Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

I Before E posted:

Oh go stand in the place where you live about it

You're just jealous because you're not a shiny, happy person like I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I like the yeah yeah yeah yeah song because I never remember the words but I know when to say yeah yeah yeah yeah

Sure you're not thinking of the Flaming Lips?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR5xTgMwpiM

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Budgie Jumping posted:

You shut your mouth about R.E.M.

Dude, I like R.E.M., even the songs I'm not supposed to like, apparently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YucQLaJmcPI

glam rock hamhock posted:

I've never it but Master of Disguise's names must be really unique becausr it's seems to have endured, even if it's only as a punchline, unusually long in the cultural consciousness

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Coaaab posted:

I distinctly remember watching this movie one night on nbc as a kid and I really only remember it because I couldn't exactly follow the plot, and my dad made Carvey's character's name an in-joke to himself because he just thought it was so darn peculiar, and also there was the disproportionately hot love interest.

Two disproportionately hot love interests.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

K. Waste posted:

Dude, I like R.E.M., even the songs I'm not supposed to like, apparently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YucQLaJmcPI

It was just you lumping them in with those other two that seemed over-harsh.

This owns.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

REM, like U2, is one of those bands that used to be the coolest thing in the world and now are sort of the lamest thing in the world.

As I write this, I am putting a bar of soap in a sock and looking for a convenient dark alley near where you live.

When I was younger I loved US and REM. Now (a good 20! years on) my ardour for U2 has almost entirely diminished (I can't recall the last time I actively sought out a U2 song), but I still listen to REM all the loving time, because they are great. That's not to say that they don't have some annoying songs (which tend to be the ones which are best known) but they have so many which are still just brilliant. So you shut your whore mouth!

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I'll stan for all of U2 from Boy up to the second half of The Joshua Tree.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
U2 is my designated "band I irrationally hate". I don't like any of their songs, I don't like their sound, I don't like Bono in the slightest, I don't even like their album names. Or the band name in general. They are terrible. :colbert:

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Achtung Baby is pretty decent

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

REM's first few albums are incredible, but Stand is a cloying piece of poo poo.

Counterpoint: Stand is great and Green is the best R.E.M. album

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

K. Waste posted:

lovely music you like update: Besides Coheed & Cambria, another band whose music lends itself really well to Vitamin String Quartet's mediocrity is R.E.M.

REM isn't lovely, you're nuts. Coheed is extremely lovely, or extremely great, no in between.

REM, like U2, is one of those bands that used to be the coolest thing in the world and now are sort of the lamest thing in the world.

U2 was never cool

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

DeimosRising posted:

U2 was never cool

Yes, they were.

First bad movie I can remember seeing is Robot Jox. The cool model robots and pretty lady's naked butt was not enough to obscure the badness.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
U2 was decent up until 1997's Pop. It was the last album that truly felt like they were pushing their boundaries.

The turning point for U2 was their first signed after Pop, The Sweetest Thing. It was included on their Greatest Hits of the eighties album and marketed as a lost deep cut from that era, despite sounding like the late 90s trite that it was.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Encino Man: so bad or so bad it's good?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Counterpoint: Stand is great and Green is the best R.E.M. album

What the hell, man

DeimosRising posted:

U2 was never cool

Wrong
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FsrPEUt2Dg

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I had a dream last night that Arnold Schwarzenegger was my dad and we were in a family version of American Gladiators that quickly became us fighting murder hobos who were biologically enhanced using our own Guyver suits

Every part of it would have made the best movie

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Best U2 performance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TxXRfaKJo8&t=2989s

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

What the hell, man

Nothing wrong with that song unless you're just predisposed against anything catchy. Not the best song on the album, but perfectly fine.

Shiny Happy People, that one I won't really defend.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I had a dream last night that Arnold Schwarzenegger was my dad and we were in a family version of American Gladiators that quickly became us fighting murder hobos who were biologically enhanced using our own Guyver suits

Every part of it would have made the best movie

I had a dream where I was about to gently caress my ex and then I realized there was a giant window and everyone could see me in my underwear

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Coffee And Pie posted:

I had a dream where I was about to gently caress my ex and then I realized there was a giant window and everyone could see me in my underwear

there was literally a part where, while fighting superhuman murder hobos in this batshit insane setting, i hit one of them with a metal bat hard enough to bend it and he complained that i hit him too hard

it was a fuckin 80s action movie but also american gladiators

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Coffee And Pie posted:

The window is the GenChat thread.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

The best U2 song is a parody of U2's songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhTMVQuGAdw

Also Dickeye's probably thinking of REM's Man on the Moon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hKSYgOGtos

Also add me to the club of people who realized movies could be bad thanks to The Master of Disguise and jesus wow that brownface, I totally forgot that was in that movie.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Had a dream about a butt-ugly snake devouring some animal and it looked gross and scary and I woke kicking at my blanket because I thought the snake was in the blanket. And it was. I'm inside a snake, help.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Grendels Dad posted:

Had a dream about a butt-ugly snake devouring some animal and it looked gross and scary and I woke kicking at my blanket because I thought the snake was in the blanket. And it was. I'm inside a snake, help.

Is it a pink snake with one eye?

I think that there is a lot of good music in U2 up to Achtung Baby; I just don't really want to listen to it anymore.

I also used to like Manic Street Preachers, and now I can't imagine what I liked in their music.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm not really speaking of the quality of U2 or REM's music, more if they are cool or lame. U2 is definitely the lamer one, with Bono's Bononess, the light adult contemporary feel of their later albums and the whole Apple thing. They also used to be the far bigger of the two and really as hard as it is to remember they were one of the bigger and cooler bands in the world

REM have just sort of faded. The problem with being the original college rock band is that your base grows up and you either keep trying to push the same thing your entire life like Weezer or you just become less and less relevant until your just sort of a hit of nostalgia for your former audience. Like I'm not saying REM are bad, just lame. Like, the song they have that has stayed most used is "The End of the World as We Know It" which these days thanks to its insane on the nose and also often unaware overuse carries all the coolness and weight of All-Star.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
And we now have a woman that has never experienced a public school in her life, never been involved in education on a professional level, hates teacher's unions, loves charter schools and thinks bear attacks are problems in schools as the US education Secretary. This is going to be fun

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Short of the Day
Summer's Puke is Winter's Delight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKiU9otpIO0
Warning: Extremely :nws: and :nms: in ways that are hard to really explain with words.

Basically this is a psychedelic as gently caress kind of funky tribute to bulimia. It's both awesome and horrific.

Bumping this. It is indeed funky, awesome, and horrific. Not as gross as you might fear, unless you really, really hate puke noises.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

thinks bear attacks are problems in schools

Well, let's be fair. She doesn't think bear attacks are a problem in schools, she's just an inept bullshit artist.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
When does Sessions get confirmed? Are did it already happen?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

I'm not really speaking of the quality of U2 or REM's music, more if they are cool or lame. U2 is definitely the lamer one, with Bono's Bononess, the light adult contemporary feel of their later albums and the whole Apple thing. They also used to be the far bigger of the two and really as hard as it is to remember they were one of the bigger and cooler bands in the world

REM have just sort of faded. The problem with being the original college rock band is that your base grows up and you either keep trying to push the same thing your entire life like Weezer or you just become less and less relevant until your just sort of a hit of nostalgia for your former audience. Like I'm not saying REM are bad, just lame. Like, the song they have that has stayed most used is "The End of the World as We Know It" which these days thanks to its insane on the nose and also often unaware overuse carries all the coolness and weight of All-Star.

I think the songs that they are best known for are often lame, but those don't represent, to me, what they are about or their music. And as their career progressed so did the music, from album to album; they didn't stay still. Some albums are better than others but every one has at least a few outstanding songs.

PS Don't think your back-pedaling is going to save you from a soapy-sock beating.

And we now have a woman that has never experienced a public school in her life, never been involved in education on a professional level, hates teacher's unions, loves charter schools and thinks bear attacks are problems in schools as the US education Secretary. This is going to be fun

It's absolutely hideous. So disgusting that the Senate voted for her when she is so clearly incompetent for that role.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The synth is the best thing to happen to horror scores, y/y, discuss

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Death By The Blues posted:

When does Sessions get confirmed? Are did it already happen?

If they couldn't stop DeVos they aren't gunna stop any of them.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I had a roommate in college who didn't understand piracy and had a Coheed and Cambria album which was the only album he owned and he played it on repeat constantly. I will never give Coheed and Cambria a fair shake, ever, gently caress them.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Lurdiak posted:

I remember that embarrassing point where I was savvy enough to get that the live action Batman show was stupid, but too dumb to understand it was supposed to be. I just thought TV had come really far since the 60s.

Exact same with me. I used to watch it I when I was 10 or so and just make fun of it to no end. I distinctly remember the sense of intellectual superiority I felt when I'd point out the cheesy lines and ridiculous scenarios. It's funny what maturity and experience does to one's perspective.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Imagine a lot of people here being a fan of Panic at the Disco, when they were younger.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I was very into Coheed in high school which I find somewhat embarrassing now but Delirium Trigger still goes pretty hard.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
While I liked Coheed at the time, I had friends that played the albums non stop, repeating the same song over and over again at times. When whatever album came out that had Gravediggers and Gunslingers on it a buddy of mine blasted the opening 30 seconds of the song over and over again.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
My embarrassing youth album pick was definitely the summer I spent washing dishes and listening to a whole lot of the first Flobots album. Even then I could recognize that it was corny and that their politics were juvenile, but I stayed playing it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Most of these "embarassing" picks are pretty tame, honestly. I mean, I went through a Combichrist phase, and that's not even the worst of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
That Handlebars song is dumb, but it was worth it to hear a kid explain that it was really about self-empowerment, that you can do anything if you want to!

• Locked thread