Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
I come back from a long weekend and find that our parent company is trying to divest our division. My job is probably safe if we’re acquired by a similar company. If it’s a private equity firm all bets are off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Lockback posted:

A little too fairy tale like, probably.
Shoosh, let us have this one. In the words of Pratchett, we need to believe in things that aren't true- how else can they become?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I opened a req for a junior software engineer. We are approaching 800 applicants and we're still under 24 hours.

Now a bunch are auto-applies from people looking for visas but still. Ridiculous.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Did you happen to advertise it as remote

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Did you happen to advertise it as remote

Yeeeup

We already changed it

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Ugh, my wife works for a software company and they just announced that all front-line managers (like 500 people) are going to be reassigned to either be an IC or an upper manager with like 15+ people under them. The decision was made for them by their management, and she found out today she either has to be an IC (a "lateral" move but of course that really means demotion) or else get a severance package in a few months. She feels lovely and isn't sure exactly what she wants but will probably start job hunting soon. She likes it there but the past 9 months has been eternal tech reorg hell.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Cael posted:

Ugh, my wife works for a software company and they just announced that all front-line managers (like 500 people) are going to be reassigned to either be an IC or an upper manager with like 15+ people under them. The decision was made for them by their management, and she found out today she either has to be an IC (a "lateral" move but of course that really means demotion) or else get a severance package in a few months. She feels lovely and isn't sure exactly what she wants but will probably start job hunting soon. She likes it there but the past 9 months has been eternal tech reorg hell.

Literally just went through this and taking the severance was definitely the right call in my case. Highly recommend

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

She should start job hunting now. Take the severance. She'll wind up way better off.

She shouldn't even think for a second about accepting a demotion. It's the single worst thing you can do for your career short of committing a crime.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

She should start job hunting now. Take the severance. She'll wind up way better off.

She shouldn't even think for a second about accepting a demotion. It's the single worst thing you can do for your career short of committing a crime.

Job hunting is so slow nowadays. Even with a strong resume and multiple offers, when I started looking at end of January, it was roughly April when I could have set a start date anywhere, and my search went about as smooth and fast as it could go.

I think the dumb background check step after the offer and before start date is where a lot of it is backed up, even once you have an offer in hand it can take 4+ weeks for a company to finish the background check.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Seems to be happening all over tech right now.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Xguard86 posted:

Seems to be happening all over tech right now.

Hopefully the tech sector will come up with a horrifying and racist fix soon.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

pseudanonymous posted:

Hopefully the tech sector will come up with a horrifying and racist fix soon.

How about using AI to analyze resumes for "culture fit?" As a total coincidence, we can also push for including a photograph of the candidate on the resume, doesn't Europe do that? Europe seems like they know what's up.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Che Delilas posted:

How about using AI to analyze resumes for "culture fit?" As a total coincidence, we can also push for including a photograph of the candidate on the resume, doesn't Europe do that? Europe seems like they know what's up.

Lol yes it does seem to still happen though only in a subset of applicants. Super weird. One of the things that makes me suddenly feel a long way from home.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I would never get an interview if pictures were mandatory on resumes, I am the least photogenic person on Earth. My looks are like 5/10 IRL but -1/10 in photographs.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Eric the Mauve posted:

I would never get an interview if pictures were mandatory on resumes, I am the least photogenic person on Earth. My looks are like 5/10 IRL but -1/10 in photographs.

I hear you on this! But a large part of it is just not spending a ton of time taking pictures of yourself, so you don't know not to stare bug-eyed right into the camera with your chin tucked in or whatever. Just need a good photographer and lighting to help you out.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Get an AI glow up on your headshot. Modern problems require modern solutions.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
No idea if it's still a thing there, but when I applied to some pharma companies in Australia about a decade ago, they asked for a photograph, race, and ancestry as part of it. Because of course Australia would do that.

I mean, still not as bad as trying to get a tourist visa to India, but talk about a low bar to clear. (India rephrases the questions like eight times trying to find any connection between you and Pakistan to reject your visa. It's pretty insane.)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

A friend of mine (we're both from NA) applied for programmer jobs in Japan. Apparently there, sending in a photo with the resume was de rigeur.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

in a well actually posted:

Get an AI glow up on your headshot. Modern problems require modern solutions.

My prompt to the AI was “make my photo the best looking photo online” and it went rogue and deleted the internet

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Eric the Mauve posted:

How unprofessional would it be to include my kid because when he's in the shot with me it's a solid +5, which brings me up to about a 0/10 in photographs.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Of the resumes I get that include a photo, most also have a dob and gender. Just in case the photo wasn't clear enough for you to discriminate on.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Renegret posted:

How unprofessional would it be to include my kid because when he's in the shot with me it's a solid +5, which brings me up to about a 0/10 in photographs.

An employee with kids is an employee with outside legal obligations so not great, otoh an employee with kids needs a job to keep the kids fed so they’ll put up with a lot. It is a wash.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

in a well actually posted:

An employee with kids is an employee with outside legal obligations so not great, otoh an employee with kids needs a job to keep the kids fed so they’ll put up with a lot. It is a wash.

An employee with kids is a Family Man, far more likely to have Wholesome Christian Values. Welcome to Good Ol' Boys, Inc!

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Renegret posted:

Just use your SA avatar, everyone wants to work with a dog wearing a headset.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Che Delilas posted:

This has actually been done. Weirdly, the highest score resumes were correlated with being on the crew team in an ivy league, weird!!!

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

CVs in my field include not only photos and DOB but also marital status for some reason

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Didn't know you needed a CV to join the infantry

Smithwick
Jun 20, 2003
I had previously posted on how I would have to relocate to HQ city to move into a director role and I am now working on finding a new job. I’ve got a few interviews lined up and I’m hoping they work out.

However there are more stupid brain leadership decisions incoming. I have two direct reports that are moving on from my team. One in a lateral role that will provide him with great learning opportunities to continue to develop his career and the other is getting a small promotion, but still IC role, with a different department. Good moves for both of them. One moves to their new role at the end of June and the other at the end of July.

Working with HR to post the role to backfill them, the directive from the c-suite is that the backfills need to be located in HQ city. The talent pool for these types of roles in HQ city is thin and I have to keep them posted for 90 days before I can open up the locations. One of my peers is in a similar situation and they have had a role posted for a month with exactly one applicant so far. Apparently this is an attempt to “strengthen the culture of the company” but in reality it is resulting in understaffing. The c-level brain rot is real.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

the most neutral reason i can think of for wanting someone's marital status is trying to guess how much the company will pay for insurance

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Volmarias posted:

This has actually been done. Weirdly, the highest score resumes were correlated with being on the crew team in an ivy league, weird!!!

Men’s team only though.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Smithwick posted:

Working with HR to post the role to backfill them, the directive from the c-suite is that the backfills need to be located in HQ city. The talent pool for these types of roles in HQ city is thin and I have to keep them posted for 90 days before I can open up the locations. One of my peers is in a similar situation and they have had a role posted for a month with exactly one applicant so far. Apparently this is an attempt to “strengthen the culture of the company” but in reality it is resulting in understaffing. The c-level brain rot is real.

C-Level brain is responsibily managing headcount spend and will hit their bonus targets for this quarter.

Maintaining a functioning business is #17 on their Top 10 list of concerns.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
CurrentCorp, Year 0-1: Don't meet anyone in person because COVID

CurrentCorp, Year 1-2: Navigate each company networking function by carefully ensuring that I do not consume more alcoholic beverages than my direct manager

CurrentCorp, Year 2-3: I no longer give a gently caress; nothing matters. Nobody is counting drinks at networking functions and if they are, I hope they are low-key impressed by the amount of beer I can consume in a single sitting with no/minimal visible effects.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

This is the way.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I stopped attending company events four years ago because they were all either outside work hours, on weekends, or required I return to work afterward (and therefore no alcohol whatsoever anyway).

I don’t miss any of them.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

tumblr hype man posted:

Men’s team only though.

That went without saying.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

Sundae posted:

No idea if it's still a thing there, but when I applied to some pharma companies in Australia about a decade ago, they asked for a photograph, race, and ancestry as part of it. Because of course Australia would do that.

Australian here, I've never been asked for any of those things during job applications. Pretty sure asking about someone's marital status, race or whether they have kids during hiring is illegal, or at the very minimum highly frowned upon due to anti-discrimination laws. I'd assume they're asking for reasons related to getting you a working visa, and the department that looks after those does whatever the gently caress tickles the fancy of the government in power at the time.

Eta - going the other way though, when my partner's software startup recently hired for a new dev from the Philippines he got about 200 applicants within half a day and almost all of them included photographs, religion and their height on their resumes.

bee fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 22, 2023

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

bee posted:

Australian here, I've never been asked for any of those things during job applications. Pretty sure asking about someone's marital status, race or whether they have kids during hiring is illegal, or at the very minimum highly frowned upon due to anti-discrimination laws. I'd assume they're asking for reasons related to getting you a working visa, and the department that looks after those does whatever the gently caress tickles the fancy of the government in power at the time.

Eta - going the other way though, when my partner's software startup recently hired for a new dev from the Philippines he got about 200 applicants within half a day and almost all of them included photographs, religion and their height on their resumes.

That visa stuff would make sense. I had to take a physical for a job in Ireland at one point because of the visa issues, so it could be that instead

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

This is obvious in retrospect, but uh, don’t eat the room temp office quiche.

Quick way to lose 5lbs though.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I used to ask the person in charge of hosting it what's the target price per person and then order the most expensive bourbon or scotch that puts me at that number, skipping the meal unless it was something good (it never was, it was always trendy hipster places that served awful food). Then I have my drink, socialize as is contractually required, and gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

knox_harrington posted:

All of our leadership positions have an interview process including for internal candidates. It's to head up a new clinical development program with a whole new team so I agree it's warranted in this case.

I have seven more interviews scheduled for this position. loving eight total! As hiring managers we are told not to go over 4. Total bullshit.