Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Open sores? In my OSX? It's more likely than u would think

I hope smythe pulls a loving darwin and purges you from the pospool.

Open sores isn't the same as open sourcing your project after you have created it. Open sores is allowing a wide community to design a product when most of said community are babby idiots who wouldn't know good design if it was tied to a breeze block and flung at their ugly faces. Apple employs a set of professionals and builds its stuff behind closed doors with proprietary use in mind so that normal people can have some software that lets them do what they want to easily.

yes I bet if you fellate Smythe's jackboot enough he will smite me down out of pity for your poor showing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Ocrassus posted:

Open sores isn't the same as open sourcing your project after you have created it. Open sores is allowing a wide community to design a product when most of said community are babby idiots who wouldn't know good design if it was tied to a breeze block and flung at their ugly faces. Apple employs a set of professionals and builds its stuff behind closed doors with proprietary use in mind so that normal people can have some software that lets them do what they want to easily.

yes I bet if you fellate Smythe's jackboot enough he will smite me down out of pity for your poor showing.

you mean like this one https://opensource.apple.com/source/emacs/emacs-93/

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
I want u to pick up your keyboard and hit yourself on the head with it until this sinks in. I would worry about concussions but I don't think you'll have anything to worry about..

Taking open source elements or consulting a group of developers in a restricted program for advice, does not an open source OS make.

do you have access to the assets and source of the next OSX whilst Apple is busy designing it? No you don't failord. Do you realistically have any input on these things whilst they are being developed in house? no, you don't.

do you want a napkin? it gets messy when I serve people..

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
all you're servin' is some weak tea, son

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
and all you're serving is some weak fail pos os.

a neurotic ai fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 6, 2015

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

infernal machines posted:

all you're servin' is some weak tea, son

babbys first GNU GPL vs. BSD / MIT mumblings

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
so stop calling OS X open sores, its nothing like that craptacular GNU poo poo. you'd be pissing off a whole bunch of Linux nerds anyway who care about their ~*freee software*~

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
ignoring for a moment how loving retarded this whole dumb sperg license argument is, you're also wrong. just because it's not gnu doesn't mean it's not open source

is apache open source? (yes) so shut up

black man 3
Oct 29, 2014

by XyloJW

Ocrassus posted:

so stop calling OS X open sores, its nothing like that craptacular GNU poo poo. you'd be pissing off a whole bunch of Linux nerds anyway who care about their ~*freee software*~

Lol. Everyone get a good look at this.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yeah orcrassds u hosed up hard buddy. hate to see it. hit the showers kid

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

pram posted:

orcrassds

orcasuds!

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
alright I had to check Wikipedia to make sure I was making the right fire here.

trust you nerds to focus on the kernel when what I was referring to is the GUI, yknow the bit actuslly used by human beings and what I've clearly been talking about.

you and I both know you can't call OSX as a whole an open source OS.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Ocrassus posted:

trust you nerds to focus on the kernel when what I was referring to is the GUI, yknow the bit actuslly used by human beings and what I've clearly been talking about.

this is a flamewar you fuckwit, you don't back down, you just deftly redirect no matter how wrong you are (extremely)

now you've lost face and got burned crispy, dumbass

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Ocrassus posted:

lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ocrassus posted:

Holy poo poo dude you are real fuckin bad at flaming

Like worse than Linux is as an OS

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

still lollin

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
it's not my fault that cjs cj about darwins and bsds and poo poo. it's just clear that Linux has all of the usability of your posts, IE dogshit because it was created by a big splooge of uncoordinated fat beards.

I standby what I said before, some irrelevant poo poo nobody cares about is open sores and the bit that is important is closed source. ergo aka IE OSX is not open source.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

stfu!!!!!

pram
Jun 10, 2001

theadder posted:

stfu!!!!!

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
no I'm having a meltdown over here

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Ocrassus posted:

no I'm having a meltdown over here

ur meant to be on our side wtf is happening here

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

OldAlias posted:

windows has used BSD-derived code in its implementation of TCP/IP. lots of netbsd code made it into iOS and android as well. poo poo like routers, printers, cashier terminals, even sony and nintendo use netbsd code. this is exactly what the bsd license tries to encourage: just use the best available code, verbatim if you like, in your commercial products. windows is just a fat idiot who stumbled into the market at the right time.

routers and printers routinely run linux now

pos as an industry is being eaten alive by ipads. weirdly the only place linux isn't dominating

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW
Apple has never made a good product in their lives.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Ocrassus posted:

it doesn't matter whether osx is open source

what's important is that it's dogshit unix

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 351 days!

Ocrassus posted:

lmfao mods ban this cliffnotes intellectual

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

pos as an industry is being eaten alive by ipads. weirdly the only place linux isn't dominating

i think, android tablets will rise up one day. i hope so atleast, android is amazing.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

fair that poo poo is commodity as hell now. fitting for linux. quality routers, printers and pos systems will still be in use. lol when did juniper switch to linux???? never heard of cisco can't be an industry standard or anything. what is pfsense. if a corporation wants to conceal their poo poo, and make truly great products, they will rightly use bsd derived code as opposed to that cancerous gpl nonsense. apple, sony and friends have leveraged this well. pos as an industry is a pos but osx is bsd so hell, i support it

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 7, 2015

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i read an article that said iOS is an linux

confirm/deny

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

a·maz·ing
causing great surprise or wonder

black man 3
Oct 29, 2014

by XyloJW

Ocrassus posted:

it's not my fault that cjs cj about darwins and bsds and poo poo. it's just clear that Linux has all of the usability of your posts, IE dogshit because it was created by a big splooge of uncoordinated fat beards.

I standby what I said before, some irrelevant poo poo nobody cares about is open sores and the bit that is important is closed source. ergo aka IE OSX is not open source.

U have potential, but u gotta stop w/the lameless. Come on son, u can do it

black man 3
Oct 29, 2014

by XyloJW
Call the other guy a pedophile supporter if u can, anything

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Linux easily claims ownership of the worst parts of computing.

black man 3
Oct 29, 2014

by XyloJW

Shaggar posted:

Linux easily claims ownership of the worst parts of computing.

It's psad and also funny that anyone would claim than an operating system, made by and approved by a notorious pedophile and fruitarian, which is literally worse on every single point of contention, is better than Microsoft windows, billy g's own extremely win creation.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

when I see windows me,vista, 8 and 10 I think "win"

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

If you want to do video, the PC is also a clear choice, with a wide variety of powerful graphics cards and high quality drivers to power you through any video or gpgpu related task. If you want to draw things, I need only mention Adobe and Apple's breakup over flash. Do you want to build a robot, or a helicopter? Again, the PC is rich in engineering software. And while the mac does have one decent CAD/CAM package, linux has approximately 1000 of them, none more than 30% complete.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

lol net applications tries to split up all the different verisions of windows as to not appear biased

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

before you go all "waaa windows 7 is sooo old"

Everybody I know who has to use OS X still claim that 10.6 is still the most stable version of OS X and there is no need to upgrade for their AV solutions

except now they just outsource everything to people running windows so they can online their 4K poo poo and ship the product out the door

so 5 year old mac OS is what you need to get the job done, everything else is just beta testing

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

You can still get the job done with windows 8.1, I do every day, but the vocal minority has already said how terrible of an OS it is becuase microsoft didn't manage the nerd microphone online, they will repeat 7s success with 10 with cool launch parties to talk directly to normals and let them know not to listen to the linux nerds complaining that "M DOLLAR SIGN" somehow hosed the whole thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

OldAlias posted:

fair that poo poo is commodity as hell now. fitting for linux. quality routers, printers and pos systems will still be in use. lol when did juniper switch to linux???? never heard of cisco can't be an industry standard or anything.

most cisco routers and afaik all their wireless controllers run linux. classic ios has essentially been abandoned. cisco can see the writing on the wall. cots switching and linux on the control plane are the new normal.

juniper, not so much. they're sticking to their guns and sales have been in freefall for what, two years?

• Locked thread