Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Marumaru

Marumaru walks up to Yaiba, having wiping the last of the blood of her sword before sheathing it. The soft paper drops from her hand and is tumbled across the the bloodied, trampled snow by the wind. "You might still, if any of us do. We weren't the ones who killed those men, the ones who's deaths started all this. Somehow, I doubt whoever did it was trying to help the village. We may have need of your swords."

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

Don't have a fire cow, man
Inuniku

The Nezumi yanked his blade out of someone's spine, tumbling into the snow at it came loose. Hauling himself back to his feet, he took in the scene as his heart slowed down. The enemies were dead or dying. His companions seemed fine, as well as Yaiba. Good-good.

Tugging on Tomoe's sleeve, he peered up at her. "Inuniku think-thinks we have won. Fair-Hair-Wind-Blade and Wise-Beard-Hundred-Wrinkles both okay." He watched as Marumaru approached Yaiba, puzzled for a moment as she wiped off her sword. The point behind it finally sank in and he quickly followed her example before resheathing his own weapon and loping over. He listened as the two women exchanged brief words. He furrowed his brow, trying to collect his own thoughts. Finally he looked back up.

"Inuniku does not hate Big-Chief-Yaiba, but Red-Fists hurt many people. This what samurai call 'justice', yes-yes? Inuniku thinks she should consider what he said before. Fix thing, or build new thing." He glanced towards her surviving followers. "Or stay here, be sad."

He turned away. Catching sight of Qiu, he hopped over and glanced up at the man. "Is Wise-Beard-Hundred-Wrinkles okay? Jiao-chan will not be happy if you-you hurt!"

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Yaiba frowns. "I had assumed that it was Murasaki who had done it, to stir up an excuse to usurp my position, but he seemed genuinely angry that his supporters had been slain. If it was not me and mine, nor you and yours, nor he and his..."

She trails off.

Well, this could be trouble indeed.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Just sayin'.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

Inuniku

After speaking with Qiu, the ratling paused and glanced around. Something was tickling at the back of his head...

Right-right! The women the Red Fists had forced to work in the camp! He scurried off to look around the area. Probably they had hidden somewhere when the fighting broke out. Now that all was said and done, there weren't enough Red Fists to say no about them going home. And if any of them tried, Inuniku was in no mood to negotiate.

Hunting: [20:32] <+Morphball> Shardix: 28 = 5k3([10,5],8,1,4,5)

Shardix fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 14, 2014

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Marumaru

Marumaru looks around at the carnage, then turns to the others. "We need to get back to town. If this was a trick to get the Red Fists to fight each other - then whoever's behind it is probably trying to get all of us out of the way."

She starts back up the trail. "Come on!"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Qiu

"Ah, I am fine." Qiu is, in fact, entirely unhurt, and just slightly tired. He picks up his staff and looks over at Yaiba. "We will need to think on this later - she is right. If this is a distraction..."

He heads after Marumaru. "Inuniku, bring them, and make sure any who can still fight are ready. We may need it."

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Your return to the village is not eventful, but back in town, things are extremely quiet and still, though it's still daytime and despite the chill, there should be some activity...

Not a good sign...

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Tomoe

Tomoe closes her eyes- despite this being pointless, it feels right- and listens for some sign, some indication that someone is moving. Acting. Breathing.

KPrime !r 1d10#2
Krysmbot KPrime, 7 = 7, 10 = 10
KPrime !r 1d10
Krysmbot KPrime, 1 = 1

18 Awareness

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

Inuniku

"Inuniku sorry-sorry he not able to help sooner. He could not fight entire band of Red-Fists alone. He also think that if he stole you all away at night they just come back and..." He glanced away from the village women he had rescued, something making the fur on his neck stand up.

"...This not right."

Tomoe seemed to share his thoughts as well, pausing and seeming to extend her senses outward.

"Inuniku will go ahead."

He dropped to all fours and scurried off to cover, scouting the way forward.

Stealth: [20:25] <+Morphball> Shardix: 33 = 10k6e(3,4,6,2,8,3,2,5,6,4)

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Marumaru

Marumaru says nothing, but strides to the center of the village, sheathed sword held defiantly in hand. "Show yourselves!" she shouts.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Qiu

Qiu looks around, and for the first time, he has real fear in his eyes.

"...Jiao?"

This place is probably dangerous. The old man doesn't care. His daughter may need him. He heads for the inn.

"Jiao! Where are you?"

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
The silence is broken by cackling - a strange, frightening, demented cackling. A small man, hunched over double, with a disturbingly hunched back and very rotten teeth, shuffles into view.

"It looks like they're done killing each other. Now it is time for fun, yes!"

Another voice, rasping, strained, answers the little man, apparently from inside the teahouse. "Tell them to take their lives and go. Tell them to go while they can. Tell them to go or die, after watching everyone here die first."

The speaker does not emerge.

Jiao's frightened crying emits from within. A woman's voice, cold, snaps at her. "Shut up, brat! Keep that brat quiet or I'll tear her tongue out."

A sense of very very severe wrongness descends.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

Inuniku

As the ratling inched forward, a sense of familiarity came over him. He had been traveling Rokugan proper for over two years, and in all that time he'd never felt like this before. It felt like home...and home meant danger. It meant Shadowlands, and the slaves that served it.

No. Not-not here. They think to-to ruin this place? They die. They die badly.

Quietly setting down his pack, he silently pulled his parangu from the sheath across his stomach as he heard the hunched creature speak. Hearing the reply followed by Jiao's voice from the teahouse, he bared his teeth and maneuvered towards the back entrance. If the thing dared lay a finger on the girl, it would find Jigoku a welcome relief from what he would do to it.

Stealth: [21:19] <+Morphball> Shardix: 34 = 10k6e(4,3,[1,7],7,4,3,3,6,6,[1,4])

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Marumaru

"If the choice is to abandon duty or to die, then there is no choice at all." Marumaru pulls the sheath from her sword and casts it aside once more, advancing towards the teahouse. "You will release the child."

Not a threat, not a request. A statement of fact.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Qiu

Qiu casts aside his staff once more. For the first time, he looks angry and worried more than calm. His daughter is being threatened, and even a monk cannot easily remain serene in a time like that.

Inuniku heads toward the back, but Qiu spares no time for thought of sneaking. Like Marumaru, he heads for teahouse directly.

"Jiao, I want you to close your eyes and take deep breaths. Remain calm and be quiet for now." He advances on the door, his hands curling into fists. As he moves, his ki roils, reaching out to feel the world around him. Walls are no impediment - he must see what he is dealing with inside.

Eight Directions Awareness goes up as a complex action: [16:00] <+Morphball> MorsRattus: 25 = 5k3(4,8,9,4,8)

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
The little hunchback chuckles. "Bold words, bold and foolish. No matter. My children hunger." An insect, many-legged and disturbing, crawls from beneath his shirt and around his neck. "Your work in the mountains will feed them for many weeks, but if you're as strong as you seem, then your bodies will be even better...yes..."

From within, stomping feet precede a man, or what was once a man - these people are clearly very heavily Tainted. He has chitinous growths, and a disturbingly organic looking tetsubo. "A challenge, is it? I remember challenges. I remember the lie that was bushido. Fine."

Behind, a terrifyingly pale and beautiful woman with long sharp nails holds on to Jiao. She must be the one who spoke earlier.

I think initiative or something.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

Inuniku

Initiative: [22:27] <+Morphball> Shardix: 13 = 4k3(1,9,1,3)

Attack Stance

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Qiu

[23:35] <+Morphball> morsrattus: 30 = 5k3([10,5],7,2,4,8)

Dice support Qiu's wrath.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Marumaru

Init 20, will increase by 3 each round until Marumaru is acting first.
[19:26] <+Morphball> Snorebash: 20 = 4k3(7,5,8,4)

Attack stance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Tomoe

A girl crying.

They will die.

KPrime !r 4k3
Krysmbot KPrime, (15 3 1, 1) = 19

• Locked thread