Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

is there supposed to be a signal that tells you where the thermal plant is? the wiki has conflicting info and i never got that signal in my game, nor did the achievement trigger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
Bioreactors and nuclear reactors both are suboptimal compared to thermal reactors, imo. Nuclear is okay if you can get over the terrifyingly huge need for otherwise-useless lead, but the bioreactor is just WAY too much trouble. Build near a thermal vent, and stack a dozen thermal plants on it. Problem solved forever.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Cobbsprite posted:

Bioreactors and nuclear reactors both are suboptimal compared to thermal reactors, imo. Nuclear is okay if you can get over the terrifyingly huge need for otherwise-useless lead, but the bioreactor is just WAY too much trouble. Build near a thermal vent, and stack a dozen thermal plants on it. Problem solved forever.

i usually plop down a bioreactor/2 thermals and it handles everything

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Magus42 posted:

It's already available at several plot points.

None of the essential plot points though. Every place actually related to beating the game has no MP room. So every "plot point" with them is side stuff that is more easily missable if you don't trigger the right radio signals (or spam save/quit/reload so you can listen to your backlog in a row).

Though no matter how many people mention how long it took them to find MP rooms, or still have not found them. Not matter how many confused "...What the gently caress are you talking about?" posts when people try to coyly point them in the direction of the not as obvious as everyone thinks clouds. You'd think people would step back and realize it's not as unmissable as hindsight or good fortune makes it out as.

boar guy posted:

is there supposed to be a signal that tells you where the thermal plant is? the wiki has conflicting info and i never got that signal in my game, nor did the achievement trigger

Much like half the life pods, there used to be a signal for that once upon a time. Though once you stumble your way to the lost river, finding that place is just a matter of "Keep going, I guess."

EDIT: Oh wait. A big problem is that people KEEP going because it's a nondescript rocky blob semi hidden in fog, and then skip right past it to the final location.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 27, 2018

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So as luck would have it I managed to find the last piece of the Cyclopes at the same time as I found the Gel pod thing I needed to make the Prawn suit. So far I had been pretty stingy in making my base, so I had a lot of extra resources ready. I had to clear out half a dozen storage lockers but I was able to build both of them at the same time! The suit seems annoying to use compared to the Seamoth, but I don't have any upgrades for it yet so we will see how it turns out.

The Cyclopes is fantastic. It reminds me of my first Capital Ship in Empyrion: Galactic Survival. I love that its basically a mobile base and you can build inside, and also has a docking port. Its a real shame it only has the one dock, and can't be fitted with a nuclear reactor or something to recharge the power cells. I wish I could take the Prawn Suit and Sea Moth at the same time, it is hard to choose which one is best to bring along :( I am thinking that I will disassemble most of my starter base and transfer it to the Cyclops, leaving only a shell of the base with some food/bio reactor and a power charger for the subs cells. Then I can make additional power stations in remote areas to operate out there more easily.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Section Z posted:

None of the essential plot points though. Every place actually related to beating the game has no MP room. So every "plot point" with them is side stuff that is more easily missable if you don't trigger the right radio signals (or spam save/quit/reload so you can listen to your backlog in a row).

Though no matter how many people mention how long it took them to find MP rooms, or still have not found them. Not matter how many confused "...What the gently caress are you talking about?" posts when people try to coyly point them in the direction of the not as obvious as everyone thinks clouds. You'd think people would step back and realize it's not as unmissable as hindsight or good fortune makes it out as.

Much like half the life pods, there used to be a signal for that once upon a time. Though once you stumble your way to the lost river, finding that place is just a matter of "Keep going, I guess."

EDIT: Oh wait. A big problem is that people KEEP going because it's a nondescript rocky blob semi hidden in fog, and then skip right past it to the final location.

Yeah I got the notification for the possible location of the plant LONG after I'd fully explored both it and the final location.

Some of the triggers are Not Good in this game

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

The Prawn is basically the only real choice for the vehicle you dock in the Cyclops. The Prawn benefits immensely from having a taxi.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The Prawn is basically the only real choice for the vehicle you dock in the Cyclops. The Prawn benefits immensely from having a taxi.

But its really slow, and it sinks to the bottom of the sea :( I want to take the Cyclops out with the Seamoth in it to gather resources in the remote areas that are far away from my current base (but still above 300m). I used up most of my resources building these things and I would like to replenish the stockpiles. I need to bring the Cyclopes because there is no storage in the Seamoth, I always end up with a full inventory long before I have gathered everything.

I mean I guess I could bring a Seaglide....

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 27, 2018

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah I got the notification for the possible location of the plant LONG after I'd fully explored both it and the final location.

Some of the triggers are Not Good in this game
Yeah, and back when we did have a thermal plant signal a lot of people would still miss it if it still existed. Due to the fact the Disease Research isn't actually needed to win the game. I just literally drive my cyclops past it now on my way to the other plot points.

We have less signals, but I will at least give credit that they fixed up some of the radio triggers compared to before... SOME. For example, the lifepod with the repulsion gun upgrade data box used to be triggered by building a bio plant! Now it's related to Crafting a laser cutter (More desirable) and... 14 hours of playtime.

On the actually improved end, the more important "Easiest place to find it" Lifepod with a Cyclops Depth upgrade databox near it is still triggered by building a thermal plant, but it's also triggered by entering the deep grand reef so hey, you're shy of guaranteed of getting the signal.

So of course with the effort put into polishing up signal triggers at all... They go and remove half the lifepod signals rendering it moot to anyone who doesn't have the map memorized. "Just follow the landmarks idiot. Yes, the landmarks that won't render until you're right on top of them to lifepods that won't render until you are on top of them :pseudo:" It's very telling that Lifepod 6, which floats upside down on the surface, is something I've seen a lot of people struggle to find now that the signal is gone.

In theory, it should be the most obvious lifepod in the game. In practice, this is a game where a bright neon orange rubber raft floats on the surface of the water is invisible until you're already there.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 27, 2018

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Danaru posted:

Something I've been noticing is when I mine out a large deposit, I think a little bit of it remains just barely under the map. This wouldn't be an issue, but it still pings on my scanner room, and now I have three titanium signals that I've already mined out as much as possible.

I think this is just a bug with the scanner room not updating, once you load the game world again from a save those signals go away.

Rutibex posted:

But its really slow, and it sinks to the bottom of the sea :( I want to take the Cyclops out with the Seamoth in it to gather resources in the remote areas that are far away from my current base (but still above 300m). I used up most of my resources building these things and I would like to replenish the stockpiles. I need to bring the Cyclopes because there is no storage in the Seamoth, I always end up with a full inventory long before I have gathered everything.

Keep searching wrecks, the vehicle upgrade console built in the moonpool lets you build storage modules for the seamoth.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I don't like the Seamoth, it's way too fragile. :v: Gimme the stuff with shielding and armor and big fuckin metal fists any day of the week.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Rutibex posted:

Which is faster, The Seamoth or the PRAWN? [Subnautica]

(I understand your point, but with proper grappling useage the prawn is almost but not quite as agile and speedy as the seamoth)

double nine fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 27, 2018

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I've honestly never had a problem with Seamoth damage after slotting a hull upgrade. Sometimes I smash into stuff on purpose because it's funny

Away all Goats posted:

I think this is just a bug with the scanner room not updating, once you load the game world again from a save those signals go away.

Oh thank god, I was worried I'd be stuck with a bunch of phantom blips surrounding me

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Section Z posted:

Pretty sure you need a thing from a Degasi Base in order to be-... Waitaminute. I don't even remember what I used that thing for but I do remember where I didn't use it.

Huh, I guess aside from breadcrumbs that's right.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

EponymousMrYar posted:

Pretty sure you need a thing from a Degasi Base in order to be-... Waitaminute. I don't even remember what I used that thing for but I do remember where I didn't use it.

Huh, I guess aside from breadcrumbs that's right.
If you're talking the Orange tablet That leads to nothing but flavor text and a couple ion cubes :allears: If anything the fact it has one of the most convenient to grab shield Databoxes is a bigger reason to go there. So I often make the trip just because wreck databoxes can be kind of a pain in the dick these days, then shove the spoiler in a locker never to be used.

You can beat the game without ever seeing a single Degasi base. The most likely reason you'll see most of them is because they just happen to be near where you get your fix for melon addiction, or being near the top spot for getting a less than garbage amount of magnetite and lithium. Though having to craft a few less purple artifacts is nice, if you happen across some.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 27, 2018

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I liked hitting the Degasi bases just because scanning their stuff was way easier than scanning fragments

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Seamoth hull durability should never be an issue. Its fragility doesn't matter when you can repair it to full anytime its damaged with a repair tool. You have to be extremely careless to actually get it destroyed. Even a leviathan can't destroy it from full health without giving you a chance to repair.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

double nine posted:

Which is faster, The Seamoth or the PRAWN? [Subnautica]

(I understand your point, but with proper grappling useage the prawn is almost but not quite as agile and speedy as the seamoth)

holy poo poo. I had no idea the double grapple was that much faster/you could slingshot like that.

That's amazing.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Rutibex posted:

I just filled one multipurpose room full of potatoes. They grew the fastest so they were the lazy choice. A full room of them is way more than enough to run a bioreactor and feed yourself. It doesn't matter that the food/water ratio isn't balanced, you can just eat more potatoes to make up for the lack of water! :fork:
'sup Mark Watney?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Internet Kraken posted:

Seamoth hull durability should never be an issue. Its fragility doesn't matter when you can repair it to full anytime its damaged with a repair tool. You have to be extremely careless to actually get it destroyed. Even a leviathan can't destroy it from full health without giving you a chance to repair.

Then you run into 2 spadefish at full speed and as you're getting out to repair it a sand shark comes along and body slams it.

Seamoth Durability isn't an issue until it's at a 3rd of it's HP and then it's always an issue.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
New mod: grapple arm for seamoth.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
OK, I am a big enough man to admit when I was wrong. The Prawn Suit is loving awesome! It is not nearly as slow as I first thought. I was worried about getting trapped in deep holes, but the jump jets (even without upgrades) are very generous. I can easily navigate really deep trenches, and there are usually lots of ledges to jump on. Its actually faster to gather resources in the Prawn Suit vs the Seamoth. Jumping around is also kind of a more fun gameplay experience than just floating around. The fact that I don't have to get out all the time to pick up resources saves a heck of a lot of time, and the extra cargo space is fantastic. I was also able to punch those stalker fish in the face, which was satisfying :black101:

Cyclops + Prawn Suit really is the ultimate. Sea Moths can get lost! It really chews through the power though, recharging the suit and using the fabricator and moving around all the time. I am going to have to make a bunch of power stations around the map. I managed to transfer all of my loot from my starter base onto the sub, which gave me the opportunity to sort it :v: It took me quite a while to get it all into proper containers, I have never missed modded Minecraft so much.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 28, 2018

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
All of a sudden my game crashes to desktop 90% of the time. There are times it crashes just loading my save. Most of the time i get it and crashes after a few minutes. Agh. 40 hours in.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

You want the cache repair tool. Basically after a certain amount of uptime you probably want to wipe the world map and reset explored chunks(except the ones you have built stuff in).

https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/146898/made-a-tool-to-clean-cache-crash
enjoy.

This should probably be in the op.

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.

Section Z posted:

You can beat the game without ever seeing a single Degasi base.

You need ion power cells for the Neptune so if you don't get lucky w/ time capsules you have to at least visit the grand reef one.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Rutibex posted:

I don't even know what the "end game" is. I've discovered a bunch of pods and other places (two land islands). I found a few dark secrets, but I am assuming this game gets even darker. Just a hunch. I only have the Seamoth right now at 300m depth, I haven't been able to build the mechsuit or big sub yet. I don't have the blueprints for the big sub, and I am currently looking for gels to make the mech suit.

Am I close to the end game? :shrug:

The endgame starts when you have to go below 900 meters to proceed.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

gnoma posted:

You need ion power cells for the Neptune so if you don't get lucky w/ time capsules you have to at least visit the grand reef one.
:confused: But you don't unlock ion power cells in the grand reef / Degasi bases. You get them in the thermal plant, which has a pity ion node to drill up to ensure you can craft up some tablets for progress if you somehow already used any ions you found so far (an actual case of a proper safety net). If you mean ion crystals beyond that, so long as you open up the final location you're set for life there.

I honestly can't think of what any of the Degasi bases have to do with ion power. Did you mean the Cyclops Shield? While that's still supposed to be available in other spots, the Deep Reef base is probably the most convenient source.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 28, 2018

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'm going to loving throttle whoever decided to make the cyclops shield module a requirement for the rocket part 3

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

just lol if you don't build a cyclops

why the h*ck would you not want to build and operate a Big rear end Submarine

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Because every time I try to build one it corrupts my save and stops the world from loading.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I'm a big baby around Leviathans, is it true that the Cyclops on Silent Running and low speed will be basically invisible to them?

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Because it's actually slower and less maneuverable than a Reefback.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I'm thinking about playing again. I never bothered building a scanner room first time through so I might make one or two this time as I think I'll do a lot of base building. First time around I just had one base in the shallows and the other in a deep location with available thermal power.

How extreme have people been going with base building lately?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I already have the most perfect vehicle, the Seamoth

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Inescapable Duck posted:

I'm a big baby around Leviathans, is it true that the Cyclops on Silent Running and low speed will be basically invisible to them?

Mostly, it seems to vary from type to type and certain locations. When I pop on silent running when docking my Cyclops outside the Aroura, I've watched reapers who immediately aggroed over the engine startup sequence pull an immediate 180 U turn.

On the other hand, Silent running+decoys has still resulted in Ghost levis attacking me in some of the lost river segments. Probably down to how it's so cramped down there they "leave" and then stop 5 seconds later to realize! Cyclops is still there!

Devian666 posted:

I'm thinking about playing again. I never bothered building a scanner room first time through so I might make one or two this time as I think I'll do a lot of base building. First time around I just had one base in the shallows and the other in a deep location with available thermal power.

How extreme have people been going with base building lately?
I still tend towards Dual tower with branches to dual moonpools, but I think it would be faster to rather replay the game from scratch after my escape rocket crashes than ever collect enough quartz to furnish them like I used to in the current state of the game. I miss not ever touching the scan room or drill (except for kyanite) and still having so much quartz just by picking it up and shoving it in my pockets incidentally, I'd have 60+ windows, 6 alien containment, 2 dozen solar panels, and more.

Now? Multiple scan room assisted quartz runs. Stopping to drill every single quartz node I see while driving the cyclops, and I end the game with only 4 and a half lockers full of spare quartz. Which sounds like a lot. Until you realize an entire locker full of Quartz is only 24 glass.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 28, 2018

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I've probably spent more time building my base than actually exploring and collecting resources this run.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Inescapable Duck posted:

TBH you don't really need the Silent Running that much, just stay on slow when you're near one, and if it turns red on your radar just cut the engine before it gets too close, they'll usually ramble away after a second or two. Easier on the juice that way.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Section Z posted:

I still tend towards Dual tower with branches to dual moonpools, but I think it would be faster to rather replay the game from scratch after my escape rocket crashes than ever collect enough quartz to furnish them like I used to in the current state of the game. I miss not ever touching the scan room or drill (except for kyanite) and still having so much quartz just by picking it up and shoving it in my pockets incidentally, I'd have 60+ windows, 6 alien containment, 2 dozen solar panels, and more.

Now? Multiple scan room assisted quartz runs. Stopping to drill every single quartz node I see while driving the cyclops, and I end the game with only 4 and a half lockers full of spare quartz. Which sounds like a lot. Until you realize an entire locker full of Quartz is only 24 glass.

I think I'll build a nuclear reactor this run. Everything I did was pretty power efficient and I only ever ran out of power when I was charging large batteries and crafting a lot of stuff in a row. Time for excess, maybe a base with an unnecessarily large number of water reclaimation units.

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.

Section Z posted:

I honestly can't think of what any of the Degasi bases have to do with ion power.

I thought the tablet is how you download the schematics.

edit: I went to check and the terminal is just randomly orange. I've been wasting my time getting the tablet for it I guess.

gnoma fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Inescapable Duck posted:

I think doing this just makes your aggro range REALLY small, like you practically have to be rubbing up against them to still draw aggro from them.

But as Grand Prize Winner pointed out, you can just shut down your engine (which kills all noise) and they'll leave you alone.