Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
A lot of critical animations in these games are a bit showy, but Ephraim is definitely the kind of guy to do that so it fits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
See also: Hector.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Hector would do all that, with the addition of making Oswin toss a couple of dolphins behind him so it looks like they're leaping and have Serra throw in a lens flare. And his class change would have been Sailor Moon-esque.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

bibliosabreur posted:

Yup! And to be fair, there's no real way he could've accounted for [PLOT TWIST]. Considering that he successfully raided the place and then broke contact, the worst that you could say about his raid was that it was a rash gamble that paid off. If it's stupid but it works, et cetera.

Ephraim successfully sussed out that Grado would hire the world's most incompetent mercenaries, where like, 20 of them cannot stand up to literally four guys inside of a giant castle.

That's like FireEmblem.txt though so it's understandable.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

LordHippoman posted:

Ephraim successfully sussed out that Grado would hire the world's most incompetent mercenaries, where like, 20 of them cannot stand up to literally four guys inside of a giant castle.

"My Lord, the scouts have returned from reconnoitering the keep!"

"Excellent! Tell me what you saw."

"They outnumber us by nearly three to one, sir."

"Hmm... Tricky, but tell me: were any of them even vaguely attractive by conventional standards?"

"None that I saw, sir. The keep is just bursting at the seams with utter cretins."

"All right, I think we've got a decent shot at this."

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

:colbert:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You know that old joke "the Simpsons did it"? Katie Tiedrich is that for Fire Emblem jokes.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Once more we must treasure Gonzales for being the exception to the rule.

Bless you, Gonzales, and all that you do.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

That and Ace Attorney jokes.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

That and Ace Attorney jokes.

Also Metal Gear.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

W.T. Fits posted:

Also Metal Gear.

Hiimdaisy has a lot of those, though.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Chapter 6: That Part With The Big Spider (Prep)

Before launching into the pre-chapter introduction, like usual, I want to address a quick little hint that might help people stuck on this next map. I would say it’s the hardest we’ve seen so far, and the most difficult of the game’s whole first “act”.

Shopping in Serafew on the World Map can snag you a “Torch” staff. These items are situational, but one of the best “situations” is coming in about...40 screenshots.

Pick one up if you’d like, and stick it on Moulder/Natasha.

Alright, on with the show. Let’s rejoin Eirika at the Adlas Plains.

Passing through Serafew, the group crosses into the Grado Empire. From here forward, there is no doubt that they are walking through hostile territory. In hopes of avoiding unnecessary trouble, Eirika and company head for a sparsely populated region of Grado. However, it is too late. Their movements are already being tracked.

Temporary Note: If you want me to add a sprite for the narrator, I can work something up, but I couldn’t decide on a fitting one for this game. Let me know if you’d prefer this or have an idea.

You have ascertained Eirika’s whereabouts, have you not?

I sent some of our men to follow the princess as she fled Serafew. They tell me Eirika and her friends will be coming this way shortly. Our ambush is ready and waiting. There’s no way they can escape.

I have literally never heard someone say this. Maybe I don’t have the slang down for the Fantasy World Of Magvel.

Very good… Won’t that wretched Valter be delighted. Now about this Princess Eirika… I hear she’s quite a handful. They say her paladin withstood Valter’s lance… Tell me, Novala, are you certain you can handle this assignment?

Don’t worry. Everything is under control. I’ve brought along a certain something from Renais. It will negate whatever futile resistance they offer. Ha ha ha…

Cackle Count: 1

Heh heh heh...Pray it goes as you say. Very well. Do what you must. I must return to the capital.

Cackle Count: 2

Will you not stay and see how Eirika looks in captivity?

Probably like normal Eirika but Slightly Angrier?

There’s no lost love between the goofily evil general trio.

I have much to do for our master. A mountain of tasks awaits me. My time is far too precious to waste on the likes of that royal whelp. Trifles such at these are best left in the hands of servants…such as you.

Y-yes, of course… Then...travel well.

You should have watched. You might have learned something. I will capture the princess, and I will replace you at our master’s side. You will stew in regret, and I will enjoy every moment.

Novala actually teleports in here, in a cool bit of detail.

As does his “something from Renais”.

Cackle Count: 3

Princess Eirika of Renais! Accept your fate. You have nowhere to flee!

: What?! Who are you? And where...where did you come from?

I suppose we should begin there. Would you surrender your lovely little trinket?

Seth slides into the screen while gasping, using his horse to be as melodramatic as possible.

My bracelet… Why do you want it?

His Majesty desires it. That’s reason enough. Once I present it to him, he will make me a general, and I will be famous. Come, hand it over. Do it quickly, and I’ll leave you alive.

I sort of like that Novala is clearly your standard sinister evil wizard, but he also just really wants to be famous.

Princess Eirika, you will do no such thing.

Of course not.

Obedience will save you pain. You came all this way to aid Prince Ephraim, have you not?

So, uh, maybe the whole “breaking to the east” thing didn’t go all that well.

My brother? You lie! A pitiful worm like you could never defeat my brother!

Bah. Protest all you like. It does not change the truth. Ephraim has lost, and it was Grado that defeated him!

…...

You’re not going to acquiesce, are you? Very well. Bring me the child.

This “Ah!” is a little more justified.

Look familiar? She’s a citizen of your precious Renais. Now give me the bracelet! Do it, or the child dies!

No, please…

Unfortunately Eirika didn’t set up any of her ranged friends to kill Novala before he could pull anything. Shame.

Princess, wait. That bracelet-

It’s not worth a child’s life. Forgive me, Seth.

Next, your weapons. Take them off and hand them over.

No. Surrendering our weapons would be tantamount to suicide. You demand too much of us.

I see years of peace and idleness have not dulled the wits of all Renais’s knights. Well then, my hostage has no more use to me, does she? Ah, such a waste. Wait a moment… I’ve just had a delicious idea.

Not only is this a good villainous moustache-twirling line, it also works as a great conversation starter for any of your real life social engagements. Try it out.

They’d appreciate a nice, hot meal, wouldn’t you agree?

You can’t!

: Nooo!

Ha ha! This will be a delight to watch! These fools will curse the day they were born to Renais!

Cackle Count: 4

Why...why would you...How can you do such a thing?

You curs of Renais have lost! Your idiotic ravings mean nothing…

Enough. Hold your tongue.

Wha...what?!

I…

Eirika has finally hit her breaking point, and it only took the most cartoonishly evil man in the world to push her there.

And you invaded without warning. You ravaged our land. You killed my father… Even then, I told myself, I must not hate Grado or her people. If I gave in to my hate, the bond between our lands would be lost forever. I refused to hate. Instead, I lived for the day our nations would know peace again. But… If this is Grado’s true face… If you could extinguish Renais without pity, without remorse…

Impudent girl! Do you expect your words to save your countrymen? They will not. Your beloved people will all die, as will you.

Novala warps to the other end of the map, and we can get some quick recon on what we might be facing in this cutscene…

Cackle Count: 5

If you must curse someone, curse your dear princess.

: Help, someone!

Cackle Count: 6+ (this might count as two or three)

The villagers are all warped into this little nook on the east end of the map. Imagine how many stave uses Novala’s goons are blowing on these theatrics.

: We’re going to be fine. Someone will rescue us.

: …..

And with that, the prep screen comes up, and we can survey the map!

But...where are all the enemies?

Well. gently caress. It’s a fog of war map.

There are a few key rules to fog of war in Fire Emblem.

1. Each unit has a vision radius decided by where they are standing at the start/end of their turn. This can be expanded through the use of the Torch item or staff.

2. This does not expand while moving, and if you bump into an enemy, that unit’s turn is immediately ended.

3. Fog of War does not affect the enemies at all. This is solely an obstacle for the player.

4. Everyone hates it.

Terrain is always visible, however, so we can see this Village already. There are two side-objectives on this map, one is this Village, and the other is protecting those Renais citizens from the incoming Spider.

The only problem with that is that they’re on the far eastern side of the map, surrounded by mountains. No matter what you do here, you need to do it fast. Note that they don’t have to survive to complete the map, but keeping all of these characters alive will net you a reward, and it’s one that’s very important if you want to use Neimi.

Here, by the way, are the stats of some Average Citizens in Fire Emblem. Yes, poor Lute is stuck with the same constitution as a literal child. She really needed to hit the gym more often in Mage School.

I’ll be honest, this map can be very trial and error-y. Because of that, I’m going to bring Seth in place of our highest level unit, Franz, because having an extra out is great in this of all chapters. Colm is also replacing Garcia, who is very high in level, because Thieves have extra vision range in the fog!

Some general tips for deployment here:

-Bring a healer and keep them safe.
-Bring Vanessa! She can Rescue the family, or fight the Spider, because she doesn’t give a poo poo about terrain. If you still have that Antitoxin, give it to her.
-Joshua and Colm are naturally dodgy, and there are a lot of axe-wielders hiding in the fog. Stick them on forests for some handy dodge-tank action.
-Using mages can be risky, especially fragile Lute. Keep that in mind.

But we’ll see how that all works out next time.

Bonus Content

Colm Is An Idiot (Moulder/Colm C Rank)

Colm, you dolt! Can’t you see what you’ve done!

Hey! That’s no way to be! I was trying to do you a favor here. It’s not my fault if I accidentally burned your package lighting my torch!

This support is Torch themed so I put it in this one.

That’s exactly what I’m talking about! You’re always so careless! My spare robes were in that bundle! Oh, and now look at them! They’ve been charred black!

goth moulder alt for heroes

Oops… Those were your clothes? Tch! That IS a shame. My mistake. I apologize.

This isn’t the first time this has happened, Colm! And it was my robes of office then, too! I’m starting to wonder if you have it in for my clothes!

Oh, no, no. Don’t be silly! And besides, only the bottom has been singed. Just trim it off and wear it short. See? Why, I’m sure you’ll set the world of fashion on fire with your new look!

That’s what you said last time about the sleeves.

Oh, er...Really? Ha ha ha! Well, sorry. I’m sorry. No, really. I deeply regret this.

This is a Very Good Quote.

You don’t look particularly sorry. You look rather pleased with yourself.

No, I’m sorry! Truly! Seriously!

If that’s the case, then you can just spend tonight reflecting upon what you’ve done.

Me? Are you kidding?

I want you to take some time to reflect on the consequences of your actions. Colm, I’m only doing this because I care. I care about the condition of your soul.

…You really know how to lay on a guilt trip, don’t you? Sigh. I’m in trouble now… Shoot!

Cipher Art

The Mercenary That Loves Gambling, Joshua

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 6, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

quote:

"Yeah, this is kinda scary, I guess... can we go home yet?"

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Your cackle count has two mistakes, which, hilariously enough, cancel each other, so I guess two wrongs do make a right. You missed the very first cackle, right before you started counting, and you also counted something that wasn't (count: 5), so you ended up at the right number by accident.

But this is FE, so having the numbers right is very, very important. Also, gently caress this map.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Bolding the narration works fine, no need to change it.

LordHippoman posted:

Hmph… Freakish old man.

Slight repetition.

quote:

Hmph… Freakish old man.

Slight repetition.

quote:

very important if you want to use Neimi.

So maybe you should stop benching her :argh: You have a perfectly good jeigan to warm that bench! :argh:

...I... "appreciate" intsys taking the time to make sure the male generic has more hp/str/con and the woman has more skill/res. Because it's The Law.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

"Yeah, this is kinda scary, I guess... can we go home yet?"

There's not even a blink on that sprite, that one's on the game.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Your cackle count has two mistakes, which, hilariously enough, cancel each other, so I guess two wrongs do make a right. You missed the very first cackle, right before you started counting, and you also counted something that wasn't (count: 5), so you ended up at the right number by accident.

But this is FE, so having the numbers right is very, very important. Also, gently caress this map.

I'm not counting "Heh heh heh" as a cackle, more of a dark giggle. #5 was absolutely non-cackley though, so I've fixed that.

vilkacis posted:

So maybe you should stop benching her :argh: You have a perfectly good jeigan to warm that bench! :argh:

He has been, until now, and I've gotta save somebody to show off leveling in the generic encounters. :colbert:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i'm gonna be unreasonably upset that you use the silver lance instead of selling it or saving it for when it's needed

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

vilkacis posted:

Slight repetition.

Slight repetition.

The entire transcription feels off. Does Bad Guy Wizard really go "curse your princess if you must" with no promoting from the villagers?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

Here, by the way, are the stats of some Average Citizens in Fire Emblem. Yes, poor Lute is stuck with the same constitution as a literal child. She really needed to hit the gym more often in Mage School.

Lute is precisely the kind of person who would min/max her stats if she could, dumping something she viewed as completely unnecessary for higher abilities elsewhere, so this seems fine to me. :v:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lord Koth posted:

Lute is precisely the kind of person who would min/max her stats if she could, dumping something she viewed as completely unnecessary for higher abilities elsewhere, so this seems fine to me. :v:

Considering how important Con is it is strange to view it as a dump stat.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Eirika, just stab the fucker after he reneges on his deal. He's a wizard and being a shaman, is also probably too slow to get away. The brute archetypes tend to just slog around, but it's laughable when this guy acts like he's got everything under control, yet he's just a squishy little slug. I also seriously wonder what Novala must look like to hide his face, if he's going to talk poo poo about Riev.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

i'm gonna be unreasonably upset that you use the silver lance instead of selling it or saving it for when it's needed

I will never claim to be good at this video game.

Xander77 posted:

The entire transcription feels off. Does Bad Guy Wizard really go "curse your princess if you must" with no promoting from the villagers?

I went back and checked, and yes. Novala just kinda teleports, screams that, teleports again, and then the father's only line is "......" The father also doesn't get any lines for surviving the chapter and the post-map conversation treats him like he doesn't exist. This whole map's script is a little bizarre.

Hunt11 posted:

Considering how important Con is it is strange to view it as a dump stat.

Lute probably also wrote a dissertation on why Con is worthless compared to Magic, in which the entire bibliography was a picture of her own face.

Shitenshi posted:

Eirika, just stab the fucker after he reneges on his deal. He's a wizard and being a shaman, is also probably too slow to get away.

I think the idea of the scene is that he has a knife to the girl's throat or something, but they can't portray it via portraits. Otherwise, since he's a Shaman, it just looks like a guy menacingly holding a book over a kid.

This game does a lot of expressive things with its portraits, but there's still a lot left to interpretation. It's not nearly as bad as the full fight scene in New Mystery expressed entirely through two unmoving portraits.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Everyone remember this?

What most of you didn't realize at the time was that Erika's entire army is made of superheroes - even base Ross.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

I think the idea of the scene is that he has a knife to the girl's throat or something, but they can't portray it via portraits.

Still counts I think. Normal wizards probably suck at using conventional weapons, but this slowbro takes it to a whole new level. Eirika could shank him or the little girl could make a getaway in the time it would take him to perform an actual execution.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Fun fact about Torches: Thieves can put them into their inventory and gain a boost to their vision without having to burn a charge of the Torch (as the effects of the extended thief vision and the Torch stack), giving Colm a massive range of vision in the fog of war.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

AradoBalanga posted:

Fun fact about Torches: Thieves can put them into their inventory and gain a boost to their vision without having to burn a charge of the Torch (as the effects of the extended thief vision and the Torch stack), giving Colm a massive range of vision in the fog of war.
:aaaaa:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

AradoBalanga posted:

No, they can't. Torches do stack with thief vision, but you absolutely have to use the torch.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Yeah that's bullshit

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

vilkacis posted:

No, they can't. Torches do stack with thief vision, but you absolutely have to use the torch.
Ah, my bad. But yes, Colm serves an extra purpose for this map as essentially mobile radar for finding enemies. Since IIRC, there are a few sneaky weapon loadouts to be aware of like the Fighter with the droppable Halberd (provided you can manipulate the AI to not equip it) to gently caress over anyone who thought to bumrush with Seth or Franz.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

The other fun thief trick is to scout on the preparations screen, moving the thief between possible starting positions in the formation to see what enemies are near you initially.

Having thieves use torches is definitely good (torches just add to the unit's natural vision range, and thieves get a bonus there), but you still need to actually use the torch.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

LordHippoman posted:

Terrain is always visible, however, so we can see this Village already.

Not if you're playing Thracia. :getin:

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I do still adore Thracia for what it tried to do, but the RNG there is just atrocious and hard to mitigate. Compared to that, I actually find the fog maps on there not nearly as much of an annoyance as they are in regular FEs.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Explain for those of us too lazy to look it up?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

In thracia map tiles in the fog of war are totally black. You dont even know if the tile you're trying to move into is movable terrain when its fogged.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
At least with Thracia fog of war you can totally warp your units into the fog :getin:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Wait, how does that work if you can't see the terrain? Can you just... warp people into walls?

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

vilkacis posted:

Wait, how does that work if you can't see the terrain? Can you just... warp people into walls?

It just won't let you if the cursor is over a wall (or other impassible terrain) but if it's over valid terrain it'll let you. Makes Salem a hell of a lot easier, I'll tell you that much.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

vilkacis posted:

Splortch. Dammit.

Reset.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
For all of Thracia's bullshit, at least Sety can nearly beat the endgame solo. Sacred Stones is easier overall, but you don't anybody as overpowered should you suffer from an absurd level of RNG hat and also lose strong units without resetting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Camel Pimp posted:

It just won't let you if the cursor is over a wall (or other impassible terrain) but if it's over valid terrain it'll let you. Makes Salem a hell of a lot easier, I'll tell you that much.

That seems like a totally obvious tactic in retrospect and I feel dumb for not doing it, especially since I warp-skip the map immediately after it :/. Saves charges on his sleep staff too which would be awesome since I'm certain Fin or Olwen could nearly guarentee the capture.

• Locked thread