Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Are team GPA bonuses standard parts of college coaching contracts? That's the first one I can remember seeing.

They've become more and more common over the last 5-6 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

They've become more and more common over the last 5-6 years.

Will you look at that, Charlie Strong gets $75,000 if UT's team GPA is 3.1 (haha, good loving luck Charlie).

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oregon salaries are out

quote:

Oregon: Oregon released updated information on its staff salaries on Friday. They are - head coach Mark Helfrich, $1.8 million; defensive line coach Ron Aiken, $500,000; defensive coordinator Don Pellum, $500,000; offensive line coach Steve Greatwood, $379,250; offensive coordinator Scott Frost, $367,584; special teams/tight ends coach Tom Osborne, $367,584; wide receivers coach Matt Lubick, $325,000; defensive backs coach John Neal, $325,0000; running backs coach Gary Campbell, $300,000 and inside linebackers coach Erik Chinander, $275,000.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Oregon should pay Gary Campbell as much or more than any of the other coordinators at this point. He's been doing such great work.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
That has to be the least expensive coaching staff of any team in, what, the top 15? Top 20?

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

That has to be the least expensive coaching staff of any team in, what, the top 15? Top 20?

Probably doesn't include whatever they get from Nike's payroll.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

VT is p cheap despite how good/how long some of the guys have been there, and all the new guys are on the cheaper side. Gonna have to see if they can stay up there (although I'd expect so).

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
That's where Ron Aiken wound up? What the gently caress, Iowa, get him back.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

MourningView posted:

That's where Ron Aiken wound up? What the gently caress, Iowa, get him back.

MV, how do you feel knowing Kirk Ferentz alone makes about as much as the entirety of the Oregon coaching staff?

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

Korranus posted:

Probably doesn't include whatever they get from Nike's payroll.

Most of those incentives are actually included in the contracts (to the tune of $50,000 to $250,000 annually)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

TheGreyGhost posted:

MV, how do you feel knowing Kirk Ferentz alone makes about as much as the entirety of the Oregon coaching staff?

It's not my money; I don't give a poo poo how much he makes. Good for him. It's not like they're losing money on football.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Brett McMurphy says North Texas has extended Dan McCarney through 2018.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Miami rehired Tim "Ice" Harris as a recruiting coordinator and possibly down the road as an Assistant. He's coached one of the more successful HS teams in Booker T. Washington since Randy Shannon's firing.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/03/03/3971348_booker-t-washington-coach-ice.html

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?
Kentucky has (probably) hired Craig Naivar, Texas State DC, to coach ST.

No idea about this guy, but from his online presence, he seems to be a fired-up kind of dude.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

The Notorious ZSB posted:

VT is p cheap despite how good/how long some of the guys have been there, and all the new guys are on the cheaper side. Gonna have to see if they can stay up there (although I'd expect so).

Yea but they've definitely slumped the past few years. They need to turn it over to Bud Foster already before he's too old as well.

COMPUTER SECRETS
Oct 6, 2003

Pig Sooie

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Miami rehired Tim "Ice" Harris as a recruiting coordinator and possibly down the road as an Assistant. He's coached one of the more successful HS teams in Booker T. Washington since Randy Shannon's firing.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/03/03/3971348_booker-t-washington-coach-ice.html

Guess they got over their feud. Wonder if Shannon will still be able to poach Miami talent without his help.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Yea but they've definitely slumped the past few years. They need to turn it over to Bud Foster already before he's too old as well.

I think myself and most VT fans expect him to step down after the 2016 season when his contract is up. Especially if we continue to stay stuck at 8-5.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Raises at Mizzou

FBScoops posted:

Missouri: Gary Pinkel's contract has been extended through 2020, with his base salary increasing from $2.8 million to $3.1 million. Pinkel can earn up to an additional $1.825 million in incentives. Also, the salary pool for assistants has bumped up to $3.2 million (was $2.66 million in 2013). Defensive coordinator Dave Steckel ($600,000) and offensive coordinator Josh Henson ($550,000) also received raises.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

grats bobo

quote:

Georgia: Offensive coordinator Mike Bobo had had a year added to his existing three-year, so he is now signed through 2016 and will make $575,000 annually. Also, defensive line coach Tracy Rocker will earn $350,000 this season.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Big ups to Texas for taking Strong and making all this happen so we could hire someone who actually seems to know how to run a defense.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

KKKLIP ART posted:

Big ups to Texas for taking Strong and making all this happen so we could hire someone who actually seems to know how to run a defense.

I feel like I'm getting badly whooshed here. Strong... doesn't know defense?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Hiring Strong made Louisville hire Petrino who hired Todd Grantham away from Georgia (that guy is a Georgia fan).

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Thermos H Christ posted:

I feel like I'm getting badly whooshed here. Strong... doesn't know defense?

Yea he's genuinely happy that Strong started the dominoes that got UGA a good DC.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Yea he's genuinely happy that Strong started the dominoes that got UGA a good DC.

This. I also think Strong is a great coach who is fired up and I am happy for Texas fans

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I guess nobody noticed Tosh Lupoi apparently getting hired by Alabama.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Shock and Awe

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I guess nobody noticed Tosh Lupoi apparently getting hired by Alabama.

Pretty great hire. Tosh's recruiting chops with Bama's facilities/tradition/briefcases-stuff-with-cash...a match made in heaven.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

LeeMajors posted:

Pretty great hire. Tosh's recruiting chops with Bama's facilities/tradition/briefcases-stuff-with-cash...a match made in heaven.

Works for me. Lupoi was a big factor in getting Keenan Allen to drop his Alabama commitment and go to Cal.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I wonder if Saban is going to start hitting the west coast more with these Kiffin and Lupoi hires.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Going back and reading the beginning of this thread is kind of amazing. Also brings to my attention just how much of a horrible whiny tantrum thrower I was after the abysmal start to last season, although it looks like at the time there was general agreement on Mack being just loving awful. I don't even want to go find that one meltdown rant from the end of the season when Mack's departure had been reported and then suddenly reports were coming out that he'd be back. In other news, this exchange from September 30 made me smile.

Sab0921 posted:

Charlie Strong. There shouldn't be any other names for the Texas head coach position unless Mack stays another terrible year and then we go after Chip Kelly.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I honestly don't think he would even entertain that offer.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Andichu making definitive statements with no reasoning behind them and being completely wrong is a proud SAS tradition.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

DJExile posted:

grats bobo

Worth every penny.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I would never have imagined we'd hire James Franklin, for a variety of reasons.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I was fully prepared for the Al Golden Era

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
ESPN made this crazy chart about the impact of the Texas coaching jobs opening up:

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Those 5 coaches at the bottom of the graphic probably deserved raises with or without the Mack stuff.

Correlation does not imply causation, ESPN

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

MourningView posted:

Andichu making definitive statements with no reasoning behind them and being completely wrong is a proud SAS tradition.

Except, jackass, I did offer my reasoning behind it (he'd been twice offered a poo poo load of money, was happy at Louisville, Texas is a super high-pressure job.). I was wrong, and I admitted it. But hey, narratives and all that.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Thermos H Christ posted:

ESPN made this crazy chart about the impact of the Texas coaching jobs opening up:

What the hell is wrong with that map?

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Those 5 coaches at the bottom of the graphic probably deserved raises with or without the Mack stuff.

Correlation does not imply causation, ESPN

They deserved raises but without another large coaching position opening up, the school had time/leverage on their side. With Texas scouting for a new coach all of a sudden the coaches had the negotiating power and made negotiating for a contract sooner rather than later required. You really think Baylor would give a raise/extension to Art Briles in the middle of the season, really before they even did anything of consequence right before the Texas Tech game, and one year after his most recent extension? They did it to keep Briles from bouncing to Austin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

anne frank fanfic posted:

They deserved raises but without another large coaching position opening up, the school had time/leverage on their side. With Texas scouting for a new coach all of a sudden the coaches had the negotiating power and made negotiating for a contract sooner rather than later required. You really think Baylor would give a raise/extension to Art Briles in the middle of the season, really before they even did anything of consequence right before the Texas Tech game, and one year after his most recent extension? They did it to keep Briles from bouncing to Austin.

I think I speak for the entire conference when I say praise allah they did.

• Locked thread