Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

My buddy got one and loves it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

trilobite terror posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apyTlND9Cuo

Berm Peak Seth tried it last year and seemed to like it. The inventor of bar-ends is in the comments giving the dude props

that isn't the guy telling people to not even talk to him unless they have "a portfolio" is it

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

Cactus Ghost posted:

that isn't the guy telling people to not even talk to him unless they have "a portfolio" is it

No, that's notorious internet moron Peter Verdone.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Just got back from five days in Finale Ligure...

Finale looks awesome, any more specifics on how it compares to B.C.? Watching videos of the trails in Finale they seem like a lot of natural tech, but not a lot in terms of big features like rock rolls, etc.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

pinarello dogman posted:

Finale looks awesome, any more specifics on how it compares to B.C.? Watching videos of the trails in Finale they seem like a lot of natural tech, but not a lot in terms of big features like rock rolls, etc.

Yeah not heaps of big technical features that I saw; almost no wood features like you'd see in BC. Disclaimer, I've not ridden the North Shore/Squamish, all my BC riding is Kamloops/Kelowna and further East like Fernie/Invermere/Golden/Revelstoke.

Trails in Finale are odd coming from BC. They don't use any trail signage at all, and their rating system is S0-S5 instead of Green/Blue/Black/Double like we use here. S2 is roughly a blue (although I saw stuff on S2s that would never fly on a blue in Canada) and S3 is roughly black, maybe with a couple features that might bump it to double black; things are fuzzy. They also have a habit of building trails that will be S2 until halfway down and swap to S3. Combine this with the complete lack of signage and you get things like "an easy blue flow trail that suddenly has a steep-rear end rock chute into a mandatory drop" which can easily catch you out. Hiring a guide until you get acquainted with the area is highly recommended IMO.

It's also different in that you're not starting at a trailhead, climbing up a fire road and then riding a down track all the way back. Most of the rides you're going to take a shuttle up from town about 30 minutes, and then you ride from the top. After about 200-300m of elevation you'll typically hit a road and then either climb back up to where you were and ride another trail down, or you're riding down the road a couple minutes and linking up with another trail. The actual distance from base NATO (where most runs start) back to Finale Ligure or Finalborgo where the shuttles leave from is like 22k and almost 1000m of descending, but the last third or so will normally be on the road.

There's all kinds of little villages scattered in the area, so if you know the trails you can do a couple short laps, drop down to a village for a coffee and lunch, then continue stringing little trails and shortcuts together back to the true bottom to catch the next shuttle. There's a huge outdoor hub in Finalborgo where shuttles from various companies run every hour on the hour for ~10 euros. I typically did a shuttle to the top in the morning, rode around until I was hungry and then one more shuttle in the afternoon to get some more pedal/short laps in.

Overall, I really enjoyed it! There are loads of great riders, the trails are largely well-maintained, and the terrain and views are sweet. I'd happily go back a week or two each year if flights weren't so expensive. Staying in town is actually pretty cheap if you want it to be, loads of hostels/airbnbs/vacation rentals that are clearly aimed at dirtbag bikers with prices to match.

They have a really interesting funding model to capture some of the value that all the tourism generates for trail maintenance. There's a "For You" card that you buy when you arrive for 5 euros, which goes towards the trails, but then it has a QR code on the back that most of the shops and restaurants will scan for you, and it tracks your spending and donates 2.5% to the trail maintenance organizations. They also have a sort of loyalty rewards thing associated with it where you can use the points to buy gear but I wasn't there long enough to accumulate any significant points.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Got some new handlebars because they seemed neat

There was nothing particularly wrong with my I9 stem and raceface bars (well, aside from a few crashes), which even had TI bolts, but I like buying dumb poo poo apparently. And also they save a little weight over the previous stuff. Tires are getting changed soon along with cranks for lighter stuff too. Anyway, I haven't been riding this bike much lately because the fork feels a little off after I took apart the damper myself but was pretty sure I very carefully laid everything out and put it back exactly as it was so I dunno. It's a bunch of fiddly poo poo and maybe I have something wrong with the compression shim stack because it feels too harsh. All the knobs and such work properly though and the adjuster knob and plate deal kind of only go together one way

Anyhow, I swapped the old grip damper in and it does definitely feel better but also i dropped a couple psi. At some point I'll take the fit4 damper apart and try again I guess.

The ridgeline of one of my favorite local loops just reopened the other day and my friend wanted to go ride it after work but then had something come up, plus it wws rainy this morning and most of the day and cold and maybe snowing higher up. B the afternoon it had cleared up and I had a jacket so I went and did it. Cold though. only like 35 on top of the mountain.

Bike is feeling good. stuffed some extra foam along the housings so it seems to rattle less and the cold air lowered my tire and shock pressures a bit from where they were so everything was pretty smooth and cushy. Trails were a little damp and grippy. Might just have to start at lower tire pressures actually. Set a pr on one of the descents. Then I got tacos

https://www.strava.com/activities/11435701803/

jamal fucked around with this message at 06:23 on May 18, 2024

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
that looks super clean

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Blessed with a (partially) overcast day in may? Incredible.

The saguaros are blooming; stop, smell the flowers and pay respects to the giants.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Russian Bear posted:

Blessed with a (partially) overcast day in may? Incredible.

The saguaros are blooming; stop, smell the flowers and pay respects to the giants.

I bet you deal with a lot of lovely, hot, gross days otherwise. Enjoy that awesome ride :)

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
It's been a wet start to the year here in NE Ohio, I've been to my local trail a few times in the evenings but basically every weekend where I've had the time to get out somewhere further has been rainy. Things finally worked out this weekend and we had a family get together at a local state park that has some well-reviewed trails I've never ridden before, so I threw my bike on the car and ducked out for a bit when the parents in the group were busy focusing on the little ones.

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/4005069/west-branch-state-park-full-tour

I am definitely not an advanced rider but I decided to push my boundaries and rode the full loop including the very aptly named Quarry trail and the expert section on the Southside trail which are both marked as black. I'm proud to say I completed them both without losing control of the bike, but I did have to walk up a few long and rocky climbs on both, maybe a quarter mile of the quarry trail and a third or so of the southside trail's alternate route.

I had a broken gopro mount that I didn't have an exact replacement for, so the angle on my video is not great and something was knocking around making an annoying noise, but here's a short clip showing one of the climbs that gave me trouble on the back half of the Quarry trail:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqIvzzPlMRU

Is there any trick to this sort of thing that I might be missing, or is it just a straightforward matter of needing to be carrying more speed going in so I can maintain enough speed up the climb to handle it? I feel like I could handle either the rocks or the climb on their own, but the combination means I'm geared down and pumping hard but not going very fast which doesn't help stability even before the rocks start trying to grab my wheels.

I realized while typing this post that I had put my tires up to road pressure for a towpath ride the previous day and forgot to let them back down so that probably didn't help, but I don't think it was a major factor in my trouble here. Does explain why I kept thinking my fork had locked out though.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Nocheez posted:

I bet you deal with a lot of lovely, hot, gross days otherwise. Enjoy that awesome ride :)

The summer months are incredibly hot, but if you can finish your ride by 9am it's good. Or you can always hit the trails at altitude where it's cooler as well. It's really hard to beat the cycling here.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

After about a year of mountain biking I managed to send myself to the ER for the first time yesterday. I was goofing around at a little skills park in town and landed a jump badly, falling off the bike and dragging my knee through a pile of sharp gravel. One of them cut a pretty deep gash right over my knee. Five stitches later I'm feeling pretty alright. I asked the doctor if I could ride a bike today and they said it all depends on my pain tolerance.

Anyway I'm thinking it might be smart to invest in some knee pads for the future so I can continue to be dumb and have fun on my bike but maybe protect myself a bit more when I wipe out. Anyone have some they really like?

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I like the fox Enduro pro d3o pads, but I think any sleeve type pad with a foam that gets hard on impact will do. They're light and thin enough I wear them 100% of the time on the bike and they've saved me a lot of injuries like that or bruised knees from small crashes. I like that the above the knee part of the sleeve is long enough I can tuck it under the hem of my chammy so they don't slide down at all when I ride.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I really like these Leatts. They let breeze through for cooling which is great on hot days. I've crashed in them a couple times and they held up well.

Leatt Knee Pads

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
I don’t think I’d get ones without a removable pad so they can be washed, they tend to get pretty funky with sweat if you wear them all the time. The fox ones above are good, I tore through the fabric in the back after a couple seasons with pedal strikes though.

I’m running these IXS ones now, I like the adjustable strap and they have the smallest overall sleeve of any I’ve tried so are pretty comfy for long days: https://ixs.com/us/mtb/mtb-equipment/protection/1468/flow-evo-knee-guards-grey

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I wear those ixs ones every ride.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I have and really like the old (2021) style raceface ambush kneepads since they strap on instead of slip on.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

I don’t think I’d get ones without a removable pad so they can be washed, they tend to get pretty funky with sweat if you wear them all the time. The fox ones above are good, I tore through the fabric in the back after a couple seasons with pedal strikes though.

I’m running these IXS ones now, I like the adjustable strap and they have the smallest overall sleeve of any I’ve tried so are pretty comfy for long days: https://ixs.com/us/mtb/mtb-equipment/protection/1468/flow-evo-knee-guards-grey

FWIW, I wash my Leatt's often and have noticed no issues. I let them air dry.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I feel god drat great. Been going out every day that I can working on things and getting more comfortable on my new bike. My strength and endurance is through the roof, and I am down about 10 pounds since I started this. I can do a little bunny hop now and am starting to figure out how to manual. Def going to get some knee-pads.

Either the shop didn't do a great job bleeding my rear brake or I have a leak somewhere. I kinda have to "pump up" the brake a few times before it'll even begin to grip, and I have to do this constantly through my ride. I am still only riding my neighborhood trail so I know when to "prep" my rear brakes. I have a brake bleed kit that'll be here tomorrow so it'll be a maintenance day. Front brake works great though. Anything special about maintaining the rear derailleur and chain other than cleaning it and spraying the chain with WD40 or something?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Polish posted:

I feel god drat great. Been going out every day that I can working on things and getting more comfortable on my new bike. My strength and endurance is through the roof, and I am down about 10 pounds since I started this. I can do a little bunny hop now and am starting to figure out how to manual. Def going to get some knee-pads.

Either the shop didn't do a great job bleeding my rear brake or I have a leak somewhere. I kinda have to "pump up" the brake a few times before it'll even begin to grip, and I have to do this constantly through my ride. I am still only riding my neighborhood trail so I know when to "prep" my rear brakes. I have a brake bleed kit that'll be here tomorrow so it'll be a maintenance day. Front brake works great though. Anything special about maintaining the rear derailleur and chain other than cleaning it and spraying the chain with WD40 or something?

Great news on the fitness!!

If you paid a shop to do work and it's not fixed you should either let them try again or ask for your money back.

WD40 is not a lubricant, get a bike chain specific lube. For a casual user they're basically all the same. If you want to go down the rabbit hole of efficiency and drivetrain longevity look at https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/lubetesting/

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Step one is really just keep your chain clean and use any kind of actual chain lube. The better you wipe it off, and the cleaner your chain always looks, the better. Rock and roll gold is easy and does a good job at keeping the chain clean. Despite whatever zero friction says about it. And btw, poo poo wears out even if you use a fancy wax, especially on a mtb. I do wax my chains and still don't expect to get more than like 3k mi out of a mtb drivetrain. But I guess we'll see.

jamal fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 23, 2024

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

The thing that sucks about wax is you gotta dry and rewax after it gets wet.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

amenenema posted:

Great news on the fitness!!

If you paid a shop to do work and it's not fixed you should either let them try again or ask for your money back.

WD40 is not a lubricant, get a bike chain specific lube. For a casual user they're basically all the same. If you want to go down the rabbit hole of efficiency and drivetrain longevity look at https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/lubetesting/

I am going to bring the bike in for a one month complementary service where I bought it, but I want to ride it now and I figured this is a thing I should learn to do anyways. And thanks for the link, that is right up my alley.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I run squirt. Its a wax lube and I don't have to reapply it too often, pretty much just when i have to deep clean after a mud day when i'm doing that stuff anyways. For any little bit of wet its fine.

Bike Tax:

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Squirt is nice for dry conditions.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I use dumond tech, it smells nice.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

I use dumond tech, it smells nice.

It's my favorite smelling, but I am a believer of rock and roll. It's been great on my dry rear end trails.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I put some on on occasion, never wipe it off, and my drivetrain is usually quiet and its still on the original poo poo after a couple years, probably cooked but it runs and shifts fine so whatever, I only pedal on the boring parts of the ride anyways (not true anymore :()

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

in a well actually posted:

The thing that sucks about wax is you gotta dry and rewax after it gets wet.

I don't think this is true

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

amenenema posted:

I don't think this is true

It had been my experience after using immersion waxed chains on even a moderately wet ride the chain gets rusty and sticky if it isn't dried and rewaxed. I might be doing something wrong (insufficiently expensive wax, probably) but that's in line with zfc's recs https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/Waxing-FAQ-v1.3.pdf

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Just run the chain through a rag for awhile to dry it off if it's wet. Let it sit and air dry for a bit, then put on a drip wax like silca or whatever. Don't have to fully crock pot wax every time.

You should also hose all the grime off sooner rather than later.

Wet ride I usually go straight to the hose and rinse everything off, put bike in the stand, get chain and bike generally dry, maybe spray some isopropyl alcohol on pivoting and turning bits. Then it's pretty much ready to go vs coming out to a grimey hosed up bike a few days later.

jamal fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 23, 2024

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I have to rewax more frequently in wet conditions, but it’s not a guaranteed situation of “Chain got wet. Throw it in the pot”.

wolrah posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqIvzzPlMRU

Is there any trick to this sort of thing that I might be missing, or is it just a straightforward matter of needing to be carrying more speed going in so I can maintain enough speed up the climb to handle it? I feel like I could handle either the rocks or the climb on their own, but the combination means I'm geared down and pumping hard but not going very fast which doesn't help stability even before the rocks start trying to grab my wheels.

I don’t know that anyone else commented on this, so I’ll say: that would be normal for me. Gotta work to keep the pace up, and sometimes I err and a rock gets me and forces me to put a foot down.

The only new advice I can give you is that on rocky climbs, I lower the saddle just a little. Full dropper post extension is set up to be optimal for me to pedal on flat ground or down hills, but I do better with it down a tad on technical uphill sections.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

wd40, while it isn't a good chain lube, it is wonderful as a solvent to flush out grit and to displace water after riding in the rain or hosing the bike off. you can do those things with chain lube too but wd40 is way cheaper. flush with wd40 and then lube before the next ride was my routine when commuting in the rain

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I used molten speed wax the last couple years. Keeps things super clean and seems to last a long time. I don't really ride in the wet unless I get caught out and it's mostly just dry and dusty here when I ride. I like it.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

I've become a big fan of Peaty's all weather LinkLube. Works well for me, seems to last a while, and smells drat good.

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
Drove the ripmo to the coffee shop this morning. Absolute mall crawler!

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Bled my brakes and they work great now. Pretty easy to do with the proper tools, took all of 10 minutes. Think I am going to go somewhere new either tomorrow or on the weekend.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I think I fixed the click that has been bothering me for a year :stare:

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I think I fixed the click that has been bothering me for a year :stare:

Knee replacement?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

hah

has [had :pray:] an intermittent loud click when the rear suspension compresses. i cleaned/lubed/torqued all the bolts and bushings after stuffing foam tubes into the frame didn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Got out to my first actual trails today at a local park. They were all ranked blue and green on Trail forks but they were a good challenge for me. Most of it I handled no problem, really really glad I got the 29" tires. Some things I couldn't do yet, and I also took some risks practicing and pushing things I haven't done yet. Was out for about two hours and was beat to poo poo. I had an absolute blast though.

The trails mostly surround this lake:

Which a lot of the trails are pretty narrow, and you fall down a six foot cliff into the lake:

The trails were fairly flat with some elevation:

Heres a drop I did a couple times. I landed heavy on my front tire, need to practice pulling up, Tried to use my bike for scale.. it seemed like a huge drop for me but it was probably like.. 18" or so.

And this jump I didnt dare try:

Also..

Oh and this little bastard... I fell off the side of this thing TWICE while trying to decide which trail to go on. Put my foot down to stop and nothing was there and I went over.

Polish fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 24, 2024