Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Harminoff posted:

Anyone else catch atm not that kind of atm? It stars Josh Peck and is written by the guy that wrote Buried. Same one place setup but with three people instead of one and thit time stuck at an atm booth with a killer standing outside the door.

Pretty good acting and script, and enjoyed it throughout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geffQdBbKzI&ob=av3e

They pretty much stole the killer from the first Urban Legend movie. Or am I the only one to remember that?

Movie still looks good, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Toriori posted:

Rewatching 'House of 1000 Corpses' tonight. Rob Zombies movies never fail to make me cringe. They aren't perfect but Corpses and Devils Rejects just work so well. I love reading interviews too with Rob Zombie. I read in a magazine when he made Halloween, he talked about how he wanted the violence to be gritty, and he hated when people would ask what kind of crazy violence he was going to put in the movie- he wanted to make the violence on screen uncomfortable. He talked about how in a street fight, people don't watch two people fight, someone picks up a garbage can and hits one of the guys over the back with it, people sensationalize violence and he wanted to show that's it's horrible.

Here it is:http://culture.com/articles/5192/halloween-rob-zombie-interview.phtml

The key to uncomfortable, gritty, realistic violence is it having a point. So way to gently caress that up every time, Robbo.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Harminoff posted:

Anyone else catch atm not that kind of atm? It stars Josh Peck and is written by the guy that wrote Buried. Same one place setup but with three people instead of one and thit time stuck at an atm booth with a killer standing outside the door.

Pretty good acting and script, and enjoyed it throughout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geffQdBbKzI&ob=av3e

In the last six months I have seen movies about people trapped on a chair lift, airport shuttle, sauna room, 2 about elevators, now a glass ATM booth .

I used to think it was hard to get a script picked up for a movie. Now I know all I have to do is write a 90 page script about 3 people trapped in some absurd situation that ignores all of the logical routes of escape. If it's too easy to escape then I will generate wolves, serial killers, sex traffic kidnappers or a mad scientist...I'm going to be loving rich.

EDIT: Oh I forgot my favorite of them all Open Water 2 or "Help! I can't figure out how get back onto my luxury yacht!"

Mouser.. fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 15, 2012

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

weekly font posted:

The key to uncomfortable, gritty, realistic violence is it having a point. So way to gently caress that up every time, Robbo.

Can you elaborate on this?

Not contradicting you, just curious as to what you have to say.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

weekly font posted:

The best point for this is in Devils Rejects, the audience is rooting for the brother of the slain officer from 1000 Corpses, and while there's gratification when he has them tied to the chair and is stapling MISSING posters and crime scene photos to them, he's no better. We root for the violence in Halloween because young Michael has had it rough and is pretty much doling out punishment to the parties responsible. Even still, the audience is appreciating the pain and suffering of others and that's not something we should be doing. I'm not saying Zombie is insanely profound or anything, but I can appreciate the point he makes regarding how graphic violence can be.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Mouser.. posted:

In the last six months I have seen movies about people trapped on a chair lift, airport shuttle, sauna room, 2 about elevators, now a glass ATM booth .

I used to think it was hard to get a script picked up for a movie. Now I know all I have to do is write a 90 page script about 3 people trapped in some absurd situation that ignores all of the logical routes of escape. If it's too easy to escape then I will generate wolves, serial killers, sex traffic kidnappers or a mad scientist...I'm going to be loving rich.

EDIT: Oh I forgot my favorite of them all Open Water 2 or "Help! I can't figure out how get back onto my luxury yacht!"

It's pronounced throatwobbler mangrove fyi

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

RightClickSaveAs posted:

The American remake of The Ring was my first introduction to Asian horror, I saw it in theaters when it was out and thought it was very effective. I haven't watched it since then, so maybe a lot of it was everything seemed new to me still, as we hadn't yet had the surge of Asian horror remakes that made everyone bored with little ghost girls with long black hair. But it had some really scary scenes, and that drat video. My brother said it's basically just any random film student's art project, which I thought was pretty funny, but it still creeped me out.
I'm with your brother on that one and it's a big reason I don't like the american version quite as much as the japanese one. In the original the video is some weird poo poo on a severely degraded tape. The american one just seems like a Nine Inch Nails video.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Mouser.. posted:

Im blaming this on it being the morning, but I can't figure out the bolded movies. I know Frozen and one of the elevator movies being Devil but I am drawing a blank on the others.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

There's another elevator movie with Amber Tamblyn that's real bad.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
The airport shuttle one sounds like Quarantine 2.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

Horns posted:

The airport shuttle one sounds like Quarantine 2.

God, Quarantine 2 was such a poo poo movie. I watched it because the first one was pretty good, and because I thought it would be really interesting to see how a zombie movie could be filmed entirely in the enclosed space of an airplane. Turns out it isn't, the characters are on the plane for all of twenty minutes before they're shunted into some magically sealed airport warehouse where they're chased around by zombies. Sigh.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

What's the sauna one? I've been taking a break from horror for a minute but have ATM on my list.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

What's the sauna one? I've been taking a break from horror for a minute but have ATM on my list.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1289437/ At least, I hope that there isn't more than one movie about being trapped in a steam room. Goddamn, Val Kilmer really must be a righteous oval office to work with because I can't think of any other good reason why he's stooped bit parts in the string of D movies he's been cranking out.

I actually kind of liked the ending to ATM. But the fact that three people didn't bum rush the weaponless killer, even after it became clear that they were going to die otherwise, pissed me off to no end.

PaleBlueDot
Feb 13, 2012

All the way from
Transylvania

TUS posted:

Im blaming this on it being the morning, but I can't figure out the bolded movies. I know Frozen and one of the elevator movies being Devil but I am drawing a blank on the others.

The second elevator movie might be Blackout or Elevator

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

EgillSkallagrimsson posted:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1289437/ At least, I hope that there isn't more than one movie about being trapped in a steam room. Goddamn, Val Kilmer really must be a righteous oval office to work with because I can't think of any other good reason why he's stooped bit parts in the string of D movies he's been cranking out.

I actually kind of liked the ending to ATM. But the fact that three people didn't bum rush the weaponless killer, even after it became clear that they were going to die otherwise, pissed me off to no end.

Holy jesus this movie looks amazing. I'm assuming there's basically no way it can deliver on what I'm expecting.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Popular Human posted:

God, Quarantine 2 was such a poo poo movie. I watched it because the first one was pretty good, and because I thought it would be really interesting to see how a zombie movie could be filmed entirely in the enclosed space of an airplane. Turns out it isn't, the characters are on the plane for all of twenty minutes before they're shunted into some magically sealed airport warehouse where they're chased around by zombies. Sigh.

Have you seen Flight of the Living Dead? Takes place entirely on the plane and I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Boinks posted:

Have you seen Flight of the Living Dead? Takes place entirely on the plane and I enjoyed the hell out of it.

My only problem with that film is the magical shaft behind the bathroom mirror that's big enough for the zombies to pop up through but when they are outside of the bathroom you can clearly see it's just a normal thing wall, maybe 2 inches thick.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

TUS posted:

Elevator movie was Blackout and airport shuttle was Shuttle . Shuttle was less trapped than it was kidnapped and forced to ride around in an airport shuttle driven by a evil man.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Mouser.. posted:

Shuttle was less trapped than it was kidnapped and forced to ride around in an airport shuttle driven by a evil man.

That movie was really lovely.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Dissapointed Owl posted:

That movie was really lovely.

No arguments from me. Netflix Instant strikes again.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
There's also P2, where a woman is trapped in a parking garage with a stalker, but I thought that was horribly boring.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

User-Friendly posted:

There's also P2, where a woman is trapped in a parking garage with a stalker, but I thought that was horribly boring.
You and me both. It's not a good sign when a supposed thriller puts everyone in the room to sleep.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Does F count? Where the teaching staff is 'trapped' in their school?

Silver Newt
Jun 8, 2007

Happiness is being famous for your financial ability to indulge in every kind of excess.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Does F count? Where the teaching staff is 'trapped' in their school?

F was one of the most boring films I have ever seen.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

User-Friendly posted:

Most memorable thing about P2 was listening to the directors commentary. Since Rachel Nichols wouldn't go topless in the movie, the director decided it would be a better idea to put her into the tightest fitting white dress that he could, make it white and have her run around in a cold garage. I believe it was that one, I might be mixing up this one and the Cabin Fever commentary where Eli Roth complained that one actress wouldn't get naked in their movie but got naked in Club Dread.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Silver Newt posted:

F was one of the most boring films I have ever seen.

It was.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Mouser.. posted:

Elevator movie was Blackout and airport shuttle was Shuttle . Shuttle was less trapped than it was kidnapped and forced to ride around in an airport shuttle driven by a evil man.
That sounds like comedy gold

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Toriori posted:

It's a frustrating movie.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Toriori posted:

Or a regular trip to the airport.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Toriori posted:

It's intriguing for a little while but the final act lays it on a bit too thick and leaves you feeling depressed in the end. There is just too many mindbogglingly stupid decisions made by the main characters to feel any type of sympathy for them. And the evil villain (A scrawny white guy) takes a Jason Vorhees amount of damage and still manages to kick the poo poo of and control three guys and two girls on a shuttle.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Try to suck the venom out.
Sorry to break the chat up but I have a recommendation.

The Awakening

I'm not going to mention the plot here - you can get that from the trailer - but we both really enjoyed this and it doesn't look like we were the only ones.

LoveFilm review
Telegraph review

Trailer

Not sure if its on netflix yet but it should be,

Definitely a curl up under the blankets with popcorn movie. I really really dont want to say anything else lest I spoil it.

Okay, done.

Local Group Bus fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 16, 2012

BunLengthHotDog
Jun 30, 2003

Good Game
I have never browsed a thread as slow as I have the last 3 pages.

I started watching horror movies before I was 10, with classics such as Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm St, Halloween etc. The only movie I have lost sleep over in my 35 years was the American remake of "The Ring". I talked my wife into dinner and a movie for our 3rd anniversary and picked The Ring because I was a horror fan and it looked pretty interesting.

We sit down to watch the movie and immediately notice we are sitting in a theater full of highschool students. The movie starts and the "Scream" vibe is on in full force...including a very vocal audience giggling and "ah hell nah"ing non stop. Then the closet scene flashes and you could hear a pin drop in the theater...no more giggling, no more whispers and quiet talking under ones breath...no more "Scream".

I enjoyed the rest of the movie until the uneasy well scene. Lulled to sleep by the false ending, I wasn't prepared for the finale in the least and it scared the everlivingshit out of me. I am in my mid 30's with 2 kids...one of which is 8 and has stated Aliens is her favorite film...and I unplugged my TV the night we watched The Ring.

Unplugged. my. TV.

I have watched countless scary flicks since, but nothing comes close for me.

BunLengthHotDog fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Mar 16, 2012

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

Local Group Bus posted:

The Awakening

I'm not going to mention the plot here - you can get that from the trailer - but we both really enjoyed this and it doesn't look like we were the only ones.

LoveFilm review
Telegraph review

Trailer

Not sure if its on netflix yet but it should be,

Definitely a curl up under the blankets with popcorn movie. I really really dont want to say anything else lest I spoil it.

Okay, done.

Hey thanks for this recommendation. We watched it tonight and, while it wasn't remotely scary, it was a very competent ghost story with a satisfying ending.

I've not seen a film go so quickly from "Pah, they're trying too hard." to "Ok, this is great!" for a long time.

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

The city is alive tonight

Mouser.. posted:

There's also Buried which surprised me how effective it was. I was never a claustrophobic but I sure felt it while watching that. The only part that annoyed me was the snake.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Local Group Bus posted:

The Awakening

This looks really cool but please tell me it's not one of those "Oh the ghost is just misunderstood and wants a hug" ghost movies.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Volume posted:

This looks really cool but please tell me it's not one of those "Oh the ghost is just misunderstood and wants a hug" ghost movies.

Well.... I don't know how to tell you this.....

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Local Group Bus posted:

The Awakening

Watch this one. It could be because I'm sleep deprived, but I absolutely loved the ending. The whole movie kept me on the edge of my seat as I watched this curled up in my bed. I'm a sucker for atmospheric spooky stories.

Just a fool
Oct 14, 2004
Well they call me the hunter, baby that's my name, they call me the hunter, that's how I got my fame.

BunLengthHotDog posted:

I started watching horror movies before I was 10, with classics such as Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm St, Halloween etc. The only movie I have lost sleep over in my 35 years was the American remake of "The Ring"....

"scared the everlivingshit out of me."

Pretty much same here. When my wife and I first started dating, we decided to see a movie. It was our first movie together. There didn't seem to be many good movies out at that time, so I asked her if she liked scary movies. She was like "yeah!" So we decided on The Ring. We sat down at the theater and as soon as the movie started, her hands went up over her eyes. For like 5 minutes she sat like that and I was making fun of her, saying "I thought you said you liked scary movies... why are your hands over your eyes? This isn't gonna be that bad." She decided to get up and go get popcorn real quick, and that loving closet scene happened and I jumped out of my seat. The rest of the movie I was on edge. I had nightmares for probably a week. She said she slept well because she never actually saw the faces and didn't see Samara's face or anything. I never have watched The Ring since then.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
Chernobyl Diaries

It's directed by the guy who did Let Me In (which I thought was very good) and the screenplay is by the guy who did Paranormal Activity (saw first two, was bored for 95% of it).

Pripyat is probably one of the saddest/creepiest looking places on earth. It would be interesting to have a Chernobyl movie with Keith Thompson's art used as the model for the ghosts/creatures.

There's something a bit Silent Hill about it, with the sirens and the seemingly innocent figures and weird noises and seeing things out of the corner of your eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaleBlueDot
Feb 13, 2012

All the way from
Transylvania
Looks interesting, but it sorta looks, from the trailer, like they've transplanted ye' olde cabin in the woods story to Pripyat and that's it. Maybe I'm a bit overly critical, though. The geiger counter could be a very interesting element in a horror film, assuming whatever's after them is at least slightly radioactive, that is.