Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
Is swapping out exotics as easy as visiting the DuPont registry, listing what you're selling and picking out what you want next?

In other words, is it fairly common for an exotic to have several owners within a short amount of time, but still maintain the usual exotic low mileage?

The Murciélago is probably my favorite out of those photos. Lamborghini has been revising the Countach for 30 years in one way or another.

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jan 23, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

porter posted:

Tell me more about your mid nineties Legacy wagon :v:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

porter posted:

Also had a Murcielago. Old Diablo chassis showed its age. It creaked, and build quality wasn't great. Power was sluggish down low. Difficult to track properly. The AWD was clumsy and invasive. On the plus side I liked how it looked.
Here I was thinking "was the Gallardo too pedestrian for you..."

quote:

"...guess not." Good lord I love that car.

porter posted:

By my own admission, I simply got a bit lucky and made some timely choices.

I enjoy the posts you guys make showing your own vehicles and describing all the details. I like how passionate this forum is.
This is you isn't it? :v:. I appreciate your posts too, always fun seeing and hearing about various exotics.

Already posted my car on the first page, but here's an older pic before it got striped:

Behind it is my brother's 02 or 03 3 series, which he doesn't really drive much. His work involves a shitload of driving so he uses our dad's Civic hybrid w/carpool lane stickers. In the foreground corner is a piece of my old '99 Tacoma which we haven't sold cause apparently we need to move large objects every once in a while. Otherwise it's pretty much been in storage at another house ever since getting the Mini last March, up until last week when we bought some big rear end elliptical machine and drove up to deliver to my brother. Battery was dead, tires felt like cubes at first, but it seems ok for now. Otherwise my parents have a CR-V in there which probably gets used most out of all the cars.

Guess which car has the most upright windshield :v:

ThwartedEfforts
Aug 20, 2002

porter posted:

Your cars are straight from the lottery winner's first week but your house - off-topic I know but your house looks simply stunning. Whereabouts are you, roughly?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

ThwartedEfforts posted:

Your cars are straight from the lottery winner's first week but your house - off-topic I know but your house looks simply stunning. Whereabouts are you, roughly?

I'd say he's in AI if he's reading this.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
My streetfighter I posted a few pages back died on the weekend, so I replaced it on Wednesday with this:

2005 GSXR1000, 26k km, full Micron system, Ohlins steering damper, tinted double bubble screen, fender eliminator, new rearsets, braided lines, $12k AUD with 3 months reg and a new rear tyre. It's in drat good nick, only problem seems to be that the gear indicator is gone, looks like the LCD display died.

ThwartedEfforts
Aug 20, 2002

meatpimp posted:

I'd say he's in AI if he's reading this.

Stunning.

Call me a human being if you like but architecture and cars gives me the same impressively sized boner. And you just don't see houses like that here, more's the pity.

I have no wish to invoke the wrath of our local deity so I'll shut up now :(

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
The internet amazes me, I post my $1300 beater truck that I'm in love with and 20 posts later porter posts cars he's owned this year that (combined) are worth more than I'll make in my lifetime. Not a complaint, merely an observation.

Craziness aside, porter you should do an ask/tell thread about the nuances of exotic ownership, from what the buying process is like to driving something worth more than most peoples homes, using the drivethru with your fancy lambo/slr doors, etc.

I agree with thwartedefforts, your house looks amazing. Has there ever been a post your house/apartment/mom's basement thread on the forums?

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows

2ndclasscitizen posted:

My streetfighter I posted a few pages back died on the weekend, so I replaced it on Wednesday with this:

2005 GSXR1000, 26k km, full Micron system, Ohlins steering damper, tinted double bubble screen, fender eliminator, new rearsets, braided lines, $12k AUD with 3 months reg and a new rear tyre. It's in drat good nick, only problem seems to be that the gear indicator is gone, looks like the LCD display died.

Beautiful bike!

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Here are both my cars after a long day of detailing.

1991 BMW 318IS
1991 Nissan 300ZX NA Slicktop

For some odd reason, my most recent cars have been 1991's, before the BMW I had a 1991 F-150.

The BMW is a California car and had major clearcoat damage. I took it to a shadetree guy and he repainted it for $800. He did an amazing job, he is very good at what he does, he just wants to work for himself on his own terms. He does a good enough job that Im sure he will be raising his prices shortly. I am going to take the Z to him too, I have some cracking below the doors and a few dents from a hailstorm that the PDR guy could not get.

porter
Dec 30, 2003

Coffee Jones posted:

Is swapping out exotics as easy as visiting the DuPont registry, listing what you're selling and picking out what you want next?

In other words, is it fairly common for an exotic to have several owners within a short amount of time, but still maintain the usual exotic low mileage?

The Murciélago is probably my favorite out of those photos. Lamborghini has been revising the Countach for 30 years in one way or another.

Selling newer exotics can be a dangerous game. It's just like selling a normal vehicle, except you get 1 call/month instead of 1 call/day. You have to work with what's on the table. When the economy is good, usually the offers are reasonable. These days, the offers are stinkbombs and one can be buried for a long time. These vehicles are illiquid for those looking to not get anally violated.

There's no hard fast rule for exotics and ownership. Some guys buy their dream car and keep it for 10 years. Other guys have a dream of owning as many cars as they can in a short period of time. I've swung one way so now I intend to calm my poo poo down and save some money.

porter
Dec 30, 2003

ThwartedEfforts posted:

I'm in Canada, so the driving season can be a wee bit short. We lose roughly 5 months to snow.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

porter posted:

What did you choose to buy a huge shipment of drugs and then sell it? I too want to know what you do. Also, how old are you?

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

dreesemonkey posted:

Craziness aside, porter you should do an ask/tell thread about the nuances of exotic ownership, from what the buying process is like to driving something worth more than most peoples homes, using the drivethru with your fancy lambo/slr doors, etc.

The windows on them open just like they do in anything else, so the drive through is pretty simple. Might be a bit more reaching involved due to the low height of the car and some of the wider ones will be a real tight fit.

Driving them is quite simple too, much like the average $1300 hooptie. Get in, turn key/press button, go. Modern exotics aren't those of yesteryear when you had no idea what shape the car would be on any given morning. For example, I've seen a Gallardo Superleggera with 30k on it that's held up as well as any normal car.

RealKyleH posted:

What did you choose to buy a huge shipment of drugs and then sell it? I too want to know what you do.

Seriously?

porter
Dec 30, 2003

dreesemonkey posted:

The internet amazes me, I post my $1300 beater truck that I'm in love with and 20 posts later porter posts cars he's owned this year that (combined) are worth more than I'll make in my lifetime. Not a complaint, merely an observation.

I agree with thwartedefforts, your house looks amazing. Has there ever been a post your house/apartment/mom's basement thread on the forums?

Thank you, and thanks guys. I'm pretty happy just posting a few pictures and then reading the next 20 pages from the shadows :)

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

porter posted:

Thank you, and thanks guys. I'm pretty happy just posting a few pictures and then reading the next 20 pages from the shadows :)

While you're here, got anything on that Pontiac hooptie behind the Lambo in the second shot? It looks like a LeMons car in the making.

Blow Dog
Aug 14, 2004
no

porter posted:

Neat rides - head overload though, what do you actually own right now?
The 560's sweet, I went to the Geneva motorshow courtesy of Lambo and had an excellent intro to the car. Put an order down for one there and then but have since pulled out as a result of the mental world we live in.

I'm even pretty sure I'll put out of the new GT3 order. I've been asked for a deposit already on it, but I think I'll cancel in light of economic circumstance!

Love the LP though, right colour ;) Any track pics.

porter
Dec 30, 2003

redscare posted:

While you're here, got anything on that Pontiac hooptie behind the Lambo in the second shot? It looks like a LeMons car in the making.

Ha! I noticed that piece too. Needs some love.

porter
Dec 30, 2003

Blow Dog posted:

Neat rides - head overload though, what do you actually own right now?
The 560's sweet, I went to the Geneva motorshow courtesy of Lambo and had an excellent intro to the car. Put an order down for one there and then but have since pulled out as a result of the mental world we live in.

I'm even pretty sure I'll put out of the new GT3 order. I've been asked for a deposit already on it, but I think I'll cancel in light of economic circumstance!

Love the LP though, right colour ;) Any track pics.

No track pics yet. And I hear ya on the economy. Our local microeconomy masked the crisis somewhat, so when it hit us, over as little as 60 days the climate was upside-down.

I'm laying low and chilling on the car thing for a good while now. I've got my Jeep and 560 and I'm pretty content. Nice stable you have yourself. The P-car is tits, and your photography from your other thread is nice.

Lambster Bisque
Dec 31, 2007

by angerbotSD

porter posted:

Selling newer exotics can be a dangerous game. It's just like selling a normal vehicle, except you get 1 call/month instead of 1 call/day. You have to work with what's on the table. When the economy is good, usually the offers are reasonable. These days, the offers are stinkbombs and one can be buried for a long time. These vehicles are illiquid for those looking to not get anally violated.

Agreed on this, my father is trying to sell a Testarossa he's had for a couple of months now and is barely getting any calls at all on it - anything he does get offered is loving ridiculous.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

I just like watching porter and Blow Dog discuss things like buying and selling super expensive exotic cars while I live vicariously through both of them.

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

DropShadow posted:

I just like watching porter and Blow Dog discuss things like buying and selling super expensive exotic cars while I live vicariously through both of them.

This should be your motivation to get out the corner and start hustlin'.

solarbeam
Nov 29, 2005

Xenoid posted:

This should be your motivation to get out the corner and start hustlin'.

yeah, I'd like to think that that will be me in ~15 years after graduating college, saving money, starting a business, etc but this economy is becoming quite an annoyance

it's my dream to own a couple of exotic cars :) I drive a car I like right now so I'm not complaining though :)

snadsnad
Dec 31, 2002

Simkin posted:

Tell me more about your mid nineties Legacy wagon :v:

God dammit, beaten. I was gonna tell him to stop teasing us....

slowspeedracer
Oct 6, 2007

My new and improved Spec V posted a couple days ago. Now with Speed bumps and a little bit of custom rubber swirls. I love it when people cross 2 lanes of traffic!!

Blow Dog
Aug 14, 2004
no

porter posted:

No track pics yet. And I hear ya on the economy. Our local microeconomy masked the crisis somewhat, so when it hit us, over as little as 60 days the climate was upside-down.

I'm laying low and chilling on the car thing for a good while now. I've got my Jeep and 560 and I'm pretty content. Nice stable you have yourself. The P-car is tits, and your photography from your other thread is nice.

Thanks bud.
Been lusting over those superleggeras lately too, they've really become affordable lately but the one thing you can't deny is that horrible transmission. I understand things were massively improved for the LP560 - do you have the eGear or manual?

Wise move reducing the stable - it's so tempting to go out and snap a bargain but nobody knows when the price haemorrhaging will stop.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

snadsnad posted:

God dammit, beaten. I was gonna tell him to stop teasing us....

Porter, are you secretly building up a 1992 Subaru Legacy Turbo wagon for rallying? Have you swapped in a manual transmission yet? This is far more important than anything to do with shiny, happy exotics.

RALLY :black101:

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.
Blow Dog:

Is Porsche using a MacPhearson front for the 997 GT3? If so, what suspension comes out of the box with the car? Whats the adjustability - do they have reservoirs?

porter:

Almost same question but I am pretty sure Lambo uses a double wishbone or multilink front. What are the stock shocks like (same questions as Blow Dog) ?

Porter, if you really like track days, you should get in to wheel to wheel racing. Canada has some of the best tracks, if not the best, in North America. You look like you have the interest and means to not fizzle out like most of the crowd, give me a shout over PM if you're interested.

Belldandy fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 23, 2009

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
I haven't been around here very long, is it a running joke to misspell "MacPherson"?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Belldandy posted:

Blow Dog:

Is Porsche using a MacPhearson front for the 997 GT3? If so, what suspension comes out of the box with the car? Whats the adjustability - do they have reservoirs?

R&T posted:

To turn the Carrera S into a worthy track racer, the GT3 RS takes the same basic front MacPherson strut and rear multilink suspension setup and firms it up with more aggressive springs and shocks. The Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) can already change the RS's ride character on the fly with a push of button in the cockpit. But to allow additional fine-tuning of the suspension on the track, front and rear struts have external threads and spring perches for ride-height adjustments. Further, at the rear are unique split track-control arms; metal bushings replace rubber ones for more precise wheel location at speed. Both front and rear anti-roll bars are also adjustable.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=31&article_id=6458&print_page=y

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

ab0z posted:

I haven't been around here very long, is it a running joke to misspell "MacPherson"?

Yes :)

Thanks Ziploc!

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST

two_beer_bishes posted:

Jesus Christ

Great, thanks for quoting an entire picture post which is RIGHT ABOVE YOU just to add two words.

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST

RealKyleH posted:

What did you choose to buy a huge shipment of drugs and then sell it? I too want to know what you do. Also, how old are you?

SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP

porter
Dec 30, 2003

Blow Dog posted:

Thanks bud.
Been lusting over those superleggeras lately too, they've really become affordable lately but the one thing you can't deny is that horrible transmission. I understand things were massively improved for the LP560 - do you have the eGear or manual?

Wise move reducing the stable - it's so tempting to go out and snap a bargain but nobody knows when the price haemorrhaging will stop.

I really like the SLs, and think they are able cars. Deep discounts on all things Lambo at the moment, and most things Ferrari and Porsche too. Unmolested examples are going for a song.

Lambo SPA was so full of poo poo with their last communique stating Q4 profits. Dealers have been forced to floor heaps of new product, with inventory climbing. So sure SPA has been moving vehicles... to dealers. End users aren't biting right now, so we've got a glut of SLs and 560s sitting at docks with dealers unable to provide showroom real estate.

I think a lot of Audi R&D dollars have been spent on perfecting the egear. I know it's outsourced but I believe it was heavily overseen. The end result is that the egear in the 560 is good stuff. The previous iteration was intolerable. My 560 came with egear and I'm happy with it.

porter
Dec 30, 2003

Belldandy posted:

porter:

Almost same question but I am pretty sure Lambo uses a double wishbone or multilink front. What are the stock shocks like (same questions as Blow Dog) ?

Porter, if you really like track days, you should get in to wheel to wheel racing. Canada has some of the best tracks, if not the best, in North America. You look like you have the interest and means to not fizzle out like most of the crowd, give me a shout over PM if you're interested.

I've considered getting myself a radical and flying out to Vegas every couple weekends and booting around in their local series. I've put all sorts of discretionary income sucking purchases on hold though, so perhaps in the future.

The 560 OEM shocks are good, if not a tad soft. By contrast the R8 suspension was great. The Murcielago shocks are horrific, and are commonly replaced due to leakage. The lift system uses them and it kills their lifespan.

porter
Dec 30, 2003

Simkin posted:

Porter, are you secretly building up a 1992 Subaru Legacy Turbo wagon for rallying? Have you swapped in a manual transmission yet? This is far more important than anything to do with shiny, happy exotics.

RALLY :black101:

Haha you guys. No. The Subie belongs to a young college chap that photographs my vehicles from time to time.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

cmorrow001 posted:

Beautiful bike!

Thanks man, I'm quite pleased with it. Just gotta try and keep it shiny side up when I take it round Eastern Creek.

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon
Okay, now I have a question for the mysterious and mythical porter: I saw you owned an SLR once and I was just curious to know if there are any particular, over-arching issues with newer Benz's in general. From what I can glean through the powers of the Interwebs, they seem pretty badass. Am I missing something?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

porter posted:

My daily is now a Jeep.

Ha ha, "one of these things is not like the others."

Fantastic cars man, you're an awesome part of AI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parabellum
Feb 26, 2004
Si Vis Pace

porter posted:

I'm in Canada, so the driving season can be a wee bit short. We lose roughly 5 months to snow.

drat. You can keep the 560, I'll keep the 12 months a year I can drive my '63 Special :v:
Honestly though how do you guys put up with snow? It must be unbearable.