Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
If the last taxi battle isn't against Amon in an AE86 I will be disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

So there's going to be a downloadable version of Yakuza 1+2 HD Edition in Japan. It's going to be 19 gigs. What the hell?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Policenaut posted:

So there's going to be a downloadable version of Yakuza 1+2 HD Edition in Japan. It's going to be 19 gigs. What the hell?

Answer x Answer now available in thirty-five languages.

More realistically, assuming they have the original assets maybe the sound and cutscene video is uncompressed for higher quality. The music, especially in Yakuza 2 is pretty low quality in-game to keep load times from being even longer.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

Yechezkel posted:

Thanks for pointing out the heat upgrades.

More details on the Yakuza 5 PS3 bundle:

Dualshock 3 with the decal:

Beach towel:

USB drive:

I'm going to end up paying a poo poo ton on ebay for that Dualshock controller, aren't I?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
You could probably buy the decal online separately and use it on the all gold controllers they've released in the US.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

Neo Rasa posted:

You could probably buy the decal online separately and use it on the all gold controllers they've released in the US.

I don't want a fake one, I want the real deal. It's what a man would do.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yakuza 2 on PS2 is between 7 to 8 GB. If the first Yakuza was a similar size, and all of the art and movies are updated to HD, I could believe the collection being at 19 GB.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
So, Yakuza 4 now in the bag... why yes, I did marathon the series, thanks for asking (picked up all 5 games currently in English for less than a brand new game). I think the multiple protagonist gimmick was incredibly fun to play, but did lead to wackier than normal plotting to try and give all 4 guys a boss fight at the end, whether it made sense or not. Frankly, Kiryu and Saejima may as well not have been there for all their fights mattered in the grand scheme of the plot.

Oh, and granted, I did complete a LOT of the challenges, but Amon was a cakewalk this time round... I'm not sure how I feel about that...

Now on to Dead Souls, and more of Akiyama being smooth as ice. :cool:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Gaz-L posted:

Now on to Dead Souls, and more of Akiyama being smooth as ice. :cool:

I'm a huge Yakuza freak and I too felt compelled to play Dead Souls, but definitely do so on an easier setting.

Don't do the mini games, or any of the optional stuff besides weapon crafting, side stories and maybe Amon. Also, the optional quests you have to do to reach Amon are randomly generated grinds and some equipment only drops there. You get a pretty silly weapon for beating Amon though.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Haruka gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM1OrBNbnlY
Meet and greets, public dance performances, sprinting in high-heels?, dance battles, stage performances.

Stop running Haruka, there's a locker key above you!

Maybe it's just me being burned out on beat-matching games, but most of what was shown wasn't that interesting. Dances are almost like karaoke gameplay, except the button prompts move on the screen differently.

The next upcoming video will show gameplay with Shinada.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Shake people's hands too long or too short and they leave all weirded out. A real approximation of the first steps towards being an idol? Or maybe a politician too?

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I really hope they don't use Yakuza 4 and Dark Soul's system of having all of the characters separated into their own chunks. I rather have a back and forth between chapters. This is especially true with Haruka's segment as I don't want to be forced to go through a few hours of her chapter without any fighting. Haruka's segment looks interesting but I don't want to be playing her segment for more than an hour or two at a time.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Soooo playing as Haruka is basically going to be the closest I'll ever get to playing idolmaster in English, huh? I am down with that. Haruka has always had a perfect voice actor for such a thing, so the songs should be pretty good if nothing else.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Zettace posted:

I really hope they don't use Yakuza 4 and Dark Soul's system of having all of the characters separated into their own chunks. I rather have a back and forth between chapters. This is especially true with Haruka's segment as I don't want to be forced to go through a few hours of her chapter without any fighting. Haruka's segment looks interesting but I don't want to be playing her segment for more than an hour or two at a time.

If it's like 4, then you could power through her segment in like 2 hours if you don't do any substories or minigames. Hell, in 4, you could blink and miss Saejima's section.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yakuza 1 & 2 HD is out now in Japan, and Game Watch has a preview showing just how far improved the HD versions are over the originals. Just check the pictures out.

And if you're interested, here are the trophy lists for Yakuza 1 and Yakuza 2. If what I'm hearing is true, Haruka's affection level is tied to a trophy :stare:

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
The HD versions look the same as if run on an emulator. A lot of PS2 games look great if you render at a higher resolution than native.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Newest video from the official shows off Shinada's batting skills:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpTiMaxciPo
There are batting challenges given by certain people pitching to you.
Unlike in the regular batting cages, you have to aim to where the ball will be in the strike zone with the face buttons.
Skills of batting that can be leveled up from completing challenges and buying batting accessories.
Some pitchers may try to bean you. They can be dodged.

The next upcoming video will show off Heat Actions.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Policenaut posted:

Yakuza 1 & 2 HD is out now in Japan, and Game Watch has a preview showing just how far improved the HD versions are over the originals. Just check the pictures out.

And if you're interested, here are the trophy lists for Yakuza 1 and Yakuza 2. If what I'm hearing is true, Haruka's affection level is tied to a trophy :stare:

No news of an English release, yet? :(

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Gaz-L posted:

No news of an English release, yet? :(

If it's anything like literally every other game in the series, get ready for a lot of waiting. I'm pretty sure it was at least a year between the release of 3 and the announcement of the localization.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
But 4 sold well enough for Dead Souls to be localized pretty quickly (by Yakuza standards), so who knows? Maybe we can have an excuse to be hopeful.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

SpacePig posted:

But 4 sold well enough for Dead Souls to be localized pretty quickly (by Yakuza standards), so who knows? Maybe we can have an excuse to be hopeful.

Oh, I'm always hopeful, I just also have learned to temper my disappointment. Kiryu waited like 10 years to get outta jail, I can wait one year to hear about playing his newest adventure.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Give me this loving game now.

Policenaut posted:

Hey, no. gently caress that. gently caress you. gently caress your mother. gently caress Haruka's Trust. The day I get all ten home runs on the hardest batting course in Yakuza 1 is the day I poo poo rainbows. Never gonna loving happen.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I really hope we get a disc collection for 1-2 if we do get it. Oakmi HD sucked a lot of my remaining space and no way I can make 19 gigs free (Or 25-38 counting free space so it can install)

edit: Also Yakuza 5 looks insane and I want it. Now.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 1, 2012

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Ineffiable posted:

I really hope we get a disc collection for 1-2 if we do get it. Oakmi HD sucked a lot of my remaining space and no way I can make 19 gigs free (Or 25-38 counting free space so it can install)

edit: Also Yakuza 5 looks insane and I want it. Now.

I was having the same problem, then I saw that 750 gig laptop hard drives were around $45.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Do you know what time it is!? It's Yakuza 5 trailer time!

Story stuff!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6iM9MsG3RI

OH MY GOD THERE'S SO MUCH GAME STUFF!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1zw8AJx6zY

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Some of that looks like Dynasty Warriors Yakuza there with the huge battles.

The official site confirmed Date, Mariko, and Kage the Florist will be in Yakuza 5.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
At this moment there is nothing I want more than this game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

mikeycp posted:

At this moment there is nothing I want more than this game.
This and Super Robot Wars OG 2nd, for me. It's going to be a pretty awesome December for Japanese games. Which is good because it's been a pretty lovely rest of the year for them.

edit: drat it, they STILL can't animate faces inside whatever 3d engine they use for fighting and stuff! Jeez guys, it's the 21st century now.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Nov 16, 2012

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Technically it always was, Yakuza was 2005. Maybe they were focusing more on the bleeding and bruising facial animations as opposed to how the dude feels about you ruining his modeling career.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
A video was posted on the official site a few days ago discussing heat action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wapgLYJMoqE

Red heat action is no longer automatically given when the heat bar is filled up. It can now be manually activated. It doesn't look like the heat bar has to be full to do a red heat action move.

The Komaki Dragon Kick, and equivalent attacks from the other characters, now require 3 successful quick-time button presses before it can land.

For Kiryu, red heat gives him unique combos of powerful strikes.
For Akiyama, red heat gives him the ability to juggle enemies in the air with all of his kicks.
For Shinada, red heat gives him a running tackle that can run over other enemies while carrying one of them.
For Saijima, red heat gives him the ability to lift super-heavy objects for attacking enemies, such of street lockers, street posts, ducts off of building walls, and enemies themselves.

Next video will be about hostess clubs.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Japanese demo on the 27th (so 28th America time), it will cover the beginning of Kiryu's chapter. I am ready.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
:eng101: 26th America time, we're behind Japan.

I hope for some taxi drifting action.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I don't know that my body is ready for this demo, let alone the full game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Yechezkel posted:

:eng101: 26th America time, we're behind Japan.

I hope for some taxi drifting action.
God drat IT I've lived in so many different time zones in my life and I still screw this up!

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
I started in on Dead Souls and I'm actually having a blast with it. Once I learned how to make the camera behave the fun took over. Getting the head shot lock on helped a lot, too. Hopefully everybody has that ability, not just Akiyama. Can't wait to play as Majima!

I still need to go back and finish the last half of a normal run and a full EX Hard run for the plat in 4, but for now I'm digging zombified Kamurocho. I'm shooting for the platinum in Dead Souls, too, but 5 is far enough away for the US that I don't have to rush.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's cool that the new engine can handle more than 7 or so enemies at a time. Those dock and stadium fights look amazing.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Not to mention that fights seem to happen in the overworld environment, instead of switching over to it's own. If it still does it at least seems to give the illusion that it doesn't.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Hatsune Miku is in Yakuza 5.

I'm genuinely surprised it took this long for Sega to shove her into Yakuza.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

Hatsune Miku is in Yakuza 5.

I'm genuinely surprised it took this long for Sega to shove her into Yakuza.
When I first saw that I thought Miku was a random opponent that Haruka could run into, like the rich looking guy (is that what he's called in English?) in previous games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

When I first saw that I thought Miku was a random opponent that Haruka could run into, like the rich looking guy (is that what he's called in English?) in previous games.

Yes. Is he supposed to be a recognizable character?

• Locked thread