Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anakha
Sep 16, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Man, Lithuania looked pretty scummy that game, but maybe that's just nationalism talking.

And these international basketball media recommendations have been great, keep em coming if you have more.

A three-part series on Filipino basketball by the author of Pacific Rims:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQJNu6LfIsU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iom_HCfcdQc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmCN19cLd7k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Spacebump posted:

Everyone includes the US and they still dominated the tournament. (so far) America has at least one starter that might not make the team if everyone is playing. That starter would still make every other team in the world if he was their nationality.

This is true, but I think the other teams are a legit threat to the USA's best when healthy, but if anything but healthy we could probably send less quality than there is now and still win.

Of course this attitude of mine is jinxing the US and means France will win easily.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Rick posted:

This is true, but I think the other teams are a legit threat to the USA's best when healthy, but if anything but healthy we could probably send less quality than there is now and still win.

Of course this attitude of mine is jinxing the US and means France will win easily.

France is going to have to score a shitload more than they have this tournament to have a chance. The US has a bunch of guys capable of doing what Harden did today and dropping 16-20 points in a quarter. I'm hoping for Boogie to drop 30 or something like that.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

If you missed the game, the replay is starting on NBATV now and some Lithuanians are about to get poo poo on.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The US is gonna win by like 35 and Boris Diaw's fat rear end will have a heart attack trying to keep up with Faried and Davis.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I just want to see a European person get dunked on so profoundly that he has to quit basketball and wander the earth.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Fredric Weis got dunked on so hard he now refused to leave his home contient for fear that it might happen again, which is the platonic ideal of a posterization.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Spain probably has the best league outside of the US, no? I see them and Slavic leagues generating a bunch of players

edit: okay in order Canada (which doesn't count), France tied with Serbia, and Australia have produced more NBA players than Spain although that will also have something to do with recruiting practices

Kelfeftaf posted:

So who on the U.S. squad is going to win World Cup MVP?

why would they give the MVP to someone on the losing team

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 12, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

EvanTH posted:

Spain probably has the best league outside of the US, no? I see them and Slavic leagues generating a bunch of players

Of the domestic leagues it'd probably be the Spanish ACB first and then the 1st tier Russian and Greek leagues in some order.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Igor Strelkov posted:

Lithuania, probably followed by Serbia/Croatia. In Lithuania, basketball is more popular than futbol, which no other country but USA can say. It's a good question. Lithuania only has 3 million people but has 5 medals in international competition since independence in 91.

Yeah, as badly as they got stomped yesterday, it's amazing how good Lithuania is considering their population. If a similar country of 50 or 100 million cared about the sport with that intensity, they'd probably create a second basketball superpower.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Paging all basketball junkes to the thread.

edit: glad Roddy Beaubois made the list of notable missing French players.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 12, 2014

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004
Thanks for letting us know that Batum is Just Another Guy on Team France you unbelievable dipshit Fran Fraschilla

CerealCrunch
Jun 23, 2007
I love FIBA goaltending rules. I also like that a technical counts as a personal foul.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

spacejung posted:

Thanks for letting us know that Batum is Just Another Guy on Team France you unbelievable dipshit Fran Fraschilla

He's not wrong. Batum hasn't taken over any games, he's just played defense and been a cog in the offense. Franny's only making a point that the non nba players are good too.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Also now he has a concussion?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
somewhere Pekovic watches and adds another skull to the silent pile

edit: he's Serbian isn't he why isn't he on the team is he injured

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004

Igor Strelkov posted:

He's not wrong. Batum hasn't taken over any games, he's just played defense and been a cog in the offense. Franny's only making a point that the non nba players are good too.

I understand the point but I've heard this sentiment rehashed so many times. Batum's defense matters. Serbia runs 10 deep with very talented non-NBA names, if Batum leaves and doesn't come back with this injury I would say les bleu chances are over.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

EvanTH posted:

somewhere Pekovic watches and adds another skull to the silent pile

edit: he's Serbian isn't he why isn't he on the team is he injured

Serbia and Montenegro are no longer a federation and thusly have separate national teams. Pekovic is Montenegrin. Cruel work of your cronies in NATO and the EU.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Isn't Raduljica essentially a poor man's Pekovic anyway? Minus the dubiously racist tattoos

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I really like the baseline camera, it's so much easier to see the play develop

peer posted:

Isn't Raduljica essentially a poor man's Pekovic anyway? Minus the dubiously racist tattoos

Well they're both big scary men, but Raduljica is more of a defensive player and Pek is an offensive player

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Igor Strelkov posted:

Serbia and Montenegro are no longer a federation and thusly have separate national teams. Pekovic is Montenegrin. Cruel work of your cronies in NATO and the EU.

I'm not sorry for the favors I called in

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"
Looks like France are surrendering the rights to get dunked on by Faried to Serbia.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
Hahahaha, that tipped pass for two

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

OrangeKing posted:

Hahahaha, that tipped pass for two

What a great shot by Raduljica !

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

That tip was amazing.

And France might pull this off?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
vive y'all

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

About time Batum showed up for a game.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
my power went out cause i was ringin' the babe alarm too hard what happened to the game

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

EvanTH posted:

my power went out cause i was ringin' the babe alarm too hard what happened to the game

3min left, 8pt lead for Serbia.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

EvanTH posted:

8 point lead, Serbia. 3 minutes left.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

And Markovic fouls out.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
France is on fire in the fourth, wow.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

Some nice play going on right now from both teams.

Damnit tactical fouling

pylb fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 12, 2014

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
I hate that foul with so much time left.

Edit: Wow, missed the second one though.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

France should have tried playing defense a little earlier than the 4th quarter.

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm
This has been an amazing 2 minutes of play.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

Whoever wins will lose their next game. Whoever loses will have a shot at winning the next one.

So sad we wasted Batum's hot shooting night.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
AMAZING fight by France.

The US is gonna annihilate Serbia though, huh? :getin:

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004
Love that stone cold look on Batum's face. I wish they had had someone to counter Krstic more effectively in these last 2 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Fran Fraschilla should insult players more often if Batum is any indication

• Locked thread