Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Thoughtseize + 3 mana Liliana in Explorer is going to cause an extremely high level of salt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Question for the thread: what cards are you sad to see rotate out, and what cards are you super loving happy to see rotate out? I'm excited to never see a Righteous Valkyrie or Elite Spellbinder in standard again.

I'll miss, as I said, Tergrid(her lantern specifically but the creature side was super fun too) and the shambling ghast/deadly dispute combo to be able to turn 3 lolth or Tergrid

Shooting Blanks posted:

You need Phyrexian Obliterator on there. It is a very hard counter to mono-R and any creature heavy decks that don't run a lot of removal.
sounds good, thanks! It took like an hour just to sift through the 1-2 drops so I just said gently caress it and continued as I've gone since.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Captain Invictus posted:

Question for the thread: what cards are you sad to see rotate out, and what cards are you super loving happy to see rotate out?
Sad to lose: Righteous Valkyrie, Starnheim Unleashed, and the rest of cool Angel stuff.

Super happy to never see again: Blizzard Brawl, Blood on the Snow, and the rest of evil Snow stuff.

Kaldheim is a land of contrasts!

Edit: Tasha's Hideous Laughter and Ruin Crab should rotate all the way into the sun.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I really enjoyed playing the crab song deck back when it was a thing, that’s my main memory of the ruin crab

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Standard has been a pile of suck but the last two format rotations have included the remastered sets and I have been going hog wild in those.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Angel bullshit that I'm particularly going to miss:

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I loving love the Oswald Fiddlebender mardu variant of the anvil sacrifice deck, so Oswald, Oswald is what I'm sad to see go.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

reignonyourparade posted:

I loving love the Oswald Fiddlebender mardu variant of the anvil sacrifice deck, so Oswald, Oswald is what I'm sad to see go.

Oh that reminds me, maybe I should play that Mardu Jan Jensen HBrawl deck some more

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Captain Invictus posted:

Question for the thread: what cards are you sad to see rotate out, and what cards are you super loving happy to see rotate out? I'm excited to never see a Righteous Valkyrie or Elite Spellbinder in standard again.

I’m a degenerate white aggro player, so I will actually miss Spellbinder and Luminarch Aspirant.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Goldspan Dragon was fun, but I'm glad it's time is up.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

I want to know if any form of Delver will be viable after we lose Expressive Iteration and Goldspan.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I am going to play Delver/Ledger Shredder/Battlemage and see what happens

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Yeah it sees some play in the ledger shredder decks and also I sometimes see it as a backup in the Illuminator Virtuoso decks.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I'll miss, as I said, Tergrid(her lantern specifically but the creature side was super fun too) and the shambling ghast/deadly dispute combo to be able to turn 3 lolth or Tergrid

sounds good, thanks! It took like an hour just to sift through the 1-2 drops so I just said gently caress it and continued as I've gone since.

Gonna miss: All Learn+Lessons, Shambling Ghast, Deadly Dispute, Wizard Class (works so well with Ledger Shredder), Doomskar, Devastating Mastery, Saw it Coming, Expressive Iteration, Creature Lands, Tergrid, Shadow's Verdict, Snakeskin Veil, Starnheim Unleashed, Return Upon the Tide, Skeletal Swarming, Binding the Old Gods

Can gently caress off: Cleric Class+all associated +1 counter on lifegain cards, Goldspan Dragon, Elite Spellbinder, Skyclave Apparition, Righteous Valkyrie, Luminarch Aspirant, Old Growth Troll, Esika's Chariot, Orah Skyclave Heirophant, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Maddening Cacophany, Ruin Crab

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Quit gettin' mad at cardboard :colbert:

They are all special in their own way and are worthy of our love.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
I can’t imagine black decks without Blood on the Snow. That plus at least one of Lolth or Professor Onyx is like in most of my black decks.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I think post-rotation (and new set day in general to a lesser extent) for the first day or two while everyone figures out the new meta and plays a bunch of jank is the best time to play Arena.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Question for the thread: what cards are you sad to see rotate out, and what cards are you super loving happy to see rotate out?

none and none. explorer doesn't rotate

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

kalel posted:

But I am looking forward to 3-mana Liliana.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

kalel posted:

My experience with explorer managed to get me enough reps to place 3rd at an rcq with spirits.

Wizards need to get their poo poo together to make arena pioneer compliant. :colbert:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Drewjitsu posted:

My experience with explorer managed to get me enough reps to place 3rd at an rcq with spirits.

Wizards need to get their poo poo together to make arena pioneer compliant. :colbert:

oh that's easy, they just need to add these cards *unfurls a cartoon scroll that goes in circles around the room and out the window into space*

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Very glad to see Goldspan Dragon rotate out. Going to miss deadly dispute and shambling ghast a lot. Dockside chef is not as good as skullport merchant since the merchant can help you ramp into a 5 drop or use that treasure to draw, and a 2 toughness creature won't survive as a blocker often.

kaaj posted:

I can’t imagine black decks without Blood on the Snow. That plus at least one of Lolth or Professor Onyx is like in most of my black decks.

Black aggro/Rakdos discard/rakdos sacrifice are going to be the defining black decks with the raven man, liliana, and stronghold arena in the next set. Loved the mono black control deck before Kamigawa came out but runes and boros aggro have pretty much run over it.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

kalel posted:

oh that's easy, they just need to add these cards *unfurls a cartoon scroll that goes in circles around the room and out the window into space*

I know, I know. I was really hoping that swiftspear was in Dom U, on account of it being suspiciously absent from the explorer anthology.

It's quite clear it will take them for loving ever to get to pioneer.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
otoh explorer is very fun so just go play that

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Explorer Angels is still technically my highest WR deck... what if i tried grinding that

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Explorer Angels is still technically my highest WR deck... what if i tried grinding that

no more grinding, you're cut off

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Somehow I'm almost at mythic just by grinding mono blue spirits in explorer. Probably won't make it by the cutoff but it's fun!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

no more grinding, you're cut off

I should have listened

at least the Izzards matches are literally 60-120 seconds

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
ruin crab and goldspan can gently caress off, but ill miss vorinclex bad. very fun attacking someone running white with him and watching them respond with wandering emperor, then mouse over everything trying to work out why they cant exile him. then do the same on their next turn when they use her +1 and dont get a loyalty counter

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Drewjitsu posted:

Pioneer in Arena might have the similar effect to Standard where the ready availability of cards and matchmaking at all times of day will kill in store play.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I pasted this gif in when it looked like i was going to finish 9-6 for the evening lol, but of course

At least I can definitively see that the idea of me ever being in the top 1200 was an complete mirage considering all the grinders are out in force, and I can just return to the Haze where individual losses no longer anger me and it's back to the general malaise on how long it takes to clock 10 wins

In explorer queue i run into little fuckface shitstains playing memory lapse every turn and taking 15 minutes to win, i honestly think it's worse than historic, at least in historic the broken decks move fast

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
^^^ take a goddamn break from playing this game that does extremely bad things to your psyche

quite stretched out posted:

ruin crab and goldspan can gently caress off, but ill miss vorinclex bad. very fun attacking someone running white with him and watching them respond with wandering emperor, then mouse over everything trying to work out why they cant exile him. then do the same on their next turn when they use her +1 and dont get a loyalty counter
Slamming Vorinclex to shatter their cookie cutter Angel/Lifegain counter plan is so drat good

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Simply Simon posted:

^^^ take a goddamn break from playing this game that does extremely bad things to your psyche

Slamming Vorinclex to shatter their cookie cutter Angel/Lifegain counter plan is so drat good

+1/+1 counters are obvious so its less funny (but obviously still cathartic) when you do that. the real payoff is in planeswalkers, or sagas. i even managed to catch someone off-guard with sanctuary warden once because they didnt realise it only got the single shield counter. anything that makes someone mouse around confusedly with a typically straightforward colour like green is really enjoyable to me

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Captain Invictus posted:

Don't keep playing if you're losing nonstop, take a break because it's probably not just bad luck but also you being on tilt

if you're making mistakes, sure, but in my experience, due to the very dumb way it tries to keep you at a 50% winrate, after i lose a few in a row the game always softballs me some really bad opponent

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

wolfman101 posted:

Does anyone have a standard anti-GW enchantments deck that is also good generally? Would love to get out some frustration.

see my Snow Golgari deck i posted not long ago. it got me to almost Mythic very quickly

edit:

3 x Eyetwitch
3 x Shambling Ghast
1 x Luxior, Giada's Gift
4 x Deadly Dispute
3 x Infernal Grasp
4 x Prosperous Innkeeper
3 x Sedgemoor Witch
2 x Body Launderer
2 x Sorin the Mirthless
3 x Binding the Old Gods
2 x Lolth, Spider Queen
2 x Blood on the Snow
3 x Titan of Industry
3 x the Meathook Massacre

1 x Tangled Florahedron
2 x Agadeem's Awakening
7 x Snow-Covered Swamp
8 x Snow-Covered Forest
2 x Darkbore Pathway
3 x Deathcap Glade

as for Lessons, just don't be a loser and grab Environmental Sciences every time. i truly don't know why so many people grab that instead of, like, something useful like Necrotic Fumes, Mascot Exhibition, or Containment Breach

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

quite stretched out posted:

+1/+1 counters are obvious so its less funny (but obviously still cathartic) when you do that. the real payoff is in planeswalkers, or sagas. i even managed to catch someone off-guard with sanctuary warden once because they didnt realise it only got the single shield counter. anything that makes someone mouse around confusedly with a typically straightforward colour like green is really enjoyable to me
Hell, it was a pleasant surprise to me when my Elspeth suddenly grew at double speed, let alone enter twice as fat

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Sad to lose: Righteous Valkyrie, Starnheim Unleashed, and the rest of cool Angel stuff.

Super happy to never see again: Blizzard Brawl, Blood on the Snow, and the rest of evil Snow stuff.

Kaldheim is a land of contrasts!

Edit: Tasha's Hideous Laughter and Ruin Crab should rotate all the way into the sun.

Bad news for you

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

No invulnerable so nowhere near as bad.

The spell i'm most conflicted about is skyclave apparition, very annoying card and just the worst. But also i had a playset of my own and it was very good

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Hit mythic with 30 minutes to go! Wow! It's pointless! At least mono blue spirits is loving amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Jarvisi posted:

Hit mythic with 30 minutes to go! Wow! It's pointless! At least mono blue spirits is loving amazing.

the client says the season doesn't end until 33 hours from now, fwiw