Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
So I’ve been trying experimenting with throwing parts of my resume into ChatGPT and seeing what corporate bullshit it throws out.

I think I’m going to use it to star applying for shits any giggles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

FrozenVent posted:

I still don’t understand the logic that pushed so many companies to renovate their offices after the initial lockdowns.

Meanwhile my government office hasn’t seen a paintbrush since the 90’s.

Execs making lemons into lemonade. If you need to have a bunch of work done, but you've been deferring or staggering it due to causing employee disruption, having everyone out of the office for a year made for the perfect moment to do it all.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Reminds me of a long Mastodon thread about how Twitter built a new building in Boulder during the pandemic, then switched to 100% remote, then got bought by Musk who immediately closed the Boulder office.

https://mastodon.social/@rodhilton/110561579833908574

quote:

In response to the antipathy towards these two expansions, REW announced in early 2020 that they would soon begin construction on a brand new amazing office space that would be permanent and pull people back into the office.

The Walnut location would close down entirely, as would the nearby fake office. This new building was being built specifically for Twitter Boulder, and would easily house all current employees as well as all the ones that were going to be hired in the next few years.

On June 13 2022, in the middle of all this uncertainty about the company's future, the new office opened.

People still could not believe this happened. Even the people opening it were almost doing so ironically, sheepish grins glued on their faces.

It seemed like such a bizarre corporate mistake - that the decision had been made to build it and the penalties for backing out were severe enough that they just kept on plowing ahead for 2 years, even though the space was going to be empty.

Musk completed the purchase of Twitter 4 months later, and almost immediately fired the entire Boulder team.

The TwitterBoulder Twitter account never even posted about the opening of its new office, the account seemingly abandoned since 2021 save for one Tweet the day Musk began buying shares, advising employees to take care of themselves.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jenkl posted:

Looking at flipper zeros wondering if they're the key to my team and I having one person scan us all in to make the metrics happy. We could even expense it as a property management cost.

I don't know that they're smart enough to cross reference it with network data. Maybe ...

Hmmm..

One person with a flipper or proxmark can probably copy everyone's cards and write them to blanks though you may need to get one of the fancy UID-writeable Mifare cards if your company is doing something fancy. (Edit to remove half formed DESfire tangent I forgot to delete fully.)

You could be detected by cross referencing logins and network activity, but also by cameras on whatever gate your meat puppet badges in on or suspiciously fast badge ins. You may also be detected if someone expects you to be badged in but you take a video call at your house or make reference to something that betrays your actual location. None of these are likely to be routinely monitored but if you fall under suspicion you will be immediately detected; doing this may be an instafireable offense and depending on local laws may even be criminal (some variant of identity theft or fraud) if someone at work really doesn't like it.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 25, 2023

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Midjack posted:

One person with a flipper or proxmark can probably copy everyone's cards and write them to blanks though you may need to get one of the fancy UID-writeable Mifare cards if your company is doing something fancy. If you're using DESFires or something.

You could be detected by cross referencing logins and network activity, but also by cameras on whatever gate your meat puppet badges in on or suspiciously fast badge ins. You may also be detected if someone expects you to be badges in but you take a video call at your house or make reference to something that betrays your actual location. None of these are likely to be routinely monitored but if you fall under suspicion you will be immediately detected; doing this may be an instafireable offense and depending on local laws may even be criminal (some variant of identity theft or fraud) if someone at work really doesn't like it.

Yeah, depending on how sophisticated your internal physsec teams are, you're more likely to be picked up by insider risk detection than by someone auditing a boomer brain demand

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
But what if we hack the Gibson?

Ok so we'll need to set up a hotspot + relay type-dealy on site, without anyone noticing, that everyone connects to, which spoofs there location as on-site.

We update the flipper zero program to scan intermittently in random intervals while not activating the doors themselves.

At the same time, we set up a honey pot, get a man on the inside...

I call it WFH: Well Formed Heist

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Jenkl posted:

But what if we hack the Gibson?

Ok so we'll need to set up a hotspot + relay type-dealy on site, without anyone noticing, that everyone connects to, which spoofs there location as on-site.

We update the flipper zero program to scan intermittently in random intervals while not activating the doors themselves.

At the same time, we set up a honey pot, get a man on the inside...

I call it WFH: Well Formed Heist

You know, you joke, but at this point you may as well just get a cell network hotspot and some kind of RDP physical dongle.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Technology usually isn't what lets you down on stuff like this, someone always overlooks a threat or makes a mistake.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Midjack posted:

Technology usually isn't what lets you down on stuff like this, someone always overlooks a threat or makes a mistake.

Again, really depends on how good the phys sec team is, and whether your boss wants to enforce the dictate from above.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

Midjack posted:

Uh oh ominous foreshadowing. Camera pans faces. Cut to copter shot of city it's set in, at sunset. Time to get to work.

Can we get George Clooney

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Our lab in the HQ has this goofy turnstile thing with glass panels where you gotta badge in and out and it went on the fritz and wouldn't let us out, but you could badge in, lol.

The ops team for it is based in india so had to get them on the case solving why this thing was going bonkers on the opposite side of the planet.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

priznat posted:

Our lab in the HQ has this goofy turnstile thing with glass panels where you gotta badge in and out and it went on the fritz and wouldn't let us out, but you could badge in, lol.

The opposite of work from home.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I’m not worried about a nerd with a super high tech gizmo, I’m worried about the schlobby guy in a hi-vis with a clipboard.

That dude gets into everywhere.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Atopian posted:

The opposite of work from home.

no they're working from home now

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The only water comes from the eyewash station and tastes funny!!

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Jenkl posted:

Uh oh ominous foreshadowing. Camera pans faces. Cut to copter shot of city it's set in, at sunset. Time to get to work.

Can we get George Clooney

Best we can do is one of the Chrises. Take your pick.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

MajorBonnet posted:

Best we can do is one of the Chrises. Take your pick.

I choose Christine Baranski, please.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Anyone got any horror stories about Tableau (apart from it being expensive)? New job just asked me if I have a preference of power bi Vs tableau and I've only really used Power BI, and only enough to get into the guts of permissions and how much I dislike DAX syntax.

Tableau to my mind has better visualisations that present data as opposed to being very heavily based on pivots like power bi, but then again maybe I've only ever seen crap power bi implementations - quite possible because what we get sent to us is generally some incredibly top down "here are 100,000 rows go figure out what is relevant".

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
tableau reader is hideous bloatware

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Never used either, my company decided to make their own visualization software. It's going as you would expect :bang:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Is it Friday yet

I need a do over

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Apparently our purchasing system is going from some oracle horribleness to new and improved microsoft horribleness. In my experience every time this changes at a company it gets worse so this should be fun.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

priznat posted:

Apparently our purchasing system is going from some oracle horribleness to new and improved microsoft horribleness. In my experience every time this changes at a company it gets worse so this should be fun.

even if you somehow get lucky and it's better in the long run, in the short/mid term it's inevitably god awful. godspeed.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

And then inevitably they realize they can't/won't be able to do (x) without paying more so they keep the old payment system on to handle the edge cases defeating the entire purpose.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

tableau reader is hideous bloatware

Power bi studio is pretty terrible in my limited experience but I think you're right on the bloateare aspect.

Spikes32 posted:

Never used either, my company decided to make their own visualization software. It's going as you would expect :bang:

There is the "actually I prefer d3.js" comedy option I guess.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Jenkl posted:

And then inevitably they realize they can't/won't be able to do (x) without paying more so they keep the old payment system on to handle the edge cases defeating the entire purpose.

Gotta burn the ships just like the ancient greeks

It’s funny when it goes from shonky home grown system to a SaaS and there are things that for whatever reason you just can’t do anymore, and it ends up taking 10x the normal amount or time at the start and for every subsequent new person. And then the workaround is also slower, brittle (oh no the SaaS changed something!) and you have to guide others through it because it can be really difficult to document.

Honestly if AI ever gets to a point where I can say “get 5 quotes for x, buy the one with the best mix of shortest lead time and lowest price, file all the purchase requests and forward approvals to my boss” then AI is finally worth it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Power bi studio is pretty terrible in my limited experience but I think you're right on the bloateare aspect.

tableau reader can't/won't update, so you just download progressively newer versions :wtc:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

priznat posted:

Honestly if AI ever gets to a point where I can say “get 5 quotes for x, buy the one with the best mix of shortest lead time and lowest price, file all the purchase requests and forward approvals to my boss” then AI is finally worth it.

On the other side will be a person asking AI to submit quotes. Just bots politely talking to each other, forever.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Trabant posted:

On the other side will be a person asking AI to submit quotes. Just bots politely talking to each other, forever.

Do you think the AIs will bitch about us to each other?

It is at that moment the singularity will be achieved.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Jenkl posted:

Looking at flipper zeros wondering if they're the key to my team and I having one person scan us all in to make the metrics happy. We could even expense it as a property management cost.

I don't know that they're smart enough to cross reference it with network data. Maybe ...

Hmmm..

I know this is probably a joke, but like another poster said, this would be an instafireable offence, at least where I work it would be. Right now if we do not comply with RTO it becomes a "performance discussion" and could possibly escalate from there to a PiP or even a formal write up, but all of that would take time to go through the corporate processes. Any sort of fraud or dishonesty usually results in immediate termination.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

skipdogg posted:

I know this is probably a joke, but like another poster said, this would be an instafireable offence, at least where I work it would be. Right now if we do not comply with RTO it becomes a "performance discussion" and could possibly escalate from there to a PiP or even a formal write up, but all of that would take time to go through the corporate processes. Any sort of fraud or dishonesty usually results in immediate termination.

Just to confirm, it was definitely a joke. Do not try this at (work from) home.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I am expected in the office at least one day a week, but it takes me almost an hour to get there and, if all goes according to plan, I’ll be quitting soon. So I’m going to see what will happen if I just don’t go in this week :)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Trabant posted:

This is already happening

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Renegret posted:

Is it Friday yet

I need a do over

Uh oh. Sounds like someone has a case of the Mondays!

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Tableau is poo poo and you will hate it if you ever need to visualize anything but sales of widgets over time by location and category.

If you have any type of data in multiple tables it seems like you can blend them (tableau for joins) but it absolutely sucks rear end. You can actually join the tables like a lovely version of an actual DB table, but it just won't work as well as just doing it all properly in a database view and just pointing tableau at that

Tableau loves actual data rows. All of its calculated functions demand you put thousands of rows with it's columns of data so it can do all it's counts, etc, but will fall flat on its face if your data is already aggregated it just has no idea how to break it out and display it

It's basically requires your data to be basically like it would served in a single excel sheet, and just puts a pretty graphing system on it. And, as someone pointed out to me today, if you want chart type a or b, you are cool, but if you want c, you need to hack chart d and change options that are seemingly backwards

Don't get me (even more) started on dynamic data filters and online cloud based dashboards

I actively spend my day telling people whatever they want via tableau is a bad idea

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
In my opinion most fancy reporting solutions are pointless anyway since the ones that are actually used for anything need to go into Excel anyway.
That being the case, you're better off generating Excel workbooks that have all the raw data in one or more sheets, then create helper pivots/charts/slicers on top of that.
Also, it's free (assuming your org is on MS365.)

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

~Coxy posted:

In my opinion most fancy reporting solutions are pointless anyway since the ones that are actually used for anything need to go into Excel anyway.
That being the case, you're better off generating Excel workbooks that have all the raw data in one or more sheets, then create helper pivots/charts/slicers on top of that.
Also, it's free (assuming your org is on MS365.)

There is a cost to using Microsoft Excel. You don't necessarily pay it in dollars.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

pseudanonymous posted:

There is a cost to using Microsoft Excel. You don't necessarily pay it in dollars.

Regrettably too long for a thread title.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Discendo Vox posted:

Regrettably too long for a thread title.

The Terrible Secret Of Excel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Roundboy posted:

Tableau is poo poo and you will hate it if you ever need to visualize anything but sales of widgets over time by location and category.

This sort of matches my preconceptions so I will treat it as correct.

I have barely touched Tableau because work wouldn't pay for licenses but it seemed to me to be a much better presentation layer than power bi, but harder to use for actual data manipulation. That said, I am perfectly comfortable writing SQL or etl and I actually prefer that approach in power bi anyway because imo hooking up automated reporting to spreadsheets on SharePoint is an abomination.

Anyway I'm going to hedge my bets a bit in my reply and say "it slightly depends on what the output you want is and where the data into it is coming from". Power bi has some good data outputs alongside the graphs but oh my god have I seen some dashboards that are just massively slow pivots.

I do hate DAX syntax though.