Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

maninthesuit posted:

He may not need air to breathe, but how does he talk in space? Probably a radio or something, but he's considerate enough to move his mouth anyway in case someone is hard of hearing.

Certain rules just don't apply to you anymore when you become a cyborg and a super robot to boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
So wait, is Tsubaki Hiroshi's granddaughter? Or did Michiru marry someone else after he disappeared?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Alacron posted:

So wait, is Tsubaki Hiroshi's granddaughter? Or did Michiru marry someone else after he disappeared?

The latter. Miwa married into the Tamashiro family after Hiroshi disappeared.

The marriage seems to have been entirely to have the priestess close to herself (as she'd be her daughter or granddaughter), instead of any sort of love. Her feelings were always only for Hiroshi.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Welcome back to the Minerva route split, last time (and today, especially): pic related.

Ichitaka still has a massive lead, but we won’t be keeping this path, so it doesn’t matter.
Any cash earned last mission goes to upping our guys’ EN and weapons.

This was actually Take 2 of the mission, because I forgot to start recording while running through it the first time. Only noticed it like 1/3 of the way through it.
So, I had to redo it... only to forget to set up Tetsuya Kouji and Shizuru since they AREN’T event deployments. Only Shinji, Rei, Mira and Anna are. Again, I noticed it way into the mission and I was not about to redo it again. So, we’ll be going like this:

Rey/Quatre
Athrun/Luna
Shinn
Ichitaka
Kouji/Heine
Tetsuya/Jun
Dancouga/Boss
Zechs/Noin

Let’s get this done with.

We open up with Shibakusa having a heart-to-heart with the Dannar: “We’ve got a major showdown coming and you’ll be stuck here. I’m sure that’s the last thing you want, too. Shizuru said she’d be using the Core Gunner, and Goh can’t fight… but we at least made sure you’re in tip-top shape. That way you can help us out in future battles.”
Morimoto comes on over and says their work is finished, annoying Shibakusa. He told them to find shelter! Nanae and Touko didn’t like the sound of that either, as, one, running off would shame their mechanic spirit and, two, they can’t leave the elderly behind.
Shibakusa is NOT ELDERLY!

Shinobu’s also supposed to have evacuated, but he explains to an angry Hyouma that he can’t find Goh anywhere. Alice says he’s likely at the command room since the infirmary is currently unusable, and Shinobu hopes she’s right. As he leaves, Juzo chides Hyouma for snapping at the guy – the approaching battle has even him uncharacteristically on edge.
Ropett warns him to be careful, as mental stability will affect their ability to combine. Their bot falling apart in the middle of the final battle would only mean trouble for everyone else, Chizuru adds.

“Fine, fine, I get it! …Erm, but I guess that doesn’t sound too believable if I’m still yelling, huh…” Hyouma groans. Kouji adds another reason for him to calm down: we don’t want Hyouma to also trigger the Rabid Syndrome. Everyone’s working to keep each other calm when they get too incensed.
Mind, Alice says we’ve no confirmed infections on anyone outside of Goh, but that’s no reason to let our guard down. In essence, Tetsuya surmises, Hyouma doesn’t need to be all serene about it, but he’d do well not to get too agitated about things – just do it like Rei.

Speaking of, Misato has new orders for her: she’ll be playing defense again. Misato apologizes for always foisting that on her, but she couldn’t think of any strategy that didn’t rely on the A.T. Field, so it’ll have to be her. Shinji comes in right then, having heard that the #00 will be shielding the Minerva.
Misato confirms, adding that the #01’ll be attacking in tandem with our other units. She’s not happy with it, but Shinji’ll need to carry on fighting as he has. With that, it’s almost time for the mission to start, so they leave for the command room.

: As I previously said, the Super Mimetic Beast is currently headed towards the Dannar Base, absorbing the remaining beasts as it goes.
: Here’s a more recent image of it.

*Beep.*

: It’s grown even more gigantic in this short span of time… What a troublesome creature.
: My friends, this will likely be the last battle we’ll have with the Mimetic Beasts. Will it be us who’ll survive, or them?
: Your actions will determine the fate of mankind! I ask that you carve that thought into your hearts and give this mission your all!
: Aye, aye! We’ll be ending things with you today, Mimetic Beasts!
: We… We have to put an end to this battle as quickly as possible.
: Oho? I’d tagged you as a quiet sort, but you’re actually manlier than that. Got a bit of a fighter in you, eh?
: D-Don’t make cracks about me, please. All I’m thinking of is doing whatever I can, the best way I can…
: Hah… Now that you mention it, Shinji did grow into a real man over this.
: Not you too, Kouji.
: And, with that, you’re dismissed. Head to your respective units and prepare to deploy!
: Our long battle with the Mimetic Beasts will end today…
: Yes, it will. Wait for me, Goh – I’ll fight hard for you too.
: Please do. And, above all, come back safe…!
: Absolutely. I’d never die with you watching… I promise!

Mission 22 (Minerva Route) – Heart Break

: The enemy group has just broken past the Dannar Base’s last defensive line!
: We’re expecting the Super Mimetic Beast to have regenerative abilities beyond any other we faced. Don’t let your guard down for an instant!
: You got it. It can regen all day, we’re still gonna pound it into the dirt!
: Here it is: the climax of our battle with the beasties…!
: Let’s do this, everyone!

Mission Objective: Destroy the Super Mimetic Beast
Mission Failure: The Minerva, Goh Okusaer, Combattler, EVA-01 or 00 shot down.

Come one, come all, to the grand opening of the Mimetic Waterpark!
I wouldn’t classify this mission as being hard, but it is VERY annoying. There are a metric fuckton of enemies you’ll have to fight (more coming), plenty of Land Type and Type #13 beasts to slow you down with their large HP pools and, of course, water. Water, everywhere.
Do not send your guys out to meet the enemy. Just don’t. There’s no skill point rushing you and spreading out your troops is a recipe to either get bitten by evasion decay or lose EN to the smaller beasts. This is a mission where energy and SP conservation is the name of the game – coming into the end stretch on fumes will likely mean a hefty repair bill.

With all that in mind, I’ll say “screw you” to all that water and simply have my guys plant their feet on this plot of land. We’ll only leave here once it’s time to engage the Super Mimetic Beast, so the enemy’ll be forced to come in in waves and meet me on my terms.
Play very conservatively here, be patient, and you might have things done by turn 14-15. As always, prioritize the smaller beasts to stop them from draining your EN. Had I not forgotten to set the G-Zero Gunner here, I’d at least have a unit that could reliably hit underwater targets, but no…

Super Mimetic Beast
Pilot Skills:
Break Morale Limit
Commander L3
Prevail L6
Support Attack L2
Attack Combo L2
Mech Features:
10% HP Regen
30% EN Regen

Big huge enemy with a ton of HP and packs a mighty punch. It’s got a MAPW that hits anything in a 6x6 area around it, and that Command Aura is another big reason why you wanna let the enemies come to you. Also, its strongest attack is range 3-8, so it’ll absolutely be sniping at you on approach – docking everyone inside the Minerva’ll make things easier for you.
Now, you might be able to kill it in one round if everyone’s in position to use their best attacks, but it’ll be a tight squeeze. Best approach, I think, is to assume you won’t make it and do it in two turns.

First things first, though, we’ve a ton of enemies to deal with, so let’s get to it. Fast forward!

Enemy Phase!

The EVAs are your best friends this mission because anything outside the boss is very unlikely to pop the A.T. Field. Set them up front.

Most beasts are still on approach.

Player Phase!

Get the little guys!

The first wave of them gets killed by Rei, Anna and Aoi.

Enemy Phase!

Fat Boys still like to snipe.

Quatre’s got the range to counter, though. Two to him and Hyouma

Player Phase!

Shinn’s Arondite hits well enough underwater, mind, so you want him to get that morale quick.
That’s all the Fat Boys down.

Enemy Phase!

Crap, I got greedy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LvA6pAO0CY
Rey can take beams, though.

As the Land/Flying combo come in, our team brings down the fliers and focuses on the bulkier Land Types.

Barely enough, but we’re good. Once you kill enough…[/i]

*Alarm!*

: What is it?!
: Energy spike coming from the Super Mimetic Beast! It’s… A space-time shockwave!
: Hrm?! My meters are…!
: Something’s wrong with my controls…!

*RUMBLE!*

: All hands, brace for impact!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-qdagREH3Q

: What happened?! Move, G-Zero Gunner!
: The Plasma Drive’s level is…!
: Nothing is working – the nuclear fission engines are also faltering! Not even our super-electromagnetic energy can handle this…!
: No one can move…?!
: All deployed troops have been immobilized!
: What?!
: … The #00 can still move.
: Yes, it looks like only the EVAs haven’t been immobilized! How…?!
: My guess is the enemy did something to mess with our units’ drive systems.
: Then why haven’t the EVAs…?
: I get it… it’s because they aren’t actually robots, but man-made humanoids…!
: How’re we looking, Kosuke? Can the mechs bounce back from that?!
: Yes, but it’ll take them several minutes at worst. On the other hand, if we’re hit with another of those attacks before then…
: And it ain’t like the Mimetic Beasts are just gonna sit there. Things just went south in a big way…!
: Our EVAs are still moving, so we’ll try and draw their attention…!
: That’s crazy, Shinji! Even the EVAs and their barriers can’t take these many guys!
: Still, this is what we can do… what we have to do... We’re the only ones who can keep you all safe!
: Shinji…

Another reason you keep your guys back and bunched up is this: let them get immobilized in a bad spot and it’ll be all that much harder to keep them alive if they’re swarmed.
There isn’t anything we can do to speed things up, so we hold back and wait. Your guys can still attack, but most of them are stuck where they are. As before, try to keep Shinji and Rei up front to draw in the enemies.

Player Phase!

: drat it, more of them! Are we still down, Kosuke?!
: Still nothing! We need more time!

*A Type-13 Mimetic Beast rushes Rei down!*

: !! Ayanami!

: …!
: Hrk! This time I’ll protect her…!

: UWAAH!
: Ikari!
: We gotta do something, or he’ll…!
: I’m still up…! We’re the only ones who can move! And I’m the only one who can protect both Ayanami and the Minerva… So that’s what I’ll do…!
: Well said, Shinji!

: Are you hurt, Shinji?
: Goh! Mira!
: Goh?!
: The Godannar and Neo Okusaer?! Who’re piloting them?!
: It’s me and Mira!
: You idiot! If you deploy now, you’ll—!
: I know, but I can’t just watch this and not do anything!
: The future of mankind’s on the line here, and Shinji has it right! I got to do whatever it is that I can do here!
: Heh, I figured he’d turn up eventually if I waited by the Godannar.
: Whatever the case, we’ve to keep our friends and the Dannar Base safe!

: Here we go, Shinji!
: Alright!

Shinji, Rei and the Combattler aren’t essential anymore, but now you need to keep Goh safe (he can move just fine). Proceed as you have, and let the new wave of Mimetic Beasts come across the map.

And make sure you heal Shinji up.

That’s the first batch of enemies down.

Enemy Phase!

Cut a few down to size.

Player Phase!

: I have found you at last, the king of the Mimetic Beasts…
: Blade Gainer! And Lou! You here to start trouble with us again?!
: I haven’t the leeway to bother on you. In fact, surely you realize that we’re both living on borrowed time…
: …! You too…?
: I’ve only a few remnants of life remaining, but I’ll gladly burn them all away here if it lets me crush this beast!

*Ken and Lou cast focus.*

: Hmph… Have it your way. I guess we’ll see whether it’s our lives or his that run out first!
: Come on, Mimetic Beasts! None of us fear death, and now you’ll get an eyeful of the power that gives us!
: Goh, we’re detecting another energy spike within the Super Mimetic Beast! If it fires off that attack again, the Godannar’ll also be immobilized and then it’ll be all over!
: We estimate another three minutes before it fires! You’ll have to destroy it by then!
: Yes, ma’am!

Hahahahaha, no. You’re not on an actual timer, so ignore what the game says and hold your ground. Not like you actually could kill the Super Mimetic Beast with just Goh, Mira, the EVAs and Ken’s group (barring massive upgrades).

Oh, and keep this in mind:

:siren: Secret Alert! :siren:
Do not let either Ken or Lou to get shot down. If you had Goh or Anna destroy Lou in mission 10 (rescue route), you can skip this.

It’s not really difficult, actually, because both have boss HP still. Better still, many of the beasts up there will gang up on Ken, and he can easily carve them up (I suppose that’s bad if you’re keeping this route and want cash).
Just make sure you keep a few Trust casts at the ready, because the Super Beast WILL hurt them, and Lou’s tendency to support defend means she’ll take a lot of punishment.

Carrying on.

: Two minutes until the second space-time shockwave!
: We have to beat the Super Mimetic Beast quickly…!

Annoyingly, the beasts seem to prefer Rei to Shinji.

: None will stop me… I do this for Lou’s sake, as well as my own…!

--

: The king Mimetic Beast, the one that killed my dad…! I finally have you…!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nWcDW85xd0

: We’ve less than a minute until it fires another space-time shockwave! Hurry!
: Copy that! I’ll do whatever it takes!

Player Phase!

: drat! Lou, we’re combining!
: Roger, Ken!

: Are you—?!
: Remember always, this heinous sight… These are the final moments of someone who’s lived for vengeance!

“My vengeance… ends here…”

*The Blade Gainer’s absorbed into the Super Mimetic Beast!

: No…! LOOOOUUU!
: The Super Mimetic Beast’s stopped attacking! It looks like the organ that generated that space-time shockwave’s been damaged!
: All of our units are recovering their controls as we speak!
: It’s great that we can move again, but…
: Lou is…!
: Raaaargh! LOU!! You… you monster! GAAAAAAAAH!!

: Goh!
: Compose yourself, Goh!
: DIIIIIEEEEE!!

: Insania ratio’s jumped past 170! He can’t…! Goh… he’s triggered the Rabid Syndrome!
: GRAAAAAARGH!!

*The Godannar turns hostile!*

: It… it’s happened…
: But… Goh! Please, calm down!
: Goh! Come on!
: UGAAAAAAAH!
: It ain’t working! He’s gone completely crazy!
: Anna, do you think you could get through to him?!
: If we were combined and I could talk to him face-to-face, I’m sure I could…!
: Still, combining with him like that is…
: Wait just a second, professor. We’re putting together a program that should let us override the Godannar’s controls!
: Right, we’ll give Anna the chance she needs!
: OK, then step one is to immobilize the Godannar. In the meantime, we’ll make the necessary changes to the combination routine.
: You all heard him! Cover the Goh Okusaer and immobilize the Godannar!
: GWAAAAAAARGH!
: Urk…! That’s the hero of the War of Giants, for you… His fighting spirit alone hits like a hammer!
: Hrm… And we’re supposed to stop him just by ourselves…?!
: The hell’re you cowering like that for?! Haaaaah! Come and fight me… GOOH!!
: Now it’s my time to help you, Goh. I’ll put a stop to you… but as your friend!
: I swear I’ll save you…! Wait just a bit, Goh!

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 4, 2017

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Still going, our objective now is to reduce the Godannar below 5000 HP.
Goh, like Ken before him, has Prevail L9 now, so you absolutely don’t want to deal with him in the water. Pull back, let him cross the pond and then engage. Do note that he now has a 2-6 range attack, so you’ll need to give him a wider berth.

Fast forward a couple more turns, and Goh’s in position. The last beasts are tagging along, and will support defend him if given the chance – don’t.
With the way clear, we’re ready to go.

: Kch… uurk…
: I’ve learned so much from you and our friends…
: If I can pay you back just a bit, then I will…! I might be so afraid, but it doesn’t matter! I want to save you, Goh!

Shinji: “I’ll… stop the Godannar!”

: Watch our stance, Sakuya. Mess up and he’s going to send us flying…!
: I’m doing the best I can here…! No promises when we’re up against the Godannar jacked up on some Mimetic Beasts, though!
: Hrrgh… UWAAAAA!
: Incoming, Aoi!
: We gotta pin him down…! I wanna see my favorite Beauty and the Beast couple back together!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4YRSm5Stdc
Here’s the new attack, with the Mimetic Beasts Sakuya was talking about.
Aoi: “We’ve to take on the Godannar…”
Johnny: “That’s about as tough as this can get!”

: (Dying was never what truly scared Goh…)
: (No, it was losing his humanity and becoming an enemy of those who fight for our future… That’s what scared him above all…)
: (Then there’s only one thing I can do for him…)

Mira: “Goh, I…”

: Never thought we’d ever be scuffling like this… This is someone I never wanted to fight if I could’ve helped it.
: GRAAAAAARGH!
: Let’s do this, Goh! I’m stopping you with every drop of strength I got!

Kouji: “We’re never giving up on you, Goh!”

When Goh’s under 25k HP:

*Beep, beep!*

: That’s… We’re detecting new Mimetic Beasts signals!
: What, more are incoming?!

: That’s a Destroy! They hijacked even that thing?!
: Your main objective is still the same. Keep an eye on the new hostiles, but focus on immobilizing the Godannar!

: NGAAAAH!
: His presence is overwhelming… But we can’t fail here! We’ll stop him, just like we did with Kouichi!

Quatre: “I’ve to stop the Godannar, whatever it takes!”

: You can’t just up and die on us! Even I was looking forward to seeing your comeback!
: RAAAAAAAARGH!
: So I’m coming in to bail you out! I’ll put a stop to the Godannar!

Shinn: “The hero of the War of Giants… can we really stop him?”

: Goh… You’ve taught me so much about how to fight. And I’ll be saving with you all of that!
: Let’s do it, Ichitaka!

Ichitaka: “We might be up against the Godannar, but this is no time to be chicken!”

: Wasn’t a world free of the Mimetic Beasts your dream, Goh?! We’re so close to making that real!
: Oorgh…GAAAAAAH!
: Hang in there, Combattler! We can’t get broken down before the Dannar’s immobile!

Chizuru: “We’ve got to bring Anna’s feelings to him!”
Hyouma: “Yeah, here we go!”

: Goh Saruwatari… What’ll become of LOTUS if we lose even you?
: Guuooorgh…UWOOOOO!
: No, we just cannot let that happen! You’re the leader of our troops… and our comrade in arms!

Zechs: “What a crushing spirit… your reputation is well deserved, Godannar!”

: It’s not every day I get the chance to fight someone of your skill, Goh... !
: Hrrmm… AAAAAAH!!
: Hah… Even I, Tetsuya Tsurugi, am intimidated… You’re an amazing man, Goh Saruwatari…!

Tetsuya: “The Godannar… Never did I expect it to turn into such a terrifying enemy!”

: Goh, listen to me! Goh!
: UOOOOOOH!
: It’s really not going to work unless we combine…? You pigheaded moron!
: (I’ll be seeing you soon… Hold on, Goh…!)

Anna: “Hang in there, Goh! I’m going to save you, I promise!”

: K-K-Kch…

: He’s still going?!

*Mira turns neutral!*

: Mira?!
: I made a promise to him. That if he ever turned into our enemy… then I’d kill him…!
: Mira! Are you going to use that?!
: I won’t just let you have him, Anna! I’ll kill him, and then I’ll also die!
: STOOOOP!!

: Did she do it…?!
: No, the Godannar wasn’t destroyed!
: And now he can’t move at all…
: Huh…?!

*Mira switches back.*

: It was you who took him from me during my five years of sleep, Anna…
: So show me the bond you two share… so that I might give up… so that I might move on!
: … Okay! Take a look!
: We’re all done programming! The Godannar can Drive Change!
: I’m coming right now, Goh! Drive Change – GO!

: Godannar, Twin Drive!

: I’m here, Goh!
: Anna… Don’t… Don’t look… at me…
: There’s nothing to be afraid of… It’s only the two of us in here.
: Goh… I love you…!

: That’s!
: She really did it…!
: Goh…
: Thanks, Anna… If you’re here with me… then I can fight!!
: It is by gaining a human soul that the Steel Giant, that which is equal to God, becomes a true ENVOY OF JUSTICE!
: This is the marriage of God and soul! Forward, everyone! Now is the time to bring this battle to a close!

OH MY GOD, WE ARE ALMOST FINISHED!
Except that there are still a ton of MS beasts down south, but they’re on land and are very easily dispatched.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W5CWHG8Ob0
And here’s the video of Mira’s new attack, complete with the DK.

Fast forward another couple of turns for me to kill everything, get everyone aboard the Minerva and sail the over to Boss Island.
Now we can finally bring this drag of a mission to a close!

:siren: :siren:

: This is it! We just need to take you out, and then no one’ll have to live in fear of the Mimetic Beasts…
: Step up, beasties! Today’s the last day of your lives!

--

: This one sure has power on a wholly different level from the Trojan Horse…
: Too bad for you, the Great Hero’s been an old hand at monster hunting for years now. Super Mimetic Beast or no, you’ll go down just the same!

: Can we actually beat this giant of a Mimetic Beast…?
: No, I can’t let it intimidate me… I made a decision to answer the Chairman’s resolve in kind. So, whatever enemy comes my way, I’ll fight!

: Think it’s really gonna be over this time?
: Judging by what Prof. Tatsuya said, I’m sure everything’ll be A-OK.
: And they can come back a many times as they want, we’ll just drive them out. Again and again, all in the name of peace… sounds good?
: What he said. But, with luck, we’ll also have some time to put our feet up…
: So come on! We’ll take on all comers until peace is back in this world!

: Do keep calm, Hyouma. Let yourself get too incensed and you’d be playing right into the Mimetic Beasts’ hand.
: Relax, Kosuke… I’m as cool as can be here…
: I’m Hyouma Aoi of LOTUS. We’re carrying the future of everyone on Earth on our backs, and I’m not screwing up right at the moment of truth!
: Hyouma…
: Today’s the day…! We’re putting an end to the battle with the Mimetic Beasts right now! Let’s do this, guys!

Once its HP is under 50%…

: We’ve done so much damage to it, and it hasn’t even flinched yet…!
: That’s why it’s the king. It’s way tougher than all of its mooks…!

: Look! The Celleblader came out the Super Mimetic Beast!
: Lou…! You’re alive?!
: And I can still fight as well, Goh! Ken… he showed me where the Super Mimetic Beast’s regeneration organ’s at! Over there!
: Meaning, if we can destroy that…!
: Then we’ve a good chance of yanking the carpet out from under ‘em!
: Good…! Just a bit more… and we can win this…!

: This is where my history with you beasts comes to a close…! I’ll bring an end to everything with this battle…!

: I don’t know how far I can go with this, but I made up my mind…! I’ve enough strength to protect others, and I will protect them…!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g65A0zUFxLA

: It could be said that the Mimetic Beasts wouldn’t have evolved this much if we hadn’t driven them into a corner…
: But, from the beasts’ POV, any powerless human is an easy mark. And, so, I cannot hesitate to turn my blade against them!

: OK, this is the real final showdown! And we’re here to bring peace to the spirits of all those you monsters hurt!

: I understand… you’re also just trying your hardest to survive. Still, we cannot just allow that. Because we know it’d only mean more sorrow spreading through the world!

: Goh! We’ll finish it off together!
: Yeah…!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOCj58SpbUQ

: The Super Mimetic Beast’s core is confirmed destroyed!
: Take THAT!

: Y-YEAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!
: The Mimetic Beasts… are finished!
: Rrgh…
: Goh… Goh?!
: I know well the pain of those left behind. I won’t die and do that to you…!
: Goh…!

And there we have it… Here are the convos we missed:

: (This thing is terrifying… Just looking at it has got me shivering.)
: (But even more than that is my desire to fight against it. I can’t deny that. Mira, if the worst comes to happen… do what you must.)
: … I am Goh Saruwatari, beast! And this’ll be our final battle!

--

: This can’t be how it ends… the man I loved deserves better…!
: … I’ll make you a deal, Goh. Come back to us and I’ll treat you to some world-class wine and steak!

--

: This has been a long time coming… And you’ll get an ample taste of how powerful a woman can be after she’s been kept waiting all this time!

--

: Goh Saruwatari! If you’ve really turned into a bad guy, then it’s my job to take you down!
: Hrk… uuurgh…!
: But I know you’re a big hero, not an enemy! So I… WE will stop you!

--

: If the enemy’s strong, then you burn even stronger… That’s what being a man’s all about…!
: You look like the real deal, Super Mimetic Beast! Let’s do this and see who’ll be leaving here with the gold!

: Okay, Goh! Open wide!
: P-Please, Anna. I can eat just fine by myself…
: No, no, I wanna help you! Again, open wide! How does it taste?
: It’s rice porridge, it doesn’t taste good or bad…
: Oh, don’t be like that. You know how hard it was to make this?
: All it takes is Anna being around for your Badass Ace shtick to come crashing down, eh, Goh?
: Still, I’m so glad things ended fine for hm.
: Absolutely. Even with a successful vaccine being made, the fact that Goh managed to recover from that state tells of how amazing he is.
: Hell, yeah. Refusing to die until the very end is a must for heroes!
: “A must for heroes”, huh… Right, you’re all amazing.
: Hey, now, what’re you talking about there? You’re also one of the day’s heroes, Shinji.
: Yeah, you and Rei.
: O-Oh, no… We were just lucky that we were piloting the EVAs…
: We just did as we had to.
: Standing your ground, and doing as you have to; a simple thing in theory, but very hard to put into practice. What you did today is very much worthy of praise, Shinji.
: You were brave and you did real good, that’s what we think. Always knew you had it in ya, Shinji.
: …
: Nevertheless, we also owe some major thanks to the PLANTs scientists.
: Yeah, I still can’t believe how fast they managed to cook up a vaccine for the Insania Virus, especially with how no one knew that much about the thing until recently.
: Wasn’t just our folks that made it happen, you know. It was a joint effort between them, JUDA and the Dannar Base.
: Hm, developing a countermeasure for the Insania Virus was a worldwide matter. You don’t need to thank us specifically.
: But still, we both want to do it regardless!
: A-Alright…
: The people of the PLANTs, JUDA, at the Dannar Base…
: And all of our friends in LOTUS, who’ve always had our backs… You all deserve our deepest gratitude…

Misato’s talked to Lady Une and she’s left it up to her to decide what to do with Lou. So, does the girl seriously want to fight with us? She is: “Both Ken and I lost people we loved to the Mimetic Beasts, and that made us choose the path of battle. I don’t want there to be other people like me, so I want to fight for that.”
Goh walks in and likes what he hears: if she’s now fighting now for vengeance, but the for the sake of others, then it’s a good sign of how much she’s grown as a warrior. Both he and Anna aren’t going to stop her from doing this – rather, they’ll be together now not just as family, but as fellow teammates.
Lou is very thankful, and very apologetic for everything she did. But there’s someone else, and Kiriko asks if he shares in Lou’s new agenda.

It’s Ken, and having already forsaken his life once, he figures it’s his turn to support the girl’s wishes. The hostile codenamed Menage Zero died fighting the Super Mimetic Beast, Kiriko declares and suggests he carry on his new life as a warrior.
Misato seems satisfied and welcomes them both the crew – they’ll all be working together in the name of world peace!

You probably already guessed it, but you only get Ken if you did either of the secret steps in this stage or the previous split.

Speaking of, ending the battle with the Mimetic Beasts puts us one step closer towards that. There’s still much to be done, Misato knows, but it’s certainly a step forward. And now that Hyouma takes a look at the command room, he realizes: where’s Tatsuya? The guy isn’t around anywhere.
Kiriko says he left not too long ago, off to look into some other enemy factions prowling about the world. The guy keeps as busy as Lady Une herself, she sighs. Still, Anna’s sure she’ll see her father again once the world is truly at peace.

Now, Lulu’s just called over to report on the fight with the Jama Kingdom and is en route to JUDA to rendezvous with us. Kiriko thanks us again for all our hard work, but, of course, our battles are far from over. It’ll be a while to get there while there still are other groups threatening the world, but she wishes us to keep our chins up.
Tetsuya thanks her back for all the help she and her team’s provided, and Misato orders everyone back to JUDA – there’ll likely be much to discuss.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Sep 3, 2017

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017
I don't think I ever noticed before when I played this, but they gave Goh infected versions of his cut-ins. That's a really nice detail that they could have easily skipped, especially since it is only this one stage where it applies. I do remember another similar 'bonus' elsewhere in the game, but I won't talk about it further until we get there.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

This stage owns. There's a million events making things harder for you every few turns, the terrain is a pain and you're missing half the cast because it is during a route split. When I first played L, I was following the eva routes but most of my upgraded and leveled units were in the space route. The end result was a very intense endurance run in which I milked all of my units dry.

Good times.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Brunom1 posted:

: Never thought we’d ever be scuffling like this… This is someone I never wanted to fight if I could’ve helped it.
: Let’s do this, Goh! I’m stopping you with every drop of strength I got!

Wrong Goh portrait here, unless being in sight of Kouji's hot blooded sidebangs somehow calmed him down instead of making the situation worse.

Because let's face it, those bangs can only increase a person's weakness towards the Insania Virus. Merely having them makes your passion increase.

Also Goddannar Triple Drive started cool but the whole thing ends up feeling pointless if it ends with a Rider Kick without Lou. Lame. The unique cut-in for berserk Goh was neat though, considering that will get used a grand total of once seeing how Goh is back to normal now.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
So Ken and Lou lived their lives for revenge, attacked their allies for no reason, got everything they wanted and suffered no (meaningful) consequences.

This game teaches good life lessons. :v:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, I suppose asking you to hurry over this kind of terrain is just adding insult to injury. Do we not even have, like, the one token robot whose entire thing is that it kicks rear end in the water?

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Glazius posted:

Yeah, I suppose asking you to hurry over this kind of terrain is just adding insult to injury. Do we not even have, like, the one token robot whose entire thing is that it kicks rear end in the water?

In our current group, pretty much only the G-Zero Gunner has a decent amount of A ranked attacks in water. Any beam weapon is absolute garbage underwater, so you can throw out most Gundam weapons, and the best you'll get out of most melee weapons is a B rank.

As for our whole group, only the Crab Bunker strikes me as being the other option. On that subject, Daiya and Yanma would have absolutely DESTROYED in this map.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I'm going to imagine that the Mimetic beast's brilliant plan for infecting Destroys is to disguise themselves as a backpack, and just wait for them to be put on.

It wasn't even a very good disguise, just a blob of flesh and eyeballs with backpack straps. "gently caress it, let's put this on a mobile suit"

RIP Cosmo Boy. The real loss of this monster war.

Alacron posted:

So Ken and Lou lived their lives for revenge, attacked their allies for no reason, got everything they wanted and suffered no (meaningful) consequences.

This game teaches good life lessons. :v:
Such is the way of unlocking extra pilots in SRW.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Yeah I get the impression that in the source material, Ken would have died here, and Lou is both a young kid (I think) and also presumably this being the finale, they didn't need to fight after this anyway. It's just a weird conceit due to this being a SRW game as mentioned.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
It would have made more sense to have Ken and Lou (or just Ken, let's be honest) be incapacitated and rejoin at a later point, like what they're doing with Stella. But I guess they just want to be pretty much done with Godannar's plot and focus on other stuff like Evangelion and Macross.

Can't really blame the writers for blitzing through this, Ken seems like the most generic "RAAAGH REVENGEANCE!!!" character possible, I wouldn't want to write too much of him either.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Nice to see that Mara's branching out.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Alacron posted:

It would have made more sense to have Ken and Lou (or just Ken, let's be honest) be incapacitated and rejoin at a later point, like what they're doing with Stella. But I guess they just want to be pretty much done with Godannar's plot and focus on other stuff like Evangelion and Macross.

Can't really blame the writers for blitzing through this, Ken seems like the most generic "RAAAGH REVENGEANCE!!!" character possible, I wouldn't want to write too much of him either.
Do note that the previous SRW game also featured Godannar heavily and had it be prevalent throughout most of the game, to the point where they have two sets of portraits for Goh (his season 1 appearance and his season 2 appearance, the latter of which L uses). So, trimming down a series they've already done is not surprising (they're doing the same with Gaiking in L, too). Admittedly, we've played through most of Jeeg's content when K also used it heavily, so...yeah.

But yes, I do not like this map for pretty much the reasons Brunom mentioned: it's a long, tedious slog that slams a lot of things in your face to pad out the run time. The biggest slowdown is the instant immobilization part of the stage. Nothing prepares you for this, so you can easily be caught off-guard and having units out of position/in range of enemies that can safely snipe them without fear of counterattack. Overall, it's just not a fun stage to play through and overstays its welcome very quickly, even for a series finale stage.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

AradoBalanga posted:

Do note that the previous SRW game also featured Godannar heavily and had it be prevalent throughout most of the game, to the point where they have two sets of portraits for Goh (his season 1 appearance and his season 2 appearance, the latter of which L uses). So, trimming down a series they've already done is not surprising (they're doing the same with Gaiking in L, too). Admittedly, we've played through most of Jeeg's content when K also used it heavily, so...yeah.

I've heard they didn't give Jeeg that great of a treatment in K, so maybe this is Banpresto's way of making up for it? Regardless, way I see it, unless you're a huge Godannar fan (or SEED Destiny, for that first mission), there's pretty much no reason to take this path: the Jeeg route gives better money (120k more, on my end), its missions are nowhere near as annoying as these, and you can get Ken anyway.

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...
The Insania Virus apparently turned Goh into a Getter Robo character, it's a shame we had to cure him.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

HiKaizer posted:

Yeah I get the impression that in the source material, Ken would have died here, and Lou is both a young kid (I think) and also presumably this being the finale, they didn't need to fight after this anyway. It's just a weird conceit due to this being a SRW game as mentioned.

Wait this was Godannar's finale? That was kinda underwhelming. Especially since the other route is doing the Jeeg finale and that's been much cooler.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Wait this was Godannar's finale? That was kinda underwhelming. Especially since the other route is doing the Jeeg finale and that's been much cooler.

On the other hand, we get Goh back.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I feel like that's a consequence of the types of stories the two are- Godannar is a series as much about interpersonal relationships as it is about 'giant robots punching things' and it's more about the family there coming together than it is about all the big action- the giant robot stuff is more a vehicle for it (pun not intended).

Meanwhile, Jeeg is 120% 'Giant robot action craziness, full stop'. And being a miniseries rather than a full two season show, on top of not having the budget problems that Godannar did, lets them do a LOT more with the stuff going on.

Fun fact that I don't know if it's been mentioned: The team actually put out doujins after season 1 to try to make up the money so they could ACTUALLY do season 2.

E: Didn't Godannar have a bunch of side-character international robots that are a big thing in the show, but apparently due to toy company licenses they can't use in SRW appearances? I remember hearing something about that.

KaosMachina fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 5, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

SyntheticPolygon posted:

For what it's worth, part of the problem is the final episode has a years later timeskip involving stuff that the game had to, well, skip.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

KaosMachina posted:

I feel like that's a consequence of the types of stories the two are- Godannar is a series as much about interpersonal relationships as it is about 'giant robots punching things' and it's more about the family there coming together than it is about all the big action- the giant robot stuff is more a vehicle for it (pun not intended).

Meanwhile, Jeeg is 120% 'Giant robot action craziness, full stop'. And being a miniseries rather than a full two season show, on top of not having the budget problems that Godannar did, lets them do a LOT more with the stuff going on.

Fun fact that I don't know if it's been mentioned: The team actually put out doujins after season 1 to try to make up the money so they could ACTUALLY do season 2.

E: Didn't Godannar have a bunch of side-character international robots that are a big thing in the show, but apparently due to toy company licenses they can't use in SRW appearances? I remember hearing something about that.

I didn't know if it was a licensing issue, but yes, we don't get a TONNE of Godanner units.

My first introduction to Godanner was this trailer on a preview disc from Newtype USA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxqsmH2EmmA

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

I've heard they didn't give Jeeg that great of a treatment in K, so maybe this is Banpresto's way of making up for it?
Jeeg in K is okayish, but suffers from a couple of odd design decisions. For one, the EN costs to many higher tier attacks are outright insane, but Kenji gets a very special unique case (spoiler tagged since we haven't seen it here in the LP): his ultimate attack costs 140 EN at base (read: without E-Save). Kenji's Jeeg's initial base EN stat from when he joins at the start of K is 130, so if you do a no-upgrade run in K, you literally cannot use Kenji's best move in the game because you are 10 EN short. Another issue is the game's pacing hurting a couple of things. For instance, Tsubaki getting possessed by Himika happens for like 2 minutes during an in-mission cutscene in K (after which Tsubaki is returned to the heroes almost immediately) rather than be set up prior to a mission and played out more in L. And said sequence of events is the appetizer to Dangaioh finally defeated Gil Berg for good and one of the original villains getting backstabbed by Gil (shocking, I know), which are treated more like the main event. Kyo revealing his true form also gets delayed until the finale stage of Jeeg in K as opposed to happening alongside the theft of the Bronze Bell here, because again, K paces itself very weirdly.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

We’re back at the Himika route – the actually fun route – and Daiya’s sprint shows no sign of stopping. Ichitaka’s actually been caught up by Kenji now, likely due to the former’s attack power starting to lag behind the other protags.

Still, I help him and his buddy out. The Rushbird’s squad bonus is now Armor +200, HP+1500, A in Land, Movement +1; Linebarrel’s is melee weapons’ power +200, mobility +15.
Our Jeegs max out their EN, Alto, Iczer-3 and Kenichi take random stuff here and there.

As for our squads, every Jeeg unit is still auto-deploying, so we’re the same as before:
Ozma/Luca
Gaiking/Yanma
Kouichi/Yamashita
Ichitaka/Miu
Dick/Puria
Domyoji/Klan
Voltes/Canaria
Alto/Michel
Iczer-3/Deceive

Onward!

Evil is swerving all around our people, and Lulu feels it all gathering into the Great Bronze Bell. Iczer-3 feels it too – it’s just as bad as Neos Gold – and Kyo explains that the Jama Kingdom is crystallizing and converting hatred, resentment, and all kinds of negative emotions into power for them to use.
That’s some appropriately dark fuel they use there, Kenji sniffs, but Tsubaki is certain we can counter it by materializing our own wishes for peace and happiness. “You two managed to reclaim the Bronze Bells, so I’m sure you can seal away the Great Bronze Bell,” Hiroshi adds.

In the meantime, Daiya says we’ll stoke the flames in our hearts and help them out all the way; none of us will be broken by some negative emotions, says Alice! That goes double for Kouichi, who’s not willing to let hatred control him again.
Sounds great to Kenji – charge!

Mission 22 (Himika Route) – The Blade of the Soul, Piercing Through Evil

Himika’s rather amused that we’d dare face the might of the Great Bronze Bell – ample proof that we’re idiots to Amaso. Kenji and Ichitaka don’t care, of course: even if they got a power-up from the Bronze Bell, that still won’t make us give in! Things won’t be going their way while we’re around to fight!
Himika scoffs at our sass: we are nothing more than cosmic trash, and we know not our place! Indeed, having gained the power of the Great Bronze Bell, Amaso proclaims themselves to be invincible; Mimashi and Ikima are more than willing to get rid of us themselves, even if it costs them their lives, saving Himika the trouble of having to deal with us. CRY IN TERROR!
Jeffrey and Lulu ignore them, tagging the Great Bronze Bell as our primary target – that antique has to go. “Here we come, Himika! Your gang’s gonna be smoke by the time we’re done!” Kenji yells.

Kill everything, don’t lose any ship or Jeeg units.
Now this is far less of a hassle than the Godannar finale, in that what you see is what you get. There’s a big mob of Haniwas up ahead, with Himika’s three goons right in the middle. In other words, it’s the exact fight you had in the previous mission.
There’s more to it, of course, but this first part of our offensive has no surprises. Only thing I’d suggest is that, like on the other path, you try your best to conserve especially your SP – you’ve two ships and several units with command auras, so you should manage to only pop spirits for the bosses. Oh, and there are some bigger meteors around the area that’ll give +20% to evasion and defense, so keep an eye out for them.
The plot’ll kick in once all enemies are down, so let’s fast fooorwaaard!

And I don’t know if I never took this attack on someone vulnerable to debuffs, but it was only NOW that I realized it turns the range of all your attacks to poo poo. Might wanna prioritize these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl8deEQgETQ
And here’s Classic Jeeg’s Mach Drills, complete with Micchi showing that she’s nowhere as hotblooded as Tsubaki when shooting parts.

: How could I let myself be defeated here...! Your Majesty, I leave everything in your hands!!

: That was Mimashi, right…? I probably wouldn’t be here if he hadn’t attacked Misaki back then…
: I guess that’s one thing I’m grateful to him…

: Gwargh! You kicked me?! Not even Her Majesty kicks me! YOUR MAJESTYYYYYY!!

: What a weirdo… but he was still pretty strong.

: Heheheh! HAHAHAHA! Sacrificing myself is nothing if it’ll benefit Her Majesty!
: I’ll be awaiting your arrival in the underworld, HUMAAAANSS!

: So loyal until the end… he sure was worthy of being one of her three generals.
: Well, he won’t be away from her long. Himika’ll be following real soon!

Once everything’s dead…

: Hmhmhm… AHAHAHAHA!
: The hell are ya laughing at, Himika?!
: I’m simply amused at how quickly Ikima and the others perished! Ahahahaha!
: And that’s funny to you?! They were your allies…!
: You’re telling me your kind really doesn’t know love, companionship or anything?!
: No matter, I’ll give you ample display of my might. Rise, evil spirits! I command you to gather and take up form before me!
: What’s she doing?! Something’s off – I can feel it!

*BOOM!*

: What was that?!
: That wasn’t just malice… those were ghosts!

: A mass of pure evil… is it pouring through from Hell itself…?!
: Anyone have a magic sword to cut these down? Because I think we’ll need one…!

*BOOM!*

: HAHAHAHA! Can you still prattle about love in a universe that produced so much enduring hatred? Hell is awash with these souls!
: Why don’t you take a closer look? You might even spot some familiar faces in there! Hahahahaha…!

: Uuuuuuuuuh!
: The hell?!
: I can feel it… hatred from all around the universe is massing inside him!
: So it’s an amalgamation of evil spirits…?
: Hahahaha! Every last one of you’ll die here!
: The Susano-o’s grows as it devours grieving, hateful spirits, and your planet is a treasure trove of those! Its strength shall be limitless!
: Uuuuuuuuh!
: That guy’s scary...!
: Seriously, even I’m getting chills down my spine…!
: Hrm…!
: Don’t let ‘em push you around, people!

: ! Kenji…!
: Even if we gotta tangle with all the evil and bad juju in the universe, so what?! We’ll fight back with enough positive vibes to kick its rear end! That’s how we’ll keep Earth safe!
: … He’s right. We’ll be going nowhere fast by feeling blue.
: Muster your resolve once more, troops. We’ve an exorcism to see to!
: I said it once, and I’ll say it again: bring it! Your evil ain’t breaking my spirit!

Susano-o
Pilot Skills:
Break Morale Limit
Prevail L7
Support Attack L2
Attack Combo L2
Mech Features:
10% HP Regen
30% EN Regen

The Susano-o is the strongest enemy we’ve had to deal with by a mile: it’s got massive stats everywhere, good skills, armor, accuracy, 100k HP, power, etc, etc.
It’s also jampacked with stuff you need to be wary of: first and foremost, it, like the Super Mimetic Beast, has a MAPW that hits in a 6x6 area around it (thankfully it takes 130 morale, and it’s unlikely to get there); its weakest attack (3-8 range) drains SP and second strongest (2-6 range) decreases your attack power. So, attacking it at point blank is best if your guy can’t dodge.
The big Prevail, HP Regen and MAPW (with a +30 accuracy modifier) means you really wanna try to beat it in one round, and your guys are certainly capable of doing that – just make sure everyone’s in range to use their best tricks. Do that, make sure everyone’s protected, and you’ll be fine.

Also…

It’s invincible!

: Surely that’s not all you’re capable of! Your struggles won’t amount to anything if attacks like that are your best!
: Hate to say it, but that thing’s strong…!
: It’s pretty much a being of pure, inexhaustible energy, so conventional weapons won’t help…!
: … I’ll find us a way!
: Tsubaki?!
: Find us… What’re you up to?!
: It’s being fed energy from the Great Bronze Bell! If we can cut that stream, then…!

*Tsubaki flies towards the Great Bronze Bell!*

: Tsubaki, that’s crazy! What’re you doing, Kyo?!
: Don’t worry, Kenji… Whatever may happen, I’ll keep her safe.
: It might really be crazy… but it’s something only I can do!
: But!
: Kenji… I’ve already died once at Aso. My life span is also reaching its end – that’s why I entrusted the Bronze Bells to you and Hiroshi.
: …! Are you…?!
: Get ready, Himika! I’m going to tear your secret weapon, that lump of evil, to pieces!
: The audacity… There is nothing a child like you can do!
: Takeru may have eluded death before, but Hell now beckons the two of you!!

: Aa—
: N-No…
: Kyo... Tsubaki...
: You son of a bitch...! AAAAAAAAAAARGH!!

: Gwooooooh!
: Kenji, stop! Calm down!
: They’ll pay! THEY’RE ALL GONNA PAY!!

: Get away from it, Kenji!
: SHUT UUUP!!

: HAAHAHAHA! Ultimately, humans are nothing but fools! For all your proclamations about justice, you are quick to lose yourselves to anger and hatred!
: That’s bull! Being considerate to one another, doing what’s right – that’s what it means to be human!
: I’ll concede that your emotions are powerful, indeed. However, it is when those are transformed into hatred that their full power is manifested!

: Kenji…!
: Do you understand now? Hatred is the mightiest force in the universe! Hahahahah!
: There’s no way hatred’s the strongest! Absolutely not! Humans are much better than that!
: Nonsense. It was precisely by the idiocy of humans that my warrior has taken form! Behold the depths of their sins, and know them to be true!
: Go, Jeeg! Consign your very being to boundless hatred and be reborn as a demon!
: GAAAAAWAAAAARGH!

: Kenji’s temperature, blood pressure and heartrate are increasing rapidly! He’s…!
: Don’t let anger lead you on, Kenji! Control yourself!
: UoooOOoOOOoOOOOO!

: Urgh…! Kenji…!
: Are you alright, Hiroshi?!
: Kenji, you gotta pull yourself together!
: He can barely remember his own name, I’d wager! Such is a human: no more than a dimwitted animal!
: Do you see it now? At your core, there is no difference between your kind and ours!
: What do we do…?! Only Kenji and Tsubaki could seal away the Great Bronze Bell…!
: If Kenji won’t stop, then there’s only one option left for us!
: We’ll have to… fight Jeeg!
: Huuh!?
: You’re telling us to beat him?!
: I can’t do it! That’s still Kenji!
: I want you to trust me here! If anything, we need to first pummel him into submission!

: UOOOOOOOH!
: Back when I’d hit rock bottom, everyone helped pull me back up!
: So now I’ll be there to help pull you off that vortex of hatred, Kenji!

: UoooOOoOOOoOOOOO!
: Kenji, please! Wake up!
: This is the worst possible moment for you to let those evil spirits get the better of you!
: Hahahah! You waste your breath! If you care for your friend so, why not put him out of his misery and end his life?
: We won’t play your games, Himika! We will bring Kenji back to normal…!
: Everyone attack! If we can immobilize him, then maybe…!
: Guess we can’t afford to hesitate…! All troops, move to engage Jeeg!

This route gets in on that action, too, though Kenji actually has way more HP than Goh – 8000 is a pretty big leeway, though, and his armor’s not that high. This is where you start spending that SP you’ve been hoarding, as Kenji’s got a lot of Prevail, hits hard and is quite dodgy if you’re not packing some spirits.
Don’t go too crazy, though, because we’ll still need a healthy amount of EN and SP for after he’s weakened!

: I know all about how humans hold both good and evil in their hearts!
: So show us that you can beat that hate into submission, Kenji! Don’t let your bad side take over for good!

: Even if we’ve to tangle with all the evil in the universe, we’ll fight back with our positive vibes and keep Earth safe! Those were your words, Kenji!
: So how can you just let yourself be consumed by those negative emotions?! I know you’re man enough to soldier through that! Get to it!
: Gwuurgh…!

: Curse you, Himika… She turned Kenji’s feelings against him…!
: But there’s still a little perv somewhere in there, so maybe we could work that angle? He might surprise us and get back to normal!
: I wouldn’t be completely against that if it looked like it’d actually work…

: Uooooh…! UUAAAAAAAA!
: We really gotta fight Jeeg… Holding back against him would only get us dead!
: I know, I know! We’ll have to fight seriously… but only so we can save him!

: UOOOOOOOH!!
: drat, what kind of creepy flame is that?! It’s so different from ours and Proist’s… Is that also ‘cause of his hatred…?!

: What’re you doing, letting some evil spirits put a leash on you, Kenji?! I know you’re not a wimp like that!
: Ichitaka, we should just trust in Hiroshi for now! I know we’ll find a way around this if we do!
: Uurgh… Do I really have to fight him…?!

: UOOOOoooOOO!
: Don’t let those spirits control you, Kenji! You are still alive, and that life is your own!

--

: OOOOOOORGH!
: Kenji, I know how much you cared for Tsubaki and Kyo!
: But think of how sad they’d be to see those feelings turn you into Himika’s puppet!

: Grrgh…! Uoooooh…!

*Kenji twitches about.*

: How…?! He’s on his last legs, but he’s not stopping…!
: UOOOOOoooOoOOoooo!

: Kenji… Is there really no way to save you…?!
: Hmhm…HAHAHA! Oh, how do I enjoy the sight of you killing one another! Please, do finish him off!
: UGWAAAAAAAH!
: STOOOP!!
: …!

: I’m so sorry for worrying you guys!
: Tsubaki!
: Captain, we’ve visual on both the Big Shooter and Baruba!
: They’re alive…!
: Kenji, I’m here and I’m safe! Baruba saved us!
: Grrrrr!
: We’re all safe…! So go back to being the Kenji I know!
: Tsuba… ki…
: Wake up from your nightmare, Kenji!
: Please, come back! KENJIIII!!

: HAAAAAAAAAAAH!

: GWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!
: Kenji!
: Tsubaki… I heard your heart loud and clear! Same goes for all you guys’… Tsubaki relayed all your feelings to me!
: Hahah… He’s himself again.
: You’re gonna have to work hard to pay us back for that, Kenji.
: I’m really, really sorry! And I will repay ya – with interest, even!
: Are you good to go, Kenji?
: Yeah, absolutely!
: You’ll still continue with this exercise in futility?! Surely you’ve grasped the gulf between our powers!
: I didn’t, and I won’t! Let’s do this, Tsubaki!
: OK! Jeeg Parts – Shoot!
: Build UUUUUUP!!

: Steel! JEEEEEEEG!!
: Grooowr!

: Hahahaha! However many times you rise to oppose me, nothing will change! The negative emotions under my control will swallow you whole!

*The Big Shooter moves into Kenji’s team.*

: Kenji, I’ve to get there too! We’ll fight together!
: Alright! We’ll show them how strong our spirits are!

And now we’re in the home stretch: wait a turn to recover your moves and throw everything you’ve left at Susano-o to kill him in one round!

Before we cue the music, here’s his two best attacks:

: Anger, hatred, evil… You actually think some piece of crap made outta that can take us down?!
: Eat this, monster: the power of a positive middle-schooler!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNxQGwX7PEM

: If you’re taking strength from all hatred in the universe, then we’ll take ours from the trust we feel in each other!
: And the Voltes will not be beaten while those feelings hold steady!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGz2Uuw3Bvk

And now we go!

:siren: Stormbringer is 100% uncut hotblood and you should listen to it!
:siren:

: You might have all the hatred in the universe inside you, but we’re not letting that break us!
: There isn’t anything we can’t wreck by bringing our hearts together!

: I feel them… Ikima, Mimashi and Amaso are inside this monster!
: We’re overflowing with power…! Power with which to fight in Her Majesty’s name!
: And with it, nothing can stop us! Even Jeeg’s just another worm!
: Hiroshi Shiba! This is where your life comes to an end!
: Hmph… I’ll admit that you’re persistent, if nothing else. Come on, then! I’ll send you to where you belong!

We’ll see the Jeeg Panzeroid later, when I can kill with it – I was too scared of its EN cost to use it on a mook!

: Gotta fight a vengeful ghost, huh? Well, the theater taught me exactly how to deal with these!
: Monsters in the wings - Your approach will end in tears - Just as fallen leaves - Crumble to motes of dust - So too will you disappear!

: Ichitaka, that monster’s what the Jama Kingdom used the Great Bronze Bell for! It’s pretty much the ace up their sleeve!
: Meaning, if we kick its rear end, they’ll have zip left!

: I can’t let this blob of bad juju, or whatever it is, scare me..! My big sis left Earth and Nagisa-1 in my care!

: Himika… you’ve taken full control of the Great Bronze Bell’s power…?!
: But we know of a power that’s a lot greater than that!
: That’s right, Tsubaki! And that’s how we can stand up to this overwhelming evil without any hesitation!

--

: I’ve no idea how much hate you got inside, but it doesn’t matter ‘cause all of it’s about to go up in smoke!
: It’s useless! The malice within humans is endless… The more you struggle, the more negative emotions you’ll birth! You’d best accept this fact!
: Pfft, you ain’t scaring me with that! We got the Priestess of the Bronze Bells on our side! So your Ghost of Baddies Past here is about to get a one-stop ticket back to Hell!

: Oh, YEAH! We got ‘im! How’dya like them apples, Himika?!
: Hrrrmm! This isn’t over yet! IT IS NOT OVER!!
: What is she doing…?!
: Susano-o! Feast upon the malice that pervades this world! Take in all that evil will!

: GWOOOOOOOOOOH!
: What?!
: How the… Is that thing immortal?!
: The Susano-o is an embodiment of malice and hatred! So long as those exist within the hearts of men, it will endure!
: You might’ve gathered up all those emotions, but your plans’ll still fall through!
: Idiocy! Whatever ideas you lot might have, hatred shall always be the mightiest force of all!
: You’re wrong! It is our heart, the love we feel for one another, that’s made humans who they are! It’ll never be beaten by malice!
: And now you’ll see the power of that human heart! Let’s go, Kenji!
: Yeah!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsaDxdW_lyY

: Th-That was!
: He looked like a proper God of Steel! The Steel God Jeeg!
: W-Wooooow…!
: How did you muster such power, brat…?!
: Because I’m not alone – I surrounded by people I love, and who love me! Let’s get in there, Tsubaki!
: Yeah!

: Good luck, Kenji, Tsubaki…

: Not once did I expect you to make it so far! But now my patience has run out! DIE!!

*BOOM!*

: Gaaah!
: Aaaah!

*Beep!*

: Kenji, do you hear me?! Pool yours and Tsubaki’s strength together again!
: Kyo? Okay…!

: Wh-What the…?! This sword just showed up outta thin air…!
: It is Sakahoko, the blade of the soul! Only an heir to a Bronze Bell may have it!
: “Blade of the soul”?!
: Kenji, Tsubaki! Let your heart unleash its power and seal away both Himika and the Great Bronze Bell!
: You wouldn’t dare! If you do so while inside the Great Bronze Bell, you shall be sealed away yourselves!
: Ahahaha! This is it, Himika! That’s game over for you!
: What…?!
: I ain’t got a problem with getting sealed away! What about you, Tsubaki?
: Same! I came here ready to carry out my duty!
: Your words ring hollow! Could you truly sacrifice yourselves so readily?!
: Hell, yeah, we can! Grab my hand, Tsubaki! We’ll show her what our hearts are all about!
: Okay! Let’s unleash Sakahoko’s power!

: Wh-Why…?! How can you give up on your own lives…?!
: Because there’re a whole lot more emotions in a human heart than just anger and hatred!
: There’s also so much kindness, friendship and love! Those are always there, even when they’ve no reason to be!
: Hrk…! It’s inconceivable that anger and hatred would be bested by such nonsense…!
: The hell do we care about what you think?! Time to end this, Tsubaki!
: … We’ll see each other again, right, Kenji?
: Yeah! Absolutely!
: Okay!
: Oh, lost soul! Sleep here forever!

: This cannot be happening! I cannot be defeated by something as feeble as the heart! GRWAAAAAAAAAARGH!!

*Back outside…*

: Kenji! Tsubaki!
: They…!
: Did they do it…?!

: The Great Bronze Bell’s signal has completely vanished! It’s been sealed away successfully!
: What about Kenji and Tsubaki?! I don’t see them on my sensors!
: There’s… no sign of them.
: No…! Kenji, Tsubaki, Kyo…!
: Are they... not coming back?

*Bloop.*

: What…?!
: We’ve a ping on radar! It’s the Raikouba!

: Kenji! Tsubaki! You’re safe!
: Yup! Made it by the skin of our teeth!
: Welcome back, all of you. And very well done!
: The threat of the Jama Kingdom is now finally over. Let’s head home – to Earth!
: Sure thing! But… you mind giving us a minute before that?
: A minute?
: I just wanna take a look at the stars with Tsubaki before we head back. That cool with you?
: Kenji…
: Go for it, I’ll tell the captains. This peaceful night sky is only here because you’ve made it real.

: We made this night sky real, huh…?
: Through our hearts and all that we feel for our friends… and one another…
: What say you? Wanna fly around a bit?
: Sure… and do you think we could take our time heading back…?
: … Yeah, that’d be just fine.

*Vrooom!*

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 15, 2017

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Brunom1 posted:

:siren: Stormbringer is 100% uncut hotblood and you should listen to it! :siren:

:hellyeah:

Not much to say here, this is a really straight forward stage. They try and mix it up by having Kenji go berserk, but it kinda comes out of nowhere and gets resolved just as quickly as it's introduced. Goh did it slightly better by being built up to in advance.

Out of curiosity, have we reached a point where you'll need to start benching units yet? Or are there still enough deployment slots for pretty much everybody?

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Alacron posted:

:hellyeah:

Not much to say here, this is a really straight forward stage. They try and mix it up by having Kenji go berserk, but it kinda comes out of nowhere and gets resolved just as quickly as it's introduced. Goh did it slightly better by being built up to in advance.

Out of curiosity, have we reached a point where you'll need to start benching units yet? Or are there still enough deployment slots for pretty much everybody?

To be fair, it was just as sudden in the series. I suppose getting really pissed off when fighting a monster made out of concentrated hatred and anger can only end with either one absorbing the other.

And I've already been benching a couple of people (Sayaka), but the game is pretty generous with slots - usually I get about a full 18 squads, which is huge. That said, with the addition of Hiroshi, Micchi, Lou and Ken, as well as Shizuru and Goh's return, things ARE starting to tighten up: next mission allows only 16 squads, so some folks won't make it in.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Man, I should really watch Kotetsushin Jeeg again.

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017

Brunom1 posted:

And here’s Classic Jeeg’s Mach Drills, complete with Micchi showing that she’s nowhere as hotblooded as Tsubaki when shooting parts.[/i]

Well to be fair, there's only so much physical action you can shove into pressing a tiny button with your thumb when compared to having to shove a lever all the way forward.

And someone correct me if I'm wrong as I've never watched the original Jeeg. But is the deal with Himika and co being aliens a retcon? Given all the talk about hell, cursed souls, collecting hatred and anger to literally form your mightiest hellbeast etc. They feel more like some kind of demons than aliens.

Also, while Jeeg's final form looks gorgeous, I prefer old Jeeg when it comes to their respective Centaur-forms. New Jeeg is placed so far back it just looks unbalanced. He has to reach all the way over his alien tiger-buddy in order to stab someone.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Jeeg seems like a good show.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, you know? You'd think with all these shows taking place out in space that more people would be taking the time to stargaze.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Let's see. Kenji and Tsubaki are the only ones stated to have escaped the hell dimension.

Sucks to be Baruba. Is there a special hell for people who "test" their allies by attacking them? :v: (I kid, he's a good robot kitty)

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Jeeg seems like a good show.

:yeah:

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Got a new update coming soon, but it's a big one. Can we get like 7+ posts to push us into a new page?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Whatd'ya think I'm made of posts?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Boy I sure am in the mood for some Evangelion, it would be great if we could get a certain red-headed pilot to join soon.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

GimmickMan posted:

Boy I sure am in the mood for some Evangelion, it would be great if we could get a certain red-headed pilot to join soon.

im not with how straight they play it

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!
Did someone say post

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Let's move on.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I can't dislike Iczer-3 because she's killing giant robots with flying elbows. Does she hang out with Andy Bogard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

And one more to get us there.

• Locked thread