Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Uh no everyone's lives turned out better because he stopped them from getting killed not because he wasn't there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Kytrarewn posted:

Well, yeah... Probably before or right when he saw Kayo and started bawling. But who is in on the trap in that case? He went to great lengths to keep anyone from knowing about his restored memories, so he didn't get shanked in the dead of night. And let's not forget that suspicious phone call his doctor made right when Satoru woke up... it's possible that more people are involved in this than we think, on his side, as well. They could come up with any manner of political scandal to explain why Nishizono wanted him out of the picture. Even if Kenya and Reporter know the truth, it's an open question how well they'd be able to subdue a killer, given their professions (Lawyer and Retired 600 pound reporter) and builds.

They conveniently skipped the whole conversation with Satoru, Kenya, and the photographer, so I'm 100% sure we're going to flash back to it next week to explain the Bigger Plan.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

vibratingsheep posted:

They conveniently skipped the whole conversation with Satoru, Kenya, and the photographer, so I'm 100% sure we're going to flash back to it next week to explain the Bigger Plan.

So unless there's been another translation error, they said that since they've already waited 15 years, they can wait a little more. I originally took that to mean that they'd talked to Satoru and he couldn't remember anything, but now that seems like it supports this theory.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Sakurazuka posted:

Uh no everyone's lives turned out better because he stopped them from getting killed not because he wasn't there

Well.. yes, I put that poorly, but you know what I meant... it would be altogether too easy for someone to convince themselves that nothing they could have done, had they not been in a coma for 15 years could have improved the outcome.

On another note, since nobody has mentioned it, yet:
Episode 1:

Episode 11:
"Welcome to 2003". Between that Garmin and the reporter's 27" flatscreen monitor, Timelines A and B are pretty clearly set in the present. We're still 10-12 years before the poo poo hit the fans in Timelines A and B. Thus, for example, Airi is currently 5-7 years of age, rather than 17.

I'm not sure what significance it has, if any, but I found it interesting.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I am happy that Kayo and Hiromi are happy.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It not exactly how I wanted her to be happy but same

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Kytrarewn posted:

"Welcome to 2003". Between that Garmin and the reporter's 27" flatscreen monitor, Timelines A and B are pretty clearly set in the present. We're still 10-12 years before the poo poo hit the fans in Timelines A and B. Thus, for example, Airi is currently 5-7 years of age, rather than 17.

I'm not sure what significance it has, if any, but I found it interesting.

The original "present" timeline was 2006, not 2016. (Why are we spoilering this?)

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I noticed no one's eyes are blanked out in the OP any more.

Nor did anyone have red eyes this episode. Is this actually the first time that has happened?

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

Ep. 11
I like that, now that he's grown up but loses memory, his outside voice and inside voice switched.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'd think the teacher's motivation for the murders is purely the thrill of it all, and with that, perhaps preventing Satoru's death was to actually get himself an enemy of sorts. He might hope to continually prevent Satoru from revealing/proving his evil and get a thrill from that too.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

nielsm posted:

I'd think the teacher's motivation for the murders is purely the thrill of it all, and with that, perhaps preventing Satoru's death was to actually get himself an enemy of sorts. He might hope to continually prevent Satoru from revealing/proving his evil and get a thrill from that too.

It fits with his opening monologue, where he kept as a pet the gerbil he failed to kill.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I see it more like being impressed at that one gerbil that manged to survive against all odds. Thus not going after Satoru to finish off the job and instead observing him like a pet and seeing what actions he'll take when he wakes up.

Also, I think it's perfectly fitting that Kayo and Hiromi end up together. Both weren't even supposed to exist as adults and for them to bring new life in to the world really shows the significance of the timeline change.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Futaba Anzu posted:

after watching this episode go back and watch the first episode and the episode where airi leaves the pizza store to bring food to satoru. pay attention to that scene and the scene in the first where mom is calling the guy

from ep 1:
https://a.pomf.cat/kiawca.webm

from ep 5:
https://a.pomf.cat/bcmbri.webm

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

im not sure what im supposed to be seeing tbh

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

im not sure what im supposed to be seeing tbh

Look above their heads.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

oh poo poo!

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

nielsm posted:

Look above their heads.

Fuuuuuuck

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Dammit, that's some fine pre-planning!

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

One other thing I noticed from the changed OT is that the end appears to be a few seconds of someone being shoved off a roof from 1st person perspective. Let's see if this comes true next week.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

nielsm posted:

Look above their heads.

Ohhhhhhh what the fuuuuuuuuck :aaaaa:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Is anyone familiar with the spider tale he's talking about? I don't really understand what the thread is supposed to symbolize for his victims in terms of his motivation for killing them. Is he trying to send them to heaven?

Or is it all just crazy nonsense?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's actually an anime version of The Spiders Thread in the Blue Literature (Aoi Bungaku) TV series, I can't remember which episode though.

It doesn't really make sense, in the original he's given a thread of hope because even though he's a horrible person he did one small good deed before he died but in the end the weight of all his other sins drag him down. I don't really see how that applies to the victims in this and is mostly just serial killer craziness I guess.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Sakurazuka posted:

There's actually an anime version of The Spiders Thread in the Blue Literature (Aoi Bungaku) TV series, I can't remember which episode though.

It doesn't really make sense, in the original he's given a thread of hope because even though he's a horrible person he did one small good deed before he died but in the end the weight of all his other sins drag him down. I don't really see how that applies to the victims in this and is mostly just serial killer craziness I guess.

So if the spider's thread symbolizes a path to redemption, then it seems as though he believes killing these people is a good deed? Maybe he imagines that he is sparing his victims the pain of isolation or something along those lines.

But at the same time that has nothing to do with his desire to watch the ones who struggle to survive (i.e. the hamster).

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

If I remember correctly the story was from the perspective of the savior moreso than the sinner. In this case I think it's just along the lines of him feeling omnipotent than what Kayo/Airi/Mom did or didn't do.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Basically, he seems to like victims who live rough lives/are in perilous circumstances but have a small shot at redemption. He's their fellow criminal dragging them down, as he sees it. I don't think it's out of malice or envy, per se - he just finds it fascinating when people are pushed to their limits, whether they succeed or fail.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the manga devoted an entire chapter to Gaku's backstory between him trapping Satoru in the car and the jump to 2003 where Satoru is in a coma. basically Gaku had an older brother who was violent, and when his parents gave up on him he was physically abusive towards Gaku. after entering middle school, he recruits Gaku to lure girls to their storehouse so he can rape them, which is where Gaku starts learning how to pick victims (loner girls etc). the stuff with Spice and him reading The Spider's Thread come after, and his brother accidentally killing one of the girls is what first triggers him seeing the thread (over his brother's head).
there's not much significance to it as far as i can tell, it's mostly used as a cool visual thing to represent him killing characters in the flashback (his brother, his wife) they skipped. he even sees a thread coming from his own head in a mirror and seems entertained by it.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

nielsm posted:

Look above their heads.

Holy poo poo.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

nielsm posted:

Look above their heads.

that's loving amazing

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
It seems like there's a Boku Dake movie that's out now in theaters in Japan. I wonder how that movie is.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

dogsicle posted:

the manga devoted an entire chapter to Gaku's backstory between him trapping Satoru in the car and the jump to 2003 where Satoru is in a coma. basically Gaku had an older brother who was violent, and when his parents gave up on him he was physically abusive towards Gaku. after entering middle school, he recruits Gaku to lure girls to their storehouse so he can rape them, which is where Gaku starts learning how to pick victims (loner girls etc). the stuff with Spice and him reading The Spider's Thread come after, and his brother accidentally killing one of the girls is what first triggers him seeing the thread (over his brother's head).
there's not much significance to it as far as i can tell, it's mostly used as a cool visual thing to represent him killing characters in the flashback (his brother, his wife) they skipped. he even sees a thread coming from his own head in a mirror and seems entertained by it.

Probably a smart thing to edit out. Not really necessary to the plot, and I never liked the armchair psychology people try to do for villains like this. The hamster story was a lot more poignant.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Pavlov posted:

Probably a smart thing to edit out. Not really necessary to the plot, and I never liked the armchair psychology people try to do for villains like this. The hamster story was a lot more poignant.

i think it was interesting how it established his MO, but yeah it's unnecessary to know anything about Gaku and the backstory obviously doesn't go deep enough to be relevant beyond Spice. there's supposed to be a short spin-off manga focusing on him though.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
The thing about tragic backstories like that is they tend to always resolve the question of, "why is this person so awful" with, "an even more awful person was awful to them!" which really just passes the buck on the origin of that kind of thing.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Pavlov posted:

The thing about tragic backstories like that is they tend to always resolve the question of, "why is this person so awful" with, "an even more awful person was awful to them!" which really just passes the buck on the origin of that kind of thing.

They kinda already did that with Kayo's mom.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I forgot about that. I think I forgave the show for that because the kids thought it was as melodramatic as I did.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Strange Quark posted:

Cycles of abuse do happen that way, so the depiction of Kayo's mom made sense IMO.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Strange Quark posted:

That scene wasn't good, the rest of the episode was great tho.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Devil Tesla posted:

That scene wasn't good, the rest of the episode was great tho.

Maybe it was the anime compressing material, but her grandmother being brought in to explain the whole backstory did seem to come a bit out of left field.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I really liked the symbolism of a cage when they were talking about the cycle of violence.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That is a very cool turn and I like the flipping of the internal voice.

• Locked thread