Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

tuyop posted:

This is why I just tape black construction paper over the info, photo copy it, and then scan it to redact my documents!

Not really, I don’t know how a screenshot of an image in a photo editing program could possibly be reverse-engineered to recover redacts.

People who just scratch out or put a box over text often don't make sure to really get all of it, so that people can make a pretty good guess at what the text was from little bits of the letters left behind - after all, it'll probably be the same font as the rest of the surrounding text, so you know what the letters hidden should look like. You can also derive some information about the text contents even if the actual text was properly obscured.

Consider, say, that you see a document where you know that the word blotted out had to be either "Bigfoot" or "alien", from outside context. When you get up to the point in the document where "And we confirmed it was a [blotted out text] as we expected", well, you know what font they're using and you'll know that Bigfoot takes up more space on the page/screen than Alien, and you can even just type it out in that font, perhaps perspective correct it, and double check that yes Alien fits this blank space more than Bigfoot. Or even if you don't know for sure that it's bigfoot or alien, you can at least be sure it's not "Loch Ness Monster" because the text covered is way too small to have fit that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What is a firm financial way to tell your roommates to gently caress off about not running the AC, would it be too passive aggressive to offer to pay the whole power bill if they cover and extra XXX amount on the rent?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Basically, what are safeguards that a journalist should use when posting pictures or photos. I recall the Vice reporter from 5 years ago who unknowingly revealed John McAfee's location because their photos were still geotagged.
One that no one's mentioned yet that relates specifically to geotagging is that if you edit the picture and then save it then the metadata (time, location, etc.) will still be there. If you copy it into a new image and save that then it will have the metadata showing that you created it on your computer at the time you edited it, not the data the camera put into the original. Or you can use the appropriate software to edit the metadata directly.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

What is a firm financial way to tell your roommates to gently caress off about not running the AC, would it be too passive aggressive to offer to pay the whole power bill if they cover and extra XXX amount on the rent?

take whatever your power bill was in previous months where AC use was low, and then ask if you can split that as normal, and any excess you'll cover for AC usage. you need to be able to trust your roommates not to be selfish cunts and start not giving a poo poo about power since you're covering excess.

question: if I buy cassette tapes as a gift for my friend who has a walkman, how can I easily record music onto them? is there a way for me to rip music from youtube / mp3s and somehow use my PC to record onto the cassette tapes? if I buy this it seems to be able to plug into the PC. this website breaks it down pretty easily, is this as simple as it is?

Qubee fucked around with this message at 12:21 on May 9, 2018

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Qubee posted:

take whatever your power bill was in previous months where AC use was low, and then ask if you can split that as normal, and any excess you'll cover for AC usage. you need to be able to trust your roommates not to be selfish cunts and start not giving a poo poo about power since you're covering excess.

question: if I buy cassette tapes as a gift for my friend who has a walkman, how can I easily record music onto them? is there a way for me to rip music from youtube / mp3s and somehow use my PC to record onto the cassette tapes? if I buy this it seems to be able to plug into the PC. this website breaks it down pretty easily, is this as simple as it is?

You just need to play the media from the PC and run a line from your speaker out/headphone jack to a cassette recorder’s mic plug. Then press play and record simultaneously.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

cheers man.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Speaking of obscuring file contents/metadata/provenance and audio recording, I have a question about a thing I had to do for work a long time ago. It’s no longer relevant but I’m interested if I succeeded in my aim.

I was asked to ensure that an audio recording could not be traced to the person who captured it, in order to protect a whistleblower’s anonymity, and also could not be traced to my employers. The recording was made on a smartphone, so the file will have been laden with metadata that could have compromised anonymity.

My solution was to buy a digital dictaphone and SD card (with cash, although I think this detail was highly over cautious) and manually record the audio of the recording, thus creating a duplication of the audio only.

I am pretty confident I achieved what I set out to do. I certainly never heard anything more on the matter and this was several years ago. So I’m just curious if there’s some kind of inaudible digital metadata encoding that could have been carried with the audio that I captured.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

sorry i'm spamming so many stupid and small questions: is there an application that lets me transcribe audio simply for a dissertation? I was gonna do it in Word and just copy / paste a bunch of:

quote:

Interviewer:
Interviewee:

and fill in what is said between the two people. but is there an application that automatically adds the interviewer / interviewee thing when I press enter? I know we're not at the level of tech that lets a computer automatically transcribe accurately, and I'm happy enough sitting through hour-long recordings just transcribing it all by hand to lessen any potential errors. I just have a feeling pasting that poo poo over and over is gonna get old, quick.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Make a table and paste interviewer: / interviewee: as a pair of cells over and over into the left hand column before you begin transcribing?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I mean, the time spent fiddling that out is probably way less than the time just doing C+P of interviewer and interviewee in Word. Depending on the people talking, that's really gonna be the least amount of time compared to actually transcribing accurately.

One thing you learn doing audio transcripts is that people barely talk coherently a lot of the time, and you'll spend half the time correcting entire dropped sentences, dead ends. And also pray they speak clearly. An hour of transcription, one on one, used to take me 2+ hours or more and I can type as fast as people speak. The names of the speakers won't take you two minutes to C+P.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Make keyboard macros so you only have to press a couple of keys to insert the speaker's name. That's more or less how we used to do it when I transcribed as a job. Also if you intend to do a lot of transcribing then get a foot pedal to start/stop the sound with, it's very painful without one.

Edit: also yeah it takes a long time, for court transcription it was like 40 minutes to 1 hour to transcribe 10 minutes of speech.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Qubee posted:

sorry i'm spamming so many stupid and small questions: is there an application that lets me transcribe audio simply for a dissertation? I was gonna do it in Word and just copy / paste a bunch of:

and fill in what is said between the two people. but is there an application that automatically adds the interviewer / interviewee thing when I press enter? I know we're not at the level of tech that lets a computer automatically transcribe accurately, and I'm happy enough sitting through hour-long recordings just transcribing it all by hand to lessen any potential errors. I just have a feeling pasting that poo poo over and over is gonna get old, quick.

I would do this in google sheets and just copy it over into a word processor as a table after. That way you can just press enter to go down a cell each line.

Another easy way is to use a table but with only one column at first, then tab your way through so each speaker is one line. After, you can add column left and copy paste your required words. It’s not going to easily auto fill the contents while maintaining the pattern like a spreadsheet program will, though.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

ineptmule posted:

Speaking of obscuring file contents/metadata/provenance and audio recording, I have a question about a thing I had to do for work a long time ago. It’s no longer relevant but I’m interested if I succeeded in my aim.

I was asked to ensure that an audio recording could not be traced to the person who captured it, in order to protect a whistleblower’s anonymity, and also could not be traced to my employers. The recording was made on a smartphone, so the file will have been laden with metadata that could have compromised anonymity.

My solution was to buy a digital dictaphone and SD card (with cash, although I think this detail was highly over cautious) and manually record the audio of the recording, thus creating a duplication of the audio only.

I am pretty confident I achieved what I set out to do. I certainly never heard anything more on the matter and this was several years ago. So I’m just curious if there’s some kind of inaudible digital metadata encoding that could have been carried with the audio that I captured.

No, that is pretty much the ideal way to do it : you are converting it to analog, then to digital so any metadata in the original file is lost.

In theory, you could add an audio watermark to the original that could survive the analog recording process, but that's not something the phone manufacturer is going to do.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Good to know! Thanks :)

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Here's a question for those goons living in sane countries that have universal healthcare. What happens in situations where you injured due to the negligence of others (ex: you are hit by a car; you get injured at someone else's home due to an accident like tripping over a rug; you are injured in a place of business like slipping and falling in a puddle of water)? Does their insurance pay for your medical bills?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

Here's a question for those goons living in sane countries that have universal healthcare. What happens in situations where you injured due to the negligence of others (ex: you are hit by a car; you get injured at someone else's home due to an accident like tripping over a rug; you are injured in a place of business like slipping and falling in a puddle of water)? Does their insurance pay for your medical bills?

What medical bills?

:britain:

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

spog posted:

What medical bills?

:britain:

Does this mean liability insurance is a lot cheaper?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Mister Kingdom posted:

Often there isn’t much to sue for other than lost income and stuff like that, but you can claim pain and suffering or loss of use if it’s really bad. In that case, usually employers have insurance for that, your car insurance covers it if you hit someone, and your house or rental insurance covers it if your house falls on someone or they break their neck tripping on your rug somehow.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

tuyop posted:

Often there isn’t much to sue for other than lost income and stuff like that, but you can claim pain and suffering or loss of use if it’s really bad. In that case, usually employers have insurance for that, your car insurance covers it if you hit someone, and your house or rental insurance covers it if your house falls on someone or they break their neck tripping on your rug somehow.

So, the government wouldn't be looking to be reimbursed due to someone else's negligence?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Mister Kingdom posted:

So, the government wouldn't be looking to be reimbursed due to someone else's negligence?

If that were the case how would we handle, say, kids who break their collarbones playing hockey (:canada: )? Would the government sue the parents? The kid? The coach or rink?

Or broke-rear end addicts who overdose? Suing them is hardly going to work OR prevent future overdoses. Suing the dealer would be problematic as well. Sue the parents for raising a hosed up kid? A failed school system or job market for preventing someone from living a meaningful life?

Or women who get pregnant accidentally and don’t want an abortion? Just sue them for giving birth? The man who did the deed? Both?

I guess the problem is that nobody is really easily blamed for the negligence, or punishing the negligence just doesn’t make society any better so we take it on the chin as taxpayers. The goal of the whole thing is to make the country better, not to make money.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mister Kingdom posted:

That would tend to come about in the course of someone being prosecuted for causing the injury criminally.

Also like, if you crash your car into someone else's car, your car insurance is going to have to pay out things to the other guy regardless of whether healthcare is free or costs millions.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

Potentially, if you were in a car crash and are taken to the hospital by ambulance, you might get a bill for <£100 that you would pass onto your motor insurer.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

tuyop posted:

If that were the case how would we handle, say, kids who break their collarbones playing hockey (:canada: )? Would the government sue the parents? The kid? The coach or rink?

Or broke-rear end addicts who overdose? Suing them is hardly going to work OR prevent future overdoses. Suing the dealer would be problematic as well. Sue the parents for raising a hosed up kid? A failed school system or job market for preventing someone from living a meaningful life?

Or women who get pregnant accidentally and don’t want an abortion? Just sue them for giving birth? The man who did the deed? Both?

I guess the problem is that nobody is really easily blamed for the negligence, or punishing the negligence just doesn’t make society any better so we take it on the chin as taxpayers. The goal of the whole thing is to make the country better, not to make money.

I listed specific examples where negligence could be easily established. But you be you.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Mister Kingdom posted:

I listed specific examples where negligence could be easily established. But you be you.

The tripping over a rug in someones house example is completely absurd and I feel like the puddle in a shop one is stretching it a bit too

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Ras Het posted:

The tripping over a rug in someones house example is completely absurd and I feel like the puddle in a shop one is stretching it a bit too

Why do you think stores put out wet floor warning signs?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Why do you think stores put out wet floor warning signs?

So that people don't fall?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Ras Het posted:

So that people don't fall?

And if they do?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What does "je te suis" translate to at the end of this? Is it something like "I follow you" in this context?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHdylh210Ho

Amour
Douleur
Éspoir
Désir
Vivre
Mourir

Viens chez-moi
Je suis ton destin

Sade J'ai compris
Sade Je te suis

See me now
Feel me now

All your life
You've been waiting for tonight
Now's the time to get it right
So dare to fly

All your life
You've been waiting to be free
Trade your pride for ecstasy
That'll make you
Reach the sky

Sade J'ai compris
Sade Je te suis

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Mister Kingdom posted:

No. Individuals may sue for personal injury claims though. In general, countries with UHC are less 'sue-happy' than America, probably because there is less need for people to recoup costs to pay for medical bills. God knows how expensive it would be for governments to investigate every medical incident for negligence in order to recoup the medical costs. The legal and administrative costs alone would probably far, far outweigh the costs of the medical care and the ensuing costs they would inevitably have to suffer from suing people who can't afford to pay for the itemised medical bills, who would fall back into relying on the social welfare system.

PRADA SLUT posted:

What does "je te suis" translate to at the end of this? Is it something like "I follow you" in this context?

Yes.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Jeza posted:

No. Individuals may sue for personal injury claims though. In general, countries with UHC are less 'sue-happy' than America, probably because there is less need for people to recoup costs to pay for medical bills. God knows how expensive it would be for governments to investigate every medical incident for negligence in order to recoup the medical costs. The legal and administrative costs alone would probably far, far outweigh the costs of the medical care and the ensuing costs they would inevitably have to suffer from suing people who can't afford to pay for the itemised medical bills, who would fall back into relying on the social welfare system.

Thank you.

I work in a hospital as an insurance collector and I see this sort of thing everyday. Walmart, for example, handles their own customer injury medical claims through a separate division.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Mister Kingdom posted:

Thank you.

I work in a hospital as an insurance collector and I see this sort of thing everyday. Walmart, for example, handles their own customer injury medical claims through a separate division.

As costs go up, the stakes go up I guess. The examples you gave, let's say it results in a call for an ambulance and a trip to A&E for lacerations/broken bones or whatnot. Over 90% of cases will be in and out of A&E within 4 hours and the actual cost to the government is ballpark around £150 for those that are in and out in that timeframe. The stats I looked at didn't make it clear if that factors in wages for paramedics and so on, but I assume it does.

You can easily see how the vast, vast majority of cases would never merit any legal attempt to recoup costs. The real drains on UHC are longer term illnesses and extended stays in hospitals. Testament to that, over 65s make up less than 20% of the population in the UK but make up over 40% of its costs.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Keep in mind that the cost of any given treatment in a country with healthcare will be a tiny fraction of what it costs in America. If they charge fifty thousand dollars for something in the states I wouldn't be surprised to hear that it costs only ten thousand in Canada, and probably even less than that in an actually good country.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Is this both a literal and figurative follow or just figurative?

Like following someone on the street vs following someone’s ideals.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is this both a literal and figurative follow or just figurative?

Like following someone on the street vs following someone’s ideals.

Honestly, I guess both? It's not explicit, but as a love song it certainly has more of a figurative connotation.

It's a bit like an English lyric saying "I want to be with you."

It's ambiguous in meaning, basically both physical and emotional interpretations are valid.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Mister Kingdom posted:

No. Your own medical insurance* pays for your medical bills. Their insurance might be forced to pay for any future damages as a result of your injury (lost wages etc) but that is unlikely except in the most extreme cases. They might be forced to pay for your deductible for the year* though.

*Our system works with it being mandatory to have private health insurance that starts at about €100/month. There is a €360-something yearly deductible for everything except your primary care physician (that is free). Insurance companies are not allowed to refuse you. In practice it is just a tax with an extra layer of bureaucracy and a different name, though of course our liberals are pushing towards more imitation of the US system.

baquerd posted:

Does this mean liability insurance is a lot cheaper?

About €10/month or so. No idea how expensive it is in the US.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

And if they do?

Then... what? I understand what you're implying, I'm just saying it's ridiculous, whether it actually happens or not, and I'm pretty sure no one would sue the shop over here (Finland).

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Mister Kingdom posted:

And if they do?

I agree; "then what?". Without medical costs being the factor they'd have to show; 1) damages, 2) that the person who fell was reasonably not responsible. Even if they sued and won which does happen occasionally, payouts for this tend to be a few hundred to thousand bucks at best. It is honestly almost never worth it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Ras Het posted:

Then... what? I understand what you're implying, I'm just saying it's ridiculous, whether it actually happens or not, and I'm pretty sure no one would sue the shop over here (Finland).

That's why I asked. In the US, people will sue at the drop of a hat.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Another thing to remember in the US is most of the time it's not actually the person who got injured filing the lawsuit, it's their insurance company. It's not "hell yeah I broke my leg at walmart I'm gonna be a millionaire", it's that person's insurance company saying "ok we paid for your broken leg. but WE shouldn't have to, walmart's insurance company should, so we're going to sue them"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

In Switzerland, medical insurance and accident insurance are separate, and employers are required to carry accident insurance for all employees who work more than 50% of full time. This covers any accidents you have, not just at work. You basically just have to give a different insurance number at the doctor's office depending on why you're there.