Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I just pictured someone with a metal leg doing lockdown half-guard :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
You should see his gogoplata

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
With the leg prosthetic he'd be the best partner in the world to practice heel hooks on.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Sounds reasonable:

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/news/a622382/mark-schultz-sorry-for-foxcatcher-criticism-i-was-temporarily-insane.html?rss#~p1SnlE1B99qvEz

raingwc
Feb 28, 2008

Just had my first real bjj in gi class today.(done some nogi before via mma)

Season start for the newbies, started with some drills so we got warm, then to finish off the warmup it was 10 burpees, 20 pushups, 30 situps, 40 squats.
I almost puked :D I've been inactive way too long and have just been lifting semi seriously.

We did standup only, grip fighting, and boy did it hurt.

But it was fun, and me and my bloody fingers will return for more punishment.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

It is just the best thing.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
According to NCAA wrestling today is national hug day. So they're tweeting out a bunch of wrestler's hugging their coaches after winning titles.

No homo.

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Cinderella boy... Out of nowhere...
Yam Slacker
Still the greatest hug:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n79wBw_LJ9Y

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Mardragon posted:

Still the greatest hug:

wikipedia posted:

Taylor died of cardiovascular complications at his home in Story City, Iowa at the age of 29, two years after health problems caused him to retire from professional wrestling.
:(

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

So a week ago I did something to my ribs while rolling. I'm a total beginner so I don't have a lot of finesse, and I felt something give in my right upper ribcage when I was trying to roll someone over while they were all turtled up.
It didn't really hurt that badly at the time so I kept going, but the next day was hell. I have a pretty high pain threshhold but this is horrible. Getting out of bed is agony, and if I feel a cough or sneeze coming I feel a panic coming on since I know the pain is going to be intense.

This is the second time I have done this to myself. The last time was during a friendly drunken wrestling bout with a friend of mine in someone's front yard, and the injury was almost in the same spot. Last time it took around 6 weeks for the pain to subside, and this time it seems to be worse.

Is this a common grappling injury? I can't even do a pushup without wincing, so I'm not sure if rolling is a good idea while I'm busted up, which sucks because I was having a blast. I can't figure out why this keeps happening.

If anyone has any suggestions about conditioning or targeted exercise to do so I can strengthen this part of my body, or supplements, or whatever, let me know. For now I'm just alternating hot and cold and eating ibuprofen like crazy while I try to figure out when I can get back on the mats.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Sounds similar to this http://www.mmaweekly.com/ufc-doctor-verifies-penns-rib-injury-2

You should see a doctor if something hurts.

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Sounds similar to this http://www.mmaweekly.com/ufc-doctor-verifies-penns-rib-injury-2

You should see a doctor if something hurts.

It could be. I had a costochondral injury once before about 10 years ago and it sucked. This seems to be farther to the right but the sensation is similar so who knows. It definitely happened while I was twisting.

Googling "frequent rib injury" leads down a dark road of bone cancer and other weird poo poo so I stopped. If I have bone cancer it is the worlds slowest acting form

My mother is a nurse practitioner and basically said "it probably isn't broken, but either way there isn't much you can do for rib injuries. If it gets bad, go try and get better pain killers"

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Prickly Pete posted:

So a week ago I did something to my ribs while rolling. I'm a total beginner so I don't have a lot of finesse, and I felt something give in my right upper ribcage when I was trying to roll someone over while they were all turtled up.
It didn't really hurt that badly at the time so I kept going, but the next day was hell. I have a pretty high pain threshhold but this is horrible. Getting out of bed is agony, and if I feel a cough or sneeze coming I feel a panic coming on since I know the pain is going to be intense.

This is the second time I have done this to myself. The last time was during a friendly drunken wrestling bout with a friend of mine in someone's front yard, and the injury was almost in the same spot. Last time it took around 6 weeks for the pain to subside, and this time it seems to be worse.

Is this a common grappling injury? I can't even do a pushup without wincing, so I'm not sure if rolling is a good idea while I'm busted up, which sucks because I was having a blast. I can't figure out why this keeps happening.

If anyone has any suggestions about conditioning or targeted exercise to do so I can strengthen this part of my body, or supplements, or whatever, let me know. For now I'm just alternating hot and cold and eating ibuprofen like crazy while I try to figure out when I can get back on the mats.

You probably broke/bruised a rib or pulled a muscle in your ribcage. Rest until you feel better, and see a doctor if you can.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I am still nursing a rib injury I got when a 270 pound dude reminded me why it's called Side Control instead of Side Let's Just Hang Bro

It sucks, but light activity leading to moderate activity over a few days was enough to get me back to capable. I didn't ever have the "give" sensation, though, and that sounds like something I would almost certainly go to the doctor for. It is true that there's nearly nothing you can do for a rib but wait for it to heal, but I'd want to be absolutely sure there wasn't any risk of a lung puncture or any of the other nasty things that can result from your ribs breaking off a little.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

You probably broke/bruised a rib or pulled a muscle in your ribcage. Rest until you feel better, and see a doctor if you can.

This happened to me when I tried to squirm out of a very tight body lock, took about 6 weeks to rehab and I basically couldn't do any physical activity beyond walking very slowly.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Prickly Pete posted:

If anyone has any suggestions about conditioning or targeted exercise to do so I can strengthen this part of my body, or supplements, or whatever, let me know.

It's hard to say without knowing the specifics. I would see a physio or osteopath for a diagnosis. I wouldn't bother with a general doctor, what you'll get from them is an x-ray which will come back with no fractures and a script for anti-inflammatory drugs.

It could be part of a broader problem with your spine and hips, it could be muscle related, could be simply just a sprain. A physio or osteopath should be able to get in there and give you a better idea of what's happening by checking the alignment of your pelvis, range of motion, digging their fingers into your hip flexors and diaphragm muscles, feeling around for scar tissue and things like that.

WayneCampbell
Oct 7, 2005
You got me a gunrack?!? I don't even own a gun, let alone alone enough to nessecitate an entire rack.
Does anyone have any tips for conditioning? After a six minute round, MAYBE 2 of rolling I'm basically useless and trying not to puke on my partner.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Maybe you're too tense while you're actually rolling, and you're either exerting too much strength when you don't need to or you're not breathing very well?

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

WayneCampbell posted:

Does anyone have any tips for conditioning? After a six minute round, MAYBE 2 of rolling I'm basically useless and trying not to puke on my partner.

e:f,b

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Prickly Pete posted:

I've pulled a muscle in my ribs twice and it sounds like exactly what you're describing it takes a long time to heal too. The first time I had it was from Judo and the second time was from coughing while I had the flu a few weeks ago. See a doctor if you're really worried but otherwise just wait it out.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

WayneCampbell posted:

Efficiency tips are good tips but if your cardio is balls and you gas easily, just keep at it and you'll develop a much bigger tank over time. Every long match you ever heard of was done by two human beings, mostly just like you. You'll get there if you keep at it, as they did and do.

Efficiency vs. cardio anecdote: the most relaxed dude that I roll with is a black belt guy who's frankly in worse shape than most folks there. Dude has been doing it long enough that he seems to understand totally intuitively when to use strength and when to turn it off. Like rolling with a machine. I'm sure his cardiopulmonary system is in disproportionately good shape, too, since he does pour it on when he's ready to sub you and he wouldn't be able to do that if he was a step from gassing all the time.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 23, 2015

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Rolling seems to be the best conditioning for rolling. I dunno, I'm just a whitey.

DAS Super!
Jul 26, 2007
You should probably pay more attention to your log.
/
:backtowork:
European Open Jiu-Jitsu Championship 2015 Live: http://youtu.be/ykpqc21bcPk

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

DAS Super! posted:

Holy crap, this thing runs over 5 days? It must be hell to arrange all those matchups.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

DAS Super! posted:

Luis Lopes/Paulo Miyao quarterfinal going right now, really good match so far.
Miyao is making me want to train more gi.

e: Miyao by sick calf slicer
e2: the aforementioned slicer: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=711409522313098
e3: Miyao vs Miyao final starting now!!
e4: Miyao's just flipped a coin I guess. :smith:

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 25, 2015

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
back from vacation. I am requesting some contributions on major tournaments for the new grappling OP. You can edit them directly into the document or post them and I will C/P.

Tournaments I think we need (add one if you think its important):

ADCC Abu Dhabi Combat Club:
[Fill in the blank]

Worlds (Mundials)
[Fill in the blank]

Metamoris
[Fill in the blank]

Pan Ams
[Fill in the blank]

NCAA Tournament
[Fill in the blank]

FlowWrestling Events (should we include?)
[Fill in the blank]

SAMBO tournaments?
[Fill in the blank]

Judo (Olympics? Nationals IDK?)

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I'll do the NCAA tournament. How long should it be. Because if you don't give me a limit it is going to be real big.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Thoguh posted:

I'll do the NCAA tournament. How long should it be. Because if you don't give me a limit it is going to be real big.

Keep in mind that this should be about the NCAA tournament in general and not specifically about the next one upcoming, unless we're going to reboot this thread a lot more frequently than we have so far.

EDIT: lmao, when the current OP was posted I was a purple belt

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
yes general and imagine for someone who is interested in grappling in general. Also we already have the rules and general wrestling descriptions so its purely about the tournament.

I would say, for every grappling comp:

dates if its a set time of year
format (double elimination single team points blah blah)
typically strong schools / teams
how to watch
favorite moments or videos if you have a strong one

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

For sambo the big one is the FIAS World Sambo Championships, usually held in November. There's generally a crappy stream available and the Russians win every year. :toot:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Cross your fingers for Wednesday. I got cleared by a neurosurgeon that my brain malformation doesn't need surgery and that I can return to BJJ but two days later had a kidney stone that hospitalized me AND they found a hernia when finding the kidney stone. Wednesday I will hopefully be cleared from this stuff and by a neurologist to get back to wrestling in pajamas.

My body has been nothing but a garbage heap of bad luck my whole life but I like when it's able to function in basic ways.

I'm also thinking of returning to Muay Thai solely for the purpose of taking some amatuer matches. After the Jiu Jitsu tourney I was in I realized I'm still tough and could probably actually stand a chance of getting my MT back to decent levels unlike BJJ - which I think will take a few years to become actually competitive with. It still wont stop me from trying. :)

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Captain Log posted:

I got cleared by a neurosurgeon that my brain malformation doesn't need surgery and that I can return to BJJ but two days later had a kidney stone that hospitalized me AND they found a hernia when finding the kidney stone.
:stare:
Jesus dude, good luck, hope you get the all clear.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Fuuuuck man. Hang in there. I deal with what seems like a bullshit number of injuries myself, but I had back surgery like one year ago so that's pretty normal? I dunno. Getting easier for me, what the hell you doing to get so screwed up man :(

(anyone can get a hernia, it's a sad fact y 'all)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Agreed posted:

Fuuuuck man. Hang in there. I deal with what seems like a bullshit number of injuries myself, but I had back surgery like one year ago so that's pretty normal? I dunno. Getting easier for me, what the hell you doing to get so screwed up man :(

(anyone can get a hernia, it's a sad fact y 'all)

Thanks for the good vibes folks. Due to some neurological "events" I went through the Greg House treatment for a bit. Turned out I have a Type one congenital Chiari Malformation that basically means I'm a clumsy insomniac with a lifetime of crap vision, depression, and headaches. The funny thing is the whole thing that got the ball rolling to discover this is the fact that I've had a ringing in my ears for six months that hasn't stopped. Which is a bitch.

Literally two days after I found out I didn't need a weird brain surgery (for now) to "decompress" parts of my brain, I had to go to the ER because it felt like I had got Cheick Kongo'd in the balls for two straight days to the point of nausea, severe death like pain, etc. Turned out it was a bad luck kidney stone (I'm thirty and nothing in my lifestyle would make me prone to one) and they found a crotch hernia in the process of looking for it. Having to present your balls for an ultrasound to a room full of people looking at a monitor while on a morphine drip is a really loving weird experience.

Sorry to e/n vent. It's just frustrating to finally get back into MMA/Muay Thai/BJJ and get in shape and then have all that happen. Oh and I got acute pancreatitis a year ago. When I didn't have health insurance. That still stings.

I just want to get loving healthy. Really

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Captain Log posted:

Thanks for the good vibes folks. Due to some neurological "events" I went through the Greg House treatment for a bit. Turned out I have a Type one congenital Chiari Malformation that basically means I'm a clumsy insomniac with a lifetime of crap vision, depression, and headaches. The funny thing is the whole thing that got the ball rolling to discover this is the fact that I've had a ringing in my ears for six months that hasn't stopped. Which is a bitch.

Literally two days after I found out I didn't need a weird brain surgery (for now) to "decompress" parts of my brain, I had to go to the ER because it felt like I had got Cheick Kongo'd in the balls for two straight days to the point of nausea, severe death like pain, etc. Turned out it was a bad luck kidney stone (I'm thirty and nothing in my lifestyle would make me prone to one) and they found a crotch hernia in the process of looking for it. Having to present your balls for an ultrasound to a room full of people looking at a monitor while on a morphine drip is a really loving weird experience.

Sorry to e/n vent. It's just frustrating to finally get back into MMA/Muay Thai/BJJ and get in shape and then have all that happen. Oh and I got acute pancreatitis a year ago. When I didn't have health insurance. That still stings.

RIP Captain Log

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Captain Log posted:

I feel your pain. I've been out of the gym for almost a year after a back-to-back series of ankle sprain to knee sprain to hip dislocation to herniated disc. Maybe not as dramatic as a brain thing, but I totally get how frustrating it is not to be able to do stuff that has become part of your lifestyle because of random medical bullshit.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

Captain Log posted:

Best wishes player. I know all about dealing with injuries. My neck kept me out of the gym for a couple years. I got regenokine this year and I feel great. I hope something works for you.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

fatherdog posted:

Keep in mind that this should be about the NCAA tournament in general and not specifically about the next one upcoming, unless we're going to reboot this thread a lot more frequently than we have so far.

EDIT: lmao, when the current OP was posted I was a purple belt

Yeah, I'll do my normal big effortpost in early March for the one this year. But for the NCAA tournament as a whole you could start with just a brief overview of the format and go outwards from there. Including the DII and DII tournaments and the small, but growing, women's folkstyle scene in college.

Like Gable losing to Owings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDhH4aTWi-M

Or Sanderson's last match
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMOB0g5AOj8

And Dake's last match (And Dake/Taylor part III)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNihUnLjut0

And so on.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 27, 2015

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
So, uh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vZhpjfHOm0

Giant vs hobit jiu jitsu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Bundt Cake posted:

RIP Captain Log

Is it bad that I think this is the nicest thing Bundt ever said to me?

Thanks again guys, best wishes feel good.