Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Avery Brooks is a bad actor. His vocal quirks are funnier than William Shatner's in TOS

DS9 was still great though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

FMguru posted:

:swoon:

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

shame on a kitty who try to run game on a kitty

wu buck wild wit tha trigga

Amethyst posted:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

FMguru posted:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

golgo13sf posted:

Sure as gently caress wasn't me, I slogged through 2 of the sequels and said gently caress this

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
who else knows anything about opencog its like an open source artifical entelligeionce machine or something
sounds sci fi

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mr_jim posted:

yeah, i like his essay collections better than his fiction.

vonnegut short stories own so loving hard

man without a country for you unwashed masses

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pram posted:

ohhh yeah this owns btw if you havent seen it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfI69DC_jaw

stop giving terry gilliam drugs

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

Amethyst posted:

Avery Brooks is a bad actor. His vocal quirks are funnier than William Shatner's in TOS

DS9 was still great though

nah, avery brooks owns.

Louis Riel
Aug 25, 2009
lol at eveyone who read more than 3 uplift novels.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I just read through the Helliconia trilogyby Brian Aldiss. drat good idea for a sci-fi series: Helliconia is in a solar system which itself orbits a red giant, making the planet have regular short seasons, as well as long seasons where a year lasts over millenia.

the human civilization nearly goes under over each long winter and the other intelligent beings, the goatmenphagors take over.

too bad he really didn't do very much with it. all three books are pretty much soaps about royal families and priest and poo poo with some interesting stuff thrown in every few pages.

worth reading, but could have been so much more.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
does anna karenina count as sci fi? I mean its kinda fictional and they mention science somewhere

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
i got a kindle this weekend for my birthday and i immediately went to buy all the unread books i had on my shelf, only to find that not a single one was in the canadian amazon store. :filez: here i come because i love how publishers hate earning money apparently.

so i bought 'do androids dream of electric sheep?', and read it all in a day. was p kewl.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
i'm actually from the future but i can't use my future knowledge to make bets on the stock market or sports or anything because i'm ignorant as poo poo

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Trig Discipline posted:

i'm ignorant as poo poo

same, except i pronounce it 'ignant'

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

rotor posted:

same, except i pronounce it 'ignant'

why A) was idiocracy disowned by fox
and B) not available on bluray :/

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Sniep posted:

why A) was idiocracy disowned by fox
and B) not available on bluray :/

Just watch your families home movies, nbd

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

TOOT BOOT posted:

Just watch your families home movies, nbd

i dont even have a projector which can play them

pram
Jun 10, 2001
BIG rear end TACOS with extra MOLECULES

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

iamthejeff posted:

i got a kindle this weekend for my birthday and i immediately went to buy all the unread books i had on my shelf, only to find that not a single one was in the canadian amazon store. :filez: here i come because i love how publishers hate earning money apparently.

so i bought 'do androids dream of electric sheep?', and read it all in a day. was p kewl.

its nice when you just simply can't buy something oinline because of wehere you live

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

echinopsis posted:

does anna karenina count as sci fi? I mean its kinda fictional and they mention science somewhere

no because girls don't instantly hate you if you tell them you're reading anna karenina

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

echinopsis posted:

its nice when you just simply can't buy something oinline because of wehere you live

this but unironically because anyone still in NZ doesn't deserve anything nice ever

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Pram posted:

BIG rear end TACOS with extra MOLECULES

pizza???? now that's what i call a taco!

johndis
Jun 23, 2009

by Ozmaugh
yep gonna bump me own thread

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

johndis posted:

is that supposed to be philip k. dick?

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
who wears shoes indoors for real

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

quote:

i have this, completely owns

johndis
Jun 23, 2009

by Ozmaugh

mr_jim posted:

is that supposed to be philip k. dick?

yah, its a rolling stone illustration or somethin like that

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kirk posted:

who wears shoes indoors for real

anyone who grew up on unwaxed wooden floors

(it's me)

(took years to break that habit after I moved out)

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

70s sci-fi paperback art :allears:

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

axolotl farmer posted:

70s sci-fi paperback art :allears:

yeah, it's awesome.

johndis posted:

i remember this cover from my dad's copy, but i don't think i ever read it.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
its u

u are the phallic space ship

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

mr_jim posted:

yeah, it's awesome.

i remember this cover from my dad's copy, but i don't think i ever read it.

It's a great book and I've been wanting to re-read it but it's not available on Kindle. In fact, the large majority of Clarke's books are not available electronically, which when you consider who the author is and his works, is a loving crime. Same goes for Asimov and even Douglas Adams.

In a nutshell, gently caress publishers.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
getting past amazon's location restrictions on the kindle is stupidly easy i figured out yesterday. if you live in canada or somewhere that publishers decide you shouldn't be able to buy certain digital books, just add a 2nd US address to your amazon account. then in the 'manage your kindle' page, set your kindle's default address to the US address. now you can buy any book on the kindle store and also continue to use your real address for physical purchases. they don't even care that your cc is not from the US

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

iamthejeff posted:

getting past amazon's location restrictions on the kindle is stupidly easy i figured out yesterday. if you live in canada or somewhere that publishers decide you shouldn't be able to buy certain digital books, just add a 2nd US address to your amazon account. then in the 'manage your kindle' page, set your kindle's default address to the US address. now you can buy any book on the kindle store and also continue to use your real address for physical purchases. they don't even care that your cc is not from the US

pfft, I already live in the greatest country on earth, The United States of America and not some third-world scrub country.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

e-books are so dumb right now, despite there being like 50 million copies in print Dune is $14

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006

Trig Discipline posted:

i'm actually from the future but i can't use my future knowledge to make bets on the stock market or sports or anything because i'm ignorant as poo poo

grays sports almanac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

golgo13sf posted:

In a nutshell, gently caress publishers.

idk harlan ellison was outright hostile towards his readers, to the point of "burn my manuscripts after i die"

then again i see what happened to dune and it makes sense

• Locked thread