Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Yeah honestly saying p1p2 is a signal is just crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Even in a normal format like AER, P1P2 doesn't mean a whole lot. A P1P2 where there's still Release the Gremlins, Shock, and Scrapper Champion in the pack doesn't mean the person to your right won't end up in a red deck, it probably just means they first picked something like Untethered Express.

e: And if you end up fighting the person to your right for a color, it hurts you waaaaaay more than it hurts them. They cut you horribly for 2 packs and just lean on their second color in pack 2. They end up with a good deck and you end up hurting for playables in at least one of your main colors. Hell, if your P1P1 passes 3+ amazing cards in one color, it's probably a good idea to go into that color if it's open to your right, because you get all the best picks in it for 2 packs while screwing the decks of multiple people to your left if they're stubborn and can't read signals.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 20, 2017

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Jabor posted:

It's fun and relatively cheap, there are like four expensive cards in the deck and everything else is <$1.

You do have to be kind of careful buying into a deck this far into a format though, since there's never any guarantee it'll still be good after the next set comes out.
It's a self mill deck that isn't rotating into a set that is going to have cards castable out of the GY. Probably not risky. At worst it's probably just mediocre.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Angry Grimace posted:

It's a self mill deck that isn't rotating into a set that is going to have cards castable out of the GY. Probably not risky. At worst it's probably just mediocre.

The "risky" bit is that we might be going into a format that has actual graveyard interaction that just so happens to totally screw over the deck.

The deck is also really tight numbers-wise that it's hard to see what it could possibly pick up without destroying the synergies that make the deck work. A faithless-looting style card draw spell wouldn't go amiss, or maybe something that fills a similar role to k-return and fiery temper, but those are marginal upgrades at best.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

https://twitter.com/tirentu/status/843521268313985024

80% win rate for a 15 round event and you don't even cash.

Embarrassing.

And you know the person doing it without byes deserves it more too. Anyways, this got me thinking about what a loving raw deal GPs are these days. The rake is pretty insane. Let's look at this weekends Japanese GP:

Let's ignore income from side events and renting floorspace to dealers.

2719 entries, at ~60-70 USD, depending on proportion of early bird registrations. Let's round that to $175K

Subtract prizes for a <3000 person GP of $50K (lol)
Subtract appearance fees of $250 * ~20 platinum players for $5k
Subtract $500 in future equity for say, 10 people who qualify for a pt or advance their pro level for another $5k
Subtract Judge travel, accommodation and remuneration (in product?) Maybe average $750 times 25 people?
Video Coverage, probably a few K
Non judge contractors & administration. Probably a good 20-30k
Renting the venue. Hard to say. Probably 20-30k also for a weekend, depending on the city?
Website, misc, say 10k

Hard to see them not earning a good 20 on all this. Captive market and all.

sponszi
Dec 15, 2013

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

2719 entries, at ~60-70 USD, depending on proportion of early bird registrations. Let's round that to $175K

Subtract $500 in future equity for say, 10 people who qualify for a pt or advance their pro level for another $5k
Subtract Judge travel, accommodation and remuneration (in product?) Maybe average $750 times 25 people?
Renting the venue. Hard to say. Probably 20-30k also for a weekend, depending on the city?
Website, misc, say 10k

What are you basing these numbers on, out of curiosity?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

And you know the person doing it without byes deserves it more too. Anyways, this got me thinking about what a loving raw deal GPs are these days. The rake is pretty insane. Let's look at this weekends Japanese GP:

Website, misc, say 10k

On the one hand, I don't know if I think $20k is an unreasonable profit to make on a professionally run GP, but I could be wrong. On the other hand, it sounds like you're making up numbers because no judge is getting $750 for a GP. Maybe the head judges because they might get travel and/or hotel money. Basically cut that in half for the average L2/L3.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Would that income not be subject to taxation too?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
20k is dick all to make for that.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

BJPaskoff posted:

On the one hand, I don't know if I think $20k is an unreasonable profit to make on a professionally run GP, but I could be wrong. On the other hand, it sounds like you're making up numbers because no judge is getting $750 for a GP. Maybe the head judges because they might get travel and/or hotel money. Basically cut that in half for the average L2/L3.

Lol I thought I was being generous

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Toshimo posted:

But the event also doubles as advertising for Magic: The Gathering, the TO's shop, Ultrapro, etc? Advertising often isn't free unless you're a pissgoblin.

Edit to clarify: I'm guessing, I didn't watch jack.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Good pulls in 2 drafts today.

2 Cavern of Souls, a Misty Rainforest and a Damnation. Also I won the draft where I rare drafted a Misty and a Cavern.

I have had pretty unreasonable pulls this entire draft period.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Tubgoat posted:

But the event also doubles as advertising for Magic: The Gathering, the TO's shop, Ultrapro, etc? Advertising often isn't free unless you're a pissgoblin.

Edit to clarify: I'm guessing, I didn't watch jack.

I'm going to assume that Wizards isn't paying the TO for advertising.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Jabor posted:

The "risky" bit is that we might be going into a format that has actual graveyard interaction that just so happens to totally screw over the deck.

The deck is also really tight numbers-wise that it's hard to see what it could possibly pick up without destroying the synergies that make the deck work. A faithless-looting style card draw spell wouldn't go amiss, or maybe something that fills a similar role to k-return and fiery temper, but those are marginal upgrades at best.

haha, printing graveyard hate, good joke

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Yeah Maro's comment about seeing amonkhet before asking if they should have printed gy hate was a laugh. All I can say is that flashback 2.0 was the reason we didn't get gy hate for 4 blocks it was a lovely loving reason.

E ; if anything its a bigger reason to have printed it lmao

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Skyl3lazer posted:

Yeah Maro's comment about seeing amonkhet before asking if they should have printed gy hate was a laugh. All I can say is that flashback 2.0 was the reason we didn't get gy hate for 4 blocks it was a lovely loving reason.

E ; if anything its a bigger reason to have printed it lmao

But removing someone's powerful cast-from-graveyard effect from the graveyard gives newer players the feelbads!!!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Skyl3lazer posted:

I think the next set was too late to make any changes to and it will be the last set that turned out to last pet set of all the folks who had really dumb visions of what standard should be.

Alpha investments put out a good video today about the ups and downs of magic popularity based on lovely design decisions over the lifespan of magic.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Website, misc, say 10k

None of the prize money, appearance fees, or equity have anything whatsoever to do with entry fees. Entry fees are kept by the tournament organizer, prizes come from WotC. You also are literally just making up numbers as far as I can tell, so I'm not sure what the point of this exercise is.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Toshimo posted:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
The funny thing is that if WotC makes a horrible design decision, the ramifications of that don't come for a long while, and then it takes just as long if not longer to recognize and fix them. That whole process of idea to mistake to recognition to fix takes, what, two years?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

BJPaskoff posted:

The funny thing is that if WotC makes a horrible design decision, the ramifications of that don't come for a long while, and then it takes just as long if not longer to recognize and fix them. That whole process of idea to mistake to recognition to fix takes, what, two years?

They had less than a year to work on adjusting Amonkhet to the new-new rotation, right?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

You would think with how important testing is to their game that they would have that under control but lol

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Today's GP taught us the importance of tireless tracker, and how it wins games unchecked.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

DangerDongs posted:

Today's GP taught us the importance of tireless tracker, and how it wins games unchecked.

I always felt like Tracker was the biggest problem back in the Collected Company days. Everyone complained about the annoying 2 and 3 mana 2/3s and ignoring the 3 mana 3/2 that draws you 8 cards and hits like a truck.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Sickening posted:

Alpha investments put out a good video today about the ups and downs of magic popularity based on lovely design decisions over the lifespan of magic.

I just watched it and I think he does a good job of summarizing the history of MTG but I'd argue that his point of "WotC has always been able to pull up in time" might not hold as true today as it has in the past. The card game market today isn't like the early 2000s where YuGiOh and Pokemon tried to beat MTG at its own game. WotC is going to have to figure out what actually makes twitch streams entertaining, esports popular, or electronic card games appealing. Otherwise younger, more agile companies will do it for them.

e:

Alternatively, they might want to cut bait with the online stuff and distinguish MTG as a thing to go out and do. As far as that goes it does pretty well and it may never be able to compete with FTP games when decks cost hundreds of dollars at best.

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 20, 2017

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It wouldn't hurt for them to emulate the hearthstone model, but they should strive to make their game more about social gatherings, and playing the big tournaments in person.

Make a commercial with a bunch of dudes getting drunk and yelling at each other about the Stack.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

Entropic posted:

If you saw one great card for an archetype P1P2 and it quickly dried up after that, but you stayed in it, that's on you.

Nice extrapolation of "went to hell" into an in depth analysis of how I stuck on a none open line after one pick.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

YggdrasilTM posted:

Eh, I think people are confusing diversity and fun. I found the gamplay of Tower decks quite boring. This one at least had an interesting sideboard plan.

Eh, I've loved every version of Tower I have played since the card game out. UR, Grixis, Jeskai, Temur. I guess what I'm saying is, UR is fun, Tower is an interesting win-con for UR decks that can be allowed to do cool stuff like draw cards.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Will the duel deck being spoiled tomorrow include Amonkhet cards?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Finally drafted some modern masters and went all in on bant value town. Splashed for teleportal and easily went 3-0. My last 3 picks in the draft were all on-color guildgates.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

DangerDongs posted:

Make a commercial with a bunch of dudes getting drunk and yelling at each other about the Stack.

Why would they make a commercial about Judge conferences. Or my posts in the Ask-A-Judge group?
There was a recent discussion about a Summoner's Pact missed trigger that lasted for about 30 posts more than it should have, I should've been drinking :negative:

Rinkles posted:

Will the duel deck being spoiled tomorrow include Amonkhet cards?

They generally do IIRC. I don't think we'll see anything huge, but they generally clue us in to some mechanics and the like.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

went 4-0 going esper flicker/tokens, only value pulled was a foil might of old krosa and temporal mastery :( i reeeeeally wanna crack my 5 mm17 packs but i probably shouldn't.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
What's the best way to move high value cards for cash, should I just put them on eBay? I have an Expedition Ancient Tomb and a MM17 Foil Linvala, but I've had no luck on my Facebook groups. I'm in the UK, otherwise I'd try the Goon Store.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

What's the best way to move high value cards for cash, should I just put them on eBay? I have an Expedition Ancient Tomb and a MM17 Foil Linvala, but I've had no luck on my Facebook groups. I'm in the UK, otherwise I'd try the Goon Store.

The Manaleak UK trading group is absolutely trash right now. The difference between Buying and Selling prices are crazy because of people trying to use multiple sites and conversion rates to decide how valuable their lovely cardboard rectangles are.

Go for ebay or magiccardmarket, if you need money quick, magicmadhouse always have a decent buylist.

Samael fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Mar 20, 2017

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Samael posted:

Go for ebay or magiccardmarket, if you need money quick, magicmadhouse always have a decent buylist.

Apparently not always, it's temporarily closed, but I'll keep an eye out. I'm after some high value cards so can look at trading in. Not in a hurry, can maybe cash them in at GP Montreal.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

BizarroAzrael posted:

Apparently not always, it's temporarily closed, but I'll keep an eye out. I'm after some high value cards so can look at trading in. Not in a hurry, can maybe cash them in at GP Montreal.

You can make a post in the SA-Mart card selling/buying thread

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

My past experience of that was that it was very US centric.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

BizarroAzrael posted:

My past experience of that was that it was very US centric.

West Hemisphere Best Hemisphere

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Mind vs. Might deck lists: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/duel-decks-mind-vs-might-2017-03-20

Storm/Suspend vs.Bloodthirsty Warriors. No spoilers cards. New gorilla art for Guttural Response.

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

GoutPatrol posted:

Mind vs. Might deck lists: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/duel-decks-mind-vs-might-2017-03-20

Storm/Suspend vs.Bloodthirsty Warriors. No spoilers cards. New gorilla art for Guttural Response.

I knew when I saw the hotly sought after Lovisa Coldeyes was a marquee card that nothing of value would be in these decks. They look interesting to play I guess, but there isn't much in them.

• Locked thread