Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Lady Radia posted:

getting the thread back on track from the meltdowner, does anyone have a recommended usb-c -> ethernet adapter? i feel like i max out at about ~150 mbps with all the ones I've tried

Get a 2.5G adapter based on the Realtek RTL8156B chip. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08VN3DGK6

Try to avoid 1G USB ethernet dongles based on the earlier RTL8153. You might think 1G is all you need, but the 8153 is on an older process node or something, so 8153 dongles are known to easily overheat and throttle themselves to sub-1G performance (this might be what you were experiencing). The 8156 is a newer gen chip which uses less power. (Whatever you get, try to pick one with an aluminum housing. The plastic ones aren't going to cool themselves as well.)

The 8156's other big advantage over its older 1G brethren is that it supports a newer USB device class (CDC-NCM) which lets the driver offload more functionality to the NIC and thus reduces CPU use. macOS has support for CDC-NCM devices built in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

This interface is also said to have a chip newer than the Inateck that BobH mentioned:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z177Y2D/

It's more expensive but it supposedly has the RealTek RTL8156B(S)G which is even newer.

There's one person on the MR forums who says the this RTL8156B(S)G is better than the RTL8156B, she says it works fine in Linux and M1 Mac.

I wonder if the RTL8153 (which is what the market is saturated with at the moment) just has lousy drivers written for it; or if its just a poo poo chip, as Bob states.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 11, 2022

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
:eyepop: HOow? Whyyyy?

BobHoward posted:

Get a 2.5G adapter based on the Realtek RTL8156B chip. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08VN3DGK6

Try to avoid 1G USB ethernet dongles based on the earlier RTL8153. You might think 1G is all you need, but the 8153 is on an older process node or something, so 8153 dongles are known to easily overheat and throttle themselves to sub-1G performance (this might be what you were experiencing). The 8156 is a newer gen chip which uses less power. (Whatever you get, try to pick one with an aluminum housing. The plastic ones aren't going to cool themselves as well.)

The 8156's other big advantage over its older 1G brethren is that it supports a newer USB device class (CDC-NCM) which lets the driver offload more functionality to the NIC and thus reduces CPU use. macOS has support for CDC-NCM devices built in.

perfect, this is the info i need :tipshat: thank you both!

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Binary Badger posted:

This interface is also said to have a chip newer than the Inateck that BobH mentioned:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z177Y2D/

It's more expensive but it supposedly has the RealTek RTL8156B(S)G which is even newer.

There's one person on the MR forums who says the this RTL8156B(S)G is better than the RTL8156B, she says it works fine in Linux and M1 Mac.

I wonder if the RTL8153 (which is what the market is saturated with at the moment) just has lousy drivers written for it; or if its just a poo poo chip, as Bob states.

I think it's less a poo poo chip issue and more that the RTL8156 is a new, improved, and lower power version of the 8153.

On Macs, both run on generic drivers written by Apple. This is possible because they implement standard USB device class interfaces for networking devices. The difference is just that the newer 8156 chip added support for the new USB CDC-NCM device class, while the older 8153 only supports CDC-ECM. NCM improves on ECM in many ways, so it should perform better and the driver should use less CPU.

For what it's worth, as far as I can tell, the stuff on MR about the RTL8156B(S)G being more desirable seems to just be people expectation biasing themselves to believe that because they don't understand chip part numbers. I found Realtek's product page, and what's really going on is that they offer two different variants, RTL8156B-CG and RTL8156BS-CG. The difference is merely that the 'S' version integrates a switching voltage regulator. (And when you see the S surrounded by parentheses, that's just them referring to both variants.)

It makes a lot of sense that they'd offer this option. No modern or even semi-modern chip can run direct off 5V anymore, and that's what USB gives you, so all USB devices need a regulator to step it down to something useful. If you're designing a RTL8156B dongle, you can decide whether you want to do your own thing for that tiny power supply, or let Realtek handle it for you.

The -CG on the end is not as clear, but it's unlikely to be a silicon revision. Usually trailing alpha characters after a dash are codes for different packaging options used to safely ship the chips in bulk (tape and reel, tubes, and so forth).

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

the TLDR: look for RTL8156B in a metal case

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Sup mac hardware thread, it's been thousands of posts since I checked in.

I have a 2019 13-in MacBook Pro with two Thunderbolt 3 ports.

There is nothing very wrong with the laptop per se, but I am eyeing the 14-in 8-Core CPU, 14-Core GPU MacBook Pro model this year.

Is there anybody that upgraded from 2019 that can provide a trip report on if they feel it was worth it? The new one would run me $2k plus taxes and my old model nets me a $300 trade-in, seems worth it to not deal with FB marketplace.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I hope new 14" come out this year. I'm still hanging on with my 2016 15" MBP.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

The 14”MBP is a significant upgrade in every respect. I’d probably just do it if you have the dosh and inclination.

To elaborate, I did pretty much that exact upgrade (on my employer’s dime), and the new Pro is so much more pleasant to use, even with all the crapware. If you want to save a little, look at the M1 or M2 Air.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 11, 2022

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Inner Light posted:

Sup mac hardware thread, it's been thousands of posts since I checked in.

I have a 2019 13-in MacBook Pro with two Thunderbolt 3 ports.

There is nothing very wrong with the laptop per se, but I am eyeing the 14-in 8-Core CPU, 14-Core GPU MacBook Pro model this year.

Is there anybody that upgraded from 2019 that can provide a trip report on if they feel it was worth it? The new one would run me $2k plus taxes and my old model nets me a $300 trade-in, seems worth it to not deal with FB marketplace.

Go for it, the M1 Pro/Max MBPs are such a big upgrade over the final Intel machines when it comes to battery life, fan noise, and thermals

I'd suggest buying from Best Buy since they're taking $400 off right now and their trade-in offers are more respectable than Apple's

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Holy poo poo I can't tell you how much happier you will be.

It's been a year and I am still physically feeling the benefits of upgrading my personal MBP to an M1 Pro 16".

Work finally just replaced my 2019 as well with yet another M1 Pro 16" and every single thing that used to take hours of fan-spinning beachballing mayhem is now just a few seconds' hands-behind-the-back whistling. It's like going from a staticky 80s CRT with a VHF antenna to a modern 4k LCD.

I feel like if someone told me I'd have to go back to my previous laptop I would quit on the spot and/or start throwing things at them

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Plus, there’s some good sales going on for the minimum spec 14 inch Pro, it might end up costing less than you think.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

it's a great upgrade but lol at people turning up the hyperbole - "physically feeling the benefits"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

kefkafloyd posted:

Plus, there’s some good sales going on for the minimum spec 14 inch Pro, it might end up costing less than you think.
At Costco and Best Buy the 14" M1Pro MacBook Pro 16GB/500GB model is currently $1600 (normally $2000). It's a steal.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

shrike82 posted:

it's a great upgrade but lol at people turning up the hyperbole - "physically feeling the benefits"

Probably referring to the reduced heat when using the laptop

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also I am being serious that it has reduced my mental stress levels noticeably.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

MarcusSA posted:

Honestly since you got it for free I'd pay to get the battery replaced through Apple. Pretty sure it will be a top case replacement as well so you'd get a fixed keyboard as well.

Thanks, I think I'll do that then.

I thought I'd try installing the Ventura beta since this had a fresh install anyway, and ended up spending a few hours troubleshooting why the automatic update was failing before giving up and installing it over USB. At least it was a good learning experience for update related terminal commands and using the recovery menu.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

carry on then posted:

I mean, isn't that something like half an hour of sustained CPU/GPU compute? My 2018 i9 gets "ball scaldingly hot" loading embedded tweets, or sometimes doing loving nothing. Seems pretty nice to me.

To the max’s credit, it’s less than 90s per image. It does stay nice and luke warm when doing non intensive stuff though, which is really nice as my 2014 would be going full fans and scorching my lap just about 90% of the time I was doing anything so much as browsing the web or watching a video.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Data Graham posted:

It's been a year and I am still physically feeling the benefits of upgrading my personal MBP to an M1 Pro 16".

Work finally just replaced my 2019 as well with yet another M1 Pro 16" and every single thing that used to take hours of fan-spinning beachballing mayhem is now just a few seconds' hands-behind-the-back whistling. It's like going from a staticky 80s CRT with a VHF antenna to a modern 4k LCD.

I feel like if someone told me I'd have to go back to my previous laptop I would quit on the spot and/or start throwing things at them

Haha, up until a month or so ago my employer was still issuing new in box 2019 i9s. If you got unlucky enough to get the offer and accept it, you'd be using that machine until 2025 or possibly 2026. The fun of megacorp IT I guess.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is there an easy/reasonable way to read those "Your computer has restarted because of a problem" errors? My 2019 i9 MBP has been having issues with intermittently crashing and I'm really not sure where to start with troubleshooting, so I figured that mess of errors that it spits out when you opt to report the crash is as good a place as any to start

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Data Graham posted:

I still only have Intel Macs available to me, but I set up and do quite a bit of work on M1/M2 Macs brought in by clients; I can tell you that when you switch back and forth from working on an M1 to an Intel Mac, it's like loving night and day.

Wouldn't say it's extreme enough that I look like the guy from that old Maxell tape ad wearing shades and grimacing as wind shear carries away my lamp, but going from a noiseless machine that repsonds tangibly faster to every keystroke and mouse movement to a machine that starts wheezing its fans if I load a simple Google Docs spreadsheet..?!

It's like being instantly teleported from an exhaust-choked downtown Beijing street corner on a particularly noxious day, to the middle of a sunny meadow in northern British Columbia with birds chirping and a light breeze.

The call to just loving wave a roll of bills in Tim Apple's face and scream TAKE MY MONEY is only tempered by the fact I'm still torn between getting an M1 Pro 16-inch refurb or waiting for the M2 Pro 16-inchers that are just around the corner..

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

After a couple weeks now with my M2 Macbook Air with the Midnight Black color, I have to question all of the Youtube reviews that said finger prints get on this thing very easily. People are telling on themselves; wash your hands, please.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
The “base Pro” curse strikes. My new employer said the spec for software engineers is the 13” Pro. I own a 14”. Basically asked if access to anything was locked to the work issued machine and when they said no told them to save the money because I would just leave it in the box. This place pays decent salary and good benefits and I have to assume it’s just lack of research because it’s doesn’t seem like the place where they penny pinch.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is there an easy/reasonable way to read those "Your computer has restarted because of a problem" errors? My 2019 i9 MBP has been having issues with intermittently crashing and I'm really not sure where to start with troubleshooting, so I figured that mess of errors that it spits out when you opt to report the crash is as good a place as any to start

I'm having kernel panics about once a week on my 2019 i9 since the last update to macOS, and googling the problem seems to indicate that we're not alone. Keep mashing the report to apple button and hope for a fix in the next update.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Thanks all for the thoughts on upgrading to the 2022 14" MBP. Looks like there's only 2 specs, any opinions on if the base model ($2k from Apple, on sale with Best Buy) is Good Enough for a low level power user like me? I'm not regularly doing 4k video rendering, huge database work, etc.

I just want a machine that's not slow as a desktop replacement, which will motivate me to get deeper into intro coding courses and installing a few IDEs. My 2019 machine is showing its age just enough for me to feel dragged down whenever I have more than a few Chrome tabs open.

Is there a chance we get a 14" update in October or later this year? Would be pretty dumb of me to upgrade now if that's the case.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 12, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I think most people estimate we will see an M2 14 sometime in early 2023

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

I think most people estimate we will see an M2 14 sometime in early 2023

The iPhone apparently not going to cut it this quarter. They need to fire those M2 refreshes off asap. They got the macs on a yearly refresh cycle like the iPhone and now they have to keep it up.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Inner Light posted:

Thanks all for the thoughts on upgrading to the 2022 14" MBP. Looks like there's only 2 specs, any opinions on if the base model ($2k from Apple, on sale with Best Buy) is Good Enough for a low level power user like me? I'm not regularly doing 4k video rendering, huge database work, etc.

I just want a machine that's not slow as a desktop replacement, which will motivate me to get deeper into intro coding courses and installing a few IDEs. My 2019 machine is showing its age just enough for me to feel dragged down whenever I have more than a few Chrome tabs open.

Is there a chance we get a 14" update in October or later this year? Would be pretty dumb of me to upgrade now if that's the case.

The current base 14" will be just fine. There's speculation that the refresh is coming in October. It's not meant to be much of an improvement. See the Air going from M1 to M2. Covid may get in the way of that and it might get delayed to the start of 2023 instead. Depends how much your current Mac is annoying you.

You could get the 14" from Costco. Here in the UK there's a 90 day no questions returns on it. Buy it and if the M2 comes out in those 90 days return and swap. Else keep it and be happy.

PatentPending
Nov 27, 2007

[1950s eel-based dad joke]
Hi there, I just got myself a 14" M1 Pro and I'm very happy with it. I'd like to get something that'll connect to my 2 external monitors (extended, not mirrored) with a single USB cable, but all the hubs I can find have this weird double-usb-c cable thing going on except maybe this one hub that a) looks to cost like $400 and b) seems to be sold out everywhere.

Is it really so difficult to get a hub that'll let me run my MacBook on 3 external monitors with 1 cable? Ideally it'd also work with my windows work laptop as well.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Post the log please. I’ll take a look.

Is it hot when it happens? The i9s can absolutely get hot enough to cause shutdowns.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

PatentPending posted:

Hi there, I just got myself a 14" M1 Pro and I'm very happy with it. I'd like to get something that'll connect to my 2 external monitors (extended, not mirrored) with a single USB cable, but all the hubs I can find have this weird double-usb-c cable thing going on except maybe this one hub that a) looks to cost like $400 and b) seems to be sold out everywhere.

Is it really so difficult to get a hub that'll let me run my MacBook on 3 external monitors with 1 cable? Ideally it'd also work with my windows work laptop as well.

I use a CalDigit TS4 with USB-C (Thunderbolt) to DisplayPort should work fine if the monitors have DisplayPort. But yeah, it's a little on the pricey side.

As far as running 3 external monitors, the M1 Pro only supports 2.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

101 posted:

I use a CalDigit TS4 with USB-C (Thunderbolt) to DisplayPort should work fine if the monitors have DisplayPort. But yeah, it's a little on the pricey side.

Also note to OP that my Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 Gen2 dock doesn't work with my MPB

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

knox_harrington posted:

Also note to OP that my Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 Gen2 dock doesn't work with my MPB

Any thunderbolt docks from windows pc OEM with more than one screen rely on MST to work so that's kinda expected.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Post the log please. I’ll take a look.

Is it hot when it happens? The i9s can absolutely get hot enough to cause shutdowns.

It lives 99% of its life on a desk and mostly does google chrome all day, with the most stressful thing being youtube videos. That being said, next time it happens, I'll feel to see if its heated up

Here is the latest panic log

https://justpaste.it/8bz72

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Sep 13, 2022

PatentPending
Nov 27, 2007

[1950s eel-based dad joke]

101 posted:

Thanks, sorry that was a typo at the bottom I just have the 2 monitors. It sure sounds like the CalDigit TS4 is the only game in town then, I guess I need to go sell a kidney and get on a waiting list.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

PatentPending posted:

Thanks, sorry that was a typo at the bottom I just have the 2 monitors. It sure sounds like the CalDigit TS4 is the only game in town then, I guess I need to go sell a kidney and get on a waiting list.

You can use any thunderbolt hub, you just need usb-c to displayport/hdmi cables/adapters. The OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Plugable USB4 Hub are the cheapest at 170USD, but they are only 60w so you'll still need magsafe. The 90w thunderbolt hubs cost a lot more.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://digitimes.com/news/a20220912PD214.html

Oh goody, looks we're gonna get the 5nm M2 Pro / Max MBPs I've been waiting for this fall..

Honestly I couldn't give a poo poo less about the 3nm I just want that M2 goodness in the pro format

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It lives 99% of its life on a desk and mostly does google chrome all day, with the most stressful thing being youtube videos. That being said, next time it happens, I'll feel to see if its heated up

Here is the latest panic log

https://justpaste.it/8bz72

I’m no panic log wizard, but That looks like storage related. The log is calling out the storage as the failure point, and IO errors typically point to storage.

BACK UP BEFORE YOU DO ANY OF THIS

It could be a simple file system issue, which may be solved by doing a disk repair in recovery, or even a full format of the drive and reinstalling MacOS. Be warned if this is a hardware error you run the risk of these steps making the machine not bootable.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Everything I care about is in the cloud anyway, so maybe I'll take a poke at it this weekend.

If only apple let us swap out the storage :argh: Tim Cook!

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Binary Badger posted:

https://digitimes.com/news/a20220912PD214.html

Oh goody, looks we're gonna get the 5nm M2 Pro / Max MBPs I've been waiting for this fall..

Honestly I couldn't give a poo poo less about the 3nm I just want that M2 goodness in the pro format

You and me, buddy. I can’t wait. I’m thinking 14 m2 pro, 32gb ram, 1tb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Tech/Semiconductors/Apple-to-use-TSMC-s-next-3-nm-chip-tech-in-iPhones-Macs-next-year

So probably M3 Airs in late summer next year with speed bumps and slightly better battery life

It'd be nice if they beefed up the video hardware with MST support though