Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Two of my professors didn't grade any assignments during the semester and grade reporting is due this week now I'm getting ten thousand grade notification emails

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Out of state family decided sort of last minute that they would make it to Christmas this year which is great because I haven't seen them in years; but goddammit now I have to go to the mall to get presents because only one of the presents will arrive on time.
Plus I know it's not the spirit of the holiday- but I already went over budget for presents with the people that had the decency to let me know way ahead of time to buy presents for so it's put me in a lovely position where I have to either suck it up spend even more money I don't have, or I give a family of four with kids one present that they can all use which is practical but lovely.

frogge has a new favorite as of 03:23 on Dec 20, 2017

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I have three rolls of sticky tape (for some unknown reason) and I can't find them. I should have enough sticky tape to last me about a decade, given how infrequently I use it, but I'm going to have to go out and buy some more anyway.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

frogge posted:

Out of state family decided sort of last minute that they would make it to Christmas this year which is great because I haven't seen them in years; but goddammit now I have to go to the mall to get presents because only one of the presents will arrive on time.
Plus I know it's not the spirit of the holiday- but I already went over budget for presents with the people that had the decency to let me know way ahead of time to buy presents for so it's put me in a lovely position where I have to either suck it up spend even more money I don't have, or I give a family of four with kids one present that they can all use which is practical but lovely.

Give each of them an unactivated $50 gift card, then blame the store if they ever complain

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I dropped off most of my nieces' and nephews's Xmas stuff already, and made the mistake of texting them and asking if, since they are getting older, gift cards would be okay next year. Several of them flipped out and were excited, and were of course a bit disappointed when I had to remind them NEXT year, because it's the week before Xmas kids, seriously you think I put this poo poo off that long?

Then people tell me gift cards are unsocial and kinda rude to give and I'm just like gently caress they're teenagers, what else can I get them!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I made someone cry because I called them out on using a racist slur.

I don't feel bad but next time I see them is gonna be weird.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Then people tell me gift cards are unsocial and kinda rude to give and I'm just like gently caress they're teenagers, what else can I get them!
Cash? It's like a gift card only better in absolutely every way.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Cash? It's like a gift card only better in absolutely every way.

the people who think gift cards are rude would definitely think cold hard cash is ruder.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
The “best” solution is, when possible, to take the recipient shopping. Virtually, if necessary.

Don’t know enough to know what a person/kid wants? talk to them and be there to watch the joy when they pick something out that they’re really excited for.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

lemon-lyme disease posted:

The “best” solution is, when possible, to take the recipient shopping. Virtually, if necessary.

Don’t know enough to know what a person/kid wants? talk to them and be there to watch the joy when they pick something out that they’re really excited for.

I wish, but one set of nieces, their parents are firm no-email no-text so the only way I can contact the kids is via phone. poo poo, it took the 13 year old months of begging to get an Instagram account. I've tried to just take the girls out on a shopping day but they have ONE day off from school and swimming a week, and usually that's spent on homework.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I wish I would only get useful gift cards (i.e. Not one to Applebee's or some other lovely store is never go to) or cash. The cheap $5 gloves and scarves got old 25 years ago. Or just give me a card. Even a card is better. Plus then I always feel super guilty getting rid of the scarves/gloves/etc away even though I'm always donating them to charity. Though I bet the people who receive them through charity are sick of them too.

Also I hate Christmas, especially Christmas music, and I can't wait until December 26th.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'd really like to play Assassin's Creed IV again, but I can't face all the tailing missions and Abstergo bits in between awesome piracy.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I got all excited cause I saw I had a package coming in UPS on Thursday, but then I read a little farther down and it was next Thursday and now I'm kinda sad.

I didn't pay for any speedy shipping or anything, I thought it was just a nice christmas surprise. Turns out I just surprised myself. Dammit.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Cowslips Warren posted:

I wish, but one set of nieces, their parents are firm no-email no-text so the only way I can contact the kids is via phone. poo poo, it took the 13 year old months of begging to get an Instagram account. I've tried to just take the girls out on a shopping day but they have ONE day off from school and swimming a week, and usually that's spent on homework.

Jesus drat. I’m reasonably strict re:my children and the internet/social media, but I can’t imagine somebody SO strict they’re like “No, you may not email or skype with your aunt. Phone calls are fine but NO COMPUTERINGS.”

Given that, I’d say you’re doing the best you can already.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

lemon-lyme disease posted:

Jesus drat. I’m reasonably strict re:my children and the internet/social media, but I can’t imagine somebody SO strict they’re like “No, you may not email or skype with your aunt. Phone calls are fine but NO COMPUTERINGS.”

Given that, I’d say you’re doing the best you can already.

It's funny, both girls got iPads a few years back but they can't have email. Their parents actually turn off the router when they are going to bed/don't need the Net on. Of course the girls know how this works, and one would sneak out and turn it back on so they'd be online in secret, then turn it off before they'd really go to bed. There was a big fight one morning when they forgot to turn it back off and each parent blamed the other for not turning off the router at bedtime.

It's like, drat. Sunday is the only day the girls have free from swimming and school, and it's mostly for homework, but once a month or so they go to a local Buddhist temple to 'study' which is mostly hanging out with kids their age without everything being about school or swim.

I'm kinda waiting for one or both of them to snap when they get to college and don't have most aspects of their life controlled. poo poo, every school break they are off visiting family in Japan or Washington and very rarely have any time just to relax.

By contrast, the other set of niece and nephew both have texting phones and computers with email access (parental controls of course) and because it's always there, they really don't abuse the stuff, and while there's fights over who does what in Overwatch, they really don't email or text too many people and never go into chat rooms.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If I had a daughter I wouldn't want her to have an Instagram account. Or if she did it would have to be private and invite only for friends and family. Instagram just might have the most disgusting/lecherous public community outside of Facebook.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

My eldest kid actually got up to the most poo poo on twitter, before I was forced to pull the plug. (On unsupervised internet access, not her life.)

I didn’t see it coming.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I got in so much trouble when I was 14 because I was taking part in a Radiohead chat room and clearly it was only a matter of days until I got kidnapped and murdered.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
My mom didn't give a gently caress and I also hacked the computer and due to that I have some internet friends for 18 years, we all met up once and one lives nearby so we hang out. Others I talk with and we <3 instagram pictures of each other, and such.

Times were different back then though, plus I had been watching Americas Most Wanted since I was like 5 so I was s-m-r-t. That was a good show.

I assume it's really hard to control kids regarding lovely people online, maybe they should make internet safety a class or at least a few week module in school, I dunno. :/ :( <-- that's definitely a first world problem.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Isn't the biggest problem by far for kids/teenagers with the internet not strangers but people they know in real life? And also not avoidable by not going online, because it's actually other kids talking poo poo about them behind their back or whatever? Is internet stranger danger really a widespread problem?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Tiggum posted:

Isn't the biggest problem by far for kids/teenagers with the internet not strangers but people they know in real life? And also not avoidable by not going online, because it's actually other kids talking poo poo about them behind their back or whatever? Is internet stranger danger really a widespread problem?

Yeah it's almost always someone they know or someone that lives nearby/in their building.
Sexual predators are opportunistic, not known to make elaborate plans.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
Maybe it's changed but sexual predators still seem to be a big issue. In addition, online bullying is a BIG issue for kids, especially teens :(

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I had a first-class package ship (USPS) the day before the cut-off date for arriving by christmas and it was supposed to be here thursday and has been stuck 'in transit' for 4 days :nallears: they didn't even bother to update it yesterday with the same message.

Thin Privilege posted:

I assume it's really hard to control kids regarding lovely people online, maybe they should make internet safety a class or at least a few week module in school, I dunno. :/ :( <-- that's definitely a first world problem.

I wish they would teach stuff like this, too, but they barely teach any practical or comprehensive real-world knowledge as it is :v:

I think I learned how to write a check once. but they should teach about taxes and more information on jobs and poo poo if that's really what they're supposedly pushing for in this capitalistic hellhole

also better sex ed maybe

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

The only cough drops left are the ones with a gooey menthol center and they work but they're nasty.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
We have similar cough sweets in the UK but the gooey bit is lemon so they taste pretty good while also working. Terribly sugary feeling though - really coats the mouth.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

They're cherry. At least that's what the package says.

After reading your post, I could really go for a lemon bar right now. But it'd probably get stuck in my sore throat and I'd die and become someone's holiday FWP (or AUG depending on time elapsed).

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

one of my friends in high school gave me a pink lemonade cough drop when i was sick and i have never been able to find them in stores :argh:

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
Why isn't the GTA font copyrighted?

E: why isn't this lovely xfinity app programmed to give me similar shows when I hit recommended? My ex husband, years ago, watched football once and now it just gives me football!!! And other sports recommendations. I exclusively watch trash tv, real life drama (Hoarders etc) and the like, 24/7, so how does one viewing of a sports even influence my recommendations? Yes I know the answer: it's Comcast, they're being paid off, etc etc etc but it's so annoying that I'm not getting legitimate recommendations.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 03:56 on Dec 24, 2017

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

The furry hot water bottle sitting on my chest moves around and digs in his claws if I cough.

Better deterrent than those nasty-rear end cough drops I guess.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
it's too cold outside to go out of the comfortable little bubble of being either in the room, in the bmw, or in the factory working

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I had incredibly vivid nightmares last night that made me feel MORE tired than when I went to sleep, and kinda have me on edge today.

The FWP is that they involved the animatronics from Five Nights at Freddy's stalking around my workplace and trying to kill people, and I had to save them before the animatronics attacked them, but if I want to whine about the nightmare to anyone I have to explain why a mangled robotic chicken is actually terrifying :saddowns:

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Thin Privilege posted:

My building is old so I can't control the temperature in my apartment. They turn the heat down super low, to like 60, during the night, and in the morning (like 7-8 am) they turn it in FULL BLAST so it's like 100 degrees and I'm sweating for like 2 hours until it stabilizes to 75/76. It's so cold right now I'm loving shivering.

I have to quote myself because I have no idea what my building is doing but it's seriously FREEZING in here. I wish I had a thermometer so I could complain. I'm in bed under a thick blanket in my wool socks and I'm still cold. It's at minimum 50 degrees, possibly lower. The fact that my windows face a place where the wind congregates is a factor, so they really should consider this when setting up the heat because there's more than 100 units that are susceptible to this, which is well over 75% of the building.

E: got up to use bathroom; gently caress it's cold. As one good said before, not being able to control your heat is not a first world problem but instead is a third world problem.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 05:37 on Dec 26, 2017

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

You're renting?
That poo poo sounds illegal.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Had to sell something for far, far less than it's worth because no-one in this shithole is willing to pay a remotely fair price for anything but I'm moving and I can't possibly take it with me. :sigh:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Did you know taking too much fiber is just as bad as not taking any?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
My dad actually behaved himself at Christmas this year:toot:

Instead, the one ruining the mood was my niece being an ungrateful little poo poo :sigh:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I have to post ads around our apartments to try to sell our old couch and washer/dryer before we move. I hope I can at least get a few bucks for them. I'd rather not just throw everything out.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
i started a new job at the end of november, it required moving to a new town. its a nice small town but now im off work until the 3rd and i know pretty much nobody. im so bored i am literally doing lynda.com training for work at home.

its paid time for the holiday, this is the most first world a problem can be i think

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Christmas is over, and my wife had to go back to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
the post+name combo implies youre hiding something