Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

eightysixed posted:

Are we sure that the flight path does not take the wind into consideration, because I'm really starting to second guess that.

The game explicitly tells you the flight path does not consider wind in one of the Toad lessons. You may be overestimating how much the wind is affecting your shot. A club with a low arc hitting at the top of the ball won't carry the same way as an iron or wedge hitting the bottom of the ball over the same distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

It turns out that 18 holes of Speed Golf on a course you've never seen before with a character you've used only once before and no flight path is really hard. Who would've thought?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

It turns out that 18 holes of Speed Golf on a course you've never seen before with a character you've used only once before and no flight path is really hard. Who would've thought?

I tried something very similar my first time playing Bowser's course and whaddya know I finished like +15

gameface
Nov 23, 2007
What's the easiest way to get coins outside of the DLC courses? I'm getting fed up with failing the Moon Coin 1O1P challenge (Back 9 only) and want about 50 retries before tackling it again, lest I throw my 3DS through a wall.

I think I'll calm down a bit with some Match Play. I'll be sitting in Battle Royale awaiting challengers for about an hour.
EDIT: No opponents? How odd. Unless I missed someone, perhaps I just picked a bad time. I'll try again later, then.

gameface fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 22, 2014

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

What the gently caress is Nabbit anyway and why are you guys all :3: about him? I've never played Super Mario Galaxy if that's what he's from.

eightysixed posted:

Seriously? So you can take the shot with B but you can't activate the power meter with B? That's ridiculous. Switching between 2 buttons for one action is dumb :mad:

It is dumb, but you use B to cancel the swing meter if you haven't pushed A yet. Which will, of course, lead to you eventually hitting B after you hit A because you wanted to cancel a swing.

It would've made more sense if they do it like other golf games and just not do the swing if you let the meter go all the way back to the right without the second button push.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

raditts posted:

What the gently caress is Nabbit anyway and why are you guys all :3: about him? I've never played Super Mario Galaxy if that's what he's from.

It is dumb, but you use B to cancel the swing meter if you haven't pushed A yet. Which will, of course, lead to you eventually hitting B after you hit A because you wanted to cancel a swing.

It would've made more sense if they do it like other golf games and just not do the swing if you let the meter go all the way back to the right without the second button push.

Nabbit's a cute purple rabbit thief guy from NSMB U. In that game he robbed toad houses and you'd chase him speedrun style through levels for powerups.

He's not completely strange like space god mom and he fits right in with the mushroom kingdom so he's just generally well received

Alternatively:

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro
Some of the star coins for layer cake desert are harder than moon coins for other courses. I can't wrap my brain around the second challenge yet.

e: yep I'm an idiot, pick Nabbit

TenaciousJ fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 22, 2014

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

69-9950-8218-8881 Yo this isn't my Mario Golf tournament or anything but you should enter it just so you can see my ridiculous score. Well, bye

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Man, Sparkling Water is hosed up.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

63-9950-1288-5275 I made a seaside tourney! I'm bad at the game so give it a whirl!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

codenameFANGIO posted:

Man, Sparkling Water is hosed up.

I just learned this the hard way. Why is this course so rough.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I got this game to relax with. A lazy Sunday afternoon game. Instead I'm about to take a bite out of my 3DS. I'm not even at the hard parts yet. I'm just trying to place 1st on the 3rd course in the game. Why am I so garbage at this, and for that matter, why am I not getting better? You'd think all the hours I have sunk into this game, practicing every night, I'd have gotten a feel for whatever black magic is used to determine putting, but I still suck. I'm just garbage at it. Use more force going up hill, less going downhill, lean left or right for the horizontal arrows, even more for the red arrows, I know, I know, but how much? That's what gets me. That's what I misjudge. Again and again and again.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
So I'm finally caving and going to get Mario Golf after work today or at latest tomorrow morning. I've played the poo poo out of Mario Golf on the 64 and GC, and after seeing a few of my friends have a blast with this I cannot wait to dive in myself.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Flubby posted:

I got this game to relax with. A lazy Sunday afternoon game. Instead I'm about to take a bite out of my 3DS. I'm not even at the hard parts yet. I'm just trying to place 1st on the 3rd course in the game. Why am I so garbage at this, and for that matter, why am I not getting better? You'd think all the hours I have sunk into this game, practicing every night, I'd have gotten a feel for whatever black magic is used to determine putting, but I still suck. I'm just garbage at it. Use more force going up hill, less going downhill, lean left or right for the horizontal arrows, even more for the red arrows, I know, I know, but how much? That's what gets me. That's what I misjudge. Again and again and again.

The thing about putting is the arrows can be misleading. I find the best way to manage it is just to eyeball the slope. Just imagine you were actually trying to sink it in real life, the ball will pretty much follow real physics.

Oh and you don't really need to undershoot unless it's a really sharp downward slope.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

It's almost always better to overshoot, actually.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Putting would look a lot better if they removed the white tail that your ball gives off.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

PantsBandit posted:

The thing about putting is the arrows can be misleading. I find the best way to manage it is just to eyeball the slope. Just imagine you were actually trying to sink it in real life, the ball will pretty much follow real physics.

Oh and you don't really need to undershoot unless it's a really sharp downward slope.

Red or blue only determines whether the hole is uphill or downhill, not how extreme the slope is. I'm pretty sure the slope isn't colour-coordinated at all, so you're going to have to eyeball it.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

So I didn't think I did that well in the Americas Double Peoria, but I ended up placing 57th and getting like 20,000 coins. Fat stacks o' cash :3:

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Teddybear posted:

So I didn't think I did that well in the Americas Double Peoria, but I ended up placing 57th and getting like 20,000 coins. Fat stacks o' cash :3:

What are you supposed to do with all these coins? You're given far too much when compared to the prices of items in the shop. Are there some mega expensive items I've yet to unlock.

Also I wish you didn't have to watch the ceremony for every competition to get the coins or trophy.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

For putting also note that the lines noting slope are closer together if it's steeper. A slant that looks like ______ ______ ______ will barely move the ball at all, while one that's ................. usually means you landed in the "gently caress you" part of the green and should just focus on getting close to the hole for a second putt.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

DarthBlingBling posted:

What are you supposed to do with all these coins? You're given far too much when compared to the prices of items in the shop. Are there some mega expensive items I've yet to unlock.

Also I wish you didn't have to watch the ceremony for every competition to get the coins or trophy.

Mulligans are 10,000 coins and you can skip the Ceremony by tapping start to go right to the payout.

Also what's up with Bowsers Birdie animation. His animations and Birdo's weird me out.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

DarthBlingBling posted:

Nothing expensive I've found. Either have Kamek shuffle your handness/shot type around like a monkey (is there a difference between a right-handed fade and a left-handed draw?), buy a bunch of mulligans you'll be nagged to use every single shot, or pretend your mii rolls around in them like Scrooge McDuck or Wario.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Bruceski posted:

Nothing expensive I've found. Either have Kamek shuffle your handness/shot type around like a monkey (is there a difference between a right-handed fade and a left-handed draw?), buy a bunch of mulligans you'll be nagged to use every single shot, or pretend your mii rolls around in them like Scrooge McDuck or Wario.

I'm going with "big ol' pile of coins I dive into" personally.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Mulligans are 10,000 coins and you can skip the Ceremony by tapping start to go right to the payout.

Also what's up with Bowsers Birdie animation. His animations and Birdo's weird me out.

You sound like you may have a thing about big mouths...

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

PantsBandit posted:

You sound like you may have a thing about big mouths...

I have a thing about birdo's face contorting in terrifying ways when I do good.

Also is it fair to ask what everyone's favorite costume is? I'm surprised how many of these are hilarious, I currently have the koopa clown car jammed into my Mii's head.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I have a thing about birdo's face contorting in terrifying ways when I do good.

Also is it fair to ask what everyone's favorite costume is? I'm surprised how many of these are hilarious, I currently have the koopa clown car jammed into my Mii's head.

Whomping people in my Birdo outfit never gets old. :allears:

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I rock Toad's Agrabah pants costume.

gameface
Nov 23, 2007
I've got the NES Open outfit in one of my preset slots. I'm a fan of that stripey hat. I've got the matching ball paired up with it, too.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

gameface posted:

I've got the NES Open outfit in one of my preset slots. I'm a fan of that stripey hat. I've got the matching ball paired up with it, too.

Speaking of-- are there theme bonuses for clothing/clubs/balls?

gameface
Nov 23, 2007

Teddybear posted:

Speaking of-- are there theme bonuses for clothing/clubs/balls?

Not that I have seen, unfortunately. I've certainly tried to find them, though. I know that theme bonuses were in Mario Tennis Open. They even had a visual marker for them, giving your Mii the star character platform on the gear screen.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
I've got some fuzzy black thing with googly eyes costume that I think is from the NSMB games. It lowered my stats but I still wear it because I love it.

Only one that I've seen so far that's animated

gameface
Nov 23, 2007

DarthBlingBling posted:

I've got some fuzzy black thing with googly eyes costume that I think is from the NSMB games. It lowered my stats but I still wear it because I love it.

As well as that one, I've seen the Paratroopa outfit that flaps its wings, the Wiggler outfit kind of shakes around its excess tail sections (kind of a stretch), and if particle effects count, the Gold Mario outfit you get for 10 online tournament trophies sparkles a bit.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.

gameface posted:

How do you get this?

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

zfleeman posted:

How do you get this?

I think that's the three albatross one.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

DarthBlingBling posted:

Those are Fuzzies/Fuzzles and they first showed up in Super Mario World. Not to be confused with the white Fuzzies from Yoshi's Island, who make you dizzy. Do NOT touch a white fuzzy before playing a round of golf.

Personally when I go for a costume instead of an outfit (the Blooper clothes are neat and have a cap instead of a visor) I like to stick my mii's head up a goomba's butt.

gameface
Nov 23, 2007

lovely Wizard posted:

I think that's the three albatross one.

Yeah, that's the one. It's not that difficult to get if you go to the right hole. DK Jungle, hole 7 has 2 of the barrel cannons chain to bring you right to the green, and with the right pin location and/or good putting, you can get an Albatross fairly easily. You need a bit of power to reach the cannon, however.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I'm still trying to get my first hole in one. I keep misjudging the wind and roll, or overdoing it and hitting the flag.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

gameface posted:

Yeah, that's the one. It's not that difficult to get if you go to the right hole. DK Jungle, hole 7 has 2 of the barrel cannons chain to bring you right to the green, and with the right pin location and/or good putting, you can get an Albatross fairly easily. You need a bit of power to reach the cannon, however.

Can you choose what hole to practice on or something?

That's been kind of a thorn in my side that some holes I just can't do well with (Wiggler Garden has a short one with giant spiny around it, for some reason I almost always bogey it)

gameface
Nov 23, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Can you choose what hole to practice on or something?

That's been kind of a thorn in my side that some holes I just can't do well with (Wiggler Garden has a short one with giant spiny around it, for some reason I almost always bogey it)

Well, the way I got my 3 was by using the Moon Coin challenge list. One of the Ring Shot holes is that one, and I just ignored the rings. Makes for a funny clash of messages too. "Wow, nice Albatross! Failed..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Teddybear posted:

I'm still trying to get my first hole in one. I keep misjudging the wind and roll, or overdoing it and hitting the flag.

There's a lot of luck involved with holes in one, but if you keep trying you should eventually get one.

Keep playing the one on one in challenge would be my advise.

• Locked thread