Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

SO DEMANDING posted:

can someone please loving explain to me why web browsers need to have their own font rendering

there is this thing called an operating system which is generally capable of rendering text and graphics on its own!!!

because if you wanna have a javascript web app monstrosity with tons of stuff constantly changing size/appearing/disappearing/whatever you need a dedicated rendering engine to get halfway decent performance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Mr.Radar posted:

current state of webrender:

still better than edge

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

SO DEMANDING posted:

can someone please loving explain to me why web browsers need to have their own font rendering

there is this thing called an operating system which is generally capable of rendering text and graphics on its own!!!

Probably because the OS is unaware of OpenType and advanced type features, the OS interface by default is not GPU accelerated which is why DirectText was born on Windows.

Browsers are a mess themselves, Canvas doesn't support OpenType for example. Also, I render in JavaScript because of that.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Mr.Radar posted:

current state of webrender:

so webrender is Linux fonts?

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
tried out the new firefox screenshot feature, turns out they automatically upload screenshots to their cloud without permission, great job mozilla upholder of privacy

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

reading up on the "quantum" rendering projects im curious what kind of gpu they will require

apparently their low-end target is sandy bridge-era intel "hd" graphics which means every intel gpu since 2011 and every real gpu since around 2007 should be good.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 26, 2018

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

SO DEMANDING posted:

sometimes it leverages the native engine so idk why it doesnt always

NEED MORE MILK posted:

because if you wanna have a javascript web app monstrosity with tons of stuff constantly changing size/appearing/disappearing/whatever you need a dedicated rendering engine to get halfway decent performance

oh lol

LinYutang posted:

tried out the new firefox screenshot feature, turns out they automatically upload screenshots to their cloud without permission, great job mozilla upholder of privacy

yeah this was a dumb choice and made it useless for internal work screens :ughh:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i think it's good that firefox is made by a nonprofit but it's a pretty bad look when you're doing partnerships with hollywood tv shows vs like spending a few Ks to run boots-on-the-ground regular-person user trainings about computer privacy. i don't have the experience to say this ofc but mozilla could really build a genuine social movement if they care to

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i think it's good that firefox is made by a nonprofit but it's a pretty bad look when you're doing partnerships with hollywood tv shows vs like spending a few Ks to run boots-on-the-ground regular-person user trainings about computer privacy. i don't have the experience to say this ofc but mozilla could really build a genuine social movement if they care to

[ron Howard voice] they don’t

a nonprofit corporation is still a corporation my dude. the privacy poo poo is all calculated lip service to get a few people at the top a few more cents

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

look at this garbage

and if i highlight it, it looks like this

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

look at this garbage

that happened to me in 52 ESR

i switched to vivaldi and i'm much happier with vivaldi's quirks and warts over firefox's

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

MrMoo posted:

Probably because the OS is unaware of OpenType and advanced type features, the OS interface by default is not GPU accelerated which is why DirectText was born on Windows.

Browsers are a mess themselves, Canvas doesn't support OpenType for example. Also, I render in JavaScript because of that.

Doesn't every OS now for some time have highly developed font rendering engines? CoreText on Mac, DirectText on Windows, Inconsolata on Linux. Just use those.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

emoji posted:

Doesn't every OS now for some time have highly developed font rendering engines? CoreText on Mac, DirectText on Windows, Inconsolata on Linux. Just use those.

I see what you did there

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

SO DEMANDING posted:

because windows' font code is in the kernel

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

atomicthumbs posted:

because windows' font code is in the kernel

does that mean windows can crash with a kerning panic?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
remember the hacking team leak when they had a whole category of just "font bugs"? that's how bad kernel font rendering is

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

remember the hacking team leak when they had a whole category of just "font bugs"? that's how bad kernel font rendering is

sounds like a font of stupidity OP

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

sounds like a font of stupidity OP

fine, i'll boo you since you want to be booed so much.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i use ff because it is the only browser that scrolls tabs instead of making them infinitely small. it could render fonts like in the nightly and i wouldn't give a poo poo because who even reads poo poo on the internet? lol nerds

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Lutha Mahtin posted:

mozilla is a for-profit corporation

it's a wholly owned subsidiary of a not-for-profit, but it is deliberately structured with a for-profit component so that they can be motherfuckers with little or no public scrutiny

this also has hilariously bad tax implications, but, who cares, it's just money right?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

firefox on android is one of the few pleasant experiences with stupidly being back on android

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lol. so firefox just randomly disables ublock now.

it shows it's enabled in add-ons, but the icon is missing and there's no adblocking.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

infernal machines posted:

it shows it's enabled in add-ons, but the icon is missing and there's no adblocking.

we discussed this earlier, it's because firefox quantum is too fast

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i think it's a broader defect because I had the same thing happen to stylus and all my custom styles stopped working

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

its the only way i can make a few lovely corporate web apps work in not ie quirks mode :smith:

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

fire...fart?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

LinYutang posted:

what? i get a download button and a cloud button when i use it, are they just uploading it regardless of my selection?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

this happens every time i get an update to the ff beta

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this happens every time i get an update to the ff beta

it seems to happen when an update has downloaded, if i haven't restarted to install it

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ublock origin on safari still working like a champ

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

apparently it's just the goog :rolleyes: Roboto font that looks like poo poo

internet just says to replace it with another one/block goog fonts from downloading

it would be cool if google could actually complete something before thinking of progress and dying

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

HoboMan posted:

i use ff because it is the only browser that scrolls tabs instead of making them infinitely small. it could render fonts like in the nightly and i wouldn't give a poo poo because who even reads poo poo on the internet? lol nerds

? safari tabs don’t become infinitely small, on my screen they shrink to ~2.5cm.

Last Chance posted:

ublock origin on safari still working like a champ

same but 1blocker :retrogames:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
my firefox is doing that thing where it chokes up when a video starts playing

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sniep posted:

id have to guess that artistic people doing the css part of web design use fukken moon units that the os doesnt give a poo poo about

I can guarantee you the people developing the css standard are not "artists" by any definition of the word

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Silver Alicorn posted:

my firefox is doing that thing where it chokes up when a video starts playing
there's a really easy fix for this: works4me

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
my firefox has gotten a really good new feature: it has stopped loading the comments on youtube.

but also it won't load channel pages without a reload, that's less good.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
pleased to report chrome is working as expected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pram posted:

pleased to report chrome is working as expected

i.e. very poorly

poorer than ie, in fact