Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

ptier posted:

This! I was super worried, and tested everything out yesterday (set the flag in 79, and grabbed the beta for 80). So far our simple rear end ADFS and even our newer shibboleth setups aren't doing anything special enough for this to be an issue. Hooray for old and slow!

The only thing that is going to be an issue is that currently, Shibboleth being java...

So for a while we won't be setting cookies from our new SSO to anything and defaulting to lax. Should be fine in that case. But we shall see. We have a lot of 3rd parties... and they are notorious for not doing poo poo right.

The one gotcha I’ve found so far is certain older versions of the apple webkit don’t play nice with the samesite attribute, I had to put in user agent exemptions to not issue it to those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

George H.W. oval office posted:

poo poo I needed this 2 hours ago

I'm sorry, i didn't see your reply before I posted it. But now you know what to do going forward.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

TheFace posted:

My being willing to say "I don't know, but I can find out" in my interview got me my current job as a (non-AWS) TAM. I went deep enough in the technology to assure them I knew it fairly well but apparently they've often had people try to BS their way through when they didn't really know the answer so being willing to admit not knowing was a must have skill.

At first it was weird, but now it's pretty drat awesome!

Hey tam buddy!

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Vulture Culture posted:

Honestly, if you want to do management, you have no management experience, and you've found someone willing to take a chance on you, maybe just be ready to eat poo poo for an opportunity instead of focusing on red flags. Management opportunities for non-managers are rare unless you have something akin to TL experience.

One red flag: if your interview loop doesn't involve any members of the team and they get weird if you ask to meet with the team, it's a weird team or a weirder power dynamic

Learning by doing is the best but it gives you the opportunity to potential gently caress things up especially people’s entire livelihoods if you are managing people or projects.

As for red flags, for management that should be expected. Those questions are sometimes asked on purpose for to see your reaction.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

George H.W. oval office posted:

Ah well just gotta practice that elevator pitch some more.
Meh phone interviews suck no matter how you slice it, everybody loves having to do a cheeky bounce out the office and rush to find somewhere secluded. Does wonders to your psyche when you need to recollect the minutia of your professional life and get quizzed on things.

Best phone interview I had was over Facetime of all things and I was at home, sailed through it (ultimately didn't get the job after the in-person interview). Every single time someone asks "So, tell me about yourself!" I always respond with "Well, what would you like to know?", if they've actually read your CV they'll usually bite to give a good talking point.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
There is a weeklong war room for the new chrome update lmao.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I conduct multiple phone screens a week and it's the worst part of my job. Just as annoying as a candidate finding a secluded spot and switching gears, I have to put all my work on hold for 30 minutes and convince coworkers to not knock on my door or just come in firing off questions.

Instead of doing a 'tell me about yourself' question, I latch on to their most recent job (or internship, or college degree program) and ask them to tell me about a project they really enjoyed. It gives them a chance to get excited to talk, which is mostly what I want to know; does the candidate like working in IT?

You'd be surprised how many candidates either can't think of a single project they liked doing, or can't clearly explain an IT topic of their own choosing.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I am in the middle of a nerdy IT tech in no people skills and upsetting everyone shocker.

Tech is working away and the booking agents haven't put a room allowence on his room.
It's obviously not right but our boss is also there so he is just paying for everything on his company credit card, so it is a non issue.

Tech is also away next week so does need it sorting - decides to tell the booking agent woman how to do her job. I think he was trying to be helpful but he came across as an utter cockwomble.
In response she decided to 'work to rule' and not be very helpful - which is kind of understandable.

Then I spotted on facebook that booking agent woman is now on annual leave so I emailed tech to say why dont you find booking admin on the site you are at and get help as booking woman is off

Didn't think any more of it until I walked past the booking womans office - her colleague informs me that tech tried to add booking woman on facebook, booking woman ignored it, so tech liked one of her status that was public and now she feels stalked.

I sense the next step is booking agent will formally complain because she doesn't like tech.

Wonderful.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
He sounds more like a creeper than a just a goony nerd.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I understand that forced scheduled restarts are necessary, but don't do it at noon, you morons.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

KillHour posted:

I understand that forced scheduled restarts are necessary, but don't do it at noon, you morons.

It makes "some" sense if you have a large amount of laptop users.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

KillHour posted:

we've been pre-empted from doing one scheduled restart of the networking equipment every Friday after close of business for the last.... five months or so.

This jira ticket is never gonna close :(

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
https://samperson.itch.io/desktop-goose

I am trying to deploy this Bonzi Buddy-like exe but it just crashes when I try it as a schedule or powershell command :(

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

running it with rights?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sickening posted:

It makes "some" sense if you have a large amount of laptop users.

My laptop is plugged in and on 24/7. Just schedule it for midnight. I'm not up to date on WSUS, but I can't believe you can't schedule it to wake up then restart.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Judge Schnoopy posted:

You'd be surprised how many candidates either can't think of a single project they liked doing, or can't clearly explain an IT topic of their own choosing.
I wouldn't. I've been involved in a lot of projects over the years and can't think of one I liked doing. "Training, what's that? gently caress you, figure it out yourselves. I thought you were good with computers."

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

cage-free egghead posted:

https://samperson.itch.io/desktop-goose

I am trying to deploy this Bonzi Buddy-like exe but it just crashes when I try it as a schedule or powershell command :(

Microsoft should buy it and make it an optional feature in windows. Just call the checkbox "Goose" with no further explanation.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

KillHour posted:

My laptop is plugged in and on 24/7. Just schedule it for midnight. I'm not up to date on WSUS, but I can't believe you can't schedule it to wake up then restart.

If your laptop is plugged in 24/7 you probably don't need a laptop. What about the laptops are offsite and not on the vpn for long periods of time outside of business hours?

Hitting laptop users during the day as a requirement means that lunch time is the best option. out of all of the above. Its still better to do a deployment with an interactive window asking the user to reboot themselves with a time limit.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I've gotten 3 voicemails now about people who can't save open files because their shared drives are full.

Looks like someone borked the SAN.

I sure did pick a good day to take off, hah.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Put that drat phone away and enjoy your day off you silly bastard.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

KillHour posted:

Are they strictly necessary though? We get a prompt to reboot within 24 hours, but the computer won't actively kick you out of whatever you're doing up until that point.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

We give people 5 days to install patches, if you can't find time in 5 days to patch and reboot we'll reboot without asking and no one will feel bad about it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I was just swapping my personal phone onto the charger, and my curiosity got the better of me when I saw I had a shitton of missed calls, emails, and voicemails.

I'm half debating on popping some popcorn, opening a console window, and just watching the shitshow unfold.

I'm off tomorrow too so this whole situation is just :3:
I really hope that nobody does anything stupid and fucks all the data because that is a mess I DO NOT want to clean up.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.

product mgr friend posted:

I'm in a seminar about how to access and groom our location data

there are a bunch of required fields and one of the required ones is "Haunted"

which is a boolean

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sickening posted:

If your laptop is plugged in 24/7 you probably don't need a laptop. What about the laptops are offsite and not on the vpn for long periods of time outside of business hours?

Hitting laptop users during the day as a requirement means that lunch time is the best option. out of all of the above. Its still better to do a deployment with an interactive window asking the user to reboot themselves with a time limit.

I'm a consultant working remote from across the country. If they can push down the signal to make my laptop reboot at noon even though I'm not on VPN, they can do it at midnight. Also noon for them is 2pm for me so not exactly a convenient time.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
That sounds more likely that SCCM pushed the updates when you were on the VPN and had a hard deadline on install. Generally the CCM client should use local time, so I'm not entirely sure how they got it to 14:00 but it's been a while since I've been in charge of SCCM so maybe I'm forgetting something.

I realize this means they could very well have just set 14:00 as restart time. That is possible.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

KillHour posted:

code:
function no() {
  while true; do
    sudo kill $(ps aux | grep jamf | awk '{print $2}')
    sleep 900
  done
}
no&
suck it IT. Don't reboot my poo poo on me in the middle of the day.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I conduct multiple phone screens a week and it's the worst part of my job. Just as annoying as a candidate finding a secluded spot and switching gears,

Are you randomly calling them and asking them if right now is a good time to interview them? Because that is extremely annoying.

Methanar posted:

suck it IT. Don't reboot my poo poo on me in the middle of the day.

My boss makes a dollar, I make a dime, that's why I reboot your poo poo on company time.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The Fool posted:

If anyone cares I ordered an HP Elite Dragonfly

Going to be testing it along side this dock.

Laptop came in and I've been using it as my daily driver for a few days now:

Pros:
lightweight and small
the blue color is cool
works with the thunderbolt dock with no issues
keyboard and trackpad feel nice
battery life is great

Cons:
who the gently caress actually uses any of these convertibles as a tablet? windows 10 tablet mode continues to be a waste of time
fans are on constantly when docked/charging

The fan issue is the biggest thing, as I would not be able to deploy this laptop to anyone without having a solution.
As far as I can tell it's a problem with turboboost, and appears to be an issue in the HP Spectre as well, however the elitebook x360's that we currently have deployed don't have the same problem.
Haven't found what I'd consider a "good" solution for it yet.

The Fool fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 30, 2020

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Fan? I hear it going on sometimes but it's not deafening or anything

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

To be fair, a place is either haunted or it isnt.

You can't be a little bit haunted in the same way that you can't be a little bit pregnant.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

The Fool posted:

Cons:
who the gently caress actually uses any of these convertibles as a tablet? windows 10 tablet mode continues to be a waste of time
fans are on constantly when docked/charging

Airplane take off and landing while you’re watching a movie, flight attendants have no clue.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Shut up Meg posted:

To be fair, a place is either haunted or it isnt.

You can't be a little bit haunted in the same way that you can't be a little bit pregnant.

Yes, but the "Haunted" field is a BOOlean.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Yes, but the "Haunted" field is a BOOlean.

Ducking bell, I am dense.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
Is anybody going to FOSDEM this weekend? I just planned my schedule and I hope I picked good things. Of course, I included the obligatory mgmt config talk, since the guy is rather entertaining.

:toot:

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Shut up Meg posted:

Ducking bell, I am dense.

A float would also be acceptable :ghost:

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Man using terraform to destroy entire VPCs is loving terrifying. I quad-checked everything and still did it in batches.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Sepist posted:

Man using terraform to destroy entire VPCs is loving terrifying. I quad-checked everything and still did it in batches.

If you aren't doing this already, its a protip. You can have terraform only execute certain parts at once if you want to do something slowly or partially

code:
 terraform destroy -target=module.vpc1
where this example only running the module for vpc1 and dependencies. for that particular module.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Are you randomly calling them and asking them if right now is a good time to interview them? Because that is extremely annoying.

gently caress no I would quit on the spot. HR confirms the candidate is interested, candidate fills out a small application, HR sets up a phone screen time. I call them at the prearranged time. I still ask if it's still a good time to discuss the role just to be sure but nobody ever says no.

Some candidates still get caught off guard. One dude was driving and didn't pull over. I cut the interview as short as I could, skipping most of the questions I was supposed to ask. Others sound like they just woke up from a nap. It's insanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

GreenNight posted:

Fan? I hear it going on sometimes but it's not deafening or anything

Yeah. It's on full blast if I have the dock or the power adapter on.

It almost never turns on when I'm on battery.