Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Greg Robinson landed at San Jose State as DC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Zypher posted:

Greg Robinson landed at San Jose State as DC

Considering that Mack won't be returning as coach, I sure hope he sends Greg the magical talisman that turned him in to an awesome coach every time he was at Texas.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Oregon State's having a lot of coaching turnover lately, which is unusual for the program.

Latest rumor that Oklahoma State is going to hire Oregon State OL coach Mike Cavanaugh to the same position. Cavanaugh turned one of the worst lines in all of FBS into a respectable pass-blocking unit last season; he could do well in Stillwater.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Bruce Feldman ‏@BFeldmanCBS
#Bama officially announces former #Clemson DC Kevin Steele as new #Tide's new LB coach.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Tony Gibson has been named Defensive Coordinator at WVU.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

DJExile posted:

Tony Gibson has been named Defensive Coordinator at WVU.

lmao

heel turn
Jan 6, 2004

Some boy tried to step to me at the county fair. I said son u clearly have no ideal what creek im from

Dana probably signed his death warrant with this one. There's a rumor going around that a few players have told people that Dana wants to bring the 3-3-5 back, and Gibby knows the system. There's also talk that we're going to re-hire Bruce Tall to fill the empty spot on the defensive side.

If you want the conspiracy theory that people are buying into, Oliver Luck is slowly bringing back all of Rich's guys so he can make his triumphant return to Morgantown after Dana is fired for going 3-9.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FB Scoops posted:

Minnesota: Golden Gopher administration and head coach Jerry Kill are working on a new contract, and an announcement should be made soon. Kill is making $1.2 million annually right now (not including bonuses), which is lowest among Big Ten coaches.

That sound you hear is Gendo screaming

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Do other coaches have a performance clause?

You'd think Kill would have to fulfill a minimum requirement of standing vertically for the duration of a game on a consistent basis or something.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

DJExile posted:

That sound you hear is Gendo screaming

Gendo don't care about no Gophers

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Breaky posted:

Do other coaches have a performance clause?

You'd think Kill would have to fulfill a minimum requirement of standing vertically for the duration of a game on a consistent basis or something.

I can see the negotiations turning into quite a shakedown.

LSC
Apr 17, 2006

Hed posted:

I can see the negotiations turning into quite a shakedown.

Someone will seize the moment for sure.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

These jokes are always a flop

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
ROFS

ntd
Apr 17, 2001

Give me a sandwich!
Taver Johnson left Arkansas for....Purdue.

He coached with Hazell at Ohio State. DBs were good when he was at Ohio State...but they have been good my entire lifetime except for the past few years (right after he left...). I imagine he was one of the last holdovers from Petrino's staff

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bailiff has a new 5-year deal at Rice.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
The Lincoln Journal-Star posted a letter written by Mike Ekeler. He's from Nebraska, but didn't have a real connection to the university until Pelini brought him to Lincoln from LSU to be linebackers coach.

He was a pretty good one, too, and left to become DC at Indiana (which didn't work out — see below). He was at USC last year and got hired at UGA last month.

Decent read:

http://m.journalstar.com/sports/huskers/life-in-the-red/article_8a7eb8c4-9838-11e3-a783-0019bb2963f4.html#.UwNry_28WXg.twitter

quote:

Dec. 24th, 2010, was one of the hardest days of my life. We had our last bowl practice in Lincoln and it was the day I told our LB group (Will Compton, Sean Fisher, Lavonte David, Alonzo Whaley, Matt May and pseudo assistant coach Blake Lawrence) that I was leaving. After practice we gathered in our LB group and I broke the news, at least tried to break the news. I couldn't talk, I just started crying and looked up and the whole group was crying. When you leave a dream job, you leave for one reason, and that is to grow both as a person and as a coach.

Fast forward three years. Having spent two forgettable years at Indiana (Oh, I learned more than I wanted!) and one great, highly unusual year at USC (basically four head coaches in one season), I found myself in a position no coach wants to be in. On Dec. 21st, after completing a 10-win season, having the No. 1 defense in the Pac-12 and No. 13 defense nationally, I was out of work.

Let me back up to Dec. 2. I was in St. Louis visiting a recruit, came out of the school and was driving to Chicago. I heard on the radio that USC had just hired Steve Sarkisian. I turned around and headed to the airport and back to L.A. On Dec. 3rd, USC athletic director Pat Haden introduced the staff to Clay Helton (interim head coach No. 2, an unreal guy) and future Head Coach Sarkisian (another great guy).

Sark was in an unusual position. Usually a head coach comes in after a bad season and it’s all very cut and dried. But we had a remarkable season, winning 10 games (while suiting up just 47 players), and going through essentially four coaching changes. Sark told us he hadn’t made any staff decisions and he would meet with all of us.

Dec. 4th, I was sitting in my office game-planning for our bowl game and noticed who I thought was Peter Sirmon (Sark's LB coach from Washington). He was in the office across the hall filling out H.R. paperwork. I walked over and introduced myself as the "former LBs coach at USC." I ended up meeting with Sark the next day and told him if he hadn’t brought his defensive coaches from UW, I wouldn’t have respected him or wanted to work for him. During the next three weeks, I became friends with all the new coaches. It was unusual. We shared our offices and they watched the bowl practices. Dec. 21 we won our bowl game, and I'm officially on the street.

So, the real purpose of this letter. There is a saying in life: “Who are your six?" Meaning, when the crap hits the fan, who is going to be there for you? When you’re out of work in coaching, you find out in a hurry. Jan. 15th, the University of Georgia LBs coach leaves to go to the NFL. Jan. 16th, I called Tom Osborne at 7 a.m. and asked if he would call Georgia head coach Mark Richt. Coach Osborne called me back 20 minutes later and said they had a great visit, and Coach Richt would truly consider interviewing me. At 8 a.m., Bo Pelini called and spoke with Coach Richt and new defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt. Jeff Jamrog called his good friend Josh Brooks, who works in the Georgia athletic department, and the ball was rolling.

Helton made calls to his good friends, Georgia offensive line coach Will Friend and offensive coordinator Mike Bobo. Bob Stoops called Pruitt ... All this to try to get an interview!! Jan. 23rd, I received a call from Pruitt. He said they were going to bring me and a few others in to interview for the last defensive spot. I called Nebraska video coordinator Mike Nobler, a great guy, and he hooked me up with all of Georgia's game film via Hudl; that was huge.

Jan. 31st, I went to Athens and interviewed. What a process!!! During my interview, Coach Richt told the staff, “Mike pulled out the Big Gun on me, Coach Osborne, so I had to bring him in.”

I could write a book on this experience ...

My point is it’s a very difficult profession. Bo called on every job that I had interest in. He went way out of his way for me and my family. John Papuchis wore out the phones for me. I can’t leave out Monte Kiffin (who I got to know when I was at Nebraska); he is the one who brought me out to USC to work for Lane Kiffin (who made calls to both Richt and Pruitt). Now I get to work for a great man, Coach Richt, who was born in Omaha and both parents are South High grads. I left Nebraska three years ago and the people who were there for me in my time of need are in Nebraska. I'm so grateful for the opportunity to coach at the University of Georgia, another dream job, and I hope to be there for 20 years! It wouldn’t have happened if it wasn’t for my Nebraska Family.

Go Huskers and Sic Em Dogs!!!!

Sincerely,

Mike Ekeler

:unsmith:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That's an awesome story :)

heel turn
Jan 6, 2004

Some boy tried to step to me at the county fair. I said son u clearly have no ideal what creek im from
WVU is hiring Tom Bradley as associate head coach/linebackers. Probably one of the best moves Holgorsen could make.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

heel turn posted:

WVU is hiring Tom Bradley as associate head coach/linebackers. Probably one of the best moves Holgorsen could make.

So, by 'associate head coach' does that basically mean 'head coach for the defense' like Briles likes his DCs to be?

I'll be fascinated to see what WVU does next year. Between how much they backslid last year and how brutal their schedule could be this year, I wonder how many wins Holgerson really needs to save his job.

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?
I didn't post it immediately, but LSU has stolen Bradley Dale Peveto away from Kentucky.

BDP was a source of awesome quotes, did some quality recruiting, and was responsible for this:

Farewell and so long, man with two first names.

Two names have been floated for UK's open Special Teams Coordinator position:

Vernon Hargreaves (LBs - Houston) and Dan Hammerschmidt (RBs - Houston). No idea why the only two names are currently coaching at UH.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Like Les Miles needs more trick play wizardry

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Bradley was a good DC, and is certainly an upgrade on the shitshow Gibson would be, but doesn't seem like a great fit with all the Big XII spreads.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

His love of the DBs being 12 yards off the line is going to be a disaster.

heel turn
Jan 6, 2004

Spiritus Nox posted:

So, by 'associate head coach' does that basically mean 'head coach for the defense' like Briles likes his DCs to be?

I'll be fascinated to see what WVU does next year. Between how much they backslid last year and how brutal their schedule could be this year, I wonder how many wins Holgerson really needs to save his job.

I'm pretty sure Tony Gibson is still going to be defensive coordinator, at least in title.

Holgorsen is still going to need 7, maybe 8 wins, IMO to save his job. Hopefully he's able to pull it off because he's putting together one hell of a recruiting class for 2015, and hiring Bradley is only going to help that cause.

Sash! posted:

His love of the DBs being 12 yards off the line is going to be a disaster.

This is nothing new to us.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Spiritus Nox posted:

Well as long as they beat Alabama I'll be a happy camper.

heel turn
Jan 6, 2004

Thermos H Christ posted:

Well as long as they beat Alabama I'll be a happy camper.

I'm afraid I've got some bad news.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Former Everything posted:

Two names have been floated for UK's open Special Teams Coordinator position:

Vernon Hargreaves (LBs - Houston) and Dan Hammerschmidt (RBs - Houston). No idea why the only two names are currently coaching at UH.

Any relation to Vernon Hargreaves III, the CB at UF?

FunkyBean
Mar 17, 2011
Low on fat and calories so gonna go eat some peanut butter.

swickles posted:

Any relation to Vernon Hargreaves III, the CB at UF?

Pretty sure it's his dad. Used to coach at USF I think.

COMPUTER SECRETS
Oct 6, 2003

Pig Sooie
Clay Jennings left TCU for the same position at Arkansas. Pretty happy with this hire and it's good to get someone on the staff with Texas ties.

http://swtimes.com/sports/ua-football-jennings-coach-dbs

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?

FunkyBean posted:

Yep. Hargreaves also coached with Stoops at Miami 2001-2003. Hargreaves has special teams experience, so is my personal favorite of the two.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

heel turn posted:

I'm afraid I've got some bad news.

This post/av/name combo is fantastic.

I missed Ron Burton coming on to MSU's staff as DL coach. Any Air Force fans have anything to say about him?

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Real Name Grover posted:

The Lincoln Journal-Star posted a letter written by Mike Ekeler. He's from Nebraska, but didn't have a real connection to the university until Pelini brought him to Lincoln from LSU to be linebackers coach.

He was a pretty good one, too, and left to become DC at Indiana (which didn't work out — see below). He was at USC last year and got hired at UGA last month.

Decent read:

http://m.journalstar.com/sports/huskers/life-in-the-red/article_8a7eb8c4-9838-11e3-a783-0019bb2963f4.html#.UwNry_28WXg.twitter

:unsmith:

Instantly reminded me of The Solid Verbal's interview with Penn State's new OL coach Herb Hand, who you might know from this EDSBS season opener piece. Some more good insight into the coach hiring process, and a great recipe for a blue cheese bacon flatbread that I want to try.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FunkyBean posted:

Correct.

E: Way beaten

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

FSU LB Coach status: Still Vacant.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Congrats Brian Harsin on your infinite contract with Boise

FB Scoops posted:

Boise State: Boise State has signed Bryan Harsin to a five-year contract with at least $6.5 million guaranteed, with an automatic one-year extension every time the Broncos reach the nine-win mark. He will earn a base salary of $1 million in 2014 up to $1.65 million in 2018, with bonuses ranging from $15,000 for a division title and $250,000 for a national championship. Staff salaries include: defensive coordinator Marcel Yates ($317,500), offensive coordinator Mike Sanford ($305,000), offensive line coach Scott Huff ($270,000), special teams/running backs/associate head coach Kent Riddle ($250,000), defensive line/assistant head coach Steve Caldwell ($220,000), linebackers coach Andy Avalos ($210,000), tight ends coach Eliah Drinkwitz ($160,000), wide receivers coach Junior Adams ($160,000), and defensive backs coach Julius Brown ($160,000).

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I guess if the school has a minimum number of wins they consider acceptable you might as well get it in writing.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Shear Modulus posted:

I guess if the school has a minimum number of wins they consider acceptable you might as well get it in writing.

The "Mack Brown" clause.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bobby Petrino's contract details are out

FB Scoops posted:

Louisville released the highlights of Bobby Petrino's contract on Friday, and the big ticket item from January - the $10 million buyout - made it in the final version. Should Petrino take another job on or before June 30, 2017, he (or, more accurately, his next employer) would be on the hook for $10,000,000. The buyout decreases by $1.5 million a year from there. If, say, Petrino leaves after the 2016 season, Louisville would have actually made $1 million for his three years of service (minus bonuses). It's worth noting, however, that the buyout decreases by 50 percent if Cardinals athletics director Tom Jurich vacates his post.

As for the rest of the deal, Petrino is signed to a six-year contract with a base salary of $3 million a year. His predecessor, Charlie Strong, made $3.7 million in 2013, while Petrino banked $855,600 at Western Kentucky according to the USA Today coaching salary database.

Petrino can also earn a $500,000 bonus if Louisville posts an APR score of 935 or higher. The Cardinals scored a 924 in 2011-12, but registered consecutive years of 952, 947 and 943 from 2004-06 under Petrino, Louisville's three highest scores since the APR system debuted a decade ago.

From there, Petrino's bonuses range from $25,000 for a conference championship, a top 25 finish or a team GPA of 2.5 to 2-74 up to a $200,000 bonus for a national championship. Petrino can earn up to $4.05 million in one season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

Bobby Petrino's contract details are out

Are team GPA bonuses standard parts of college coaching contracts? That's the first one I can remember seeing.

• Locked thread