Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

EvilBeard posted:

Maximum Gallantry

I do have two more Knights available to build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Rutibex posted:

army marines

Want you to promise that even when you start buying into the GW models that you'll still keep a unit or two of these guys in your army.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Yvonmukluk posted:

Righto!

Now then, I've got some Horus Heresy bits, so I think I might do one with the Thunder Hammer/Storm Shield/Jump Pack* Combo and another with a Lightning Claw instead of the hammer.

*Well, teleporter backpack from the Grey Knights Sprue.

Behold!

I'm looking at this guy and kind of pondering if I should keep him Deathwatch or maybe use him for my planned regular Space Marines. I'm committed to my Crimson Fists force, but with the release of the Contrast paints I'm maybe considering trading in my Lions for another chapter I'd be able to use those paints for. The mix of Wargear says Blood Ravens, but I'm also considering Emperor's Spears. Astartes Vaelarii gotta represent somehow.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Floppychop posted:

So there's a local tourney type thing coming up at the FLGS with a Blackstone box as the prize and a guy is losing his poo poo about people not bringing "fun" lists. He's trying to ridicule people that bring something he deems unfun

Keep in mind this guy sees anything with a knight/primarch/greater daemon as unfun. It's not the list composition, it's literally if it's a big model.

He's planning on bringing a Stompa to stick it to everyone.

Given how bad Stompas are compared to Knights, the only one he's sticking it to is himself.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 20, 2019

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord
Speaking of recents games and cool terrain, I got a game in with some mates this weekend on a table with a train!

Took my in progress Red Corsair bike and demon engine army for its maiden run and had a blast

Mission was Four Pillars from CA 2019 and we ground each other down to a single squad each after 5 turns and got a draw. Man of the match for me was the disco lord, what a blender in melee! The bikes and demon engines went really well also, especially the massed bolter and plasma rapid fire on such fast platforms.

My opponents leviathan ruined a maulerfiend turn one but got clowned next turn when he got charged and exploded so severely he crippled everything around him :black101:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks everyone! I'm glad you like my army.

Deified Data posted:

Want you to promise that even when you start buying into the GW models that you'll still keep a unit or two of these guys in your army.

Painting all of these army guys gave me a bit of an appreciation for brush size/quality. I can see why painting these guys is fun and I definitely plan to pick up some kind of starter set when I find the oppratunity. Only A few at a time, I promise not to replace all off the army men at once :v:

I'll post the a report when I battle my friend. My friend has a little girl so we will be fighting over the "ruined" remains of various Barbie dream house. I have faith that The Emperor will bring us victory!

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008
Crosspost from the miniature thread.
This is my first attempt at using a light box and i was hoping for some feedback and possibly some tips.

My setup is 3 LED lamps, sides and top, in a homemade box. Im limited to the camera on a galaxy s6. Talk of people in this thread getting their work on the GW site inspired me to give it a go.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
That blue-green is gorgeous, how did you do it?

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Revelation 2-13 posted:

I think this sounds reasonable. I personally love the arquebuses, but that’s mainly because I think the look amazing and people are terrified off them. They’re very good against armies who rely on characters. Plasma vanguards are very good as well. Both suffer from putting really expensive guns on extremely squishy units. A couple of bolters will wipe them out real quick. Shroudpsalm helps, but it’s still still pretty bad, t3 is rough, especially with the new bolter rule. The boat will really help with that hopefully, and if it does plasma dudes may be better as they can leave and shoot.

Late to skitarri chat, but I run my plasma vans in a 10 squad for this reason. If I don't go first, they can weather light fire. Then with the Data tether and the synergy with the carbines (and I run Metalica forgeworld) they can pretty much always get in range to deliver the plasma shots I want. If I do go first, then they might survive a second round, or at least worry the opponent enough that they direct more serious firepower onto them.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Speckled Jim posted:

My setup is 3 LED lamps, sides and top, in a homemade box. Im limited to the camera on a galaxy s6. Talk of people in this thread getting their work on the GW site inspired me to give it a go.

That's fantastic. Both the paint job and the quality of the photograph.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Skitarii chat - Graia actually makes Vanguards a little stickier, especially if you can get cover, and gives a slim chance of surviving a plasma overload. I'm thinking of getting a Manipulus with the flamer and making that my Warlord with the Graia trait. It's probably not good, but it would make a good frontline/tarpit as any Vanguard that survive close combat get to unload plasma in there.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

The Deleter posted:

Skitarii chat - Graia actually makes Vanguards a little stickier, especially if you can get cover, and gives a slim chance of surviving a plasma overload. I'm thinking of getting a Manipulus with the flamer and making that my Warlord with the Graia trait. It's probably not good, but it would make a good frontline/tarpit as any Vanguard that survive close combat get to unload plasma in there.

More than any other army I feel admech suffer from single faction army syndrome - glad to see people not playing as Mars.

Personally I'm eyeing Lucius for the versatile deepstrike shenanigans after they nerfed Stygies, but I bet Graia is sick for the ability to get Vanguard firing into a unit point blank with their -toughness aura. Would finally make me feel vindicated for kitting all my Vanguard Alphas with melee weapons for dramatic effect.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Deified Data posted:

More than any other army I feel admech suffer from single faction army syndrome - glad to see people not playing as Mars.

Personally I'm eyeing Lucius for the versatile deepstrike shenanigans after they nerfed Stygies, but I bet Graia is sick for the ability to get Vanguard firing into a unit point blank with their -toughness aura. Would finally make me feel vindicated for kitting all my Vanguard Alphas with melee weapons for dramatic effect.

I'm going with Stygian because I want to be shooty and it seems like a good one. Not sure if the range will work out but I like the idea.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Stygies is great and probably still the second best FW. A pre-game 9" move for 1 cp is still a great stratagem even if it doesn't touch on the absurdity that was their infiltrate, and it's gonna get even better when we have a proper transport.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I went with Metalica solely because of the name.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Deified Data posted:

Stygies is great and probably still the second best FW. A pre-game 9" move for 1 cp is still a great stratagem even if it doesn't touch on the absurdity that was their infiltrate, and it's gonna get even better when we have a proper transport.

That stratagem and -2 to hit makes a squad of Dragoons pretty fun too.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Speckled Jim posted:

Crosspost from the miniature thread.
This is my first attempt at using a light box and i was hoping for some feedback and possibly some tips.

Holy poo poo, how did you do that blue green?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I bought my first WH40K terrain, Munitorum Armoured Containers. :kiddo: Looking forward to getting that in the mail so I can start properly playing with my plastic dudes.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

I said come in! posted:

Munitorum Armoured Containers.

Really broken for their points cost

Muninn
Dec 29, 2008
I've been meaning to try out edge highlighting with colored pencils. For anyone who has done this: what is the best brand of colored pencils to use? Additionally, my understanding is you need to varnish after to secure the pigment on the model. What's the best varnish for that purpose?

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Look for pencils with higher pigment density. Artist grade stuff would work best, stay away from the cheap stuff. You can varnish it the same as anything, but airbrushed varnish would be less likely to smudge. And as with all varnishes it will alter the color slightly.

Finished up a discount $3 cryptek made from reaper bits and lots of scarabs. Finally have a full army now, which is mostly just the random bullshit that seemed cool to paint or I got cheap off eBay.

So some crypteks and lords, a bunch of immortals, then nonsense like 27 scarabs, a pylon, a monolith, a couple spiders and a tesseract vault. Gonna place at ITC for sure.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

That is an extremely cool conversion. Nice work!

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
https://twitter.com/MengelMinis/status/1131207813869559808

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Badablack posted:

Finished up a discount $3 cryptek made from reaper bits and lots of scarabs.

That is a really cool Cryptek conversion.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

https://twitter.com/MengelMinis/status/1131221656880537602

Also interesting.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVfpoHkf_x8

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
What time is it? Time to buckle down and finish painting my admech so I have a painted, functional army by the time our bumper car drops. It's a (very belated lol) Mechanicus May.

10x Vanguard
10x Fulgurites
1x Datasmith
1x Enginseer
5x Infiltrators

Need to buy a couple more Kastelans and some Dragoons...

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Do we have any idea when Contrast will be in stores?

head58
Apr 1, 2013

PantsOptional posted:

Do we have any idea when Contrast will be in stores?

They said June.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

There is a lot praise, but also a lot of 'going to be good for the tabletop painter' in that video. Sounds perfect to me!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Revelation 2-13 posted:

There is a lot praise, but also a lot of 'going to be good for the tabletop painter' in that video. Sounds perfect to me!

Yeah at this point I plan on just buying the whole loving range and going apeshit with all of the stupid little projects I have. AdMech, Necromunda, Blood Bowl, Rogue Trader, Black Fortress, Sly Marbo, etc. If that gets me in the chair and cranking out a model per night I'll be extremely happy.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Contrast paints seem incredible. I feel like there has to be a hidden downside. Do they hold a final sealing varnish? Are they going to be way more expensive than regular paints? Do they cause cancer?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Contrast paints seem incredible. I feel like there has to be a hidden downside. Do they hold a final sealing varnish? Are they going to be way more expensive than regular paints? Do they cause cancer?

It’s been mentioned that because they settle thinner on the model than other paints, they’ll need sealing varnish. GW will apparently be putting out a brush-on ‘Ardcoat Matte along with the Contrast range and the Contrast medium. So, you called that.

Judging by the size of the pots they’ll probably have the same MSRP as the taller Shade pots.

(I’ll be over here getting into AK Interactive enamel washes and Abteilung 502 oil paints like a goddamn weirdo who doesn’t want working lungs.)

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

you can't thin them with water, is a big one.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Unironically owns.

GW getting pro painters in to see what they can do and shut people like me up was a very smart decision.

edit: A lot of people are just happy they got a free flight, but there's some genuine praise in there.

Yeast fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 22, 2019

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I expect them to cost as much if not more than shades. Also, I imagine you will burn through them faster than regular paints.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Really hate that none of my current projects will take to contrast paints well.

Anyone else considering a whole new project just to try them out? I've been eyeing Beastmen for AoS and I think they'd take to this like a dream. 40 Ungors in a week - why not?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I've got a Techpriest Dominus and a newly acquired Gryph Hound I can use the paints for.
If I end up buying them I suppose.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Yeast posted:

Unironically owns.

GW getting pro painters in to see what they can do and shut people like me up was a very smart decision.

edit: A lot of people are just happy they got a free flight, but there's some genuine praise in there.

The guy comparing it to Devlan Mud is what sold it to me. That from his perspective it's just going to be an accepted part of people's toolbox.

Deified Data posted:

Really hate that none of my current projects will take to contrast paints well.

Anyone else considering a whole new project just to try them out? I've been eyeing Beastmen for AoS and I think they'd take to this like a dream. 40 Ungors in a week - why not?

It looks like they work really well on organic, flowing surfaces. So skin, cloth, etc. For me that's perfect because it means I should be able to paint up a Rusty 17 quickly and also do some hive gangs. I have an... extensive backlog of random poo poo I'd like to just get done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Zuul the Cat posted:

I expect them to cost as much if not more than shades. Also, I imagine you will burn through them faster than regular paints.

Yeah, I can see them being more expensive. If they work as advertised then you won’t need to buy separate shades and layers for highlighting, so they will probably want to make each pot more expensive. Also, the pots are apparently larger than normal pots.