Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I wish we were getting all these cheap 1080 and 1080ti's the cheapest new 1080 i can find is £450, the cheapest 1080ti is £600 and it's a gigabyte blower card.

With those prices I might as well spend a bit more and get a brand new gen card anyway :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Cryptocalypse continues, 8gb 580s covered in strawberry juice showing up for under $150 on ebay.

How bad can they fuckup a 580 with mining bios? Is it a matter of "assume you'll need to replace the fans immediately" or "it's probably mostly shot"? I'm really leaning towards AMD because I don't game enough to pay the nVidia premium but $150-$175 is reasonable upgrade from a 270x.

E: EVGA 1070s are still going for 250-275 used, so $100 there + I'd have to pay gsync tax as well and since I'm doing PCI-passthrough I'd have to play games to hide that from nVidia's drivers. I'd pay the card for it's performance in a heartbeat if they didn't have that other poo poo in their ecosystem to deal with.

Harik fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 7, 2018

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Mining BIOS are mostly used to (a) tighten memory timings, which doesn't hurt the memory chip any more than any other power-on hours, and (b) burn in a permanent undervolt/underclock, which actually reduces wear on the card.

The fans have a lot of power-on hours but they're replaceable, either just the fans or with a whole new aftermarket cooler like the Raijintek Morpheus II or Arctic Accelero TwinTurbo.

A 580 for $150 is a great deal, seeing as 1060s haven't really dropped much below $200 yet.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

overclocked overvolted mining bios is a meme that lasted all of 2 months with the 6970 generation

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I'd buy those cards with no qualms whatsoever, you can reflash the bios with a stock one no problem and the price / performance ratio is crazy. You can just run the fans until they die and order new ones from China or simply use 92/120mm fans on the card

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Paul MaudDib posted:

Mining BIOS are mostly used to (a) tighten memory timings, which doesn't hurt the memory chip any more than any other power-on hours, and (b) burn in a permanent undervolt/underclock, which actually reduces wear on the card.

The fans have a lot of power-on hours but they're replaceable, either just the fans or with a whole new aftermarket cooler like the Raijintek Morpheus II or Arctic Accelero TwinTurbo.

A 580 for $150 is a great deal, seeing as 1060s haven't really dropped much below $200 yet.
Who's the least-worst AMD partner since EVGA doesn't manufacture AMD cards? There's plenty of options showing up on ebay now.

Also I felt like I was repeating myself so I checked the thread history. I've been waiting on the crypto price crash for at least 14 months now, posted expecting it to happen mid-july 2017

E: Thanks all three who responded, I thought you could actually gently caress up AMD cards mining.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

the only real way a mining card could be hosed up (since coolers are replacable) is if the bios is somehow hardlocked to a voltage too low for sustained use

most miners aren't exactly desperate enough to do that nor is that ever suggested in butter forums

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
You can reset the bios by shorting pins :monocle:

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Amazon, and GN has said that they have a report coming in a bit, is also (ab)using their market position to prevent board partners from raising their MSRP so that they don't go upside-down on cards because of the tariffs killing their profit margins entirely: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9xO3NmReW8&t=221s

Would not be surprised if this has anything to do with that.

hmmm this sounds awfully familiar

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Amazon, and GN has said that they have a report coming in a bit, is also (ab)using their market position to prevent board partners from raising their MSRP so that they don't go upside-down on cards because of the tariffs killing their profit margins entirely: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9xO3NmReW8&t=221s

That doesn't seem feasible as the video notes the margins for GPU and other electronic components are well under 10% let alone 25%. The way around it as Steve says is to put the old listings down and put new listings up at the higher price.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

track day bro! posted:

I wish we were getting all these cheap 1080 and 1080ti's the cheapest new 1080 i can find is £450, the cheapest 1080ti is £600 and it's a gigabyte blower card.

With those prices I might as well spend a bit more and get a brand new gen card anyway :shrug:

Just looking at PCP and fucks sake. if by some chance I could get some fool(s) to give me $200 a pop for my 970s (CAD$), I'd still be looking at 600 out of pocket for a 1080ti. I mean yeah I'm sure I would be good for a while at 1440 but still. I'm so glad I'm winning the lottery tonight

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Ohh sweet preorders for 2080ti ftw are up

$1349 holy gently caress

Guess it's a good way to clear 1000 series inventory

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Don Lapre posted:

Ohh sweet preorders for 2080ti ftw are up

$1349 holy gently caress

Guess it's a good way to clear 1000 series inventory

Also a way for them to justify sky-high pricing for Step Ups.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Whelp I hope my R7 1700 and GTX 1080 will continue performing well until 2020.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

NewFatMike posted:

Whelp I hope my R7 1700 and GTX 1080 will continue performing well until 2020.

:hfive: same build buddy, get ready for a drop in zen2

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
I'm hoping someone can help. I have an really old i5 760. I'm looking to convert it into a linux Plex box. What is the cheapest gpu with hevc encoding and decoding? I won't be gaming on it at all.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

lostleaf posted:

I'm hoping someone can help. I have an really old i5 760. I'm looking to convert it into a linux Plex box. What is the cheapest gpu with hevc encoding and decoding? I won't be gaming on it at all.

I would probably throw a GT 1030 in there :shrug:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Statutory Ape posted:

I would probably throw a GT 1030 in there :shrug:

yeah, 1030 is probably perfect. supports all the latest fancy encode/decode stuff, and there are passive cooled ones out there.

Newegg has this passive EVGA refurb for $76 after discount code.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487395&ignorebbr=1

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
EVGA has this in b stock for $70: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=02G-P4-6332-RX

I'm sure you could also maybe find something used for alot cheaper on a local marketplace or on ebay or something.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
1030 doesn't have NVENC, you'll want a 1050 for encoding.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I'm sure you could also maybe find something used for alot cheaper on a local marketplace or on ebay or something.

If you intend to do encoding, going for a Pascal card is the best choice, quality has improved significantly with each generation.

Also, older cards probably can't do H265/HEVC encoding.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 9, 2018

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
What about the Pascal Quadro P400? I use 3 of them at work to run a video wall of nine 1080p TVs and they are pretty good.

https://www.amazon.com/PNY-NVIDIA-Quadro-Professional-Graphics/dp/B06X9PW5DZ

Used on Amazon/eBay they are around $100, which I think might make them the cheapest card to support NVENC

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Sep 9, 2018

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Quadros have no real advantage in NVENC over a 1050. If you want to do 3+ streams at once you need a Quadro P2000 or better.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

Quadros have no real advantage in NVENC over a 1050. If you want to do 3+ streams at once you need a Quadro P2000 or better.

Right, but if you don't need 3+ streams, they seem like the cheaper option than a 1050? At least according to the table you showed they're equal in capability.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Zero VGS posted:

Right, but if you don't need 3+ streams, they seem like the cheaper option than a 1050? At least according to the table you showed they're equal in capability.

If it's significantly cheaper then go for it, but looking on eBay they're both about $100-110, and the 1050 is significantly faster as a graphics card (3x the cores) so it'll be more useful if you ever want to swap it into another rig/etc. Actually I'd be tempted to say wait for the next EVGA weekly sale and just get a B-stock 1050 Ti for $120 (they run that deal regularly), because if you're going to spend $110 on a 1050 you might as well just suck it up and pay the extra $10 for the faster model with better resale value/etc.

But core count has no effect on NVENC speed/quality/etc so if $10 is a big deal then just go with whatever's cheap.

edit: actually come to think of it the 1050 Ti is the cheapest model with 3+ GB of VRAM, which is necessary for 4K Netflix (and potentially other Netflix DRM down the road), so I'd say go with that, it'll be more useful as a HTPC card down the road and probably have a little better resale value even if you don't do 4K.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Sep 9, 2018

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Awesome, thanks for the advice guys. Guess I'll be searching for 1050 or 1050ti cards. I saw conflicting information whether 1030 supported encoding and its good to get confirmation that it doesn't support encoding.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
A 1060 3 GB is another option as well. That takes you up to ~$150 used but they are like 60% faster than a 1050 Ti, and you're still at 3 GB so you can do Netflix's latest DRM too. Maybe not worth another $30 over a 1050 Ti though, if all this will ever do is encode.

Just stay away from AMD cards, their version of NVENC is very bad. QuickSync is better but still not as good as NVENC. Raven ridge does have an improved media core although I haven't seen this test repeated - and obviously this is H264 not H265/HEVC.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Sep 9, 2018

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

What do folks reckon on something like this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gigabyte...UYAAOSwa9Fbk-1k

Doesn't have much information to go on regarding the usage of the card, but £260 seems like a decent enough price as its in the region of a new 1060 6GB.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
They seem to sell a bunch of stuff every 6 months, it's a kind of weird pattern that makes it hard to check if their password was guessed or they're just keeping up their weird pattern.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Lord Ludikrous posted:

What do folks reckon on something like this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gigabyte...UYAAOSwa9Fbk-1k

Doesn't have much information to go on regarding the usage of the card, but £260 seems like a decent enough price as its in the region of a new 1060 6GB.
The rear grill is pretty drat miserable

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
You'd think they'd have learned something from watching the various Radeon grill debacles over the years, but apparently not.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Well to be fair most of the heat gets exhausted inside the case. This is why blowers are cool.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

ufarn posted:

The rear grill is pretty drat miserable

Hadn’t even noticed that, my GTX 760 is also a Gigabyte Windforce and it has an enormous amount of rear ventilation.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The way the fins run on that card means the grill barely matters.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Any pro flippers who can give me an idea what a good used price for a Pascal GTX is relative to (current) MSRP? Is 70% a good get?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

ufarn posted:

Any pro flippers who can give me an idea what a good used price for a Pascal GTX is relative to (current) MSRP? Is 70% a good get?

Where are you planning on selling it? Search ebay for the card or model, and check the "sold items" filter to get a sense of what price people are actually buying used cards for. I've found I can generally tack ~20% on to the ebay price if I'm selling on craigslist (which is also nice for avoiding ebay fees), but that might not hold in the contiguous states or other countries.

Trying to tie used prices to MSRP in the current market is pretty futile .

Stickman fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 9, 2018

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Stickman posted:

Where are you planning on selling it? Search ebay for the card or model, and check the "sold items" filter to get a sense of what price people are actually buying used cards for. I've found I can generally tack ~20% on to the ebay price if I'm selling on craigslist (which is also nice for avoiding ebay fees), but that might not hold in the contiguous states or other countries.

Trying to tie used prices to MSRP in the current market is pretty futile .
Other way around: I'm just trying to buy one. :)

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

ufarn posted:

Other way around: I'm just trying to buy one. :)

In that case, check ebay prices for a sense of whether the deal is good, but you'll also want to consider

- Do you trust the seller/platform? Can you easily get your money back if the card is poo poo? Ebay is pretty good for this, craigslist is less good.

- Is it a (non-refurbished) EVGA, MSI, or Gigabyte card? Those companies offer transferable 3-year warranties based on manufacture ship date, and Pascal cards will likely have 2+ years of warranty remaining. Asus reportedly honors warranties on second-hand purchased, though their TOS states that they don't.

- Are the savings worth the added hassle of buying used?

- Can you wait until after the 20X0 release in a few weeks? Depending on the card your looking at, it's possible that Pascal prices will drop further after the release of the next generation.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

ufarn posted:

In the USA I see 1070 go between $250-$280, 1070ti between $315-$340, 1080 between $350-$380 and 1080 ti are usually between $500 and $550. The blower cards are usually cheaper than dual and triple fan versions. EVGA, MSI and Gigabyte are a decent bet since they have transferable warranties.

Keep in mind I’ve seen new 1070 ti for $380-$400 used and 1080 from $420-$440 if you’re weary of used.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm seeing 1080tis for like 600 CAD on ebay. How much of a death sentence is it if its been mined? Guidelines above are helpful. But I'm getting antsy here and thinking about ordering something. If it was mined, theres no way for them to tell that for it to void the warranty or anything is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

codo27 posted:

I'm seeing 1080tis for like 600 CAD on ebay. How much of a death sentence is it if its been mined? Guidelines above are helpful. But I'm getting antsy here and thinking about ordering something. If it was mined, theres no way for them to tell that for it to void the warranty or anything is it?

No, there is no way for the manufacturer to tell with 10 series Geforce cards since you can't use modded firmware on them. Also IIRC 1080 tis weren't really used for mining much because they are inefficient, 1060s & 1070s were the big mining cards.

EDIT: The only part of the card that would see overuse from mining are the fans and those are replaceable.

AVeryLargeRadish fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Sep 10, 2018