Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Evil Mastermind posted:

At the risk of sounding like That Guy, will there be a digital option for black-text-on-white? Sometimes I have trouble with white text on black bothering my eyes.

oh, yes. I knew I was forgetting something

yeah the book will be in both the current format and the inverted format with black text on a white bg, I just didn't do that yet with this draft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

gnome7 posted:

oh, yes. I knew I was forgetting something

yeah the book will be in both the current format and the inverted format with black text on a white bg, I just didn't do that yet with this draft.

Much obliged!

GrayGriffin
Apr 30, 2017
The Poacher's "gain +2 Point when Negotiating with a captured enemy" effect seems to be a leftover from when Negotiation used rolls?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

GrayGriffin posted:

The Poacher's "gain +2 Point when Negotiating with a captured enemy" effect seems to be a leftover from when Negotiation used rolls?

Yes. Yes it is. I will ponder on a replacement ability for the next draft release

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Got my Book 4 in the mail, drat is it a beast!

Anyways, congratulations on finishing up Fellowship 2nd Ed, Gnome. It's a great game!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

That's a roll with hope to finish them ):

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
if there's anything I've learned is that permanently having Hope only increased loving up finish thems

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Len posted:

That's a roll with hope to finish them ):

:roflolmao:
It's only funny because it happened to someone else this time!

My new softcovers from Drivethru for books 1-3 came in, still waiting on the coupon for book 4 before I grab a copy of that. The itch.io code for that never did show up, even after emailing itch.io about it. Oh well, I've got the PDF on Drivethru, and I'll get it on itch to unify that account eventually!

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Agent Rush posted:

:roflolmao:
It's only funny because it happened to someone else this time!

My new softcovers from Drivethru for books 1-3 came in, still waiting on the coupon for book 4 before I grab a copy of that. The itch.io code for that never did show up, even after emailing itch.io about it. Oh well, I've got the PDF on Drivethru, and I'll get it on itch to unify that account eventually!

I absolutely sent out the coupons for book 4 already! Please check your KS messages.

If you don't have it for some reason, message me there and I will fix that asap.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
When NPCs do things, who should be rolling that? I'm specifically referring to the Lantern's "Reveal the Way" letting the lantern grant Hope to other characters when they listen to you. Or am I fundamentally misunderstanding how npcs interact with hope and despair?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
When a player is a Threat to the World, do non-tttw enemies also have to pay a price if they attack the player?

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Countblanc posted:

When NPCs do things, who should be rolling that? I'm specifically referring to the Lantern's "Reveal the Way" letting the lantern grant Hope to other characters when they listen to you. Or am I fundamentally misunderstanding how npcs interact with hope and despair?

IIRC NPCs with hope will succeed at what they try to do and NPCs with despair will fail.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Countblanc posted:

Ash Rose is correct. Npcs with Hope always succeed at what they try to do, and NPCs with Despair will always fail at anything they attempt. Companions in Despair also cannot be used.

Farg posted:

When a player is a Threat to the World, do non-tttw enemies also have to pay a price if they attack the player?

Yes, they do. NPCs can be forced to pay a price, too, and follow all the usual rules for doing so.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

gnome7 posted:

I absolutely sent out the coupons for book 4 already! Please check your KS messages.

If you don't have it for some reason, message me there and I will fix that asap.

Really? I got the PDF Drivethru link, but never saw links for physical books of book 4. Between this and the missing Itch.io key, apparently some force out there just doesn't want me to have Generous Fellowship! Too bad for them, I got it from the Kickstarter update the day you posted that update haha!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
How exactly does Damaging non-npc threats work? As an example, the Treacherous Mountain setpiece starts with the Finding the Mountain Pass stat, which says "when you damage this stat, you find the pass".

My assumption would be based on the name and description that you "damage" it by scouting the area, asking the locals for info, performing a magical ritual, etc., but it's the specific use of the word "damage" that confuses me because the only basic/special move the fellowship has access to which deals Damage is Finish Them, and none of the listed uses of that move seem appropriate extensions of those character actions. I understand that Damage isn't necessarily violence here but I'm still a bit confused how players would inflict Damage in a way that makes sense for finding a path. Are there other moves that deal damage that im just missing? Or can the fellowship deal damage to stuff even if the move doesn't specify that it deals damage?

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Countblanc posted:

How exactly does Damaging non-npc threats work? As an example, the Treacherous Mountain setpiece starts with the Finding the Mountain Pass stat, which says "when you damage this stat, you find the pass".

My assumption would be based on the name and description that you "damage" it by scouting the area, asking the locals for info, performing a magical ritual, etc., but it's the specific use of the word "damage" that confuses me because the only basic/special move the fellowship has access to which deals Damage is Finish Them, and none of the listed uses of that move seem appropriate extensions of those character actions. I understand that Damage isn't necessarily violence here but I'm still a bit confused how players would inflict Damage in a way that makes sense for finding a path. Are there other moves that deal damage that im just missing? Or can the fellowship deal damage to stuff even if the move doesn't specify that it deals damage?

Oh, that's a good question! I'm pretty sure it works the way you described like scouting the area etc., the use of the word Damage is because in Fellowship Damaged Threats essentially don't exist.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I think one of the GM moves is 'deal damage' which can explicitly be applied to NPCs and other threats when you feel its it's appropriate.

So I guess it works like... when you feel like they've done enough to solve this problem, you use that move and damage the threat.

(Phoneposting so I can't check the book for exact details.)

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Countblanc posted:

This was a design concept that I kinda moved away from in later set piece design, because it is kind of confusing! Basically, set pieces move on to new parts when you damage them, and with some of the earlier ones, I emphasized the 'moving on' part more than the 'dealt damage' part. And as mentioned by potatocubed, two of the Overlord principles (begin and end with the fiction, and make a cut that follows) tell you to deal damage to things when it makes sense for that to become damaged. If they find the path, damage the stat that's all about delaying them until they find the path.

But although this answers the problem, again, its kind of unclear and a little unintuitive, so I stopped writing set pieces this way. But I did minimal editing of the reprinted set pieces in book 4, so that design survived on.

So to answer the two specific questions, the damage dealing move you are missing is the Overlord Cut "deal damage," and yes the fellowship can damage things even when using moves that do not specifically deal damage - but only if the Overlord player feels like it, because they have to use the deal damage Cut to make that happen.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
That makes sense, thank you all.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
I was looking over some moves for my Outlander in a new Fellowship game I'm in, and came to a question:

If I use my "take a move from another basic playbook" move to get the Collector's Fully Armed, how does that interact with Just Add Duct Tape?

Fully Armed gives you all the weapons listed in your gear, which the Outlander has three of. Does that give you an extra two replacement options for a total of 12 Gear (6 Outlander, 6 Replacements), or just the extra two weapons for a total of 10 Gear (6 Outlander, 4 Replacements)?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Agent Rush posted:

I was looking over some moves for my Outlander in a new Fellowship game I'm in, and came to a question:

If I use my "take a move from another basic playbook" move to get the Collector's Fully Armed, how does that interact with Just Add Duct Tape?

Fully Armed gives you all the weapons listed in your gear, which the Outlander has three of. Does that give you an extra two replacement options for a total of 12 Gear (6 Outlander, 6 Replacements), or just the extra two weapons for a total of 10 Gear (6 Outlander, 4 Replacements)?

The latter, 6 Outlander and 4 Replacements. The replacements have a hard limit of 4.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

gnome7 posted:

The latter, 6 Outlander and 4 Replacements. The replacements have a hard limit of 4.

Ok, thanks!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'm a few sessions into my new game and i feel like Bonds haven't come up as much as I was assuming, and my players have expressed the same. I've read the sections on bonds and their related moves a few times now so I think I understand how they work on a mechanical level, but the game seems to give a lot of significance to them that we've had trouble using in practice. Are they more of a chronicle, a way to remember Cool Stuff That Happened?

I know a handful of playbooks have extra tools keying off bonds like the Spy and Squire, but beyond that I'm at a loss how I should be using player bonds, specifically intra-fellowship ones.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
They are a resource that the villain can attack and a great way for people to get hope, but they don’t evolve very much between characters once you get to three each.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
My signed hardcopies of the Fellowship books came in today, they're quite nice looking books!

Kind of wild that we're both dealing with name stuff though, haha. :v:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Is there advice for switching from The Horizon to The Overlord? One of my players has shifted my plans with some particularly fantastic spout lores

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Len posted:

Is there advice for switching from The Horizon to The Overlord? One of my players has shifted my plans with some particularly fantastic spout lores

I'm not Gnome, but:

The Overlord Framework (generally) presupposes that the characters' peoples were all living in some sort of equilibrium and then the Overlord struck, disrupting everything. The game starts with the fellowship already forged and on their way to get rid of the big bad.

Generate your Overlord in session, up front, with player feedback. Make sure everyone knows that they may be retconning parts of their character histories, especially when the Overlord forges its initial bonds with them. You might brainstorm some ideas on how their people back home are becoming embroiled in the fracas, just to make sure everyone knows their own personal stake in the thing.

Depending on how long the Horizon campaign's been going on, I'd just change existing Locations to communities imperiled by the Overlord. Maybe the Overlord is gobbling them up, one by one, Pac-Man style, trailing back toward the homeland. That gives you a nice ticking clock.

The Overlord Framework also unlocks some Destiny Playbooks, so let the players know that. If you have a Spy in the party, make sure they change their options.

I'm sure there's more I haven't thought of, but that should get you started.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Thankfully this was only session 4 and our second location.

One of my players is dwarf Booster Gold, sent back to the past with the ultimate goal of stopping the rise of the Dread Emperor before he can steal the moons. More lore had been spouted about this guy and I want to put him front and center as a villain for everyone to work towards.

I started laying groundwork this past session. The players rolled up to the port and their captain told them to wait with the ship while he went to meet a man. Hijinks and shenanigans ensue and they're drug before a gang boss who sent them after a MacGuffin that lets it's owner control the weight of objects. The party secured it and upon return find the lair sacked with the boss dead and the captain severely wounded.

The plan is to have a mini session be them returning to their home port, getting attacked by the Dread Pirate on the way, and losing the MacGuffin. When they stagger back to port they'll be given a new quest to put a stop to the guy and we'll pivot to hunting down him before he can amass his fleet and steal the moons.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

I've finally, finally convinced my group to play Fellowship. We've got a gun-toting dwarf, a cannon-toting orc noble, a snowy rain, and a dusty remnant trying to stave off a very angry fairy king. We did character creation tonight and I'm very excited. :)

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
I ALSO just started a Fellowship campaign.

We have a peppy apocalypse-priestess Harbinger, a loyal Squire taking care of her zombified knight, a self-mutilating warrior Mer (Elf) and his steadfast squid companion, a daring Dwarf brewmaster in a suit of steel armor, a great Myconid (Orc) warrior who helped defeat the Overlord long ago, and a bubbly but possibly-mad Halfling who swears no one will ever suffer again.

The Overlord is a particularly clever orc warlord with an enchanted crown (that actually hosts a great demonic force that is warring with the will of its perfect magical construction, the orc warlord himself). He has already brought one of the old kingdoms to its knees and has a horde of orcs directly subordinate to himself, known as the Doomguard. I'm the Overlord. Hi!

I need to review my PCs to see what I can challenge them with and how to best set the game up, but I know not to plan too much. I understand you want the Orc to only do combat when it would be really awesome for them to do so, otherwise they overshadow everyone every time? Any other things a first-time Overlord ought to know?

Also, is there a good playbook for guest characters and others who may pop in and out? I have a friend who lives out of town but she comes over every now and again, so she'll be around sometimes and would love to play.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

If they're going to be appearing less than the others, perhaps a Powerful playbook like the Giant?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

My group is finally getting ready, so I bought the books and am starting to go more in-depth. I'm wondering if this is a contradiction, and if so, which is correct, or if there's context I'm not getting:

Page 29 of the core book says explicitly, "You cannot share a Move from a Destiny playbook or from a Powerful playbook." But when page 39 defines Powerful playbooks, it also says explicitly, "Powerful Playbook Moves can be Shared as normal."

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

disaster pastor posted:

My group is finally getting ready, so I bought the books and am starting to go more in-depth. I'm wondering if this is a contradiction, and if so, which is correct, or if there's context I'm not getting:

Page 29 of the core book says explicitly, "You cannot share a Move from a Destiny playbook or from a Powerful playbook." But when page 39 defines Powerful playbooks, it also says explicitly, "Powerful Playbook Moves can be Shared as normal."

I am... not sure exactly why page 39 says that. I went to look at the context and I was clear in the sentence before it that you cannot take Powerful moves with options telling you to take a move from a Basic playbook.

The most accurate way I could've worded that would be something like "Powerful playbook Moves cannot be shared normally. They can only be shared when given explicit permission to do so." There are a couple ways to share a Powerful playbook move but they are few and far between.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

gnome7 posted:

I am... not sure exactly why page 39 says that. I went to look at the context and I was clear in the sentence before it that you cannot take Powerful moves with options telling you to take a move from a Basic playbook.

The most accurate way I could've worded that would be something like "Powerful playbook Moves cannot be shared normally. They can only be shared when given explicit permission to do so." There are a couple ways to share a Powerful playbook move but they are few and far between.

Got it, I think. Thank you very much!

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Last session a situation with the Lantern's Speak Clearly came up. Since you use the Speak Softly move to activate it and can give a command instead of asking a question, on a 7-9 can the Overlord use the "refuse to answer or reveal a terrible truth" result on the command you give?

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
Ran our first Fellowship session Sunday! Decided to get away from the problematic racial coding of my original idea, which was the Overlord having an orc - as in green skin and the whole thing - army. I decided instead he just violently mutates any lifeforms near him, but his personal army - the Doomguard - are all orcs. The PCs delivered a cure for a simple plague that was easily settled, but could be lethal if untreated, boogie'd down with the village, then set off - swaying the minds of two mutant road-wardens but not yet turning their hearts. Still, at the siege of Argak Eegowai, the two orcs will remember them. The Overlord, however, mutated a new general and placed him in charge of the siege along with an army of mutants and undead.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Heliotrope posted:

Last session a situation with the Lantern's Speak Clearly came up. Since you use the Speak Softly move to activate it and can give a command instead of asking a question, on a 7-9 can the Overlord use the "refuse to answer or reveal a terrible truth" result on the command you give?

The Overlord can do just that, yes.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Hey, this just came up: for the You Have Changed advancement, can you take that when you go from Level 4 to 5, or do you have to be going from 5 to 6?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Agent Rush posted:

Hey, this just came up: for the You Have Changed advancement, can you take that when you go from Level 4 to 5, or do you have to be going from 5 to 6?

You increase your level before making your choice, so you can take it as soon as you reach level 5. So, the former.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Do you count as having your own people's Fellowship? I'm playing a Dragon who reached level 5 and I'm thinking of taking the Final Form destiny. We don't have any fellowship with Dragons though - would I still be able to take it?