Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Dienes posted:

What's really telling in this one is how defensive Rothfuss is about it. He knows drat well how sexist it is, but he is too in love with it to change it and instead tries to insult the reader preemptively.

Then there's the Rothfuss fans who are women who defend him endlessly. There's a bit of an overlap there with Terry Goodkind fans as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Don Gato posted:

That's going in the book of grudges! Warhammer dwarfs aren't scottish, they're far northern Englishmen.

Mancunians are basically Scottish.

Liverpudlian's on the other hand are Irish.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute

there wolf posted:

Not really. Rice built a pretty complete world with a ton of lore explaining everything you could possibly want to know about her vampires. The thing that struck me most about Meyer, and always comes to mind when people talk about how the books could be better, is the total lack of interest in really expanding the story beyond the two characters falling in love and Bella's fairytale ending. As I've said, I don't really like Rice that much but Twilight is such a poor copy that it makes me appreciate her work a little more.

This may be true, but her world building always eventually falls by the wayside so she can wank it for a few hundred pages about how amazing Lestat is. Don't get me wrong, Twilight is dire, but Anne Rice knows how to take something good and run it into the ground so hard it breaks.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Anita Blake surely has some material for this thread, given the books apparently devolve into one woman's quest to gently caress all the vampires and werewolves.

C.M. Kruger posted:

Varley also made a big chart about how his centaur aliens that speak in music reproduce:

For a second I thought you meant Andalites.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Anita Blake surely has some material for this thread, given the books apparently devolve into one woman's quest to gently caress all the vampires and werewolves.

For a second I thought you meant Andalites.

Werewolves and werepanthers and weretigers and werehyenas and wereswans and... Such a damned shame, I enjoyed reading the first few as pulp shlock from a woman's perspective.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Sometimes I wonder if that sort of thing happens because an author becomes successful and can write about their fetishes without worrying about effecting sales, or if they discover they've stumbled upon a very specific fanbase and decide to lean into it to keep moving books.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Crowetron posted:

Sometimes I wonder if that sort of thing happens because an author becomes successful and can write about their fetishes without worrying about effecting sales, or if they discover they've stumbled upon a very specific fanbase and decide to lean into it to keep moving books.

The happiest marriages are when both happen at once.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

PJOmega posted:

Then there's the Rothfuss fans who are women who defend him endlessly.

I assume his smell is making them stupid internalize misogyny.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That wouldn't even be the main reason for including that series in this thread. I've only read one of them (Kiss the Dead - book 21), but it was basically fascist propaganda. With sex scenes.

Oh, and also she's weirdly obsessive about people's heights. Every character's height is compared with the other characters around them. Like, even characters who barely say or do anything will have their height mentioned. That's obviously not the worst thing about the book, but it stands out because it's so odd and unnecessary.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Was it on recommendation of this thread that I read the first Merry Gentry book? It was fun trash except for all the monster-loving baiting. Why put that in multiple times if you're not going to go there?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

there wolf posted:

Interview came out two years before Hotel Transylvania. I did check before posting that claim about Rice's influence because I knew they came out around the same time.

Yarbro had written at least one vampire short story before Interview came out. I think the only influence was that it was easier for her to get a book deal for HT after the success of Interview.

There really is zero influence either way in terms of characterization.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

AlbieQuirky posted:

Yarbro had written at least one vampire short story before Interview came out. I think the only influence was that it was easier for her to get a book deal for HT after the success of Interview.

There really is zero influence either way in terms of characterization.

Before of after Rice wrote her short story that lead to Interview?! Really just loving around at this point. I don' think Yarbo is derivative of Rice, just what you said about publishers probably being a lot more interested in her non-Dracula vampire story after another one had done well. I still consider that kind of publisher filtering to be a part of a book/series' influence; similarities can be coincidental in the creation, but they become important when people are handing out publishing deals based on them.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

there wolf posted:

Was it on recommendation of this thread that I read the first Merry Gentry book? It was fun trash except for all the monster-loving baiting. Why put that in multiple times if you're not going to go there?

She fucks all her cadre, and ends up with triplets, each of which has three fathers.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Tiggum posted:

That wouldn't even be the main reason for including that series in this thread. I've only read one of them (Kiss the Dead - book 21), but it was basically fascist propaganda. With sex scenes.

Oh, and also she's weirdly obsessive about people's heights. Every character's height is compared with the other characters around them. Like, even characters who barely say or do anything will have their height mentioned. That's obviously not the worst thing about the book, but it stands out because it's so odd and unnecessary.

Now I'm morbidly curious (about the outright fascist propaganda turn).

The height thing makes sense because the main character is petite and the first book has a repeated point of it's hard to stare down a vampire when you can't look them in the eye (because vampires can mesmerize) so you end up awkwardly staring at their chest. Which of course the vampire corner of her love triangle always has bared in poet shirts.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Crowetron posted:

A little of column A, a little of column B.

The first few books have a lot of will-they-won't-they between the main character, sexy head vampire, and sexy head werewolf. Ultimately they don't, I want to say until book 3 or 4. Finally she bones down with one or both of them, and she sees her sales spike.

Around this time, she splits with her husband, who the werewolf was based on. So his character becomes abusive and controlling so she nopes out and starts boning down on whatever the flavor of the week was, with longer and longer sex scenes. Her book sales keep getting stronger, because some people were onboard for the monster boning, and people who were into the pulp were still fine with the sex scenes. Even if they were getting a bit much.

At some point, she started the Meredith Gentry series, about a half faerie, half human who was too buxom to be attractive to most faeries, who is unwillingly thrust into a breeding race with her evil half brother. Whomever had kids first would become the new head of the dark faeries, and the other would be killed. So she gets set up with 9 sexy dark faeries with Deep Tragic Backstories (tm) and after many books gets pregnant with triplets, each of the kiddos having 3 different fathers.

Suffice it to say that these were heavier on loving than plot. Most of the above knowledge is from wiki way back when, I think I got 2 books in?

I bailed on the Anita Blake series because I careened through them while riding trains bouncing around Europe and got to experience the sex creeping in a microcosm. Whatever book I was on started a non-plot relevant sex scene so I skipped the chapter on my Kindle, only for the sex scene to still be ongoing. I hit skip again and it was continuing but a fourth character had entered the mix. I laughed, closed the file, and never picked up anything else by her.

This was 10 or so years ago so some of this may not be accurate.

Still was better written than Dresden Files.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

PJOmega posted:

She fucks all her cadre, and ends up with triplets, each of which has three fathers.

But those guys are all sexy elf dudes with fairly conventional, if variously colored, bodies. Meanwhile the lizard dude, the rock giant, and the guy with tentacles at the crotch she gets into sexy situations with, but ultimately passes on loving. Because who would want to gently caress someone like that, except all the other fairies who do which is a significant plot point in the book, and now we're into weird miscegenation territory and it starts getting uncomfortable... And I know I've put too much thought into this trashy book, but I can't seem to stop.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

there wolf posted:

Not really. Rice built a pretty complete world with a ton of lore explaining everything you could possibly want to know about her vampires. The thing that struck me most about Meyer, and always comes to mind when people talk about how the books could be better, is the total lack of interest in really expanding the story beyond the two characters falling in love and Bella's fairytale ending. As I've said, I don't really like Rice that much but Twilight is such a poor copy that it makes me appreciate her work a little more.

Meyer has admitted how little thought went into the series. The first book took only 6 months from concept to acceptance for publication and is basically a first draft with a few scenes cut and a few weeks of editing for grammar and spelling; I’ve read the cut scenes and the book somehow dragged even worse and was filled with bad grammar.

Because Meyer never expected to write a sequel, literally none of the stuff revealed in the next books existed until she came up with them while writing. What looked in the first book like foreshadowing Jacob becoming a werewolf was actually meant to be a metaphor inspired by Quilleute mythology because there were never going to be any werewolves in the first place. Bella was only immune to Edward’s mind reading originally, which meant she had to find excuses for why Alice and Jasper’s powers worked on her when she made Bella a “shield.” Even when she got editors to help her, it’s clear that she writes by the seat of her pants.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

C.M. Kruger posted:

Varley also made a big chart about how his centaur aliens that speak in music reproduce:

I have these books and they're so weird they have a special place in my heart, but I've never been able to bring myself to read anything else Varley wrote.

Fun fact, all the women in that trilogy are varying shades of gay. The straightest is the one who comes from a lesbian separatist space colony and then she falls for a dude.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

there wolf posted:

But those guys are all sexy elf dudes with fairly conventional, if variously colored, bodies. Meanwhile the lizard dude, the rock giant, and the guy with tentacles at the crotch she gets into sexy situations with, but ultimately passes on loving. Because who would want to gently caress someone like that, except all the other fairies who do which is a significant plot point in the book, and now we're into weird miscegenation territory and it starts getting uncomfortable... And I know I've put too much thought into this trashy book, but I can't seem to stop.

I thought tentacle crotch was one of her Retinue That Fucks but it's been a long time and I don't care to go back and check.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
I've been enjoying reading through this thread but I'm on page thirty-something so I'm not up to date with the current topics, but I want to vent. I've been reading the Chtorr series by David Gerrold. The first and second books were not quite what I had expected, maybe a little underwhelming in hindsight but readable. The third book started with an apologetic foreword from the author, the first third is filled with endless pop psychology exposition from multiple characters and then, just when I was wondering whether it was time to give up,

quote:

In the evenings, we circled and danced. And we slept with each other. [...] Loolie was the most playful of them all. I'd been wrong about her age; she was almost eleven, but so small she still looked like a baby

At least I won't have to worry about the next book in the series getting constantly delayed.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Courtesy of the genre literary criticism thread in TBB, the collision of horse girls and fantasy writing:

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

The Name of All Things Expands Jenn Lyons’ Fantasy in All the Best Ways posted:

Jenn Lyons’ A Chorus of Dragons series is a challenging one to review. With world-building that is not only deliciously complex but is also imaginative and ruthless in its exploration and interrogation of gender, sexuality, racism, and imperialism, it feels hard to know where to put my focus in a review. And so many beautiful details seem to slip through my fingers when I try to recall them all. Both with The Ruin of Kings and the series’ second installment, The Name of All Things, I almost felt like I needed to read the book several times before I could even adequately describe it, never mind critique it.

With that being said, The Name of All Things is not only a worthy successor to The Ruin of Kings, but actually surpasses it, both in technical execution and in the building of its characters. It helps, of course, that readers are now somewhat familiar with Lyons’ world, with its pantheon of gods and demons, complex politics, and fantastic mythology. But Lyons has also improved upon her narrative style, in which several characters are recounting one story to an outside listener. In The Ruin of Kings, Khirin and Talon recounted Khirin’s story to a magical recording stone. In The Name of All Things, Khirin is told the story of noblewoman Janel Theranon by both her and her companions, Dorna and Brother Qown, as they shelter together from a storm.

Oh, and also Janel wants Khirin to help kill a dragon.

Readers of the first book may remember how difficult it was for Khirin to just escape from Sharanakal—aka The Old Man—the music loving dragon who wanted to make Khirin part of his magical collection of stone singers, and you can imagine how much convincing the often-reluctant Khirin might need to consider this new task. But it’s not just a connection to dragons that Khirin and Janel share. Janel has also been tangled up with a demon, and like Khirin, she has been responsible for political upheaval and revolution—although in Janel’s case it is much more voluntary, whereas Khirin was dragged into it (often kicking and screaming) by his own mysterious past.

Janel shares some personality traits with Khirin as well. She is bold, snarky and very determined, and she quickly became one of my favorite characters. Her former nanny, Dorna, is absolutely delightful and Qown is what fandom would call a precious cinnamon roll that must be protected at all costs. Although the story’s focus is more on Janel in this book, Khirin still has time to shine, reminding us of the sassy boy we met in Ola’s velvet house and the courageous, resolute man he grew into by the end of The Ruin of Kings.

Janel’s story progresses more slowly than Khirin’s adventures did, with more lengthy explanations about political intrigue and cultural customs, but I found I enjoyed the reprieve from The Ruin of Kings’ break-neck pace, and it was easier to absorb all of Lyons’ wonderful details. Lyons continues to explore and expand upon the racist, sexist, and imperialistic nature of Quur, and also introduces us to Janel’s home, the nation of Jorat, where polyamory and queerness is common and expected. Janel herself is genderqueer, and the culture uses an interesting terminology referencing horses—“stallion, mare, gelding, foal”—to describe someone’s role in society. I enjoyed the fact that some of Jorat’s approach to queerness really appealed to me while other aspects made me uncomfortable—it is a complex culture with flaws as well as strengths, and terribly interesting to compare to the culture of Quur. The fact that Khirin is being introduced to the culture at the same time as the reader also helps with clarity as we learn about Jorat and Janel’s life there.

Oh, and did I mention there’s a dragon?

Given the name of the series, I suppose no one is exactly surprised, but since Sharanakal was one of the most beautiful and intriguing aspects of The Ruin of Kings, I was happy to see another dragon show up. And Morios did not disappoint. Lyon’ imagination for creatures and cultures is matched beautifully by her talent for evocative and visual descriptions, and the tightening of the narrative structure in this book really made it the total package.

I am so pleased with the newest addition to A Chorus of Dragons and am very much looking forward to the next installment. In the meantime, I can definitely benefit from reading this one again. And probably again after that.
A few of us hate-read the first one but I don't think I can bring myself to do it again.

chernobyl kinsman posted:

it owns its so good

quote:

This book adds a lot in moving beyond Quur to explore Joratese culture, not the least of which is its exciting exploration of gender. This is a culture driven by horse-based gender roles of stallion, mare, gelding, and foal that have nothing to do with biology. It’s confusing at first, and perplexes people from other cultures, but I found it fascinating. Oh, and if the gender thing weren’t enough to intrigue you, the fact that their entire culture is horse-based, complete with knights, grand tournaments, and sentient horses known as firebloods.

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

ah yes, the four genders: man, woman, man but worse, child

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, I'm wondering what groups the terms actually apply to, because I feel like "stallions, mares, foals, geldings" seems likely to translate to "cis men, cis women, kids/some uncomfortably infantilized minority, ~everyone else~," and using a term for castrated male horses to apply generally to human gender minorities is a really bad look.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Oh my God, this book is a comedy goldmine. It's been a cringy Joss Whedonfest so far, but I'm only on page 29 and I have to share this passage with you all.

The Name of All Things posted:

Lightning outlined the draconic shape before him. It wasn't Sharanakal, the volcanic dragon who had sought to keep him prisoner. This was a different dragon, white and grey and silver, blue eyes sparkling gemlike.

Staring at him.

Time froze, stretched. Her eyes are the same color as mine. Only afterward would he realize he'd assumed the dragon's gender.

Bolding is mine, because Jesus Christ, this isn't woke, this is something Jordan Peterson would write to parody woke Twitter.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

People were asking about the horse genders earlier. I'm gonna post this and then close the loving book because holy poo poo, why?

This is a real book someone got published posted:

Janel's mouth twitched. "Answer a curiosity for me. Stallions or mares?"

Kihrin blinked. "What?"

She leaned forward, mirroring his position at the table. "Do you run with stallions? Or mares?"

"I've never put any thought into my horse's gender-" he stopped. "But you're not talking about horses, are you?"

"Not in the least," she said. "There's a trap in there for people who don't understand our ways."

"How do you mean?"

"There are multiple meaning to how we use the words stallion or mare." She traced the table wood grain with a finger. "It's important to know the context, or you might end up in trouble."

"And your context right now?"

"The preferred sex of your bed partners, naturally." Mischief sparkled in her eyes. "Do you run with stallions? Do you run with mares?" She shrugged. "Some don't like to run at all, but that's not you, is it?"

Kihrin scraped his hand through his hair. "No, that's not me. Mares, then." Kihrin hesitated. "Why is that a trap?"

"Because it's the only time in Jorat where the words stallion, mare and so on indicate the equipment between one's legs. Normally, when one refers to a human as a stallion or mare, we're discussing their gender."

Kihrin stared. "And you weren't talking about gender before? You're a woman. Isn't that what you mean by mare?

Her mouth twisted. "You're conflating gender with sex. My sex-my body-is female, yes. But that's not my gender. I'm a stallion. And stallion is how Joratese society defines our men. So you're wrong. I'm most certainly not a woman.

Kihrin's eyes widened. "You just said you were female."

She sighed. "Who I am as a man is independent of-" she gestured to herself-"this. It wouldn't matter if I were male, female, or neither, I would still be a stallion."

Kihrin stared harder. "You're....a man". His gaze wandered down her tunic, lingered at her legs, then hiked back up to her face. "Obviously."

Janel rolled her eyes. "Again, you're conflating woman and female. I can't blame you, they must be synonyms in the west. But rest assured, they're not here." She looked down at herself, plucked the neck of her tunic. "Normally, when one uses mare or stallion to describe a person, they're talking about gender. And by that definition, I'm a man. But for sex, the rules change. Because then we're talking about aesthetic preferences, in which case"-she looked down at herself-"I'm most likely to meet the standards of someone who prefers female partners. I am in fact a female man." She smiled. "Do you see the trap now?"

He shook his head. If someone looked like a woman to him-Janel, for example-how was he supposed to act around them if they defined themselves as...a man? And how was he supposed to know the difference? He'd always assumed the equipment between one's legs was in fact an important part of figuring out who was a man and who was a woman.

But not according to Janel, and apparently not according to the rest of Jorat either. Oh, he saw the trap. He just wasn't sure he understood how it worked, let alone how to avoid it.

How long did it take Brother Qown to make tea, anyway? "Uh...I might need time to adjust to the idea. Do I refer to you as he or ..."

"She," Janel said. "We try not to confuse the rest of Quur too much."

I am by no means a gender expert but I am fairly certain gender and pronouns are linked.

Also, aren't stallions distinguished by their, erm, large equipment?

For bonus points the Obnoxious Footnote Narrator is relating how confusing this is.

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

I feel like I've just invoked a demon I can no longer banish, what the hell lyons

"did I just assume the dragon's gender" honestly isn't even bad, ruined-by-chuds phrasing aside. but hoo boy does janel "I'm a trans man but we misgender ourselves for the benefit of foreigners, but we conflate sex and gender specifically to gently caress with foreigners, but gently caress you for conflating sex and gender" make up for it

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
They repeat the word "trap" too much for it to not be intentionally malicious.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

That is astoundingly awful. I'm almost impressed.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
It's like Schrodinger's TERF. Is it transpositive? Is it regressive? Who the gently caress knows!

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
When cis people write queer content... I think it's positive. It's just the dumb product of someone who wants to create some alternate gender system for exoticism, but doesn't actually have any sense of what a non-binary system would be like. And so they just graft some weird complications onto the existing one, throw in a trans person, and call it progressive representation.

there wolf has a new favorite as of 04:55 on Dec 28, 2019

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I went looking for more information on that gender system and am amazed I couldn’t find anything. Did find a Wikipedia page about “worst books” though.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Unfortunately good politics does not always lead to good writing.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

The Iron Rose posted:

Unfortunately good politics does not always lead to good writing.

The politics aren't even good in this case, although I can believe the writer had good intentions. Like I said in the other thread, they're still being gender essentialist, just by conflating gender and stereotyped gender roles ("leaders are men, nurturers are women") instead of conflating gender and physical traits. It's even worse because they decided to use the most common and regressive real-world stereotypes; if they wanted to play with the concept of gender arising from social role vs. biology, they could have at least created a novel social-role divide.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I loving hated Too Like the Lightening because it's set in a future world where the gender binary is gone and gendered language is considered offensive, but the narrator who's deposition you're reading insists it's important to understand what happened so bear with it. Then the only times it's not totally pointless and irrelevant are when we need to know the protagonist is weak to a display of traditional femininity, when the narrator needs to smugly tell you that although they're describing someone having the physical characteristics of one sex they using the opposite pronouns because they are actually the other gender, and when the narrator needs to call the audience hypocrites for assuming things because he used a gendered term. This passage about a housekeeper that's been described with a deep voice and stubble almost broke me-

To Like the Lightening posted:

With Chagatai, however, your guess is wrong, Is is not her job which makes me give her the feminine pronoun, despite her testicles and chromosomes. I saw her once when someone threatened her little nephew and the primal savagery with which those thick hands shattered the offender was unmistakably that legendary strength which lionesses, she-wolves, she-bats, she-doves, and all other 'she's' obtain when motherhood berserk them. That strength wins her 'she.'

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

The legendary strength of... bats.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Well known figure of maternal fury, Batman.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

You can always tell when they try to create a new gender system, and their only point of origin is the bog standard binary. Not that other systems don't have their own issues (third gender systems are often just transwomen being shoved into some 'other' category), but they're out there and exist.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pastry of the Year posted:

The legendary strength of... bats.

copy con benis.bat
@echo off
cls
:aaa
echo Pastry of the Year is a stupid moron with an ugly face and a big butt and their butt smells and...
echo they like to kiss their own butt.
goto aaa
^Z

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

there wolf posted:

This passage about a housekeeper that's been described with a deep voice and stubble almost broke me-

"I'm not assigning a gender to this person based on their job or body! That would be bigoted. I'm assigning a gender to this person based on my own biases about their behavior in a single incident, which is totally reasonable."

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Antivehicular posted:

"I'm not assigning a gender to this person based on their job or body! That would be bigoted. I'm assigning a gender to this person based on my own biases about their behavior in a single incident, which is totally reasonable."

I mean the narrator's a fuckin (bigoted, among other things) lunatic who is trying very hard to convince you otherwise and obviously failing-- whether that works for you is one thing and i know it falls flat for some readers, but at the very least, that's not accidental

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Yeah, the narrator being ever so slightly unreliable is a key point in that book.

I think the last time I read something with a less reliable narrator was An Instance of the Fingerpost by Iain Pears, and that had four of them (good book, not for the squeamish, early-modern experimental medicine features at a rather disturbing level of detail).

Groke has a new favorite as of 11:38 on Dec 29, 2019

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I read a book (Your Truth or Mine) that tried to advertise itself as "A couple have to reevaluate how they see each other when a harsh truth comes out about one of them that causes a domino effect" that implied that the wife would have her own terrible secret that would unveil as her husbands infidelity did, but it turned out to be just "The wife finds out that her husband is an rear end in a top hat who has a history of abusive behaviour and violence to other people and comes to terms with the fact that her entire relationship was just normalised because her own father was trash unbeknownst to her because her mother tried to protect her feelings toward him, it's just that he didn't do THIS murder."

It was advertised as Mr and Mrs Smith, but in truth turned out to be Rose Madder. However, it did have a satisfying ending where the wife sends the evidence exonerating her husband to the police so he doesn't go to jail for a murder he didn't commit, but at the same time she goes her own way and just fucks off leaving him to wallow in his own shittiness. I appreciate that she severed.

The book wasn't bad, but it was a different type of story than the blurb promised so I just spent the story being annoyed at how unlikeable the husband was despite the wife realising that being the point of the story. The biggest secret the wife has is "She's seeing a therapist and is afraid of how her husband will see her if he finds out because she already knows he's kind of an rear end about mental health issues"

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 11:39 on Dec 29, 2019

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

neongrey posted:

I mean the narrator's a fuckin (bigoted, among other things) lunatic who is trying very hard to convince you otherwise and obviously failing-- whether that works for you is one thing and i know it falls flat for some readers, but at the very least, that's not accidental

I actually asked in the book barn if it was worth continuing with for several reasons, and they brought up that is was supposed to be an unreliable narrator. Even then the interjections from whoever he's telling the story too came off as someone trying really hard not to think along gendered lines and failing, rather than someone coming from a background that doesn't observe them dealing with someone who does.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

PJOmega posted:

That's gonna make birthdays complicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

there wolf posted:

I actually asked in the book barn if it was worth continuing with for several reasons, and they brought up that is was supposed to be an unreliable narrator. Even then the interjections from whoever he's telling the story too came off as someone trying really hard not to think along gendered lines and failing, rather than someone coming from a background that doesn't observe them dealing with someone who does.

That's a major plot point, fwiw. But if you're not feeling it you're not feeling it, and I can't blame you at all for that.

It's just a favourite of mine so the urge to get defensive is what it is, lol