Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

sarmhan posted:

For the curious: A clan dad with FF, endo, 3-points-off-max armor and a 400 XL gets 44 tons of weaponry. You can get 11.5 more tons by going down to an XL 350.

It will have a hard time using that weight if you downgrade though.

Minimum hardpoints for the variants we could see:

Kodiak 1:
4 energy right arm
4 energy left arm
1 ballistic right torso
2 missile left torso
1 energy center torso

Kodiak 2:
2 energy right arm
2 energy left arm
1 ballistic right torso
1 missile left torso
1 energy center torso
jump jets

Kodiak 3
2 energy right arm
2 energy left arm
1 ballistic right torso
1 ballistic left torso

Kodiak 4 (I doubt we'll see this one)
1 missile 2 energy right arm
1 missile 2 energy left arm
1 ballistic right torso

Kodiak 5 (I doubt we'll see this one)
5 energy right arm
5 energy left arm
1 ballistic right torso
1 energy center torso

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Such as:
- Kid who finds a cache of Clan `Mechs on a world the Clans never set foot on and then destroys an entire pirate BattleMech company by himself.
- Elemental who takes out an Atlas without any other elementals to back him up.
- A literal terrorist whose villains are all two-dimensional moustache-twirling cardboard cutouts so the novel he's in can pretend he's not a completely abhorrent human being
- A Word of Blake Sleeper Agent who captures 7 Clan `Mechs in his first outing as a mercenary and then captures 15 more on his second after killing an Elemental with a screwdriver and a puddle of water.

I know who the Elemental dude is (I can't remember his name but I do have his book), and it sounds like the Terrorist refers to that Archer Christofori dude or however he is spelled, but who are the other two?

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

The Kodiak has been hitting the gym pretty hard.

Swole Dad

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Airspace posted:

I know who the Elemental dude is (I can't remember his name but I do have his book), and it sounds like the Terrorist refers to that Archer Christofori dude or however he is spelled, but who are the other two?

- Sturm Kintaro (lol)
- Jake Kabrinsky
- Aris Sung
- Jeremiah Rose

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 2, 2016

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

- Jeremiah Rose

hosed up.

Also im super hyped to see DAD IIC

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

ZombyDog posted:

I'm the worst goon because almost all of my robots have a 270m range limit, but I really don't hate Highlands or Alpine, I mean I'll piss and moan when they do come up, but I don't feel hugely disadvantaged when they do come up. I'm in my Ghost Dad, or my brawly Marauders or my Cataphract 0XP, and sure ECM helps when I can take it, but I enjoy flanking from defilades into brawl range while the firing lines are occupied on each other on Highlands, and you don't have to climb up the slope under withering fire, objective allowing you can ignore Candy mountain all together.

And my guess would be that the only time this actually works out for you is when your team as a whole is just flatout better than whoever you get matched up with, and I say that partly because this is the only scenario where flanking and leaving your firing line undermanned doesn't just result in said line getting demolished right before all those guns turn to the flankers

Competent-to-good players that build their groups for range will routinely dominate both Alpine and Highlands due to the wide-open nature of them. They're extremely one-dimensional maps and pretty much encourage it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Tujague posted:

And then they built mechs that look like the animals, of course. And there's, like, kung fu rituals and TRIBAL LOREMASTERS and poo poo, and one of the clans is religious and one of them is all about money or something, and blah blah blah. It would be like trying to get the NFL to work if they players had to live a life inspired by tigers and dolphins and pirates instead of just being named after them.

I get your point but holy poo poo that would make the NFL so much better. I would not only watch every game, I would watch the inevitable reality TV shows about the Buccaneers being pirates and the Bears, Dolphins, Panthers, Sea Hawks, Lions, etc trying to live true to their totem animals.

Also . . .

PoptartsNinja posted:

That does not make her a Mary Sue,

Seriously, some people in this thread need to look up what a "Mary Sue" is.

Also if you want to harp on bad Battletech writing you really have to zero in on the "epic" Kai Allard-Liao romance arc. It's still not bad from a Writing 101 stand point (characters have reasons for doing things that are based on who and what they are, characters have arcs that matter, etc) but it's Bioware-grade romance for teenaged sci fi nerds.

edit: the target of Kai's affections was named Deidre. Oh my loving god why do I remember this 20 years later how has my degenerate lifestyle not blanked this part of my brain yet.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 2, 2016

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Devorum posted:

I'm wondering if it's a solo release or "Wave 4".

It's a solo release like the previous few mechs.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Number19 posted:

It's a solo release like the previous few mechs.

Do you have any idea when PREORDER comes up, #19?

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

ZenVulgarity posted:

Do you have any idea when PREORDER comes up, #19?

All I know is "later this week"

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Pattonesque posted:

Correct

I wonder how much tonnage it would have with max engine/armor/endo

A clan 100 ton mech with 400 XL, full armor, and endo steel has 42ish tons available for jump jets, heat sinks, weapons, and ammunition.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
30 tons of jump jets and 10 tons of flamers, obviously

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

A clan 100 ton mech with 400 XL, full armor, and endo steel has 42ish tons available for jump jets, heat sinks, weapons, and ammunition.

So you need to downgrade it to single heatsinks, otherwise you would not be able to fit 41 of them in to stop you from overheating with your single small laser.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
I want to like it, but the large clan ballistics are mediocre. I imagine like the atlas the energy points in its arms will be low slung.

These are not omnimechs, right? No pod swapping?

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Willfrey posted:

I want to like it, but the large clan ballistics are mediocre. I imagine like the atlas the energy points in its arms will be low slung.

These are not omnimechs, right? No pod swapping?

The Kodiak is a Clan Battlemech.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Tujague posted:

30 tons of jump jets and 10 tons of flamers, obviously

This guy gets it.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

kingcom posted:

hosed up.

Also im super hyped to see DAD IIC

gently caress that! Where's my Urbanmech IIC? The only mech so perfect even the Clans couldn't think of a way to improve it.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
If I've got Griffins and Hunchbacks elites, what's another medium I can start messing with. I'm digging medium gameplay over all else. I tried cicadas but they weren't really what I liked about heavier mediums. I also kind of liked the Blackjacks, but their play style wasn't really in line to my personal play style. What should I aim for next. Are enforcers any good? Or kintaro?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The Kodiak's head looks kind of like a zaku ii without the gas mask.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Oh how do I report bugs in this game anyway

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Stringbean posted:

If I've got Griffins and Hunchbacks elites, what's another medium I can start messing with. I'm digging medium gameplay over all else. I tried cicadas but they weren't really what I liked about heavier mediums. I also kind of liked the Blackjacks, but their play style wasn't really in line to my personal play style. What should I aim for next. Are enforcers any good? Or kintaro?

Stormcrows, dog. After that? Centurions are cool, they are zombie infantry mechs and there's a really mean AC20/SRM Centy build that everyone likes. Crabs are fun, they can fit a big-rear end engine but not like "I'm a light mech lol" fast. Shadowhawks would be ok but they too big with bad hitboxes.

vvv You just cough up for a hero mech or two that you can reliably kick rear end with and get 200k spacebucks per fight, and do that for a long time until the mech you want goes on sale. Otherwise it's just a grind. I've been playing for about two and a half months on and off, I bought a Centurion for cheap with my cadet bonus and was halfway to my Raven, then I got a Locust on sale for chump change, and ground cash for a stormcrow.

Tujague fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 2, 2016

high six
Feb 6, 2010
How the hell do you guys make enough C-bills to have all these different mechs?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Stringbean posted:

Griffins are good SRM4 boating strikers, though they pretty much require expensive 300XL engines. Centurions are damned good brawlers and use STD 275's

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

high six posted:

Play a lot with premium time? :shrug:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Also hero/founder/whatever with cbill bonuses will stack with premium time.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

high six posted:

Run streakcrows for a few weeks.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Unhappy Meal posted:

gently caress that! Where's my Urbanmech IIC? The only mech so perfect even the Clans couldn't think of a way to improve it.

Where's my Imp? A design that came straight from Nicholas Kerensky himself. All of the advantages of the Urbanmech, but with the added genius of the founder of the clans himself, putting it on a 100-ton platform with ECM. Truly, no more do assaults need to fear lights shooting butts - they can simply march forward and face backwards, butts securely protected from the threat of arctic cheaters.
:911:

Truly, the most majestic of battlemechs.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Bolow posted:

Griffins are good SRM4 boating strikers, though they pretty much require expensive 300XL engines. Centurions are damned good brawlers and use STD 275's

Yeah I've got the GRF-3M/2N/1E I love me my Griffins. So I'll start eyeing the Centurions. Or save and buy a Stormcrow so I have some form of clan mech.

e: also the only griffin I run with an XL is the 3M. 4x ASRM4 and 2 MPLas with an empty arm to twist. Even then the XL makes me nervous.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
We need the domely trinity of the urbanmech, the flashman, and the imp to really establish MWO as the premiere battletech game.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

high six posted:

Play for a long time.

I usually just play moneymaker mechs, Atlas S(L) normally gets me betweeen 150-250k cbills per match. Also the event gave me a 50% bonus on the jenner IIc during the latest event which is nice. Basically just find something you're good at and play it to death

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

high six posted:

What everyone else said. Get premium time, run a mech you're comfortable with. For me I run a Sparky and my HBK-4SP and in a good match I make 200k+ c-bills.

But the most important way to make money is to not spend it refitting your mechs over and over and over. Find a build you like and run it the gently caress down.

vvv CW isn't as time efficient as Solo/Group dropping in quickplay (imho). Even back to back CW matches, those rounds last about 20-30 minutes each. Quickplay matches last around 5-8 each. If you play well enough, even losses can net you some serious dough vvv

Stringbean fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 2, 2016

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

high six posted:

If I were to hazard a guess, in a non c-bill bonus mech I'm earning anywhere between 100-200k cbills a match and 200-300k in a c-bill bonus mech, also I'm currently Premium because I bought the Marauder & Steam light mech packs. That's ball parking it. CW is also a great money maker, 300k + plus match rewards ( 300-600k ) for a win and then the loyalty rewards add up as well. My biggest Isk C-Bill sink is the modules, a fully pimped out mech module wise is 18mil. I want at least 4 sets of seismic and radar derp for my CW deck, instead of dragging around the single set I currently own.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

It also helps to stay either clan or IS. After a while you get a stockpile of weapons and equipment so refitting new things isn't as painful.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Olesh posted:

Where's my Imp? A design that came straight from Nicholas Kerensky himself. All of the advantages of the Urbanmech, but with the added genius of the founder of the clans himself, putting it on a 100-ton platform with ECM. Truly, no more do assaults need to fear lights shooting butts - they can simply march forward and face backwards, butts securely protected from the threat of arctic cheaters.

Truly, the most majestic of battlemechs.

I'd contend the most majestic title goes to the dong walker.

Hopefully we get a burrow ability for the Kodiak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPlXXUhtVqc

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Iron Tusk posted:

Hopefully we get a burrow ability for the Kodiak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPlXXUhtVqc

:black101: Ghost Beardad.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Tujague posted:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Balius

It was a formative experience for a young goon, watching his beloved fandom take a hard turn into tardville. I had to choose between scoffing at everything for the rest of my life and pretending that this poo poo wasn't dumb as hell and ending up like that redditor with "multiple degrees in literary fields" quoted on the last page.

No regrets, dog.

Thats not even a totem mech. Thats someone at whichever company produced the product its in looking at a Zoids trailer and going 'WE MUST HAVE ONE'

I thought that link was dumb as hell. .... and then I saw it has a head-mounted flamer(that you can't even change out) and now I've gotta have one too.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

truly the finest MechWarrior intro

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

truly the finest MechWarrior intro

You know its a Mechwarrior game, when the intro shows robots walking aimlessly in a location with no noticeable objective in sight.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Tim Pawlenty posted:

The 1s is insanely strong and the quad lpl build will barely be hurt by it. It's only the quad ERLL build that will be hurt and ERLL's are honestly dog poo poo anyway against an opponent with a pulse.

I made this video like six months ago but this mech is definitely still capable of it, and will be even with some range tweaks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ1eZ3KdP-c

Also XL engine is the way to go with the 1S, you have giant arms to shield with while you twist. Being fast in a mech that can hill hump better than almost anything else and fire for days is great paired with the short burn time of LPLs.

This is a few pages back but can you post the build for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I miss the dayglo solid color Gargoyles. When are we getting that skin?

• Locked thread