Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
localized
Mar 30, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

DP DP DP DP DP DP DP DP DP DP DP

I was told that there is a DP school in the Maritimes somewhere? I was looking at classes in Florida to get my basic DP certification before I ship as a cadet next year, but since I'm already just about as close to the Maritimes as you can get in the US, that may be a better option. The courses down south seem to run about $2500-$3000, which is more than I can afford right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magpie
Apr 28, 2006

localized posted:

... to get my basic DP certification before I ship as a cadet next year...

I thought as of January 2012 you couldn't log any DP watchkeeping time without an OOW ticket? Are you wanting the ticket early to help get a job later on?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
^^^ Yeah, I don't know about that, but you'd probably need some sea time before you took the DP course. What school are you at, MMA?

It's gonna be AT LEAST that price everywhere, really.

There's a place in PEI (http://www.hollandcollege.com/marine_training_centre/dp_hi_pap.php) but I've never heard of them outside of "There's a place in PEI that teaches DP". Really, they've got a full array of continuing ed courses, and I can't recall ever meeting anyone who'd been there.

The Marine Institute of Memorial University of Newfoundland (AKA Marine, MI, Memorial, St. John's) also offer the course (http://www.mi.mun.ca/cms/training/courses/#d). They're, obviously, in Newfoundland. I've also heard of them, because it's loving MI, Canada's biggest English language marine school. (I read recently in the papers that IMQ was bigger, still investigating)

localized
Mar 30, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

^^^ Yeah, I don't know about that, but you'd probably need some sea time before you took the DP course. What school are you at, MMA?

It's gonna be AT LEAST that price everywhere, really.

There's a place in PEI (http://www.hollandcollege.com/marine_training_centre/dp_hi_pap.php) but I've never heard of them outside of "There's a place in PEI that teaches DP". Really, they've got a full array of continuing ed courses, and I can't recall ever meeting anyone who'd been there.

The Marine Institute of Memorial University of Newfoundland (AKA Marine, MI, Memorial, St. John's) also offer the course (http://www.mi.mun.ca/cms/training/courses/#d). They're, obviously, in Newfoundland. I've also heard of them, because it's loving MI, Canada's biggest English language marine school. (I read recently in the papers that IMQ was bigger, still investigating)

Yea I'm at MMA. I have a friend who went to the Gulf of Mexico as a cadet working on OSVs, and he was saying that he wished he had gone to DP school because the time he got as a cadet would have counted towards his DP assistant certification, making it easier to pick up his full DPO once he graduates.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

localised, is the Bear coming back to NZ? And will you be on it? Many beers will be had if yes.

localized
Mar 30, 2008

Two Finger posted:

localised, is the Bear coming back to NZ? And will you be on it? Many beers will be had if yes.

I have no idea where Cal Maritime is going this year. I heard that they were hurting for cash so they weren't doing a Pacific crossing. Our training ship is the TS State of Maine, which is a sistership to the Golden Bear, just repowered with a lovely six cylinder ferry engine. Our cruise is heading south this year, visiting Galveston, Texas, Caracao, Bermuda, and Charleston, South Carolina.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
We get to go to Duluth, Detroit, Toledo, AND CLEVELAND, suck it other academies

Fish Shalami
Feb 6, 2005

What is shalami?
At least you guys have a training ship. Texas A&M stole ours. Pretty sure KP is closing soon anyways...

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

We didn't have a training ship; they just shipped us out as cadets wherever they found berths. AFAIK, none of the schools in Canada have training ships... I guess the Coast Guard college has a few boats, but nothing that'd generate sea time.

Went in the Arctic, St-Petersburg, Galveston, New Orleans, Spain, Belgium, Italy, France, Malta, half the fricking Caribbean, and, you know, the Great Lakes and most of Eastern Canada.

As a cadet :smug:

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 13, 2013

camino
Feb 23, 2006
Having lived in both, I'll take Detroit of Charleston any day. If only because of the Citadel.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Two Finger posted:

Bear is going to Sac, then like Mexico, Costa Rica and Jamaica or something. Usually they rotate between a South America, Asia and South Pacific cruise so they wouldnt head back to New Zealand for two more years. The California schools are hurting for money though so I dont know what is going to happen.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Is there a requirement in the states that you have to have some of your time on a training ship? Like I said, none of the schools in Canada(We have 5 or 6, depending how you count...) have training ships of note, so the whole idea of being stuck on a boat with my entire class is just :psyduck:.

Two cadets to a boat, or four if two of them are downstairs. That's the maximum, and I'm sticking to that :colbert:

In other news, I just registered to renew my Advanced First Aid. Four days, 9 - 5, 535$. It is, however, in Québec city, which is an awesome city to be stuck in for four days.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
No requirement but some schools get them if MARAD has extra ships. The MMA sends all their cadets on merchant ships but slots aren't always easy to come by so schools use training ships. It really depends on how the school is structured.

Nothing against Kings Point but the state school students usually seem much better prepared when they start going out as cadets. Most of the KP cadets barely know what a wrench is when they get out and its all up to the engineers on board to train them if they feel like doing so. The Golden Bear sits at the pier in Carquinez next to the school and is used year round for training so students get to see things in class and then do it on the ship.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 12, 2012

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

We had a fairly complete engine room inside the school, as well as a seamanship workshop... Seriously, there's a winch in the basement. It'd be a pain in the rear end to use an actual boat in the winter, they'd have to heat it on an already cramped budget and all.

I don't know how much practical experience the Engineering students get; I do know that students at the Marine Institute in St John's get another seatime break because they have more workshop time... Our guys get their third class after 12 months (Fourth after eight or something? I don't know, the engineer licensing stuff is weird.)

localized
Mar 30, 2008
MMA sends the freshmen and junior classes out together on a 60 day training cruise every year, rotating between the Caribbean and Europe every two years. The sophomores are shipped off as cadets while the freshmen and juniors go on cruise. Maine Maritime is mostly engineers at the moment, so I know that billets were hard to come by for the engineers looking to get sea time. Our training ship is used year round for classes and labs, as well as watch standing. During the fall semester the freshmen class is split into four companies who rotate through living on the ship, so it is used as housing as well. This year the freshmen class was so large that many students are being sent to SUNY to cruise with them for the summer, as the State of Maine wont have enough space for them all.

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86

localized posted:

I have no idea where Cal Maritime is going this year. I heard that they were hurting for cash so they weren't doing a Pacific crossing. Our training ship is the TS State of Maine, which is a sistership to the Golden Bear, just repowered with a lovely six cylinder ferry engine. Our cruise is heading south this year, visiting Galveston, Texas, Caracao, Bermuda, and Charleston, South Carolina.

spent two weeks in dry dock in Curacao before christmas be sure to visint Campo Alegre :pervert:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Mirage

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

FV remind me again, you've got a Chief Mate's?
If you ARE going to HAL you might start as second... not really sure

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Yeah, Chief Mate unlimited. I haven't written that email yet because stuff came up, I'm gonna stay ashore for a little while. That first aid class makes a convenient excuse :-D

As to rank, I don't care too much, as long as I get better than cadet's wages and my sea time counts.

Fish Shalami
Feb 6, 2005

What is shalami?
KP cadets get the majority of their sea days on commercial ships. Those that don't quite meet the necessary days to sit for license make up the difference on the training ship. But we had to get rid of ours training ship since supposedly the pier where it was tied up is being renovated.

I got about 330 days on four different ships as a cadet and saw a good chunk of the world, actually went to all seven continents.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

Yeah, Chief Mate unlimited. I haven't written that email yet because stuff came up, I'm gonna stay ashore for a little while. That first aid class makes a convenient excuse :-D

As to rank, I don't care too much, as long as I get better than cadet's wages and my sea time counts.

Let's spill drinks in the officer's bar.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fish Shalami posted:

KP cadets get the majority of their sea days on commercial ships. Those that don't quite meet the necessary days to sit for license make up the difference on the training ship. But we had to get rid of ours training ship since supposedly the pier where it was tied up is being renovated.

Great Lakes also does majority commercial. Engine does a diesel and a steamship, deck does a laker and a trip to sea.

Bob Pelvis
Jul 11, 2003
HAMSTER
HAMSTER
HAMSTER
HAMSTER
HAMSTER

P.S. IF I DON'T PAYPAL YOU $10, FEEL FREE TO POUR MOLTEN LEAD DOWN MY ANUS
Well I made it back from Guinea alive! Huzzah! There were a few security issues: a bunch of naked pirates boarded us and stole our lifeboat engine, and we had some fire nozzles stolen. Nothing too major! We had a crack team of local security guards on board when the ship was in port. They used to go through our garbage when they thought we weren't looking, taking plastic bottles and old calendars. We also suspect they had a hand in the theft that took place. But a crack team nonetheless!

I've been to some poor countries, but nothing like Guinea. It's poverty on an unimaginable scale. On the drive to the port from the airport there were blind kids begging for money from cars, holding on to the shoulder of their friends to avoid being run over on a busy main road. There were a lot of amputees around, presumably having been mixed up in some nasty war (Guinea borders Liberia and Sierra Leone).

On the other hand, the weather was lovely - the wind was never above force 4.

This guys name is Paul. He lives inside the port, and sleeps on top of this shack. He used to help us tie up the ship. He didn't get paid for this but he took his job extremely seriously. Once, during mooring operations, when one of the fenders became stuck, Paul jumped down on to the fender to try to sort it out; when he still couldn't rectify the problem, he took his boiler suit off and jumped into the water, with a knife, and managed to get the fender free. He doesn't get paid for this. Ships may give him water, clothes and soap from time to time, but he's not employed in any kind of official way.
On the side of his shack he would write things like "Stop war", "God forgive me", and "Me like smoke the best". He was an interesting character.

If any of you ever think you're sailing on a crappy ship, just remember it could be worse, you could be on a West African fishing boat. Utter loving death traps.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Bob Pelvis posted:

If any of you ever think you're sailing on a crappy ship, just remember it could be worse, you could be on a West African fishing boat. Utter loving death traps.

:stonk:

Holy gently caress.

What were you doing, seismic survey work?

Bob Pelvis
Jul 11, 2003
HAMSTER
HAMSTER
HAMSTER
HAMSTER
HAMSTER

P.S. IF I DON'T PAYPAL YOU $10, FEEL FREE TO POUR MOLTEN LEAD DOWN MY ANUS

FrozenVent posted:

:stonk:

Holy gently caress.

What were you doing, seismic survey work?

No, it was DP supply boat work for a drill ship. I'm going to be doing the basic DP course at the end of the month. Hopefully these stories I hear of DP operators making megabucks turn out to be true.

The DP system is quite straight forward, it's like a really easy video game, but one that you can't gently caress up on even once. I was doing 6 hours on 6 hours off while alongside, which can get very boring/exhausting.

Are there any other jobs in the world where people work 6 on 6 off? It's loving ridiculous. It can't be good for your body. If anyone on SA is a high ranking member of the IMO, please sort it out thanks.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Bob Pelvis posted:

No, it was DP supply boat work for a drill ship. I'm going to be doing the basic DP course at the end of the month. Hopefully these stories I hear of DP operators making megabucks turn out to be true.

The DP system is quite straight forward, it's like a really easy video game, but one that you can't gently caress up on even once. I was doing 6 hours on 6 hours off while alongside, which can get very boring/exhausting.

Are there any other jobs in the world where people work 6 on 6 off? It's loving ridiculous. It can't be good for your body. If anyone on SA is a high ranking member of the IMO, please sort it out thanks.

That's just another wonderful commonly used shift schedule. Its poo poo since you are lucky to get 4 hours of sleep in a row. You could do 12's or do like 8 on 4 off 4 on 8 off but there aren't many good ways.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

lightpole posted:

That's just another wonderful commonly used shift schedule. Its poo poo since you are lucky to get 4 hours of sleep in a row. You could do 12's or do like 8 on 4 off 4 on 8 off but there aren't many good ways.

Eight on four off is the best schedule, unless we count cruise ships working eight-sixteen.

Canadian companies usually do 4 on 8 off, with two hours before and after being your overtime stand-by of sort... So if they need an extra guy in those hours, it's you.

When an "Automatic" self unloader unloads, they need two officers and two ABs on deck at all time, to do the actual unloading. So you're essentially eight on, four off, eight on. It's not too bad when the unload's four hours, but...

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 13, 2013

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I knew I'd regret it but I just read the Costa Concordia thread in GBS and I think my brain has broken literally every single thing everyone is posting is completely wrong in every way

OH WHAT THE HELL some guy just seriously in no form of irony suggested that maybe it's a bad idea to have one man in charge, goddamn what the gently caress

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Two Finger posted:

OH WHAT THE HELL some guy just seriously in no form of irony suggested that maybe it's a bad idea to have one man in charge, goddamn what the gently caress

I especially like the guy who went "Hey, the aviation industry's developed a system called 'cockpit resources management', maybe they can apply that to the marine industry..." Great idea, but we don't have cockpits! Maybe we could call it Bridge Resources Management?

:negative:

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 06:14 on May 13, 2013

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Two Finger posted:

I knew I'd regret it but I just read the Costa Concordia thread in GBS and I think my brain has broken literally every single thing everyone is posting is completely wrong in every way

We need two people in charge so we have twice as many people to blame.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

I especially like the guy who went "Hey, the aviation industry's developed a system called 'cockpit resources management', maybe they can apply that to the marine industry..." Great idea, but we don't have cockpits! Maybe we could call it Bridge Resources Management?

:negative:

I can't decide if the attempted humour or the serious posts are worse, they both hurt my head. Christ I hate GBS.

I challenge you to find the most retarded post in there that you can.

Here's a few decent ones:

abigserve posted:

I really want to know what was going through his head when he hit the rock, then did not immediately evacuate.

abigserve posted:

I'm no maritime engineer but wouldn't a huge, gaping hole in the side of the ship prevent you from literally moving anywhere, let alone all the way to the next port?

Nckdictator posted:

Random thought I had about maritime safety . What's to prevent cruise ships-or other large ships- from installing nets between the deck and the waterline to catch anyone who might fall overboard?
Ever hear of a railing?

And finally, the best of all:

Decrepus posted:

I would have mutinied.

Fish Shalami
Feb 6, 2005

What is shalami?
Anyone here go to SUNY? I was thinking of taking a 45 day job on the training ship to let my card age and just something to do. If the ship is a complete disaster though I'll say to hell with it.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Fish Shalami posted:

Anyone here go to SUNY? I was thinking of taking a 45 day job on the training ship to let my card age and just something to do. If the ship is a complete disaster though I'll say to hell with it.

I sailed with some people that did and heard it wasn't too bad. They hit the Caribbean and Europe I think.

You haven't gone rigs yet? It seems like every day I see another post on FB from 1sts quitting tankers and hopping on a rig. One of the guys in the class below me got on with Maersk Drilling last year and has been getting promotions monthly until now he has his own rig and crew he is in charge of. He's making 180k. The rig companies are just going insane over equipment and people right now. Good luck telling union officials that though.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fish Shalami posted:

Wild, they hire crew on a seasonal basis? Our training ship has permanent engineers and the mates are deck faculty.

Fish Shalami
Feb 6, 2005

What is shalami?

lightpole posted:

I sailed with some people that did and heard it wasn't too bad. They hit the Caribbean and Europe I think.

You haven't gone rigs yet? It seems like every day I see another post on FB from 1sts quitting tankers and hopping on a rig. One of the guys in the class below me got on with Maersk Drilling last year and has been getting promotions monthly until now he has his own rig and crew he is in charge of. He's making 180k. The rig companies are just going insane over equipment and people right now. Good luck telling union officials that though.

I'm trying to get on a rig, transocean says they've been hiring thirds now for three years, and I must have sent them like 20 applications, and nothing. That 28 on/off schedule is looking pretty nice about now. I've only been going to the hall for about a two weeks now though. drat group 1 guys keep grabbing everything.

I'm not taking that TV Empire State job, they won't pay travel and it only pays $115 a day. Pretty bad.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Fish Shalami posted:

I'm trying to get on a rig, transocean says they've been hiring thirds now for three years, and I must have sent them like 20 applications, and nothing. That 28 on/off schedule is looking pretty nice about now. I've only been going to the hall for about a two weeks now though. drat group 1 guys keep grabbing everything.

I'm not taking that TV Empire State job, they won't pay travel and it only pays $115 a day. Pretty bad.

Its a training ship, not sure what you were expecting. The only reason I would go on the Bear is if they were doing the South Pacific cruise or I needed license time.

Yeah I've sent resumes to Transocean for the 3rds job but they have had it up forever and mainly hire right out of school. Most people are going to Noble or Maersk or one of the other gulf companies. I know they aren't always 28/28, I think Noble is 21/21 which means you spend a lot of days in transit.

For whoever was asking, the US training ships carry a Chief and 1st through the year and then hire several watch officers to stand watch during the training cruise. There's no need to employ 3 engineers permanently when the ships spend most of their time cold iron dockside.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Fish Shalami posted:

$115 a day? Goddamn, even HAL will pay more than that.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Two Finger posted:

$115 a day? Goddamn, even HAL will pay more than that.

115$ a day is 14.38$ an hour, for eight hours. That's about what the security guards at McDonald's make here.

Fish Shalami
Feb 6, 2005

What is shalami?

FrozenVent posted:

115$ a day is 14.38$ an hour, for eight hours. That's about what the security guards at McDonald's make here.

Couple that with the fact that there are a bunch of Midshipmen from a rival school who will probably give me lip the entire trip while I'm trying to teach them. No thanks.

Its only redeeming quality is that it is going to Azores and Iceland.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Fish Shalami posted:

Its only redeeming quality is that it is going to Azores and Iceland.

Disregard previous post. I'd take that job. Assuming the port stays are long and relatively not busy.

The thing to remember about cadets is that no matter how much lip they give, they're still loving cadets, you still own their loving asses and you can lip them right the gently caress back until you destroy their fragile psyche. Then you rebuild them into actually useful members of seafaring society.

I get cadets from rival schools all the time, I just make fun of them for their choice of schools / inability to speak French. Then they go all ":smith: yeah, I guess MI/BCIT/GB does suck..." while I :smug: and shut up about IMQ.

There is no such thing as a maritime school that doesn't suck. In Canada at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

Disregard previous post. I'd take that job. Assuming the port stays are long and relatively not busy.

The thing to remember about cadets is that no matter how much lip they give, they're still loving cadets, you still own their loving asses and you can lip them right the gently caress back until you destroy their fragile psyche. Then you rebuild them into actually useful members of seafaring society.

I get cadets from rival schools all the time, I just make fun of them for their choice of schools / inability to speak French. Then they go all ":smith: yeah, I guess MI/BCIT/GB does suck..." while I :smug: and shut up about IMQ.

There is no such thing as a maritime school that doesn't suck. In Canada at least.

On the Bear at least, you get 3 days in port. Usually the watch officers split it up into 24 hour watches so they get two days off. The money is not great but you can go to cool ports which would be the only reason to actually go on one. This year they have a lovely cruise but last year was South Pacific which is awesome and next year is Asia which is all right.

• Locked thread