Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Heya. I'm about to start my first job search since: getting brought on as a fresh grad apprentice 9 years ago; cracking as a fresh egg a couple months ago.

Any general advice on going about this? Things to be aware of? My name isn't legally changed yet (I intend to get that started soon), but I was out (and thoroughly embraced) at my job and no intention of presenting masc at any point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
First off: congrats!

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

It's been five years or so now, 4½ since I've been out, and still after so many years and all those years before of just torturing myself I just raise my arms and giggle and say

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
gently caress yeah :glomp:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

It's been five years or so now, 4½ since I've been out, and still after so many years and all those years before of just torturing myself I just raise my arms and giggle and say

hell yeah

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
embrace gay joy

Breaking Glass
Dec 15, 2021

fuckin rad

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

It really is a magical feeling. Even if I'm having a bad body-image day and fighting off the temptation to barf up my lunch or it's late and I feel lonely and starved for affection, I never have to live like that ever again. I never have to look in the mirror and see a grey little stranger with sadness and defeat behind their eyes ever again.

There's regret and guilt for torturing myself and hurting people I loved because I was just blindly flailing around trying to exist with this bullshit certainty that it would never be possible.

I can't even put into words just how much it feels like coming back from the dead.

I guess I'm rambling, but I'm having a bit of an insomnia spell and I've like had 5 hours sleep over the past couple days 🤷🏻‍♀️

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
being a trans is great and awesome and magical

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Lady Radia posted:

being a trans is great and awesome and magical

ok can i get u to cast some spells for me tia

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
This checks out, I did not own a wand (no not a Hitachi) nor as many books on magical theory before coming out

It's amazing how much a bad job will push you away because so far the big thing making me hesitant to leap from this place is "good insurance for trans issues" and today's meeting comes with the announcement that we're all going to have policies "re-evaluated" next month, so suddenly it seems like "get my estradiol refilled and loving bounce" is going from like a 70% to 99%

Now I just have to figure out how the gently caress to apply for jobs when I'm half-transitioned legally and do not appear femme at all, it's gonna be Questions All Around at every interview

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

personally i'm still confused & uncertain on how far I even want to take all this

the physical side of things is clear to me WRT what I am & have (or not) vs what I know I should be & have (or not), at least; but the whole social side - especially The Pronoun Question - just leaves me loving baffled trying to think about what I feel internally & want to be recognized as

still, only 3 months in to having estradiol patches, and being nearly 40 years old maybe there won't be enough physical changes for the questions to even matter, so i suppose i ought to not get too wrapped up about it all (yet)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 20, 2022

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

beats the hell out of being angry and depressed for unidentifiable reasons, at least :v:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

still, only 3 months in to having estradiol patches, and being nearly 40 years old maybe there won't be enough physical changes for the questions to even matter, so i suppose i ought to not get too wrapped up about it all (yet)

i’m not trans so take all this with a grain of salt but how you end up can really vary from person to person. i have some friends who transitioned late in life and some of the changes were really shocking to them; i think it’s probably hard to predict.

there’s not really a wrong way to go and you should just do whatever you feel you need to live your best life. but how you feel now and how you feel in a couple of years may be pretty different.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

A while back a friend's trans kid tried to climb off their 4th floor balcony because of how bad she was being treated outside their home. Her 9YO brother is the only reason she's still alive (he noticed and pulled her back).

It, uh, made me feel things I'd rather not feel again.

I'm real sorry about the way this world is treating you, pals.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Ciaphas posted:

beats the hell out of being angry and depressed for unidentifiable reasons, at least :v:

hrt is magical afaict

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Ciaphas posted:

personally i'm still confused & uncertain on how far I even want to take all this

the physical side of things is clear to me WRT what I am & have (or not) vs what I know I should be & have (or not), at least; but the whole social side - especially The Pronoun Question - just leaves me loving baffled trying to think about what I feel internally & want to be recognized as

prepare to be surprised FUCKO

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

frankly i'm surprised that there've been effects at all already, but i'm also trying not to hype myself up much

the new uh, particular ache in my chest after i bump it on something gives me the ecstatically happy tingles (and once again that is a sentence i never expected to think or write)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
enjoy! i'm almost thirty but plan on talking to my dov about hrt options and the like once my health insurance kicks in

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

i started less than a month before my 29th, and my face actually looks okay to me sometimes now.

my body..needs work. but it is in progress!!

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

secretly best girl posted:

Now I just have to figure out how the gently caress to apply for jobs when I'm half-transitioned legally and do not appear femme at all, it's gonna be Questions All Around at every interview

The way I figure it, the only thing to do is just to put the most You out there you can muster. And if the proceedings get to the point where they need legal name or whatever, we can talk. But otherwise, this is what I'm bringing so that's all y'all need to know. In my case I'd love to make that a moot legal point within a few months anyway.

Maybe it's different when demand is not so high. I'm used to thirsty recruiters but they've been bad recently and the numbers they're throwing out are up like 50%. Bracing for when I actually update my looking status on LinkedIn :ohdear:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Lady Radia posted:

i started less than a month before my 29th, and my face actually looks okay to me sometimes now.

my body..needs work. but it is in progress!!

i'm 28 and stupid and gay

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

im 29 and stupid and gay :unsmith:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

CHILDREN

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

i know, right

So today was The Weed Day but it was also the last day of our enby UX designer, hired on when we expanded because their partner was working as head of a department and went "I know someone, and also they live with me, is that cool". He left about a month ago and none of us were shocked that his partner also bounced without carpooling and closeness keeping the pair of them here. I didn't go to the after-work party because I do not trust my coworkers with their own life, much less mine, and I'm a real drag if I'm the only one at a bar in a mask. Because of this, they handed me an envelope after I took their company laptop back and headed into the night. I didn't open it until I got home because it was baby-fist small and I figured it was a tiny card or something.

It was a rather dense note wrapped around a gorgeous enamel pin of trans-colored (CGA-colored? I can't unsee that poo poo, especially after someone pointed out it's half my wardrobe) roses, and at length it said "I wouldn't have even come out or had the nerve to do so on the job except for two things: [Partner] was already there, and he saw your constant string of pins and buttons before you came out publicly. All I did was talk about pronouns, you went way further than I ever could have, but you made it possible for me to do so."

It feels incredibly weird to think of the fact that just casually existing made things seem safer for someone a decade my junior, but what the hell, I'll take it and even tear up a little.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

still, only 3 months in to having estradiol patches, and being nearly 40 years old maybe there won't be enough Physical changes for the questions to even matter
I was 41 when I started and I wasn't expecting much physically.

Even though it's not much I can look in the mirror without dissociating. And my god, does almost everything feel different. Like I'd experienced happiness before, but joy? Joy was a new one.

It's a bit of a cliche, but you can almost always see that whatever in the eyes. It makes all the bullshit, all the uncertainty and instability, all the times I feel like the ugliest woman in the world so absolutely worth it, even if I look like Jerry Springer with boobs.

Like I said, just magical ☺️

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

:unsmith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

well i'll be, that's a hell of a change - i'd seen pictures of yours before, but not from the before-times

and yeah cliches be damned; your eyes tell the entire story, and it's a good one :unsmith:

Breaking Glass
Dec 15, 2021

Last night I had a realization (roughly 4 months in) that I have no idea where this is going, that's scary, but it's ok. I spent so many years on being a person that was defined by people's expectations, either others or my own, that trying to predict where it will go is applying unhelpful pressure for me.

I mean, it's good for me to have a goal. I love that. But, I owe it to myself to give myself the space to see where I end up without personal pressure.

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

:sun: so happy for you!!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

mediaphage posted:

i’m not trans so take all this with a grain of salt but how you end up can really vary from person to person. i have some friends who transitioned late in life and some of the changes were really shocking to them; i think it’s probably hard to predict.

Lady Radia posted:

prepare to be surprised FUCKO

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

ok so all three of you have been proven right about this in my case before even one more day passed; are y'all wizards

i don't want to say publically what happened cos i think it borders on the tmi zone*, but it's made me unexpectedly joyful so i figured i'd give you the vindication anyway :v:

* that or i'm being a massive prude lol - hell, could be both

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
It's okay to say you got painfully new titties and are happy about that.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

or the first lady orgasm

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Dr. Stab posted:

It's okay to say you got painfully new titties and are happy about that.
hell i said that much yesterday (in a spoiler bar admittedly :v:); i just didn't expect the danged things to ever leak, especially not at less than 3 months in

Lady Radia posted:

or the first lady orgasm
lol didn't think of that when i posted. sadly not

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Ciaphas posted:

hell i said that much yesterday (in a spoiler bar admittedly :v:); i just didn't expect the danged things to ever leak, especially not at less than 3 months in

i think warning folks about leaky tits (whether they think it's bad or a sign of hrt doing good) isn't tmi, it's important folks know that's a common thing.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

if there's one thing i gotta learn soon it's how to stop turning beet-red-embarrassed trying to talk about these things, it only makes things more difficult than need be

also to stop being surprised at the weird & wacky turns as the journey goes on

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

hey, it's okay to not want to talk about that stuff too! just dont make it being uncomfortable with yourself

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
yeah no one's saying you gotta talk about anyrhing you don't wanna, especially not online

maybe with your doctor though i suppose

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Ciaphas posted:

lol didn't think of that when i posted. sadly not

I uhh, I would tentatively advise u to get ur prolactin levels checked because that hormone causes breast milk production but also generally shouldnt be high enough in trans women normally to do that, and can sometimes be an indicator of Bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

yeah doc wants me getting a blood draw for that done asap; hopefully going tomorrow morning

anyway in case i didn't say it, thank you all for the support and advice (and dealing w/me being a little excitable lol)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 22, 2022