Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah, but wasn't it announced before they announced the PW intro decks? Seems like it's not a big stretch to imagine that one part of WotC wasn't consulting the other but hey I hope I'm wrong so whatever

The Planeswalker decks are the replacement for theme/intro decks, not the duel decks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The point is, continuing to make planeswalker-fronted Duel Decks alongside the actual intro-level Planeswalker Decks would be a bit weird.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I mean, you'll find out in a week. Announcement Day for the Fall/Winter blocks and suppelemental stuff is next Monday.

Crunk Magnet
Feb 19, 2004
Poop Soup
Do any of you guys play semi-casual Commander on MTGO? I'd love to enjoy a free for all game going where someone isn't trying to orb lock on turn 3 or running Blood Moon, etc.

It seems like it is 1 or 2 seriously competitive decks versus a werewolf tribal and some poor soul who never gets anything done except dropping 4 basic lands.

My name on MTGO and TappedOut.net is Crunkmagnet, and even if we don't play I'd like to see some new players. Message me if you're on, chances are I will be.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BRsc4--gED7/

:allears: What...is this strange feeling I am experiencing? Could it be...joy? Could it be true that Magic's flavor was, at some point, actually about having fun and not "Planeswalkers are superheroes you guys, we're serious!"?

Yes, yes it is true. Seriously though, that is a FAQ!

Edit: Actually, this might be way too positive for this thread, so here's another link from this same instagram, with a stupid discussion on "real Magic cards" https://www.instagram.com/p/BRdCq4Ig269/

[Insert random dumb argument about proxies here, then proceed as necessary]

Jenx fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 20, 2017

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Jenx posted:

:allears: What...is this strange feeling I am experiencing? Could it be...joy? Could it be true that Magic's flavor was, at some point, actually about having fun and not "Planeswalkers are superheroes you guys, we're serious!"?

They still occasionally have fun in oracle rulings and such: http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=402093

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Jenx posted:

Edit: Actually, this might be way too positive for this thread, so here's another link from this same instagram, with a stupid discussion on "real Magic cards" https://www.instagram.com/p/BRdCq4Ig269/

[Insert random dumb argument about proxies here, then proceed as necessary]

It also reminds me of the old "our condolences to anyone who has been killed by an Ornithopter" line in the back of the rulebooks. And makes me miss tiny rulebooks.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I think I still have some of the Ice Age and Revised ones that came in Starter Decks somewhere. Complete with the pages-long explanation of Banding and cryptic attempts to clarify what an Interrupt really is.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Entropic posted:

They still occasionally have fun in oracle rulings and such: http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=402093

Oh yeah, I saw that when the set was released and it's probably the best thing to have come out of the BFZ block. The "We know." at the end is what makes it great.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Jenx posted:

Oh yeah, I saw that when the set was released and it's probably the best thing to have come out of the BFZ block. The "We know." at the end is what makes it great.

I look forward to when that coliqualism dies and five years later people read that and don't understand what it means anymore.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I know I already tainted the answers by stating a number above, but I'm just curious - what did everyone think judges made from judging a GP? Say a level 2 floor judge just for argument's sake.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
So where is a good place to go to post my deck to try and get some useful reviews and constructive criticism? It would be nice if they give you some sort of exportable link to use on forums like BBcode or whatever.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Subways Jared posted:

So where is a good place to go to post my deck to try and get some useful reviews and constructive criticism? It would be nice if they give you some sort of exportable link to use on forums like BBcode or whatever.

I think deckstats does bbcode exports

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

BJPaskoff posted:

I know I already tainted the answers by stating a number above, but I'm just curious - what did everyone think judges made from judging a GP? Say a level 2 floor judge just for argument's sake.

I would have guessed "no money, but have a couple of free booster boxes" until you get up to, like, HJ territory.

It seems in line with the expectation people seem to have of judges doing everything for the love of the game.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!

gwrtheyrn posted:

Yeah I've been using deckstats, but unfortunately they don't have a really active deck review forum. But I can use their BBcode export to use other places at least.
I'm looking for a site/forums that does a lot with deck review.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

gwrtheyrn posted:

It does yeah, and you can make an account and save your decks. If you look in the brewhaus a lot of folks use it and you can follow the links.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Jabor posted:

I would have guessed "no money, but have a couple of free booster boxes" until you get up to, like, HJ territory.

It seems in line with the expectation people seem to have of judges doing everything for the love of the game.

This was also my assumption, although I've heard that they actually do get paid something at a GP.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Fifth-hand information but a local judge mentioned they HAVE to pay judges at GP now when we were talking about GP fees. Any judges here this?
Edit: CFB is paying 225 a day for Vegas
All Team Members will receive a Grand Prix: Las Vegas JUDGE playmat for each Grand Prix as well as JUDGE version of the Grand Prix: Las Vegas Ancestral Recall playmat in addition to the following:

Judge Team: $225 per day
Operations Team: $225 per day
Lead Position: $325 per day
You may opt to receive all or a portion of your compensation in ChannelFireball Store credit at a rate of 130%. For example, instead of receiving $100 cash, you can receive $130 in store credit. (All CFB credit is calculated in USD$, Euro compensation would be converted.) In order to receive this credit you must inform the judge manager two weeks prior to the start of the event that you wish to use this option.
Super edit: The GP Montreal comp is awful and mostly product. Wonder if its a US labor thing?

Snacksmaniac fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 21, 2017

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Well I can think of at least one Legacy player that should be banned...

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

BJPaskoff posted:

Political cartoon-level gigantic sacks of money while sad >80% win-rate players have their pockets turned inside-out.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I read that judges at gp vegas are getting 25% less than previous years? Seems like a bad place to offer less considering the price to travel there that weekend.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Subways Jared posted:

Yeah I've been using deckstats, but unfortunately they don't have a really active deck review forum. But I can use their BBcode export to use other places at least.

If you wanna post about Standard decks you can do so here or in the Brewhaus Thread.

Pauper decks go in the Pauper Thread.

Modern/Legacy/Vintage go in the Eternal Thread.

Commander goes in the Commander Thread.

Yeah it's kinda spread out but it works. Just export your Deckstats input as BBCode and paste it into a post.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Hellsau posted:

I've been saying Deathrite could easily go for a long time, especially if they take something out of Miracles. You're just making a mistake if you don't play one of those two things.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Sickening posted:

I read that judges at gp vegas are getting 25% less than previous years? Seems like a bad place to offer less considering the price to travel there that weekend.

Vegas is usually one of the cheapest destinations. What the hell happened to this country ?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Subways Jared posted:

the two biggest sites are mtgsalvation and reddit. mtgsalvation has a lot of smart people but if you're posting a brew and not an established decklist you might not get a lot of feedback. reddit has more traffic but everyone there is dumb as bricks

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Jabor posted:

I think I'd rather have the boxes than the handjob.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

little munchkin posted:

the two biggest sites are mtgsalvation and reddit. mtgsalvation has a lot of smart people but if you're posting a brew and not an established decklist you might not get a lot of feedback. reddit has more traffic but everyone there is dumb as bricks

mtgsalvation is no gem either

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

ThePeavstenator posted:

Something Awful is no gem either

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

MTGS is good for specific deck discussion, they just tend have a lot of posters with terrible opinions on literally everything else, like Reddit does.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Jabor posted:

That's how it was when I started ten years ago, with one change: if you were traveling, the TO would have you stay with at least one other judge in a room in a hotel block they rented. If not, you got more boxes. And the comp for my first GP, Montreal, was glorious. Three (maybe four?) foreign boxes of Time Spiral block and a packet of judge foils that I sold for $325 US to the vendors, along with the free hotel room for two nights and food vouchers for the crappy convention center food.

Snacksmaniac posted:

Super edit: The GP Montreal comp is awful and mostly product. Wonder if its a US labor thing?

Ten years later, if I was an L1 as I was back then I'd get $50 and a box per day. As a L2 I'd get $275 and a box of English Amonkhet per day. That's not mostly product. It's about equal, except there's no room sponsorship - though there is a discount on rooms because they have a block. No mention of food vouchers, though I think that's standard these days. Judge foils at GPs were cool, but they were a pain to sell and everyone got different prices depending on different factors: what dealers they might be friendly with, how fast they got there (people who picked up their foils earlier in the day might get a better price from the dealers because they were blinded by the newly released ones right away and could move them quicker with more players still in the venue), etc. You also get extra poo poo if you show up on Thursday and Friday for setup and side events respectively, which is how all the "career judges" who go to one or two GPs a month every month justify doing it.

Once CFB takes over, judge comp will be standardized to a degree.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Snacksmaniac posted:

Vegas is usually one of the cheapest destinations. What the hell happened to this country ?

There will be three hundred thousand additional visitors for an unrelated event at the same time as GP Vegas 2017, so that puts a bit of pressure on accomadation.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Hellsau posted:

The best part is when someone calls him out in the comments and Jeffucking Hoogland steps in to defend Huang.

That said the occasional legacy content is welcome and he writes decent articles.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

A dude at my LGS' MM17 draft jumped up and did a literal lap around the store when he opened a foil Snapcaster Mage today.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Gurzigost and Hunting Kavu, separated at birth?

(Gurzigost was the first single I bought. I think I was ripped off).

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Snacksmaniac posted:

pretend I posted an image of trump looking smug

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Hellsau posted:

There will be three hundred thousand additional visitors for an unrelated event at the same time as GP Vegas 2017, so that puts a bit of pressure on accomadation.

I'm not too worried about the market with the most hotel rooms of anywhere.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

GeneX posted:

pretend I posted an image of trump looking smug

So... a picture of Trump?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Pontius Pilate posted:

The best part is when someone calls him out in the comments and Jeffucking Hoogland steps in to defend Huang.

That said the occasional legacy content is welcome and he writes decent articles.

"Easy for you to say when you aren't good enough to have even been in that position in the first place :smug:"

gently caress that guy, gently caress him to hell. If you're so good and dedicate all of your time to MTG then why have you not been able to put up results on the pro tour? Oh wait it's because it's "bad EV" which is definitely not the sourest of grapes coming from you.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

ThePeavstenator posted:

"Easy for you to say when you aren't good enough to have even been in that position in the first place :smug:"

gently caress that guy, gently caress him to hell. If you're so good and dedicate all of your time to MTG then why have you not been able to put up results on the pro tour? Oh wait it's because it's "bad EV" which is definitely not the sourest of grapes coming from you.

I could be wrong but I'm not sure that the Hoog has even won anything on the SCG tour.

I know he has top 8's but I don't think he's ever won an Open or an Invi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

He simply won't stoop to netdecking like all those other filthy grinders and his moral compass guides him to the land of shitlords instead.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 21, 2017

• Locked thread