Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Excelzior posted:

ff13's plot is batshit insane and you will never convince me otherwise

Barudak posted:

The plot is insane in so far as it forgets to tell you a lot of it. I mean, any story is pretty crazy when the story teller flat out leaves out huge swathes of it.

I tried to follow the plot because it was the first jrpg for PS3 I kinda got into but even trying to keep up with all the dumb poo poo shoved into the data log after every chapter I still to this day don’t have any idea why the party goes all “gently caress you Dad, I’ll do EXACTLY what you want me to do, wait what” around the final boss, or why it loving works

it’s actually a shame because the overarching plot is actually kinda cool in a metaphysical way but the last chapter is just dumb and completely jarring compared to everything before it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
Also another hella good remake of an older game that sticks to the formula is bionic commando: rearmed (not the 3D one that came out around the same time).

It's a remake of the original NES game and it has some really beautiful graphics and a 2.5 depth in a classy way, the boss fights are new and pretty creative, and the renovated music keeps the themes and liemotifs of the original tracks and also owns a lot

They did a great job on it and I feel like it's underrated and overlooked a lot of the time

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
It can also be hard as gently caress and that's something I really appreciated them carrying over from the NES version, too. Like I rented that game SO MUCH as a kid and I can only remember one time where I even got to Hitler and was able to time the bazooka shot right

Also the game is notable for one of the only uses of a profanity in a NES game ever (!). "you drat fool" I think it is. Bionic Commando owns completely, thank u Super Joe

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in

nvidiagouge posted:

3 is my least favorite and plays more like a bloodborne sequel than a dark souls sequel in my experience. I've heard good things about Sekiro, maybe you would prefer it?

Could be. Has anyone tried it with cheats? Maybe that's more fun!?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Excelzior posted:

ff13's plot is batshit insane and you will never convince me otherwise

I think FF13 is one of the worst things I've ever played and the feeling I had when playing it was like someone heard "FF stories were whacky, right? Here let me write something crazy" with no actual vision or intent. It was like a more recent version of all those animes that came out after Evangelion and decided to have nonsense stories with a lot of religious symbolism.

It was the first and to this date still only FF that I could not draw any sort of enjoyment out of it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Bravely Default was bad and I still think the only reason people liked it was because they were desperate for a traditional throwback RPG at the time. I disliked most of the gameplay and once the fuckin' timeloop bullshit kicked in I noped my way out and haven't touched it since.

Elentor posted:

I think FF13 is one of the worst things I've ever played and the feeling I had when playing it was like someone heard "FF stories were whacky, right? Here let me write something crazy" with no actual vision or intent. It was like a more recent version of all those animes that came out after Evangelion and decided to have nonsense stories with a lot of religious symbolism.

It was the first and to this date still only FF that I could not draw any sort of enjoyment out of it.

You're not entirely wrong. IIRC, FF13's art team made a ton of locations and art and then the writers had to try to figure out how to piece all of that together with the basic story they wanted to tell and it ended up being a complete mess.

It doesn't help that 13 was part of that whole stupid Fabulous Nova Crystallis project or whatever it was called that derailed the entire franchise for the better part of a decade. God, FF13 sucked.

Fang and Sazh were cool though.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Elentor posted:

The first time I tried FF13 I just couldn't take the acting in the cutscenes - the characters come off as super fake and super happy and it's awful. The first couple of hours in particular were dreadful, and since the combat was pretty much auto-battle, I gave up like three hours in.

I got in an argument about how much FF13 sucked and they were like "you do realize there's a 20 hour tutorial, right"?

I loaded up my vaporizer and got to work.

a) The acting does get better in the later scenes, although the story remains incoherent. Lots of bad things happen to the main characters, and I enjoyed their suffering much more than their happiness.
b) The gameplay does get better. The battles get hard and the paradigm shift stuff actually becomes relevant and engaging, and the battle system does have some merit that isn't obvious at first.
c) But it's not good enough to warrant trucking through 25 hours of travelling through tubes in a straight line.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Elentor posted:

exact same feeling. the whole thing was hallways and bad character design. no towns, go gently caress yrself squeenix

edit: up until the whole play it a second time now just cuz part, I liked Bravely Default because of visuals. It was the thing that most looked like SaGa Frontier 2 since SaGa Frontier 2 - the aesthetic was great and kept me playing - but the jobs, gameplay and story were all flat and boring

kntfkr fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 5, 2021

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm the only person of my friends circle who finished it, it was pretty wild to see people who do ocremix of final fantasies for a hobby stopping halfway for the first time. I'll be honest, I did not enjoy the combat at all all the way to the end and I've read a lot of people talking about how that's the game's real highlight but to me it was also just a chore.

I remember as I played it of this feeling I have whenever I play a campaign game for the first time how I can't imagine myself replaying it again but 10 years later I might open up to it and the idea of feeling like replaying that game filled me with dread, like maybe I'll take so many xanaxes my memory will break and I'll forget how much it sucks, but no I still remember the pure boredom of the first 20 hours of that game and the general feeling of confusion at how amazingly bad it is.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

I got in an argument about how much FF13 sucked and they were like "you do realize there's a 20 hour tutorial, right"?

i can't imagine anything that would turn me off faster from a game than hearing this

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

b) The gameplay does get better. The battles get hard and the paradigm shift stuff actually becomes relevant and engaging, and the battle system does have some merit that isn't obvious at first.
c) But it's not good enough to warrant trucking through 25 hours of travelling through tubes in a straight line.

This kills so many JRPGs for me, just, for the love of god, let me engage with most of the mechanics after the first hour of settling in, I'll figure them out as we go

Even FFVI takes too long to get to a point where your characters can do anything especially interesting so I've never made it very far in even if it apparently has some fun stuff in the back half of the game. Auto-crossbow, attack, tonic, three scenarios, yawn, quit

More games should do the symphony of the night thing where you at least get a taste of all the cool poo poo you'll be able to do later on

pretty soft girl fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 5, 2021

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
ff13 was the first rpg I played after living in Japan for a couple years and transitioning back to playing video games, applying to jobs in the US suburbs, versus having a social life in a fun city and playing it straight up put me in a black depression, thinking things like nothing good will ever be made again

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Most RPGs don't respect the player's time. I just don't have time or patience for them anymore these days.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kntfkr posted:

ff13 was the first rpg I played after living in Japan for a couple years and transitioning back to playing video games, applying to jobs in the US suburbs, versus having a social life in a fun city and playing it straight up put me in a black depression, thinking things like nothing good will ever be made again

I was in a sort of different situation where instead I had just recently got out of the slums. ff13 and diablo 3 1.0 sort of came out around the same time and while not as dramatic as you they definitely were the first games to give me pause and wonder "wait did I outgrow videogames or are these pieces of garbage actually worse".

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

Your time is worthless, video games understand this

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Actual Satan posted:

Your time is worthless, video games understand this

It's the opposite. That's how "f2p" games work by having workers playing whales. You will be paid in virtual currency. No complaining after all the "game" is "free".

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 5, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I 100%ed FFXIII when it first came out and the moment I finished I was immediately wondering why I had done that

That said I think the combat system is legitimately really good once you have all your party members and tools, and the last few postgame bosses are really fun fights so at least I had a lot of fun at the end

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

quote:

IIRC, FF13's art team made a ton of locations and art and then the writers had to try to figure out how to piece all of that together with the basic story they wanted to tell and it ended up being a complete mess.

Holy poo poo what a time THAT must have been a time to have been alive for, huh? WOW

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Apparently it's very common in the industry to leave the story/narrative to the end. H:ZD comes to mind. Tomb Raider (2013) too.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Harrow posted:

I 100%ed FFXIII when it first came out and the moment I finished I was immediately wondering why I had done that

Man if there's one thing I'll personally never understand is 100%ing or platinuming games. For all the video game brain worms I have being a completionist/doing achievements isn't one of them and whenever I read of people with 200/300+ platinums I'm like, how?
why?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
100%ing is good when it's a really fun game and you want a reason to keep playing after finishing all the normal stuff
but 100%ing every game you touch just for the sake of it sounds painful

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Elentor posted:

Man if there's one thing I'll personally never understand is 100%ing or platinuming games. For all the video game brain worms I have being a completionist/doing achievements isn't one of them and whenever I read of people with 200/300+ platinums I'm like, how?
why?

If it's only a handful of games, I'd say it's because they just wanted to experience absolutely all of the content/challenges of a game they enjoyed. But a 100+? That's just OCD.

itry fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 5, 2021

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I have only 100%ed a couple of games because I liked playing the game and used achievements as an excuse to keep playing it. Hollow Knight was one of these games, but that was after 3 separate playthroughs spread out by at least a year each. Same story with Prey.

I don't understand having hundreds of such games. That's for people who have nothing else going on I guess

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
I’ve only gotten 100% on a couple games that it was pretty much impossible not to on a normal play through. Almost all games are already way too long. Dragging them out even further with pointless bullshit is stupid.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Vandar posted:

Bravely Default was bad and I still think the only reason people liked it was because they were desperate for a traditional throwback RPG at the time. I disliked most of the gameplay and once the fuckin' timeloop bullshit kicked in I noped my way out and haven't touched it since.

I quit playing at this part too, still meaning to go back but ehhh. Doesn't help that I missed the first pass at one of the job unlocks so I have to do the second opportunity which is *much* harder.

Vandar posted:

It doesn't help that 13 was part of that whole stupid Fabulous Nova Crystallis project or whatever it was called that derailed the entire franchise for the better part of a decade. God, FF13 sucked.

A lot of Square franchises got a whole lot worse once they decided that, rather than a one-and-done game or a short series, they needed to make it an entire world that spans across games and even media. FF15 suffered with this too, where a bit chunk of plot was shown in a CG film. FF13's plot was incoherent because they got up their own rear end in world-building so that they could pump out like 4 different games.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I got like 11 plats but one is for Donut County and it took 4 hours to get lol. Fun game though. Another is a Lego game cause I find unlocking stuff in those relaxing.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Hector Delgado posted:

I got like 11 plats but one is for Donut County and it took 4 hours to get lol. Fun game though. Another is a Lego game cause I find unlocking stuff in those relaxing.

You just reminded me of how much I enjoyed Lego Jurassic world. I 100%Ed that one

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Clowner posted:

Just started playing dark souls 3 this week. To be honest, it just makes me want to play God of War again. Or even ghost of Tsushima. Unfortunately, having played GOW and Tsushima first, DS3 just feels like the same thing only far less depth to the combat.

Is this an unpopular opinion in tyool 2021? I want to enjoy dark souls, really, and not just because it set me back eighteen buckaroos. It's because I found the higher difficulty settings on both of those other games much more fun than the easy settings, so I figured I'd give a famously difficult game a try. But so far Bigbutt McSlut (my mercenary :) ) doesn't have either the crushing power of kratos or the elegant precision of Jin Sakai.

The dark soulses are good but bloodborne and sekiro are better

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
The 3D Bionic Commando was awesome and totally worth at least a single playthru if you can get it cheap or free.

It’s not ReArmed. But it’s fun.

Also, it’s his wife!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

thank you.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Clowner posted:

Just started playing dark souls 3 this week. To be honest, it just makes me want to play God of War again. Or even ghost of Tsushima. Unfortunately, having played GOW and Tsushima first, DS3 just feels like the same thing only far less depth to the combat.

Is this an unpopular opinion in tyool 2021? I want to enjoy dark souls, really, and not just because it set me back eighteen buckaroos. It's because I found the higher difficulty settings on both of those other games much more fun than the easy settings, so I figured I'd give a famously difficult game a try. But so far Bigbutt McSlut (my mercenary :) ) doesn't have either the crushing power of kratos or the elegant precision of Jin Sakai.

I had the reverse experience. I played GoW after DS3 and found the GoW combat very mashy and uninteresting in comparison. It grew on me but it took a while

RGX
Sep 23, 2004
Unstoppable

nvidiagouge posted:

The setting and art in Endless Legend is so goddamn unique and amazing. Too bad about the game, though.

I tried to get back into this recently after bouncing off it the first time and it was literally so visually busy my eyes didn't know where to focus. It was like the gaming equivalent of a very pretty Where's Waldo.

Also, amplitude make weird menus. Everything's just... off, like they're floating and difficult to focus on. Menu design and interface are criminally undervalued when it comes to engaging a player with the game world. If you handed me a book with the greatest story ever written inside, but some of the pages were wet, some were upside down and others were made of sandpaper, I'm probably not going to enjoy it. It's weird how tactile interacting with games can be sometimes.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I like the FF13 games a lot, in fact I think Lightning Returns is the best Final Fantasy game they've ever made.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FFXIII is probably my favorite FF game but fukken laffo if you think I'm not slamming skip cutscene cause its not just bad, its actively detrimental to good story telling.

Oh hey, the end of the game works because the heroes just hoped it would work out and a god who exists only in the datalogs showed up so it would.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

I've grown to enjoy the wandering jrpg grind recently, but back when it was released I liked that I didn't have to guess where I was going with Final Fantasy XIII.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Fresh hot take: Prey is like, an 8/10 game, tops.

RGX posted:

I tried to get back into this recently after bouncing off it the first time and it was literally so visually busy my eyes didn't know where to focus. It was like the gaming equivalent of a very pretty Where's Waldo.

Also, amplitude make weird menus. Everything's just... off, like they're floating and difficult to focus on. Menu design and interface are criminally undervalued when it comes to engaging a player with the game world. If you handed me a book with the greatest story ever written inside, but some of the pages were wet, some were upside down and others were made of sandpaper, I'm probably not going to enjoy it. It's weird how tactile interacting with games can be sometimes.

The weird thing is that ES1 was lauded for was how clean and well thought out the menus were, with things pretty well surfaced and/or nested and easy to navigate. And then when I tried ES2 I was left wondering what the gently caress happened because all of that's just gone.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

John Murdoch posted:

Fresh hot take: Prey is like, an 8/10 game, tops.

Is that a normal 4 out of 5, or a Gamerz 4 out of 5? What's the scale?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

itry posted:

Is that a normal 4 out of 5, or a Gamerz 4 out of 5? What's the scale?

Normal.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

That's pretty good then. Not sure that's a hot take. Prey is pretty good.

Edit: certainly not as hot as FF13-3 being the best FF game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Well, like I said, 8/10 tops, but as I ruminate it on more it might slide down to like a 6.

At the very least it's another game that totally failed to live up to the stratospheric goon hype heaped upon it, imo.