Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Cowslips Warren posted:

House of the Dragon: why does corlys say gently caress all about his grandsons clearly not being his grandsons? This is loving westeros, lords need heirs, he can't have been so "ah well" when it came to the idea of his son ruling the kingdom only for his name, legacy, and blood to vanish within a generation.

He has granddaughters but we see the entire issue with women getting poo poo.

For a second, I thought you were talking about the How To Train Your Dragon TV show, and I'm mildly disappointed to realize the truth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Leave posted:

For a second, I thought you were talking about the How To Train Your Dragon TV show, and I'm mildly disappointed to realize the truth

Looking at my son's toys, apparently the main characters of How to Train... marry. I imagine that involved some drama, or was followed by some drama.

On a long enough timeline, everything turns to drama. House of the Drama.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

The Black Stones posted:

Because officially the history books would claim that all those descendants are his. He and anyone else with half a brain realize what’s going on, but the whole point is that his “legacy” would be secured as he’d be known to be the father of a king and his grandsons are officially recognized as being from his son.

The whole point is that people make stupid decisions for power and their name.

Allegedly the current british family is descended from a illegitimate bastard, which is why they don't allow any sort of DNA or medical testing on royal or noble corpses that are stored in royal crypts. It's reveal they have no claim to the throne, though I doubt it matters at this point. Everyone who cares considers them legit. I wish I remembered more of this, but I only heard it in passing about one of the many civil wars and usurpers.

Pennyworth season / series finale spoilers. There's no loving reason Sandra should marry Alfred. She has drat good reasons not to, which she outlined very clearly and Alfred accepted. Just because some dumbass got you preggos and made a ambiguous speech about how he's changed [no he hasn't] and he'll care more about her than his job doesn't mean you should marry him!!

Also public speeches / marriage proposals are stupid. Especially when she said she's not marrying in the first place.

Also I wonder if the writers knew the show was being cancelled, hence the ending of London getting the poo poo bombed out of it. Filling in the post series blanks of 'oh well london is trashed, I guess Pennyworth should move to america disguised as a butler for the Wayne family. What a tidy bow!'

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

The Black Stones posted:

Because officially the history books would claim that all those descendants are his. He and anyone else with half a brain realize what’s going on, but the whole point is that his “legacy” would be secured as he’d be known to be the father of a king and his grandsons are officially recognized as being from his son.

The whole point is that people make stupid decisions for power and their name.

That's all very true. And if the same similar storyline follows from the books, he produces two sons that he claims are his sons bastard children, but only after his wife is dead so she wouldn't be suspicious that these boys look a lot like him and not their super gay son who died about the time these boys would have been born.

It's just hilarious because so many people online have only watched the show and haven't read the book and are nsisting that team black is the righteous team, and they deserve everything great and the other team is pure evil. And I want to ask them if we're actually watching the same stuff because the whole point of game of thrones and the spin-off and probably all future spin-offs is that pretty much everything is morally gray.

Aegon stole the throne! Well technically it was stolen from rhanys first and then again but yolo

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Roblo posted:

Re: the new Mission Impossible. It was fun nonsense, on the whole, great stunts etc as expected.

But there was a conversation at the start between a bunch of heads of US spy agencies and the Sec of Defence or whatever. And the conversation is painfully ..fake. Like, they each say a line of a sentence then someone else says the next one immediately. That's now how people talk! It was just so...artificial.

My favourite thing like this that's everywhere is when you can see that the script is written so that actors cut each other off in their lines, but they do it like they are taking turns. There's a little pause before someone "cuts in".

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

value-brand cereal posted:

Allegedly the current british family is descended from a illegitimate bastard, which is why they don't allow any sort of DNA or medical testing on royal or noble corpses that are stored in royal crypts. It's reveal they have no claim to the throne, though I doubt it matters at this point. Everyone who cares considers them legit. I wish I remembered more of this, but I only heard it in passing about one of the many civil wars and usurpers.

We've not had that many civil wars. They identified Richard III's remains using DNA testing. Surely the more sensible thing would be to not allow DNA testing on the current royals.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The current royals are Hanoverian ususpers against the True Kings of House Stuart. Britain is under ongoing Dutch occupation since the so- called Glorious Revolution of 1688.

All hail the king in Bavaria.

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009
RoboCop 2
Cain's digital face render thing that appears on his little screen sometimes occasionally distorts all weird and looks like those skibidi toilet gmod things.

I'm also torn on whether the new paint job they gave Murphy looks cool or terrible.
Might be both, I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Gromit posted:

My favourite thing like this that's everywhere is when you can see that the script is written so that actors cut each other off in their lines, but they do it like they are taking turns. There's a little pause before someone "cuts in".

It's such an easy mistake to avoid but somehow keeps getting left in stuff instead of being edited out or re-shot. Baffling, every time.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Snipers standing right up next to open windows and sticking their gun barrel out the window to aim at their targets.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Snipers standing right up next to open windows and sticking their gun barrel out the window to aim at their targets.

With a laser-dot.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In “Shadow in the Cloud”, a mostly historically accurate retelling of a plane ambushed by three Japanese Planes during WW2, which we won, Chloe Grace Moretz’s accent is distractingly bad

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Roblo posted:

But there was a conversation at the start between a bunch of heads of US spy agencies and the Sec of Defence or whatever. And the conversation is painfully ..fake. Like, they each say a line of a sentence then someone else says the next one immediately. That's now how people talk! It was just so...artificial.
That scene only exists to show off a bunch of cameos but I didn't mind because I am always happy to see Rob Delaney :v:

The film overall was good but couldn't hold a candle to the 6th one.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

oldpainless posted:

In “Shadow in the Cloud”, a mostly historically accurate retelling of a plane ambushed by three Japanese Planes during WW2, which we won, Chloe Grace Moretz’s accent is distractingly bad

Is this mostly accurate film the one that has Chloe fall out of an aircraft into an explosion which propells her back up into the plane she just fell out of? Because that's some loving looney tunes bullshit right there.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Phanatic posted:

I feel like that’s gotten better in recent movies. In The Killer, Fassbender’s rifle was on a platform well into the building he was in.

The movie was wholly disappointing but at least that part was done well.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Torquemada posted:

Is this mostly accurate film the one that has Chloe fall out of an aircraft into an explosion which propells her back up into the plane she just fell out of? Because that's some loving looney tunes bullshit right there.
mostly accurate

Spikey Willow
Feb 26, 2008

It annoys me in sci-fi where they have all this advanced future technology but holograms are really glitchy and break up, to show that they're not really in the room (and distortion due to being sent through space).

I feel like if you can build a starship, and teleport humans thousands of miles, you can probably fix your space modems to have a rock solid connection so your hologram calls don't suffer packet loss. At the very least, AI should be able to fill in any blanks.

I think in the 70s-90s, just the idea of holograms was cool and advanced enough not to look out of place. With the advances in technology it looks so ancient compared to some of their other tech, which still looks futuristic even today.

I realise this is all irrational 😅

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
One thing I liked in the live action Cowboy Beebop was that holograms were so real, you couldn't tell they were holograms, except for the first and last moment of the transmission when they were a little wonky.

Or, if you really need to have slightly lovely holograms, make it a stylistic choice. In one of the Clone Wars episodes, they come across some weird alien tech and start using it to communicate. It's almost the same as a hologram, but everything is made of tiny cubes that spring up out of a table.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 15:46 on Dec 8, 2023

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Torquemada posted:

This has historical basis, it's extremely similar to something that happened to one Pfc. Wilefred Eubanks Coyote.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Torquemada posted:

WHAT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtfjyC4sahE&t=67s

LOL

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Cowslips Warren posted:

House of the Dragon: why does corlys say gently caress all about his grandsons clearly not being his grandsons? This is loving westeros, lords need heirs, he can't have been so "ah well" when it came to the idea of his son ruling the kingdom only for his name, legacy, and blood to vanish within a generation.

He has granddaughters but we see the entire issue with women getting poo poo.
He says it at one point: he doesn't give a gently caress about the bloodline, he gives a lot of fucks about the name and legacy. He's very much of the "they were raised as and by Velaryons, so they are Velaryons". He also seems to think that if he acts like he fully believes they are his heirs everyone else will as well.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

:lol: I read that description and thought "it can't be that bad, right? it must be something like she got sucked out a door and something exploded right outside to knock her back in."

:lol:

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

All I get from that is that there was a guy who could have just helped her up, and it would probably have saved his life if he did.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
It's a miracle that movie came out at all; it was originally written by Max Landis and almost got torpedoed by his career exploding due, to you know, the crimes.

Though my god, the shade from the writer assigned to salvage it:

quote:

While Roseanne Liang was reworking the script, she noticed that it was written in an incorrect font size. After she corrected it, the script was 60 pages long, which equal 60 minutes of running time. While she didn't want to change anything about the plot structure, she decided to added extra dialogues and longer action sequences to give the film a more adequate length. In the end, the script was 86 pages long.
This lazy mfer tried to doublespace fonthack an unfinished screenplay as if it were a college essay.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Squidster posted:

This lazy mfer tried to doublespace fonthack an unfinished screenplay as if it were a college essay.

While he's an awful person, that's legit hilarious.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Squidster posted:

Hell, I was that guy once. Only my dad never dropped a helicopter on any kids, and women in bars don't cover their drinks when they see me.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Torquemada posted:

Yeah here's a clip from the documentary it's based on

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Squidster posted:

... the crimes.
I guess I missed this story. I can google it, but I'd prefer the goon-lore version.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It isn't really goon lore, he just sexually assaulted many women for years and got away with it because he and his dad both had a bunch of clout.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
oh. gross. never mind.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
How his dad had any clout at all after child murder is beyond me.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Spikey Willow posted:

It annoys me in sci-fi where they have all this advanced future technology but holograms are really glitchy and break up, to show that they're not really in the room (and distortion due to being sent through space).

If they wanted it to be realistic, they could have the hologram just stop periodically while a little wheel spins and a message pops up saying "Trouble with your connection? Click here to find out why"

Speaking of, I just watched Total Recall again for the billionth time (still owns) and one thing that bothered me a tiny bit was Cohagen on Mars messaging with Michael Ironside on Earth in real time. Um excuse me, there's at least a 3 minute light speed lag, Verhoeven. You dumb rear end.

Fil5000 posted:

How his dad had any clout at all after child murder is beyond me.

Hollywood is gross and run by complete sociopaths.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Further proof that it's all in Quaid's head. Check and mate, nerd.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Shadow in the Cloud is a great movie and it's wonderfully dumb the whole time.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I've had Shadow in the Cloud on my someday-soon-sure list for ages, but knowing this is it's tone has given my interest in it a superchargerocket jump.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Roblo posted:

Apparently they filmed most of the movie before they even decided what the mcguffin actually was, so this talky exposition scene was added late in production. And yeah it does feel awkward. I enjoyed the movie but it was definitely a step down from Fallout.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I dunno about that, the name "the entity" combined with what they talk about it being capable of implies a lot about what the mcguffin actually is. Seems more likely they knew from the start they were just copying Person of Interest :v:

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

AcidCat posted:

Apparently they filmed most of the movie before they even decided what the mcguffin actually was

I've seen this mentioned a couple of times, where is this coming from? A quick google didn't give me anything

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

I believe I first heard it in this video. I think there's a snippet of the director saying as much in there somewhere.

https://youtu.be/6veqld_vxII?si=84JH5gtqHgpqTkkf

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
I'll have to check that out. It was a frustrating movie in a lot of ways. I mean they killed off Ilsa, played by one of the best actresses working today, to replace her with some rear end in a top hat I've never seen before? Why? It wasn't even a good death. She better peel off a mask in part two and be all like surprise motherfuckers or I'm gonna have to speak with the manager about this outrage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Oh I see, the key rather than the entity - yeah, that was completely fuckin stupid as a mcguffin lol