Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

gently caress if I know. My company will stick my on a prop plane with no reclining seats on a double connection to save money and I'm still well over minimum spend.

Speaking of, is there a way to make up a hundred or so miles on united to hit plat? If I call and beg concierge do you think they'll mulligan me? I'm so close it's bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Delta used to let you buy MQMs and at that point it's probably worth it. You could MR as well, I guess.

I like prop planes though

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

MQDs don't roll.

How are you people spending so little on flights? I'm at like $0.15 per mile in terms of MQD/MQM ratio which puts me well over at every single status level. Even cutting out my one full-fare J Asia trip, I'm still comfortably above the spend threshold at all levels.

Damnit.

For me it's because I only started in November and each round trip is ~$270. Was hoping my progress so far sitting in the back of planes wouldn't be wasted.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Delta used to let you buy MQMs and at that point it's probably worth it. You could MR as well, I guess.

MR?

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
Mentally retardation is such a strong word.
Mileage run.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Wait people get on flights just to turn around immediately and accrue miles? Hahhaha. Like even if that got you 100k miles holy poo poo that's loving stupid, don't get too far up your own rear end with this nonsense.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Pryor on Fire posted:

Wait people get on flights just to turn around immediately and accrue miles? Hahhaha. Like even if that got you 100k miles holy poo poo that's loving stupid, don't get too far up your own rear end with this nonsense.

Welp guess I'll see if I can get a refund on this SEA-HKG-SEA. I'm not turning around immediately but the catalyst of the trip is 10000 miles for $450 and making my 2017 work travel not terrible.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Pryor on Fire posted:

lol, you don't know how deep the rabbit hole goes

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

If you're going there for a vacation for a couple days I could see that, but if you're just getting a lovely burger in the airport and going back... goddamn that just seems like insanity to me. Maybe pre 9/11, but holy poo poo no way in 2016. Maybe if you're a freelancer and have no family/friends and can just work on the plane, but even then I don't think it's worth 100k miles.

*edit sorry this isn't really a useful contribution, I mostly just enjoy reading about you crazy fucks carry on!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

MRs are absolutely retarded unless you're literally like a couple hundred miles short of a significant break. I'd probably MR to NY from Boston, get lunch with a friend, and come back, if I were sub-1000 MQM short of Diamond. Otherwise, gently caress no.

Some idiot in here MRd to like Singapore once from Tampa, that's loving retarded.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I don't suppose you've heard of mattress runs either?

e:^^^^ that was last year wasn't it?

e2: vvvv yep!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Cacafuego posted:

Is that the same poo poo but for hotels?

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Cacafuego posted:

e:^^^^ that was last year wasn't it?
Did a mattress run a couple years ago because I was 1 night short of Diamond. Really just extended an extra hotel night with the wife after the company Christmas party though so it wasn't totally harebrained.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Rex-Goliath posted:

Oh wait do MQDs not roll over? Is it only MQMs that roll over?

They don't. Which kind of sucks since that makes MQM rollover all but worthless unless you have the Delta AmEx and spend a bunch on it. This year I'm going to roll over about 45k miles so will have the mileage for Gold by the end of January. If MQD rolled over I'd start with about $5k (since I'm a plat and had about $14k MQD this year) and that would give me a really nice head start on status and I'd have zero concern about hitting Plat again next year. But nope, gotta go back to zero.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What do you guys do for socializing to avoid going nuts on longer assignments? I'm in Germany now and after a few 90-hour weeks it seems that things would be pretty normal until end of year. I'm not in a major city and speak only basic German so it makes things a bit awkward, but I'd hate myself if I just spend the month playing Civ in the apartment or something.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

How are you people spending so little on flights? I'm at like $0.15 per mile in terms of MQD/MQM ratio which puts me well over at every single status level. Even cutting out my one full-fare J Asia trip, I'm still comfortably above the spend threshold at all levels.

Don't you fly a bunch of international business class though? Those fares are priced way higher than domestic coach, especially if you're flying in competitive markets. If you fly non-refundable fares cross country (which is what I do a lot of since my company has decided it is cheaper to pay change fees occasionally than it is to pay for refundable fares) the amount you pay per mile can be extremely low.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

In my experience Germans don't "socialize" so much as silently judge your unkempt appearance. It does not matter where you are from or what you wear you are unkempt compared to educated Germans.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Thoguh posted:

Don't you fly a bunch of international business class though? Those fares are priced way higher than domestic coach, especially if you're flying in competitive markets. If you fly non-refundable fares cross country (which is what I do a lot of since my company has decided it is cheaper to pay change fees occasionally than it is to pay for refundable fares) the amount you pay per mile can be extremely low.

Not that much business class this year, only the one trip was paid full fare business, everything else on GUs. Edit: I also buy nonrefundables all the time.

mobby_6kl posted:

What do you guys do for socializing to avoid going nuts on longer assignments? I'm in Germany now and after a few 90-hour weeks it seems that things would be pretty normal until end of year. I'm not in a major city and speak only basic German so it makes things a bit awkward, but I'd hate myself if I just spend the month playing Civ in the apartment or something.

I assume you have colleagues or client side people - just ask them what's cool to check out, ask a couple of cool client side people to dinner, etc. You can also hit up the LAN forum lol. Unfortunately it's Germany, and Germans are not that nice. What city are you in?

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

SuperSpiff posted:

Mileage run.

DON'T DO IT!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

MRs are absolutely retarded unless you're literally like a couple hundred miles short of a significant break. I'd probably MR to NY from Boston, get lunch with a friend, and come back, if I were sub-1000 MQM short of Diamond. Otherwise, gently caress no.

Some idiot in here MRd to like Singapore once from Tampa, that's loving retarded.

Hey hows it goin?

Doing that run was stupid, but I've more than made up the cost. I'm at about 80% on my upgrades this year, and the 4 GUCs I picked as one of my benefits got me to Germany first class after paying for coach, and will probably get me back there again next year.

DJCobol fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Dec 12, 2016

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

KillHour posted:

Just got off a coach flight back from Israel with a layover in Germany. I'm sitting in Dulles waiting for my last leg on a loving prop plane.

DTW to NGO direct business routinely sells out from paying customers and that ticket is usually $12k more than econ. It is totally nuts.

mobby_6kl posted:

When I started going to Japan more often I just started learning the language more seriously and things are more enjoyable now. Germans are totally weird though so good luck.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I like how Alaska has a fleet of props decked out in the liveries of all the universities out west :3:

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

asur posted:

It's 5x for flights booked directly with any airline or via Amex travel. It's not limited to the airline that you choose for the fee credit. It's still kind of mediocre compared to a travel category, but if you book a lot of airline travel on a personal card then it's a decent perk. I don't really know who that would be, but :shrug:

My company uses Egencia and I booked a United ticket through them with my AmEx Plat as an experiment and it actually came through at 5x. I was pleasantly surprised.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Dollars chat. I booked more than one DFW->HKG/SYD booking last year that came in at just about 1k round trip. The new AA qualifying dollars thing is going to actually be a bit of a challenge for me.

Gotta figure out a way to swing a premium econ or a J trip in there at least once to fight the ~6.25 cents/mile that those fares are generating.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I assume you have colleagues or client side people - just ask them what's cool to check out, ask a couple of cool client side people to dinner, etc. You can also hit up the LAN forum lol. Unfortunately it's Germany, and Germans are not that nice. What city are you in?
Certainly, I've had some lunches and dinners with colleagues but I wanted to go beyond that. Maybe even a hookup!

I'm in Heidelberg. I guess I could try to find a student bar or something.

Uncle Jam posted:

When I started going to Japan more often I just started learning the language more seriously and things are more enjoyable now. Germans are totally weird though so good luck.
Weirder than the Japanese? gently caress!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

"what's cool to do on weekends" usually should give you an in on at least a few options but then again, germans

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

How much time has to go by until I can start making demands from an airline? My flight was supposed to depart at 8:30 this morning and it's now 1:30 with an expected departure of 3:45. At some point do they have refund me or anything? I've lost an entire day due to being stuck in this terminal and my client is pissed

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Also I totally understand why you guys value club access so highly now

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

first of all tell your client to go screw, you're not doing poo poo to them deliberately and you'd rather be on your merry way to help them with their widget factory or app or whatever the gently caress. just tell them you'll update as soon as you can figure out what's going on or reschedule meetings or whatever.

it depends on the reason for the delay. if it's weather they don't have to do poo poo.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Nah it's mechanical. We boarded the plane and a circuit breaker tripped when they closed the door. We deboarded and have been waiting ever since

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Rex-Goliath posted:

Nah it's mechanical. We boarded the plane and a circuit breaker tripped when they closed the door. We deboarded and have been waiting ever since

Log a complaint with the airline. I did this when my AA flight was delayed 8 hours for a mechanical problem and they gave me 10k miles. Won't do a thing for your client, but eh, it's something.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

mobby_6kl posted:

Certainly, I've had some lunches and dinners with colleagues but I wanted to go beyond that. Maybe even a hookup!

I'm in Heidelberg. I guess I could try to find a student bar or something.

Tinder/Couchsurfing etc. I've had a lot of good success using Couchsurfing just as "hey I want a local to show me some cool poo poo to do/eat, I'll cover your drinks/food" (considering I'm on per diem/expensing it anyway...)

I also had a fwb thing going on with a flight attendant for a while and that was a fun/neurotic learning experience.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
I'd wait until after the flight to complain to the airline. A 5 hour delay could turn into a 12 hour delay or worse and would deserve much greater compensation. Ask for what you want; if you want a voucher, ask for it in your complaint; if you want miles instead give a number you feel is appropriate. Also, if you paid with a travel credit card, it might have travel insurance to cover expenses incurred for delays greater than 3 or 6 hours or whatever.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
If you're flying in the EU, they owe you cash. Regulation 261. I haven't tried a claim myself as none of my delayed flights have been through the EU yet. I think United gave me like 10k or 15k miles last year when I had a flight delayed and ultimately cancelled.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Tyro posted:

If you're flying in the EU, they owe you cash. Regulation 261. I haven't tried a claim myself as none of my delayed flights have been through the EU yet. I think United gave me like 10k or 15k miles last year when I had a flight delayed and ultimately cancelled.

To add some detail, EU 261 applies to any flights departing an EU country operated by any carrier, or flights to the EU operated by a carrier based in the EU. AA/DL/UA flying to Europe would owe you nothing but could choose to give miles or a voucher as a customer service courtesy.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

creationist believer posted:

To add some detail, EU 261 applies to any flights departing an EU country operated by any carrier, or flights to the EU operated by a carrier based in the EU. AA/DL/UA flying to Europe would owe you nothing but could choose to give miles or a voucher as a customer service courtesy.

Thanks for the specifics, I was on my phone earlier. I've also heard that US carriers operating flights departing EU countries will sometimes push back when attempting to claim the cash, but I've read some success stories online. There are also law firms in the EU who will take the cases on contingency in exchange for something like 1/3 the award.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Tyro posted:

Thanks for the specifics, I was on my phone earlier. I've also heard that US carriers operating flights departing EU countries will sometimes push back when attempting to claim the cash, but I've read some success stories online. There are also law firms in the EU who will take the cases on contingency in exchange for something like 1/3 the award.

Yeah you can kind of expect that all the customer service agents in the EU carriers are familiar with the EU Commission regulation, whereas with US carriers you need to keep pressing the issue until you get an agent or supervisor who understands what the law requires.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

MQDs don't roll.

Your accounting department is not pleased. :colbert:

Residency Evil posted:

Looks like I'm finishing up the year with 60 segments and $5300 spent on Delta. I'm boned right? Can I buy $700 worth of Delta gift cards to get gold or something?
An MQD mileage run. Oh the times we live in..

Pryor on Fire posted:

For a year's worth of higher upgrade priority and international business class upgrades? I don't think it is stupid at all. Again, it depends on how close you are, and how much you value your time. But remember that these upgrades are things you can use for yourself and others, too, on your own personal travel.

Rex-Goliath posted:

Also I totally understand why you guys value club access so highly now
It's really nice to have wi-fi, power outlets, and space to work. (Or browse SA I guess..) Particularly useful if you get delayed or have a long layover.

i fly airplanes fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 13, 2016

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

air- posted:

I also had a fwb thing going on with a flight attendant for a while and that was a fun/neurotic learning experience.

Hey I did that twice and that's a completely accurate description.

Also if you aren't on the phone to rebook or protect you on the next flight the second you have to deplane you're making a mistake.

It's roulette if it's weather, but better odds if it's mechanical. I also successfully got them to credit me for my EQMs I lost due to an emergency landing that delayed until 3 hours before my next flight left, making it impossible for me to even go home. I just call, say what I want, and hope for the best. For me I care far more about completing my trip than bonus miles or whatever.

I also have no idea how people are struggling with spend but idk.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY
A lot of companies are using Concur now to manage travel policies, and that might be booking in lower fare classes than what usual corporate business traffic goes with. Some companies for non-travel positions will straight-up book employees in discount non-refundable economy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

AdrenalinG posted:

A lot of companies are using Concur now to manage travel policies, and that might be booking in lower fare classes than what usual corporate business traffic goes with. Some companies for non-travel positions will straight-up book employees in discount non-refundable economy.

I'm 100% travel and all my fights are discount non-refundable economy. My company's travel policy for flights is within $50 of the "lowest cost logical itinerary" (literally anything that gets you there same day). :smith: