Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Jaimi Barbakoff is English, yes. I don't mind her accent in Witcher 2 and 3 to be honest. It's nice not having every person in fantasy land sound like they're from Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I'm on my....10th or so playthrough across 4 systems and roughly 1300 hours. And everytime I am absolutely confused how anyone ever though the Ciri vs Crones fight was a cool and good thing to put in the game. Just an absolute unfun slog.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

10 Beers posted:

Just an absolute unfun slog.

I feel like this about every boss fight in every game. I wish Story Modes would do away with them.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Oh dear me posted:

I feel like this about every boss fight in every game. I wish Story Modes would do away with them.

Witcher 3 is my all time favorite game, but the parts where you're forced to play as Ciri are the worst parts of the game and I wish you could skip them on subsequent playthroughs.

10 Beers fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 2, 2023

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
What's so wrong about that fight? I don't remember having problems with it. I do remember struggling A LOT with Imlerith though

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Ciri's health regens from her stamina, which you increase by landing attacks. As long as you're changing between being defensive and aggressive regularly the fight should be pretty simple?

e: One bug that might be loving you over is that when you do the charge-up teleport attack an invisible Ciri still sits in the original position and can get hit by attacks that were still incoming.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Aug 3, 2023

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
For one thing, Ciri doesn't get any of the cool Witcher poo poo that Geralt does, so your only options are "hit thing with sword" or "teleport, then hit thing with sword". Which greatly exacerbates the slogginess of any Ciri sequence.

There was also some fuckiness with level scaling, especially in NG+, that made Ciri fights massively harder than comparable stuff with Geralt. I don't know if the new update has helped that any. But that also enforced a play style that was just dodge dodge dodge dodge *bonk* dodge dodge dodge dodge *bonk* dodge dodge dodge dodge *bonk* for ten minutes.

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
im still addicted to gwent, its fuckin good and I found the setting to change its difficulty. I should look up a guide on where all the cards are so I can try out other decks but it feels wrong to look at guides

Ciri is ridiculous though, you can basically trounce every single fight without gettin hit because she has that OP insta dodge teleport, can understnad where you're coming from because you don't have the RPG aspect of being able to strengthen yourself with magic etc and it just is what it is.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I started a new playthrough fully intending to romance Yennifer but Triss charmed me again.

I just can't quit her! Maybe I'm broken but within the fiction of the games she just has way better chemistry with Geralt and - as another poster said earlier - in the text of the game's script Geralt just doesn't seem to be all that upset over the whole amnesia situation.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ciri sections would be better if all of them let her be as OP as she is during the Skellige battle on the ice flow.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I haven't done NG+, but I did play through on blood march or whatever it's called (until I think I turned it off during the DLC when things got hard) and you are still very effective as Ciri. The segments go quick enough. I don't remember them being too bad, except maybe the extended sequence when you're meeting the baron and running around there.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

VanillaGorilla posted:

I started a new playthrough fully intending to romance Yennifer but Triss charmed me again.

I just can't quit her! Maybe I'm broken but within the fiction of the games she just has way better chemistry with Geralt and - as another poster said earlier - in the text of the game's script Geralt just doesn't seem to be all that upset over the whole amnesia situation.

You sure it's not because she's hot?

Also Geralt's kinda an idiot socially. Plus he probably doesn't know about the elven bathhouse (attempted) rape, since he doesn't get the magic resistance popup (assuming he even resisted in that playthrough).

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Like Triss was poo poo in both Witcher 1 and 2, but she is basically a girl scout in 3. Easily the most altruistic and moral sorceress in the game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
her actions in Witcher 3 walk the line between altruistic and suicidal, since they’re pretty much entirely rooted in guilt

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
The biggest loving nail in the Triss romance coffin is that she thinks of Ciri as a sister. loving gag.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 4, 2023

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
All y'all can think bad of Triss as much as you want. That just means more of Triss for me. :q:

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
No it doesn't, she's not a finite resource.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

10 Beers posted:

I'm on my....10th or so playthrough across 4 systems and roughly 1300 hours. And everytime I am absolutely confused how anyone ever though the Ciri vs Crones fight was a cool and good thing to put in the game. Just an absolute unfun slog.

I hate the one toward the end of the game too. The Crones get played up as this insane otherworldly threat too dangerous and unknowable to even begin to understand or mess with and Geralt goes toe to toe with them in the blandest 1v3 ever that isn't even up to the garden variety monsters he deals with every day??? That was a downright tragic waste of them.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Wingnut Ninja posted:

For one thing, Ciri doesn't get any of the cool Witcher poo poo that Geralt does, so your only options are "hit thing with sword" or "teleport, then hit thing with sword". Which greatly exacerbates the slogginess of any Ciri sequence.

There was also some fuckiness with level scaling, especially in NG+, that made Ciri fights massively harder than comparable stuff with Geralt. I don't know if the new update has helped that any. But that also enforced a play style that was just dodge dodge dodge dodge *bonk* dodge dodge dodge dodge *bonk* dodge dodge dodge dodge *bonk* for ten minutes.

It's this. I'm on Death March so getting hit hurts. Ciri doesn't hit hard, has no way to increase health regen, gets no fun tricks, and her teleport isn't fun to use. The fight always turns into having to teleport around while my health slowly increases. All the while Whispess and Weavess can hit me from offscreen with know way of knowing it's going to happen.

I've beaten this fight plenty before, but everytime I replay it it annoys me.

10 Beers fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 4, 2023

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Toadsmash posted:

I hate the one toward the end of the game too. The Crones get played up as this insane otherworldly threat too dangerous and unknowable to even begin to understand or mess with and Geralt goes toe to toe with them in the blandest 1v3 ever that isn't even up to the garden variety monsters he deals with every day??? That was a downright tragic waste of them.

The 1v3 is as Ciri, and I think lore-wise she's supposed to be at or above their power level (even if the fight itself is just hitting them with swords over and over)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ouroboros posted:

I mean that Sherlock is a dogshit show, I've not watched enough to comment on whether that holds true but it's not like there aren't examples of that written slightly better. The only Sherlock show I ever watched much of was House, and everyone around him is constantly sick of his poo poo and he ruins all his relationships repeatedly.

There's a lot of good adaptations of Sherlock Holmes, Sherlock is not one of them.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

VanillaGorilla posted:

If you've never actually done it, then you are missing out on the chemistry as it is sandbagged a bit. Her romance quest is far superior and afterwards there are a number of small interactions that are far more genuine than anything that happens with Triss. Yen goes out of her way to express affection for Geralt multiple times after that. Before curing Uma, before both major battles, etc. All of those feel far more real and in short moments do a great job showing the actual affection the 2 have for each other.

I of course was on vacation backpacking with no internet the time the thread is the hottest in months, so forgive me for jumping around.

Comte already pretty much made the best point about Yen by saying if Geralt did the things she does, no one would bat an eye. Ermion is being a stubborn prick and Yen is being arrogant, so it takes Geralt showing up to allow the mask to be stolen and also for Ermion to be pacified after by Geralt's diplomacy. At her core in W3 she is a mother quite literally willing to tear apart heaven and earth to protect her child and to call her a sociopath entirely misses that core point. Everything she does is rooted in her love for Ciri, including her making mistakes and letting her own arrogance and refusal to trust others hinder her in that process.

Using necromancy on Skjall is a necessary act and Yen is clearly distasteful of the entire thing, shuddering and appearing more vulnerable and traumatized than at any other point afterwards. She then accepts the entire blame even though Geralt was 100% a willing accomplice. That exists to show you how she handles these things. She may run roughshod over people but she accepts the consequences and even takes on more of them to shield her loved ones, few though they are.

Her interactions with Vesemir and the witchers are rooted in mutual acrimony. They see her as meddling with Geralt and thus them, and she sees them as being unwilling to do their part to assist. She knows Lambert will flip his poo poo if she tells him about doing the trial of the grasses so she has to wait until Geralt is there to back her up to drop that info. That is why she is stuck having to try and order them around without explaining why and they then drag their feet. She is just as sad as anyone when Vesemir dies as well, and its telling that her role in the battle is to protect everyone else, as opposed to Triss and Keira doing things to kill Wild Hunt troops.

Basically Yen does things that need to be done, and chooses to shoulder the burden so others do not have to. As a result she is haughty, prickly, and can be dismissive of those people's feelings at times since in her mind they are being ungrateful, though because of her insularity they may not even know she is doing something for them. She is flawed and makes mistakes but by the end is far more warm and caring then at the start once her guard can be let down and the immediate crisis of her daughter being missing is solved. Her and Geralt spying through the keyhole is so quaint and charming after dealing with everything else and does a good job of reminding you just what everyone's roles are in their ad hoc family.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
And so, I'm finished.

I started TW3 in October of 2019, and then just played it on and off. It was a TV show, y'know, it had seasons and gaps. The gaps tended to occur in narrative lulls, like the whole Novigrad questline. (For some reason, my game bugged out and played that one "Wounded and tired..." Velen Crones loading screen narration for like half the game). Looking over the saves, the longest gap was Jan-Aug 2022, mostly to make room for Elden Ring and Horizon FW. I'm a little sad to see it go. Though I won't miss getting around on Roach.

I chose to kill Detlaff, which led to both sisters dying and Regis being exiled. I think that might be the worst possible ending? But I decided early on that I was going to make my choices and accept the consequences, with exceptions only for BS like Shove Djikstra. It looks like I missed out on a cool fantasyland quest, but oh well - Geralt can't win em all.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Kazzah posted:

And so, I'm finished.

I started TW3 in October of 2019, and then just played it on and off. It was a TV show, y'know, it had seasons and gaps. The gaps tended to occur in narrative lulls, like the whole Novigrad questline. (For some reason, my game bugged out and played that one "Wounded and tired..." Velen Crones loading screen narration for like half the game). Looking over the saves, the longest gap was Jan-Aug 2022, mostly to make room for Elden Ring and Horizon FW. I'm a little sad to see it go. Though I won't miss getting around on Roach.

I chose to kill Detlaff, which led to both sisters dying and Regis being exiled. I think that might be the worst possible ending? But I decided early on that I was going to make my choices and accept the consequences, with exceptions only for BS like Shove Djikstra. It looks like I missed out on a cool fantasyland quest, but oh well - Geralt can't win em all.

for B&W that can be seen as the worst ending, though no one involved was blameless. even Regis was playing fast and loose with something way more dangerous than he ascertained, and that got people killed. If anything its just the worst from Geralt's perspective as the most people close to him were harmed on top of what had already occurred. i.e. Annarietta, the captain of the guard Geralt becomes bros with, etc.

And yeah missing out on the fantasyland does suck, i wish that was mandatory cause it sucks for anyone to miss out on it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's absolutely bizarre how much of a difference there is between the forks on that. One is a whole drat fancy area with a bunch of sidequests and a unique horse, the other is a loving empty cave with a couple of minor effects and just a little bit of eerie worldbuilding. I had thought the "higher vampire" would be like an underground mob boss holding court, but no he's just a naked dude in a cave wishing he was somewhere else. Really disappointing.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I do appreciate that when they say "there are two ways of doing this" they're very different ways; in a lot of games that kind of choice just means doing essentially the same thing for person A or person B. It is pretty wild though how lopsided the amount of content/effort is between the two paths.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's absolutely bizarre how much of a difference there is between the forks on that. One is a whole drat fancy area with a bunch of sidequests and a unique horse, the other is a loving empty cave with a couple of minor effects and just a little bit of eerie worldbuilding. I had thought the "higher vampire" would be like an underground mob boss holding court, but no he's just a naked dude in a cave wishing he was somewhere else. Really disappointing.

Hard disagree on the Unseen Elder. Not as fun as the fairy tale land, but Unseen Elder is second only to Gaunter O’Dimm as an “unfuckwithable and incomprehensibly powerful” enemy. I love seeing those.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I tend to just roll my eyes at all the talk of invincible almighty vampires because who loving cares. What a dull idea for this one monster to be unlike all the other monsters to be exempt from the rules of the world. Oh no THIS magic is the real deal, not like all the OTHER magic that you've seen throughout the world.

Like there's already plenty of creatures out there more powerful than Gerault, and most of the creatures he does take on, he can only do it because he has the luxury of lots of academic research and plenty of leadup to prepare for the fight. You don't have to do a whole song and dance about how this guy is so much more powerful and invincible for a guy to beat Gerault, it just comes off as obnoxious.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Vampires always talk a lot of poo poo until a Texan with a Bowie knife shows up

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think it's very intentional that Regis keeps insisting that Vampires are so much deeper and inscrutable than humans are. He misses the forest for the trees because he feels he owes Detlaff for saving him when ultimately Detlaff is driven by the same base emotional desires as the humans. I've seen people pick at Detlaff for not being a very compelling antagonist in B&W compared to Gaunter or Olgierd but it doesn't bother me that much when my big takeaway from the DLC is Regis's personal struggle between loyalty to his Vampire clan and his own morality.

Regis and the Vampires are all haughty and act like they're above the simplistic drives of "lesser" creatures when they're literally no different.

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011
Yeah I have to agree that fork was a pretty bad decision, I applaud to attempt to offer genuine choice that significantly alters the way the game plays out, but hiding the obvious highlight of the entire DLC behind a decision like that is just foolish, especially when the alternative is so forgettable. If you play it through making that choice, the end quarter or so of the DLC is just a complete downer that totally clashes with the tone of the rest of it and kind of ruins it imo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Toussaint as a whole is a fairytale land where the fantasy only exists for those who want to play along with it. The moment somebody breaks the illusion and let's reality seep in everyone gets upset, either to comedic or tragic effect depending on the severity of the situation. This makes grumpy rear end Geralt perfect as a player character since he can do both.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I decided to install W3 again, check out that next-gen update, try a higher difficulty level etc. I was a bit concerned by some glitches and frame drops but it only happened once, so I'm hoping it won't be a constant issue.

I'm very confused by one thing so far - what happened to grindstones near the dwarven blacksmith in White Orchard? I checked some maps of this area on the Internet and it seems like they're supposed to be there but I don't see them. Did they get removed or something?

ed: problem solved

macabresca fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Sep 10, 2023

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

In case anyone wants to mod this game on the Steam Deck: https://gist.github.com/v1ld/3cfc8d3b51f07d956e7fc4d8672ff77f

It's easy to set up for mods, adding them fully on the Deck itself in Desktop mode. Game runs very well.

This is for the Classic version, DX11. Haven't bothered with NG/DX12 since I want mods not available for NG - and NG isn't going to add much on the Deck.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Hey Witcher thread I'm gonna start the complete edition for the first time does anyone have a recommended mod list for a first time playthrough? I got some suggestions already but I would love some pointers!

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Lawman 0 posted:

Hey Witcher thread I'm gonna start the complete edition for the first time does anyone have a recommended mod list for a first time playthrough? I got some suggestions already but I would love some pointers!

Did my two playthroughs completely modless, it was fine :shrug:

Remember to not install any fast travel mods since they make it real easy to break your game

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Here's the list I've been using although you don't need everything. I would recommend the essential and bugfixes maybe. The essential made the game run a lot smoother for me. This is for next gen.

https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/6524

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Wiltsghost posted:

Here's the list I've been using although you don't need everything. I would recommend the essential and bugfixes maybe. The essential made the game run a lot smoother for me. This is for next gen.

https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/6524

Thank you!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Lawman 0 posted:

These will be to taste, but they're either QoL or remove systems I feel don't add much.

No fall damage
https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/7219

No weapon or armour degradation
https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/342

Cheap dyes everywhere (adds dlc armour re-colouring to the base game world at a reasonable non-endgame price)
https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1955

No inventory weight limit
https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/7159

Autoloot
https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/7198

Disable boat damage
https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/7225

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Geralt's legs are no longer made of glass in the Complete Edition, so the fall damage removal mod isn't really that necessary anymore for preventing leg explosions unless you insist on jumping off every mountain and tall building you find. Which, to be fair, can be pretty fun.