Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
google fi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?

ntan1 posted:

google fi

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

LimburgLimbo posted:

It’s actually way better than it used to be and most train stations now have some wifi, but it’s really not nearly as common as other countries and fewer stores have wifi as well.

Definitely worth getting something imo.

Good to know. As a Canadian I'm sure it's still a million times better than what's "offered" to us here, and I have no clue what's considered good or bad there.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Picnic Princess posted:

Good to know. As a Canadian I'm sure it's still a million times better than what's "offered" to us here, and I have no clue what's considered good or bad there.

Trust me, it's worse. You need a network connection to sign up for the wifi in train stations, coffee shops generally don't have free wifi, hospitals and government buildings never do. It's p bad.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Stringent posted:

Trust me, it's worse. You need a network connection to sign up for the wifi in train stations, coffee shops generally don't have free wifi, hospitals and government buildings never do. It's p bad.

You do need to sign up but it’s a one-time painless process and they give you temp access to do it at I believe metro and Toei lines at least. The monorail from Haneda doesn’t give you temp access though which is the dumbest loving thing and I have no idea how that hasn’t been fixed. Literally one of the main routes from an airport and the decide to make their wifi de facto unusable for anyone without data in Japan.

Some cafes don’t but Starbucks does and it’s basically everywhere.

I’ve spend a number of weeks in japan without data and got by fine, though I also know my way around more. Basically you can get by nowadays without data but definitely worth it to get it.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Use klook, pickup sim card at a Japanese airport. Done

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

ntan1 posted:

google fi

google fi kicks rear end in japan

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

I was listening to a mixed martial arts show on YouTube where the host had gone to Wrestle Kingdom 13 and had found a really cool MMA memoribilia store in Tokyo. It might have been near the Tokyo Dome. This could be a long shot since they probably don't have a website or anything, but would anyone happen to know about a place that sells stuff like signed K-1 gloves / Pride things and other cool martial arts related items? Was also wondering if there is a guide to similar speciality shops for people with semi obscure interests Thanks in advance.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

duckdealer posted:

I was listening to a mixed martial arts show on YouTube where the host had gone to Wrestle Kingdom 13 and had found a really cool MMA memoribilia store in Tokyo. It might have been near the Tokyo Dome. This could be a long shot since they probably don't have a website or anything, but would anyone happen to know about a place that sells stuff like signed K-1 gloves / Pride things and other cool martial arts related items? Was also wondering if there is a guide to similar speciality shops for people with semi obscure interests Thanks in advance.

If you link it I might be able to get more from there, but the area near Tokyo Dome (Suidobashi) has a good amount of pro wrestling/MMA shops just around (including New Japan's own official shop and offices), because Korakuen and Tokyo Dome are both right there. Trying to search online has got me a few MMA/training supply shops for new stuff, and for tickets, but not for a signed goods shop like you're describing. I'm sure it exists, but missing a name or something to pinpoint.

Toudoukan (which has moved!) might be a good place to start too because it's the place for all of that but for pro wrestling.

Also I have a travel guide for wrestling fans for Japan linked in the NJPW thread.

It's kind of hard to say "well what about _____" for all kinds of subcultures because 1) Tokyo is enormous and Japan is varied in general 2) that seems hard to manage. If you have questions there are enough regulars here with wide interests that questions can be answered.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Get data cuz Tokyo especially makes no darn sense if you don't have a map ready or already know the place.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Is it accurate that they rent decent wifi cards right in customs at Haneda for around $70 for a week? Can I prepay for this so it’s ready when I arrive? How many devices can these cards support? I’ll be traveling with two others.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

harperdc posted:

If you link it I might be able to get more from there, but the area near Tokyo Dome (Suidobashi) has a good amount of pro wrestling/MMA shops just around (including New Japan's own official shop and offices), because Korakuen and Tokyo Dome are both right there. Trying to search online has got me a few MMA/training supply shops for new stuff, and for tickets, but not for a signed goods shop like you're describing. I'm sure it exists, but missing a name or something to pinpoint.

Toudoukan (which has moved!) might be a good place to start too because it's the place for all of that but for pro wrestling.

Also I have a travel guide for wrestling fans for Japan linked in the NJPW thread.

It's kind of hard to say "well what about _____" for all kinds of subcultures because 1) Tokyo is enormous and Japan is varied in general 2) that seems hard to manage. If you have questions there are enough regulars here with wide interests that questions can be answered.

Thank you very much for your assistance. I plan on coming to Japan on a solo trip in August to go to the three NJPW G1 shows at the Budokan as well as the Summer Sonic music festival.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

duckdealer posted:

Thank you very much for your assistance. I plan on coming to Japan on a solo trip in August to go to the three NJPW G1 shows at the Budokan as well as the Summer Sonic music festival.

God speed getting tickets to all of those, Budokan I think sold out pretty quick last year since it’s only ~13,000 capacity.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Nanigans posted:

Is it accurate that they rent decent wifi cards right in customs at Haneda for around $70 for a week? Can I prepay for this so it’s ready when I arrive? How many devices can these cards support? I’ll be traveling with two others.

KLOOOOOOOOK

USE MY COUPON

https://www.klook.com/activity/3825

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Is this a limited use coupon, or may I steal it too?

I have a question that may be a bit off of most peoples' radar! My girlfriend has charged me with picking up some yarn while I'm in the country. I got a few options from googling keito shops but I was wondering if anyone had particular recommendations? She's very enthusiastic about supporting small yarn shops and local dyers -- if anyone is hooked into their local knitting scene, any and all pointers would be super appreciated!

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Thanks!

Will this still be valid in October?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Anyone know of any good travel guides/tour programs in Kyoto? Like, to handle communication and logistics and stuff. Ideally if they cover both major landmarks and lesser known features.

I don’t foresee a major issue in communication even though my conversational Japanese sucks, but it would help accommodate my mother. Plus, it means we can spend a few days not having to think.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

harperdc posted:

wrasslin'

would you happen to have similar location info for stuff in kansai?

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

harperdc posted:

God speed getting tickets to all of those, Budokan I think sold out pretty quick last year since it’s only ~13,000 capacity.

On that note, does anybody have experience using https://buysumotickets.com/ for access to the NJPW fan club?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Pollyanna posted:

Anyone know of any good travel guides/tour programs in Kyoto? Like, to handle communication and logistics and stuff. Ideally if they cover both major landmarks and lesser known features.

I don’t foresee a major issue in communication even though my conversational Japanese sucks, but it would help accommodate my mother. Plus, it means we can spend a few days not having to think.

I have never been anywhere in Kyoto that didn't have someone who could at least do tourist question level functional English.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Nanigans posted:

Thanks!

Will this still be valid in October?

Yes

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Awesome!

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
came back from Japan couple of days ago. Had a nice time, mostly hanging out and eating with friends in Tokyo. also met up with my wife's former colleagues in a fantastic pizzeria in a ghost town in Gunma. And stayed in a ryokan that looked like the Japanese equivalent of the shining hotel, but turned out very nice.
Having slept for 9 days in a 24 square meter apartment in Tokyo with 3 people, where everything stayed humid and nothing ever got hot, I will say this:
For gently caress sake Japan, double glazing, central heating, get with the loving program already.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

I don't speak a word of Japanese other than parroting thank you back at shop assistants and I was fine.

The language barrier in major cities is basically non-existent because they accommodate the gently caress out of tourists at all their touristy places the same way they accommodate the gently caress out of basically everything. Stop worrying about speaking bad Japanese.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

mrfart posted:

Having slept for 9 days in a 24 square meter apartment in Tokyo with 3 people, where everything stayed humid and nothing ever got hot, I will say this:
For gently caress sake Japan, double glazing, central heating, get with the loving program already.

did you also have a difficult time accessing your favorite Netflix shows

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

I have not been to Hawaii but literally everyone I have ever met who lived there says it's horrible. Nice to visit but awful to live in. Expensive as hell, lots of crime, super racist if you're not native Hawaiian, etc. I've actually never heard more consistent hatred of any state

quoting for posterity

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

The Great Autismo! posted:

quoting for posterity

why?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

no why

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
ok

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

That's a good one.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

He’s gonna come back in a year gushing about how amazing Hawaii is because he’s comparing it to a decade in China

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
but he already gushes about how great china and being homeless is?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

LimburgLimbo posted:

He’s gonna come back in a year gushing about how amazing Hawaii is because he’s comparing it to a decade in China

grand fromage was comparing it to Ohio and saying Ohio was better than Hawaii

I was just quoting it for posterity

China is cool and good, remember

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
That's not what he said at all though, even in context?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
This is that intellectual honesty you're always on about isn't it?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Stringent posted:

That's not what he said at all though, even in context?

here's your context

ohio is literally the third worst state in the united states

Grand Fromage posted:

Worse states: New Jersey, Delaware, both Carolinas, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Missouri, both Dakotas, Texas, Michigan, Indiana, West Virginia, Arizona, Alaska, Hawaii (last three get a tourism exemption, I mean to live in), Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Oklahoma, Kentucky.

[on a beach in hawaii]

frank: "bro i heard you and jamie broke up"
tom: "yeah...its been so rough. i'm just like, i dunno...i dunno man...im thinking about just, like, leaving it all behind, you know? like just like, i dunno, remember when you were a kid and you just had that dream of like-"
[at the same time]
frank: "moving to ohio"
tom: "moving to ohio"

frank: "oh my God...i totally get it"

Grand Fromage posted:

I have not been to Hawaii but literally everyone I have ever met who lived there says it's horrible. Nice to visit but awful to live in. Expensive as hell, lots of crime, super racist if you're not native Hawaiian, etc. I've actually never heard more consistent hatred of any state, even places like Mississippi I've met defenders of.

Also apparently there's a Hawaiian separatist movement which, lol.

there's your context

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
you were even part of this conversation. the context is nonexistent. it is immaterial.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Exactly, show me where he says Ohio is better than Hawaii?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

Worse states: New Jersey, Delaware, both Carolinas, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Missouri, both Dakotas, Texas, Michigan, Indiana, West Virginia, Arizona, Alaska, Hawaii (last three get a tourism exemption, I mean to live in), Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Oklahoma, Kentucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Right, he says Hawaii is worse than Ohio, not that Ohio is better than Hawaii. :smug: