Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Ogier is turning out so well. I just hope his plot promotion doesn't screw him over... :ohdear:
I was going to say "wow, Elen looks as bad as my Amelia" but at least Elen has proper speed for a thief :(

Shei-kun posted:

Look, at least that Myrrh is viable as a nuclear option.

The "oh goddammit not again" is more for the fact that she has 0% Defense and HP again, same as the last run. She'd be fantastic if not for that.

e: very late, but FE6 update on the previous page!

Wes Warhammer fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Oh yeah, no, she's as durable as a wet paper bag.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

FE8: At some point you just have to accept that your units will only get more fragile. Next time, you may get a negative defense growth!

FE6: I always knew that chin was magical, but it's good to have confirmation.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Dual-wielding nidhoggs :mmmhmm:

loving :lol: Caellach the 7 spd swordmaster :suicide:

And of course Valter is covered in blood.

That is a mighty chin indeed.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Adventures in Yune: every weapon has either 1 or 99 uses and i realize i misinterpreted how variance functioned. Eirika having 50+ crit immediately is pretty funny. i think all my 99 use weapons fell to 33/99 at some point? no way i've already used that many

Eirecruitka is cute

also i realize 0.8 is not the latest version of Yune

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018

Nihilarian posted:

i think all my 99 use weapons fell to 33/99 at some point? no way i've already used that many

That's a thing with GBAFE; If something has more than...60 uses, I believe? It'll lose 60 uses on reset.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Hey, folks. It's me, from the Path of Radiance attempt.

I'm not dead, but the run is. While I was away, I accidentally deleted some key files because I don't normally do LPs and wasn't organized about it.

Sorry everyone. Looking forward to catching up on the thread though. If the bug bites me again I might start a new run of my own.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

Sorites posted:

Hey, folks. It's me, from the Path of Radiance attempt.

I'm not dead, but the run is. While I was away, I accidentally deleted some key files because I don't normally do LPs and wasn't organized about it.

Sorry everyone. Looking forward to catching up on the thread though. If the bug bites me again I might start a new run of my own.

It happens! If you do pick it up again I'll be looking forward to it.

Hope you're feeling better, by the way! :)

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
Hello folks. I've been meaning to do another LP in quite some time, and what better game for this than a messy randomized version of an already difficult game?

Turns out there is a Thracia 776 randomizer! It's not Yune and, while it's still a work-in-progress, it's more than good enough for a run or two, and FE5 can get pretty insane with randomization. If you try it out and have bugs or issues to report, dDShockTrooper, the developper, has a room for it on the Project Exile Discord server (and I'm assuming other locations, but that's where I go, anyways).

Oh, speaking of, I should mention that I'll be using the newer translation patch, called Project Exile. I helped work on that as lead editor actually! So I might chime in about a cool line or detail here and there. I'm not gonna go through all the text though. You can try it out yourself (or read our PDF collection of scripts) if you're interested!

But enough about me. Here are the settings I'll be using for this:

- Random Classes and Bases for everyone! Bases stay between Stat*0.5 and Stat*1.5, and Str/Mag matches classes means that bases and growths make sure any character will use the higher growth/base as their predominant damage stat.
- Number of skills and Leadership stars can go from 0 to 3, regardless of the character's original loadout. Same with Movement stars and PCC/FCM, but it's between 0 and 5.
- Full Item randomization! Inventories, events and shops are randomized, and the Preparations vendor now carries more necessities (Fire, Heal, Door Keys, and Master Seals).
- Vision in fog of war maps is randomized between 2 and 5, and there's a 25% chance that a fogless map will have fog, or a foggy map will be cleared. Fun!
- Scroll bonuses are always weirdly low, so I made their range and variance super high. In practice, they all kinda hover between -/+ 20%.

What I'm not doing and why:

- No randomized growths, promotions and weapon stats, because I like telling at a glance if a character is good, or if a weapon will kill me.
- No class-wide randomizations, since, from experience, all it does in practice is restrict your pool of usable classes.
- No Skills, Movement stars or PCC/FCM on Generics because generics come in bulk, and it only takes one bad RN pull to face a full troupe of Astra Vantage Berserkers.
- No Leadership Stars on units with zero stars, because otherwise, if I enable “Generics” it means I'm out-leadershipped by a landslide, and if I don't, then I'm always out-leadershipping the enemy and that's no fun either way.
- The Extra Option for Generics will basically break all the AI in the game, which is a whole lot of fun chaos, but probably too much for this LP.

Now with that out of the way, let's jump right in:

Chapter 1: The Brigands of Fiana
Chapter 2: The Magical Village
Chapter 2x: The Wizard Isles??
Chapter 3: Devil Great ft. the Bow Armors
Chapter 4: Darkest Dungeon
Chapter 4x: Asbel is a loving Lemming
Side-trip: Speedrunning Bishop
Chapter 5: Thievery
Chapter 6: Escape from the City
Chapter 7: Flyover Chapter
Chapter 8: And Then There Were None
Chapter 8x: Up All Night
Chapter 9: Power Limiters

Miacis fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 14, 2019

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh boy, Thracia. This should be a lot of fun.

The Magic Dancing Marty Party already makes this run absolutely amazing.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

drat, two dancers and boots in the first chapter? :stare:

Also that Sol gif is hilarious, I had no idea that could happen. It's like the opposite of magic Devil weapons in FE8, where you see "NO DAMAGE!" pop up and then your character just disappears without a word.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
oh god that fog of war setting looks hideous, why would anyone do that

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

32: The One Where Ephraim Finds a Horse

Not pictured: The absolute worst applications of Warp you'll ever see.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
Kyle was made for this glorious, broken weapon. :allears:

I think the Mag stat in the status screen is based on the last attack type that character used, and will revert back to Str if you have her use swords for a bit. The weapon rank page in vanilla FE8 does that too, if you have a character switch between weapon types. But in memory, they're the same value and are treated the same, no matter the displayed name.

Also, here's an update:

Thracia 776 — Chapter 2: The Magical Village

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

They have the power to break into cutscenes

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

This is such a pretty background, wow. Never seen it before. Of course, the GBA games also had river backgrounds but it's so rare to fight on one.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Ah ha ha, that next chapter preview.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

Miacis posted:

It's a Necronomicon. Nothing big. Just a bauble we had lyin' around.

:allears:

It's really interesting seeing these little insider bits into Project Exile, too!

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

pink mage! pink mage!

he's so pretty

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Minus Green posted:

Not pictured: The absolute worst applications of Warp you'll ever see.

I don't think I can play old Fire Emblems properly after Three Houses. Everything being renewable has me so used to just wasting stuff, I'll reactively Warp somebody one extra tile just to get a kill on a growth unit.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!

Thracia 776 — Chapter 2x: The Wizard Isles??

I have since recorded chapter 3, and have peeked into the Manster situation to prepare for it. I think I'm gonna need to drop the "wow, why are we facing mages here" shtick because man, magic truly is everything with this seed.

Miacis fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Aug 7, 2019

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

well this is already my jam

:stare:

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

Miacis posted:

Thracia 776 — Chapter 2x: The Wizard Isles??

I have since recorded chapter 3, and have peeked into the Manster situation to prepare for it. I think I'm gonna need to drop the "wow, why are we facing mages here" shtick because man, magic truly is everything with this seed.

That Shiva :stonk: It's a shame you can't have him right away, but I guess the game didn't want you having a fast axe user for Manster.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!

Thracia 776 — Chapter 3: Devil Great ft. the Bow Armors

Hopefully I'm not drowning the thread out with these updates. I kinda wanted to get the pre-Manster chapters out of the way.

Minus Green posted:

That Shiva :stonk: It's a shame you can't have him right away, but I guess the game didn't want you having a fast axe user for Manster.
At the very least, I have Safiya until then. It's weird though, I rarely ever use Shiva anymore, and he's looking like he's gonna be MVP along with Dagdar, now. Axe Heroes start with a C in swords, too, so it's gonna be glorious.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Miacis posted:

Hopefully I'm not drowning the thread out with these updates. I kinda wanted to get the pre-Manster chapters out of the way.

I'm enjoying them, so keep them up if you are inclined. I think most runners at this point are occupied with Three Houses.

Is there a way to replicate a randomization that didn't explicitly use a seed? Like does the spoiler file note the string of numbers it used to come up with something?

edit: I just discovered that if a mounted character gets the dance skill in FE5, then their map icon not only turns into a girl for the dance, it turns into two girls for the spin, and four heads for the jump.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Aug 11, 2019

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

quote:

Y̨͈͕̻̜ẹ̜̳̮̝s̤̺̞͕!̥̬̣ ͖̻̞̞S̨͕̻̻̟̖n͉͉̬͔̳̳͚a͙tç̟̝̲͕̜h̸̝̠͉͙̟ ̗̞͢ț̶̰h̸̜͎e͙̜̪͍͍͟m̥̫̭̤͓͚̯ ͕̹̠͉̘f͏̝̪͇r̛̗̠̗̼̦o̹m͜ ̫̲͙̝̰̰̹t̘̤͚̭̰̀h̩̟͖͍̠̘͘is҉̫͙̯ ̘͚͚̦̙̲̀p̢l͇̝͈̱a̛͖̻̬͈̩͕n͕͇͉̜̙̙̥e̠ ̤̝̭͙̙̦o͢f͍͕̫̕ͅ ̠̝̝̥͈̼̀e҉x͕͙̞i̳̺̟̞̺͇͇ś̪̘͔ͅt̨͉e̖nc̞͜e̴̙͎̠̹̞̦̫!

Do peg knights carry off their captures on criticals in the original FE5, or is that something that was hacked in? I don't remember that at all. :stare:

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

marshmallow creep posted:

edit: I just discovered that if a mounted character gets the dance skill in FE5, then their map icon not only turns into a girl for the dance, it turns into two girls for the spin, and four heads for the jump.

holy poo poo

also don't worry about drowning the thread, I think we're all enjoying it!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

You can't say that and not post a gif of it!

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!

Is there a way to replicate a randomization that didn't explicitly use a seed? Like does the spoiler file note the string of numbers it used to come up with something?
If you don't enter a seed yourself, the randomizer will generate its own seed by mashing a bunch of words together and put that in the "Seed" text field when you randomize. The default name it'll give to the rom will also be FE5 [seed].sfc. If you changed that name, then no, it's not written in the Spoilers file, sadly.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Do peg knights carry off their captures on criticals in the original FE5, or is that something that was hacked in? I don't remember that at all. :stare:
I really wish they did that! But no, that was just gif-editing magic. I'm not even sure how I'd manage to make that work ingame.

Blaze Dragon posted:

You can't say that and not post a gif of it!

Mounted units have a bit of a unique tiling situation, since their map sprites go over the 16*16px limitation of other classes, which I'm guess is what's causing this weird cloning stuff.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Miacis posted:

Mounted units have a bit of a unique tiling situation, since their map sprites go over the 16*16px limitation of other classes, which I'm guess is what's causing this weird cloning stuff.

what a beautiful avatar for someone

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

quote:

Somehow, he goes for a capture. With a Devil Axe. He can't even land a killing blow, so this is not the Thracian AI at its brightest. Maybe he was hoping for a crit.

Kudos to him for not hitting himself in the face, at least.

:allears:

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Minus Green posted:

Kudos to him for not hitting himself in the face, at least.

This seems like the kind of situation where you could accidentally capture yourself and crash the game.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!

Thracia 776 — Chapter 4: Darkest Dungeon

I do post quite a few out-of-context screenshots of dialogue, and it's not always super clear who was talking first (there's an arrow at the bottom of the most recent dialogue box but it's tiny), so I've added big arrows that tell if you should read top-to-bottom, or bottom-to-top. Do tell if it's distracting or doesn't help that much.

Sorites posted:

This seems like the kind of situation where you could accidentally capture yourself and crash the game.
Well, I know what I want to test, now. Maybe I'll throw some Sol into the mix, see what comes out.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

33: In Like a Lyon / I'm Already Out of Egg Jokes

Here's a two-in-one update to make up for my long-ish absence.

Miacis posted:

Thracia 776 — Chapter 4: Darkest Dungeon

I do post quite a few out-of-context screenshots of dialogue, and it's not always super clear who was talking first (there's an arrow at the bottom of the most recent dialogue box but it's tiny), so I've added big arrows that tell if you should read top-to-bottom, or bottom-to-top. Do tell if it's distracting or doesn't help that much.

I don't mind the arrows at all!
Karin looks like she's destined for greatness. Maybe some day, she'll be able to use that Javelin :v:

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018

quote:

Not pictured: Her being in a magic class before this has broken her animations, as all that happens here is that she raises and lowers her sword, gains experience, and then the enemy disappears from the map.

I believe she, by nature of having magic ranks, is trying to use the magic sword animations, but most swords don't have animations associated. I'm not 100% on the reasoning though.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

Faillen Angel posted:

I believe she, by nature of having magic ranks, is trying to use the magic sword animations, but most swords don't have animations associated. I'm not 100% on the reasoning though.

Interesting. I'll see if I can get her a Light Brand or a Runesword before the game ends, just to see if the animation works for it.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Holy hell that is a swole Syrene :stare:

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Faillen Angel posted:

You're pretty close. From my general loving around with the enemy control glitch in FE8 (Dark Bishop Moulder with Gleipnir is now canon in my FE8 runs) what I've noticed is that a physical weapon user that's been taught magic will always use their ranged weapon animation in battle. Sword attacks will use the Runesword animation, lance attacks will use the Javelin animation, Bow attacks will work like normal since they're already ranged, and Axe attacks will freeze the game because melee axes and ranged axes have different sprites, and the game just hangs.

Different topic, I've been trying out Thracia mode in the FE8 self randomizer and it's a fuckton of fun. Seeing an enemy with a unique or powerful weapon is no longer "poo poo, how long until I can get that" but instead "okay what's the best strategy to capture that guy". I actually wouldn't mind doing a play-through for the thread, but how does everyone get those nice 480x320 screenshots? All the ones I take are half size.

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 14, 2019

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

Saladin Rising posted:

I've been trying out Thracia mode in the FE8 self randomizer and it's a fuckton of fun. Seeing an enemy with a unique or powerful weapon is no longer "poo poo, how long until I can get that" but instead "okay what's the best strategy to capture that guy". I actually wouldn't mind doing a play-through for the thread, but how does everyone get those nice 480x320 screenshots? All the ones I take are half size.

Use ShareX or IrfanView for screenshots; they capture at the resolution you're playing at. I use ShareX, personally, because you can also get a custom uploader script that saves a ton of time on putting images up on LPix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!

Saladin Rising posted:

Different topic, I've been trying out Thracia mode in the FE8 self randomizer and it's a fuckton of fun. Seeing an enemy with a unique or powerful weapon is no longer "poo poo, how long until I can get that" but instead "okay what's the best strategy to capture that guy". I actually wouldn't mind doing a play-through for the thread, but how does everyone get those nice 480x320 screenshots? All the ones I take are half size.

I just record the window at 2x size, then use a video editor to grab the screens from the footage. It's just way easier for me than trying to get good shots during gameplay. :shrug:

After that, I use XnView for doing batch operations, like resizing, cropping or renaming pictures.