Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

PupsOfWar posted:

a fun thing w/ cersei's assassination method is that hypothetically she could have tried to kill Robert before, and this just happened to be the time it worked

My theory is that they've been giving him strong wine for all manner of hunts and jousts and ladder climbs etc over the past years but this was the time they finally got him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Katt posted:

My theory is that they've been giving him strong wine for all manner of hunts and jousts and ladder climbs etc over the past years but this was the time they finally got him.

This seems like a reasonable theory. There's also the theory that the attempts to help him kill himself have gotten serious since Jon Arryn was killed. And or since Arryn started looking into Robert's bastards. Or that whole thing is a coincidence.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
It seems pretty straightforward to me that if you want a fat drunk that loves boar-hunting dead you get him extremely juiced and wait for the inevitable.

It doesn't take a Varys or Qyburn to orchestrate. A Cersei or a Lancel could pull that one off.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Solice Kirsk posted:

If the books finally come out, I say we all accept a specially crafted permaban with a picture of the Absolute Fucker cert and "What is dead may never die" as the tag.

:agreed:

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

kcroy posted:

Wait what now? How do we know this?

She explicitly tells Jaimes that's exactly what happened. Jaime's basically tells her she disgusts him and to never talk to him again

Jaime's Feast chapters are actually really loving good

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
i mean drinking that much strongwine ought to cause liver failure at some point surely or... esophageal cancer???

does cancer exist in westeros

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Food Boner posted:

i mean drinking that much strongwine ought to cause liver failure at some point surely or... esophageal cancer???

Bobby B is only around 29 years old in the books. Most alcohol related cancer manifests much later.

Also, he was a normal wine drunk. The "strong wine" is how they pushed him over the edge.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

It seems pretty straightforward to me that if you want a fat drunk that loves boar-hunting dead you get him extremely juiced and wait for the inevitable.

It doesn't take a Varys or Qyburn to orchestrate. A Cersei or a Lancel could pull that one off.

It’s true, but the timing was so, so perfect for Cersei and so, so bad for Ned. Literally any other time and she’d have been SOL.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Sometimes the sun shines on a dog's rear end.

And, grand scheme of things, better for everyone that Cersei beat Ned.

Imagine Ned being around when the mad queen shows up to kill everyone and the North is led by honorable Ned instead of a horny aunt-fucker.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
imagine the civil war being stan and the north and tullys vs tywin vs maybe renly/highgarden vs the iron islands

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
If Ned won that round, Stannis or Renly go on the Throne, right? Can't imagine how well they'd react to Dany showing up.

Meanwhile Ned looks at that shitshow and feels increasingly vindicated in keeping quiet about R+L=J.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Bobby B is only around 29 years old in the books.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Food Boner posted:

Hoster Tully dies of it.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Food Boner posted:

"Crabs in my belly."

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

YaketySass posted:

If Ned won that round, Stannis or Renly go on the Throne, right? Can't imagine how well they'd react to Dany showing up.

Meanwhile Ned looks at that shitshow and feels increasingly vindicated in keeping quiet about R+L=J.

Stannis would take the thrown without needing to go to war. And he would have snuffed out Dany within a month of being king. He wouldn't take the chance of leaving her alive over there. It would have been an endless stream of shadow assassins until one of them got her.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Ague Proof posted:

"Crabs in my belly."

That seems like an overly figurative interpretation of what killed Tully.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Solice Kirsk posted:

Stannis would take the thrown without needing to go to war. And he would have snuffed out Dany within a month of being king. He wouldn't take the chance of leaving her alive over there. It would have been an endless stream of shadow assassins until one of them got her.

How do you even defend yourself against just one of them?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Solice Kirsk posted:

He probably would've caused a religious civil war, though.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

MikeJF posted:

He probably would've caused a religious civil war, though.

Over what? The church was almost entirely in the crowns pocket. If he was just subtle about how he. Okay no you're right he'd have caused a civil war because he'd probably have outlawed worship of the Seven straight up and started executing the church leadership without thought, because "it was right."

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

pseudanonymous posted:

Over what? The church was almost entirely in the crowns pocket. If he was just subtle about how he. Okay no you're right he'd have caused a civil war because he'd probably have outlawed worship of the Seven straight up and started executing the church leadership without thought, because "it was right."

Stannis is generally incredibly pragmatic about religious matters, he only gives a poo poo as far as it advances his goals. His public image as an uncompromizing terminator obfuscates the fact that he can be pretty canny when he has the opportunity to be so.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Stannis would take the thrown without needing to go to war.

Yea but would he have taken the throne after that?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

RCarr posted:

Yea but would he have taken the throne after that?

presumably Stannis would expect Shireen to be his heir, as he does in canon

but the lords of westeros have always gone to any lengths to avoid having a queen regnant, so probably they'd end up doing a Great Council situation and installing renly (if he survived in this hypothetical) or some distant cousin as heir

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Surely Shireen would've been married in this scenario.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

shireen was his heir after renly died. at the parlay he offered to name renly his designated heir until he had a son didnt he?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

one thing i'm not clear on is when Renly graduated from generally scheming for influence (like anyone would do) to wanting himself to be king

at the beginning of AGOT he just wants to replace cersei with margaery. He might've discovered the incest scandal and seen an opportunity to gain a bunch of influence for himself, or he might've been put up to it entirely by the tyrells, but so far as we know he was not scheming to be heir himself at that point

then later he crowns himself

had he decided he wanted to be king yet by the time he made the coup offer to Ned? I don't remember

if this scenario happens before he's decided to be king, then sure, maybe a sufficiently strong consensus of lords could persuade him to accept some power sharing deal where he'd just be stannis's heir, maybe heir+hand (a combo the targs used often) or regent presumptive for any hypothetical sons of stannis

MikeJF posted:

Surely Shireen would've been married in this scenario.

having a prince-consort lined up doesn't seem to help w/ westeros's general aversion to queens regnant

the past female targaryen heirs that were passed over were often married

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

PupsOfWar posted:

having a prince-consort lined up doesn't seem to help w/ westeros's general aversion to queens regnant

I was thinking King by marriage, not prince-consort.

Maybe he'd loop around, legitimise Edric as his heir, and marry him to Shireen. Keep it in house Baratheon.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 1, 2019

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

renly is a really ambiguous figure when you think about it

in general i dont like most book -> show changes (even the minor understandable/unavoidable ones), but i can approve of their attempts to make ol' renly more sympathetic

in the books, there is iirc never any implication he is anything other than some rear end in a top hat who decided he could be king because he has a lot of friends

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

PupsOfWar posted:

renly is a really ambiguous figure when you think about it

in general i dont like most book -> show changes (even the minor understandable/unavoidable ones), but i can approve of their attempts to make ol' renly more sympathetic

in the books, there is iirc never any implication he is anything other than some rear end in a top hat who decided he could be king because he has a lot of friends

That's what he is in the show too, the narration just decides that makes him sympathetic.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

he decides he should be king because the most powerful lord in the kingdom says "ill make you king" and he would have won if stan didnt gank him

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

YaketySass posted:

That's what he is in the show too, the narration just decides that makes him sympathetic.

show renly seems to have some sorta vague populist values & a belief that aggressive martinets like robert (and most westerosi lords) are Bad for the realm

that's not much, but it's a lot more than book renly has

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 1, 2019

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

PupsOfWar posted:

show renly seems to have some sorta vague populist values & a belief that aggressive martinets like robert (and most westerosi lords) are Bad for the realm

that's not much, but it's a lot more than book renly has

Book Renly talks about how Stannis would make a horrible king, be totally merciless etc.. whereas he is beloved and some other stuff iirc.

I don't know that Renly ever really "decides" he wants to be king. But I think the medieval noble mindset was basically every lord wants to be a high lord and every high lord wants to be king.

I mean just think about today. Someone like Jeff Bezos or Warren Buffet. They have enough money for basically anything. There's virtually nothing they can't buy now that they couldn't buy with more money. But do they quit working and live their lives? No they still put in like 60 hour weeks. I think being born noble would similarly break your brain. Never having to work and literally goofing off all the time doing whatever your please? Nah better plot dangerously and put your life at risk so you can sit on a slightly higher pointier chair.

*edit missed the word sit.

pseudanonymous fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 1, 2019

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Countless examples of the same thing happening throughout history. Alexander the Great's body was barely cold when his top lieutenants all started trying to murder each other and become his sole successor. The number of people who have risen to be second-in-command without turning into Starscream are vanishingly rare - Agrippa was one of them, and he's likely responsible for most of Octavian's success as Emperor.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Kylaer posted:

Countless examples of the same thing happening throughout history. Alexander the Great's body was barely cold when his top lieutenants all started trying to murder each other and become his sole successor. The number of people who have risen to be second-in-command without turning into Starscream are vanishingly rare - Agrippa was one of them, and he's likely responsible for most of Octavian's success as Emperor.

I loved Starscream. I still love him. I love Starscream.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

pseudanonymous posted:

But do they quit working and live their lives? No they still put in like 60 hour weeks.

yes, about that

it's bullshit

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

yes, about that

it's bullshit

That's a 10-year-old survey by an organization that, as far as I can tell, exists to suck off CEO's. They get the data from their assistants. Guess what. CEO's are liars. If their assistants want to keep their jobs they are liars too.

Do i think CEO's work all the time they are "at work" no of course not. What I'm getting at is they are hollowed out shells of human beings. Maybe they take 2 hour executive lunches or gently caress their massage therapist "on the clock" but they don't have any real identity or purpose outside being that business guy.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

PupsOfWar posted:

one thing i'm not clear on is when Renly graduated from generally scheming for influence (like anyone would do) to wanting himself to be king

at the beginning of AGOT he just wants to replace cersei with margaery. He might've discovered the incest scandal and seen an opportunity to gain a bunch of influence for himself, or he might've been put up to it entirely by the tyrells, but so far as we know he was not scheming to be heir himself at that point

I imagine he was heavily influenced by the Tyrells and it wouldn't take much nudging from Loras/Marge to make him realize how big an army he could easily rally to his cause.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Renly went on and on on how Stannis was too dour and dry and uncompromising but in reality the Mannis was all chuckles and wit and being willing to work with anyone and change his point of view

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

yes, about that

it's bullshit

subtract that 20 hours of "gym and stuff" time and they put in a 35 hour work week when the rest of the world doesn't get paid lunches and does all their "gym and stuff" on their own time.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

is it ever said when robert made renly lord of storms end? like he was 8 or some poo poo at the end of the rebellion wasnt he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

violent sex idiot posted:

is it ever said when robert made renly lord of storms end? like he was 8 or some poo poo at the end of the rebellion wasnt he?

renly was 6 at the end of the rebellion, a lil babby

I don't think Robert's rationale for that move is ever referenced in the books

always figured it was that the Narrow Sea lords were the oldest and most determined targaryen loyalists, so Bob wanted a reliable, harsh commander in place to keep an eye on em

one of the show tie-in lore summaries however implies that it was a punishment - Robert was so mad that Stannis failed to capture Viserys and Dany that he stripped him of Storm's End. One of several cases where those tie-ins embelleished or elaborated on backstory from the books. Always wondered who wrote those.