on with these men. But my understanding is that the "Property and Freedom Society" was established out of a frustration at mainstream academia for censoring controversial positions and academic research. As such the organization will host speakers whose work is controversial. That doesn't imply agreement with the speakers.

I can't justify calling Hoppe a racist through this guilt by association tactic. Maybe he provided a platform for these men because he loathes academic censorship and political correctness and feels that people who have controversial ideas should still have a platform to express their views?