Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

newtestleper posted:

Does anyone know why there's never been a cycle of simple enter the board untapped, non-typed dual lands?

They seem like they'd be extremely printable and wouldn't unbalance standard or modern.

they don't want to print lands that are better then basics, and just because they're untyped doesn't mean they aren't better then basics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

newtestleper posted:

Does anyone know why there's never been a cycle of simple enter the board untapped, non-typed dual lands?

They seem like they'd be extremely printable and wouldn't unbalance standard or modern.

Because that is too good. Not as good as fetches/shocks, but still too good.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

forbidden lesbian posted:

they don't want to print lands that are better then basics, and just because they're untyped doesn't mean they aren't better then basics

There's an obvious solution to make the basic distinction important :getin:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah the creature/burn mono-red deck feels pretty good now, the introduction of Wild Slash and the dash goblins was enough to put it over the top. Zurgo and Roast both seem like very good tools for the deck. I'm not 100% sure on Dragon Fodder, I might use it instead of Hordeling Outburst out of curve considerations but I feel like running both is just too bad against Bile Blight.

qbert posted:

Yeah the card's great and will definitely be the most played of the new Commands. I'm not entirely sold on playing it main, but there will definitely be multiples in my sideboard.
It seems pretty maindeckable to me, and I find it kindof concerning that Abzan is getting such a powerful tool against pretty much all the aggressive decks in the format. It's a ridiculous beating vs RDW (counters burn spells, eats creatures), RW (counters burn spells, eats creatures, kills Chained/Siege) and Jeskai (counters burn spells, eats creatures, hits Ascendancy in some builds). The fact that it's main deck enchantment hate also makes it strong against a lot of Gx builds, and the ability to counter Claws/kill Courser makes it fine vs Gr as well.

It's pretty bad in control matchups of course, but that's true of any cheap creature removal and it's at least not completely dead there. I think it's so good at shoring up the matchup vs aggressive decks that it will allow Abzan to include more answers to control elsewhere.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

newtestleper posted:

Because Wizards doesn't print cards that are strictly better than basic lands, which is why they stopped printing the ABU Duals in the first place.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Angry Grimace posted:

Because Wizards doesn't print cards that are strictly better than basic lands, which is why they stopped printing the ABU Duals in the first place.

And another dagger thrust sinks deep into the necrotic flesh of the phrase "strictly better"

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

JerryLee posted:

And another dagger thrust sinks deep into the necrotic flesh of the phrase "strictly better"

Second part of the argument is correct, ABU duals ARE strictly better than basics (excepting the obvious "can only have 4 of them"). The first one is arguable at least, since a land that can produce more than one colour of mana without an actual drawback (yes, they can't be fetched, that is a metagame thing and not applicable when comparing card-to-card) IS strictly better than a basic.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Actually the original design of the ABU duals is that the typed line is the drawback! You get exposed to all sorts of nasty cards!

I'm sure some other dinosaur will tell us a tale of how he got, I don't know, Acid Rain'd out of a game back in 1996 or something.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Choke hits Tundra. Tundra is strictly worse than Plains.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Serperoth posted:

ABU duals ARE strictly better than basics (excepting the obvious "can only have 4 of them")

Still wrong.

Spiderdrake posted:

Actually the original design of the ABU duals is that the typed line is the drawback! You get exposed to all sorts of nasty cards!

I'm sure some other dinosaur will tell us a tale of how he got, I don't know, Acid Rain'd out of a game back in 1996 or something.

Acid Rain might not be relevant anymore but Blood Moon, Wasteland etc. absolutely are. If ABUR duals were strictly better than there would be no reason whatsoever to ever fetch for a basic if there were duals left in your library, so the 'strictly better' claim is immediately falsified by the fact that players strategically do just that all the goddamn time.

(Please note, I am still just being pedantic here because folks didn't want to just let my original joke lie, so please don't try to spin this into me saying that duals are worse than basics overall, or whatever.)

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

JerryLee posted:

Still wrong.

Acid Rain might not be relevant anymore but Blood Moon, Wasteland etc. absolutely are. If ABUR duals were strictly better than there would be no reason whatsoever to ever fetch for a basic if there were duals left in your library, so the 'strictly better' claim is immediately falsified by the fact that players strategically do just that all the goddamn time.

(Please note, I am still just being pedantic here because folks didn't want to just let my original joke lie, so please don't try to spin this into me saying that duals are worse than basics overall, or whatever.)

Pedantic is fine, but "strictly better" means that it is unhindered by metagame (which Blood Moon and Wasteland and whatnot are part of). I've been wanting to write a post about what would be STRICTLY better. Like Lightning Bolt/Shock/Searing Spear. Bolt is better than both, but the other two are not strictly better than worse than one another.

Sorry for not getting your joke, by the way.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

they should have made relentless rats a basic creature

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If you define "strictly better" in that way then you'll find that pretty much no card is strictly better than any other card and the term becomes worthless. Counterspell isn't strictly better than Cancel, Counterspell gets hit by Spell Snare! Lightning Bolt isn't strictly better than Lightning Strike, it can be hit by Mental Misstep! Mindslaver! Muraganda Petroglyphs! Chalice of the Void!

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Serperoth posted:

Pedantic is fine, but "strictly better" means that it is unhindered by metagame (which Blood Moon and Wasteland and whatnot are part of). I've been wanting to write a post about what would be STRICTLY better. Like Lightning Bolt/Shock/Searing Spear. Bolt is better than both, but the other two are not strictly better than worse than one another.

Lightning bolt is countered by Chalice of the Void, which is a part of the metagame.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

If you define "strictly better" in that way then you'll find that pretty much no card is strictly better than any other card and the term becomes worthless. Counterspell isn't strictly better than Cancel, Counterspell gets hit by Spell Snare! Lightning Bolt isn't strictly better than Lightning Strike, it can be hit by Mental Misstep! Mindslaver! Muraganda Petroglyphs! Chalice of the Void!

One might conclude here that we should stop saying 'strictly better' when we mean 'better'.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Pretty much my point, thanks. :)

Actually, would there be interest in the "Strictly Better" post I mentioned? With examples, points of comparison, and so forth?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Serperoth posted:

Lightning Bolt isn't strictly better than Shock because what if you have Hitedsugu's Second Rite in hand and your opponent has 12 life? :frog:

And don't get me started on Searing Spear. Ever heard of Mental Misstep? :frogout:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It takes a lot of effort to find a case where you'd rather have cancel in your hand than stoic rebuttal that doesn't involve mindslaver shenanigans.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Attorney at Funk posted:

One might conclude here that we should stop saying 'strictly better' when we mean 'better'.
It would be strictly better to not type more words that mean the same thing but worse, yes.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

It takes a lot of effort to find a case where you'd rather have cancel in your hand than stoic rebuttal that doesn't involve mindslaver shenanigans.
It seems fairly possible if an opponent is playing Sen Triplets in EDH.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah, even if you can contrive those situations, there's definitely a difference between things that come up a nontrivial amount in actual play and therefore cause tension, vs. the (intentionally) absurd cases that are much closer to the level of pure hypotheticals.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Reprint Price of Progress :getin:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Yeah the creature/burn mono-red deck feels pretty good now, the introduction of Wild Slash and the dash goblins was enough to put it over the top. Zurgo and Roast both seem like very good tools for the deck. I'm not 100% sure on Dragon Fodder, I might use it instead of Hordeling Outburst out of curve considerations but I feel like running both is just too bad against Bile Blight.

Outburst + Stoke is really good, too.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Angry Grimace posted:

Lightning Bolt isn't strictly better than Shock because what if you have Hitedsugu's Second Rite in hand and your opponent has 12 life? :frog:

And don't get me started on Searing Spear. Ever heard of Mental Misstep? :frogout:

Oh, oh, oh! Can I say it again? I love doing this whenever this dumb topic comes up!

Judge's Familiar is strictly better than Curse Catcher!

gently caress you all, and :frogout:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

Oh, oh, oh! Can I say it again? I love doing this whenever this dumb topic comes up!

Dies to Anarchy. :colbert:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

AlternateNu posted:

Nuh uh, gets hit by Combust and Glare of Heresy! And Leaf Arrow!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
There's also the matter of creature types. Judge's Familiar doesn't get pumped by Master of the Pearl Trident nor does it play well with Azami, Lady of Scrolls.

What I'm saying is strictly better isn't strictly defined.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The formatting of the MODO Championships is hilarious. 3 rounds Vintage, 4 rounds Modern on Friday, 3 rounds DTK/DTK/FRF draft, 4 rounds Standard on Saturday, cut to top four, then Standard semifinals into a Vintage/Modern/Standard (if needed) finals.

Holy poo poo that owns.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Meddling Mage. There.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

AlternateNu posted:

Merfolk rule, Birds drool.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Islands are strictly better than Forests.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
I am glad I have sworn off trading in person. I don't have to lug my big binder around, have every person go "interested in your Dark Confidants" and hand me a binder full of garbage.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

qbert posted:

Islands are strictly better than Forests.

Which is strictly better? An Island or a theoretical red/green untyped untapped dual?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Sotar posted:

I am glad I have sworn off trading in person. I don't have to lug my big binder around, have every person go "interested in your Dark Confidants" and hand me a binder full of garbage.

You should be playing your Dark Confidants! :cry:

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

You should be playing your Dark Confidants! :cry:

No room in Junk.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
Besides I am not going to trade them unless I get some good Legacy things.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Sotar posted:

Whoa there, you forgot the part where they look up every card on their phone one by one to make sure they're getting the better end of the deal.

I mean, I get doing that when there's actually valuable cards involved, but when you're trying to evaluate me offering you an Agrus Kos for a Future Sight and you refuse because Agrus is 45 cents to Future Sight's 50 cents gently caress you with a thorny stick.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Eric Froelich is cursed with his Dredge deck. He's sitting on a pretty easy T3 win and then his opponent has several bouts of great luck to assemble Gush Bond with Yawgmoth's Will active and gets tendriled out.

Edit: After losing last week to LSV with what LSV declared a 0% chance to win match for him.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

newtestleper posted:

Which is strictly better? An Island or a theoretical red/green untyped untapped dual?

Well considering Island is better than any actual dual land that doesn't produce blue mana...Island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

The Lord of Hats posted:

Whoa there, you forgot the part where they look up every card on their phone one by one to make sure they're getting the better end of the deal.

I mean, I get doing that when there's actually valuable cards involved, but when you're trying to evaluate me offering you an Agrus Kos for a Future Sight and you refuse because Agrus is 45 cents to Future Sight's 50 cents gently caress you with a thorny stick.

Oh my god that too. Basically I am done with trading that isn't on PucaTrade and occasionally the thread on here.

• Locked thread