Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

esperterra posted:

Just end me now, fam.
No Big Ed is severely hampering my ability to enjoy this season myself. Lynch is a FRAUD!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Hack fraud!!!

Forreal tho I've been loving every episode of this season, I'm just surprised how long it has taken for some of these characters to show up.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Audrey, Ed, all of the gang we haven't seen aren't going to do poo poo until the final episode, where Cooper realizes it's ok for him to exist in a world where he does have to pilot the....I mean be in the FBI and that his life has meaning as long as he can learn to love himself as Dougie Jones. Then the black lodge vanishes and the whole cast is surrounding him on a giant cherry pie, clapping and telling him congratulations.

Then everyone will be so lovely we'll get The End of Twin Peaks where a 500 mile tall nude Laura Palmer third impacts everyone who didn't like Season 3.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I can dig it.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Donna's two actresses show up and have a catfight over which one is the real one and which is the doppelgänger.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Donna's two actresses show up. Moira Kelly is the doppelganger, but nobody believes Lara Flynn Boyle's Donna saying she's the real one b/c her face is hosed.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I really don't think it is all going to... um, coalesce, or make sense truly until it's all over and done. In fact, I'm very much hoping that it gets a great deal less linear and more experimental.

I am not at all anxious for "stuff to happen", though. I think we've had more than enough plot advancement, lately. The scenes and moments that I tend to find the most moving are the unexpected, lyrical, and dreamlike moments. Cooper standing by the statue while the credits roll. Becky in the convertible. Hawk in a reverie, listening to Margaret free-associate in the last episode. Bobby hurling the tube his father left for him into the pavement out of nowhere, and joyfully running after it and then coming back, holding it to his ear with a grin on his face. Mr C's dead-cold black fish-eyes staring expressionlessly at Diane in close-up. Cooper and Sonny-Jim going back and forth the clap-on/clap-off light. Gordon Cole, reclining and whistling tunelessly in his office. Nearly everything in Episode 8.

But seriously guys, we really should not miss the forest for the trees here, and start getting greedy. I sincerely cannot remember the last time I was privileged enough to get to watch a show this good as it aired. I think that, like much of Lynch's work, this series is only going to wind up being more and more appreciated. I mean... it truly does depend on how it ends, but Lynch is not really known for disappointing endings - quite the contrary, in fact. If episode 8 is anything to go by, I have full confidence in his ability to make something ultimately really exceptional and special out of all this.

So I suppose I am just saying... appreciate these episodes for what they are, not what they are not. Sure, it'll be fantastic when we finally see Big Ed, or Audrey Horne. And we will see them. But don't let it hinder your enjoyment of the show, or the episode. Just keep remembering that the sheer existence of this in such a perfectly realized form is TRULY a minor miracle, and we'll never see a great and iconic TV show brought back *so long* after its original release in such a manner ever again. And if it does happen I wouldn't expect it to even approach something like this is in terms of quality.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I mean, The Leftovers is still the better show this year so far

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

Yeah, I enjoy TP week to week, but if we look back at the whole season and "real Dale" ends up only appearing in the last 2-3 episodes, I'll feel like the whole comeback was a large missed opportunity. What story did David Lynch really want to tell with "Dougie" by spending so much time with him?

He wanted to tell the story of Mr. Jackpots, op.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

I mean, The Leftovers is still the better show this year so far

I find art to be pretty subjective myself, but to each their own.

In my subjective opinion, I don't even think it's fair to compare them. The Leftovers seems piecemeal and inconsistent when compared to TP: The Return. As it should, given the different writers and directors that it utilized through its third season and overall run. And that's normal, and fine. TP is just doing something fairly new and different (I seem to recall True Detective S1 used the same method to great effect).

Or maybe I just naturally dislike deeply cynical shows, because I feel they fundamentally misunderstand human nature and inadvertently reveal a deep contempt for their characters; this is why I don't watch Fargo much, for example.

One of the things I truly adore about Lynch is that he's not at *all* a cynic, in spite of the extremely heavy subject matter his work often deals with. There's a lightness and optimism even in the darkest episodes of Twin Peaks (both then and now) and I've always felt that it's a special thing that distinguishes it from a lot of the shows that it later inspired.

I guess I'm especially bothered by talk of The Leftovers because it is just *so* loving emotionally devastating and depressing that I cannot think of a single episode that made me feel "good" or made me feel... hopeful. It may be great television, but I feel sincerely sorry for anyone who would flatly state "the leftovers is a better show this year" before TP has even finished airing 2/3 of its material.

I really mean that genuinely, I am sorry and wish there was something I could do :(

kaworu fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 23, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahahaha great

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

hahahaha great

No, it's actually kind of upsetting and worrying. Are you OK? I hope you have a good psychiatrist and therapist.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

kaworu posted:

Just keep remembering that the sheer existence of this in such a perfectly realized form is TRULY a minor miracle, and we'll never see a great and iconic TV show brought back *so long* after its original release in such a manner ever again.
But more than half the new season has been stripped of it's iconography. The icon of Dale Cooper is not going to return till the last episode or two probably. Besides Cole and Albert, what iconic characters have gotten significant time? Sure we got them good ol' Twin Peaks sheriffs but even that feels secondary and we're two episodes away from the two-thirds mark. I'm not saying the season is complete poo poo, but it's a total joke claiming we got back to our "great and iconic TV show".

Zmej fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 23, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kaworu posted:

No, it's actually kind of upsetting and worrying. Are you OK? I hope you have a good psychiatrist and therapist.

I really don't see Leftovers as a miserable or negative show at all after the first season tbh

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Zmej posted:

But more than half the new season has been stripped of it's iconography. The icon of Dale Cooper is not going to return till the last episode or two probably. Besides Cole and Albert, what iconic characters have gotten significant time? Sure we got them good ol' Twin Peaks sheriffs but even that feels secondary and we're two episodes away the two-thirds mark. I'm not saying the season is complete poo poo, but it's a total joke claiming we got back to our "great and iconic TV show".

I suppose it depends on what made Twin Peaks iconic, for you. To me, it was the sense of visual style, the pacing, the tenor and feel of the show. And that seems to still be all there.

And iconography, if we want to get technical, refers more to imagery much moreso than content. And we've had more iconic Twin Peaks imagery in this reboot than you can shake a stick at; The Red Room, the Roadhouse, Kyle Maclachlan in the black suit, Kyle Maclachlan drinking coffee, Kyle Maclachlan giving a thumbs-up, static shots of telephone poles and traffic lights set to eerie sounds/music. Violence existing beneath the genteel facade of a pleasant small town.... etc, erc,,,,

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I guess having characters and a story with actual momentum means gently caress-all to you then lol

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The season does have momentum, though. Arguably even moreso in the latest episodes as more things start converging. Sure it's taking a long time for Coop to return to normal (assuming he ever does), but the Dougie story is still moving forward.

Maybe you're just impatient.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I would argue that what makes this season different than the old show is that there's more than one main plot thread competing with all of the usual side stories. What I think made Twin Peaks fit so nicely in its groove was that it had one main plot thread: figuring out who the gosh darn heck killed Laura Palmer. Everything else was a series of side stories about the townsfolk and their own personal lives. This season does that, but also throws a couple other disconnected main plot threads into the mix, and having two or three more of those just crowds things.

Art Alexakis
Mar 27, 2008

kaworu posted:

I've been reading your posts. And you got a screw loose, brother.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

kaworu posted:

I suppose it depends on what made Twin Peaks iconic, for you. To me, it was the sense of visual style, the pacing, the tenor and feel of the show. And that seems to still be all there.

I'm a big fan of the new season but outside of a few scenes I don't think it has the pacing or tenor of the other seasons at all. I don't think that's bad, and in fact I like that the old show, the movie, and The Return all feel very different. Some people won't like that change and that's reasonable.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Zmej posted:

But more than half the new season has been stripped of it's iconography. The icon of Dale Cooper is not going to return till the last episode or two probably. Besides Cole and Albert, what iconic characters have gotten significant time? Sure we got them good ol' Twin Peaks sheriffs but even that feels secondary and we're two episodes away from the two-thirds mark. I'm not saying the season is complete poo poo, but it's a total joke claiming we got back to our "great and iconic TV show".

Bad Coop, Dougie, Ike the Spike and Wally "Brando" Brennan are pretty iconic characters imho. Sometimes it's okay to experience new things.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Like a nice green tea latte!

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

I think we can all agree that this season has been illustrative in showing the audience dynamics that hosed the show the first time around. The upside is that they were removed from consideration this time. The system of passive aggressively hissing at creators now has nothing to do because the project is immune to the pressure the first seasons had to deal with.

I find it odd that people were excited to see what "Lynch did untethered" and now have endless opinions that imply distrust/disinterest, when the appeal was that those coercive factors wouldn't be in place this time.

I also think people need more positive influences in their lives if a lack of Cooper is causing such an upset. No Cooper for 26-27 years and apparently waiting a little longer is just too much for some people, so they start making up bullshit critiques about the effect it has on the structure and layout of a series of 18 panels -1/4 of which aren't flipped over yet.

No one should be proud of tugging on the elephants trunk blind and yelling smugly "look at this fuckin snake!"
And yet.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Bad Coop, Dougie, Ike the Spike and Wally "Brando" Brennan are pretty iconic characters imho. Sometimes it's okay to experience new things.
Those are no where near the "iconic" of Coop, Andy, Truman, or Pete, who had emotions, motivations, arcs, and some fuzzy-feel-goods. All the ones you listed are all shallow. I'm fine with the new guys. They all have a little touches that I like, but they don't fill the screen up like those old guys.

Zmej fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 24, 2017

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

well at least they kept the iconic rape stuff

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

didnt expect janey-e to be the main villain but here we are

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Turdfuzz posted:

well at least they kept the iconic rape stuff
lol

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I like a lot of things about the new season, just without the central narrative I'm getting bored. I'll still tune in, but overall I think there are. A lot of missed opportunities.

And at some point, there is no point callling it twin peaks anymore except to get people to tune in.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I think this is genuinely a milestone of TV history. It's the master statement of one of the most interesting, unique and acclaimed directors around, and I can't wait for more of it. It's just so good.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Art Alexakis posted:

I've been reading your posts. And you got a screw loose, brother.

Gosh, thanks for going out of the way to tell me that.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

J_RBG posted:

I think this is genuinely a milestone of TV history. It's the master statement of one of the most interesting, unique and acclaimed directors around, and I can't wait for more of it. It's just so good.

yeah it's good. Time to watch a new episode of Twin Peaks in a couple minutes

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I want nothing but 1 full hour of Dougie Jones eating cake

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's up on Showtime.

Grocer Goodwill
Jul 17, 2003

Not just one kind of bread, but a whole variety.
You people streaming the show are missing out on the endless promos for that "I'm Dying Up here" show that no one wants to watch.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Any time this show has shown a road and a child since that episode I've been terrified

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

lol if he gets hit

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

There's fire where you are going :flame:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Lol get hosed Richard

MullardEL34