Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜
I was thinking of Flipnic while reading your post.

Apart from that there were no good PS2 games.

Although you may want to try Urban Chaos for FPS action.
Perhaps Dynasty Warriors Tactics (2) or Gladius for some turn based strategy.
Maybe Mercenaries for open word chaos.
Klonoa 2 is a cute 2.5D platformer.
Some people swear by the (whole) Jak & Daxter series for 3D platforming.
I am, however, a fan of Tenchu Wrath of Heavens for stealth action.

I don't know if any of these are on other platforms, but those are some of my picks of the top of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Whizzing Wizard posted:

are there any good ps2 games ?
I played most of the big ones back in the day.

Throw some at me I might not have played. I already have Flipnic installed.

If you have Flipnic then you need Akira Psycho Ball. There's also Densha de Go (Final is the best, but any version other than Shinkansen is good) and Train Simulator, and Mr. Mosquito 2. There's also Kamiwaza and Mushihimesama but those have recent modern ports.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

there was a mr mosquito 2?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Whizzing Wizard posted:

there was a mr mosquito 2?

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

lol, the first hit on google for mister mosquito 2 is a giantess wiki

kneelbeforezog
Nov 13, 2019

RillAkBea posted:

I like the HDD setup so much, I ended up buying a bigger drive to fit more games on. Took several hours installing games and fixing all the spelling mistakes, inconsistent punctuations and superfluous details in the game title list (never going with auto-naming from list again, it's just too much of a pain to fix with OPL's teensy text editor) and me and my wife just end up playing the same stupid game every day. :v:

What game and can the WII emulate the ps2

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

kneelbeforezog posted:

and can the WII emulate the ps2

no, the wii struggles to emulate a PS1

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Mercenaries 1 is a way better game than 2, which was just sort of unremarkable and would've put me off of trying 1 if that's all I'd seen.
Steambot Chronicles is probably either super neat or way too boring (I'd say "leisurely" maybe) depending on taste.
Haunting Ground is very artsy but there are some major content warning issues so read a synopsis.

Everything else I'm thinking of is not obscure at all, like Metal Gear Solid 3. That said, maybe play MGS3.

JordanStiva
Jan 14, 2015
Play Timesplitters 3. It’ll be better if you have someone next to you for co-op and even better again if you’re both drinking rum and cokes at the time. I did this 2 months ago so I can confirm it’s great

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I'm downloading something called Eternal Poison and the screens looks pretty good and it came out 2 years after the ps3 was out

RoRz0r
Sep 7, 2010

JordanStiva posted:

Play Timesplitters 3. It’ll be better if you have someone next to you for co-op and even better again if you’re both drinking rum and cokes at the time. I did this 2 months ago so I can confirm it’s great

Dayum, I was gonna say Time Splitters 2. Such a good FPS for the day, I can't remember if the controls hold up though. Was Time Splitters the first game to use dual joysticks / modern controls? Virus

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

No, there were a few shooters using that control scheme even on the original PlayStation. There was an Aliens game for PlayStation that famously got blasted in reviews because it was one of the first games to use the control scheme and nobody was used to it yet so the reviewers thought it was clumsy and bad, not knowing at the time that twin stick was going to be the future of the FPS genre on consoles.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I think the other PS1 game that had modern controls was the Men in Black cartoon game

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

RoRz0r posted:

Dayum, I was gonna say Time Splitters 2. Such a good FPS for the day, I can't remember if the controls hold up though. Was Time Splitters the first game to use dual joysticks / modern controls? Virus

Timesplitters 2 has a weird aiming where your aim sort of bounces around. Like if you move your aiming reticle right and let go of the stick, it will snap back to the left slightly. It's incredibly annoying.

I switched to Dolphin emulator and used a mouse injector. It was great fun! Maybe a tiny bit too easy but I played 2 and 3 and had a blast.

JordanStiva
Jan 14, 2015

RoRz0r posted:

As said, 2’s controls are hard to go back to but 3 controls in your modern way. The campaign is still a total blast to play through with someone else

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Fighting Elegy posted:

Timesplitters 2 has a weird aiming where your aim sort of bounces around. Like if you move your aiming reticle right and let go of the stick, it will snap back to the left slightly. It's incredibly annoying.

I booted it up today to have a go and you can fiddle with the settings a bit to make it slightly less bad, but it's very much rooted in the classic Dr. Doak control style.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

BG Dark Alliance is still good.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

It is, though I prefer the Norrath games

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I never played those back in the day, but I tried Return a bit earlier today and there's some neat improvements.
I do personally prefer the first DA for its simplicity and nostalgia. But it's cool to have two new to me games in the same style.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
when i first modded my PS2 i was trying out a bunch of games just to see if they'd all run and BG:DA was among the first i tried. i started playing it and was enjoying the game and then i looked at the clock and went "holy gently caress it's been almost 3 hours" lol

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Is there a solution to OPL freezing when I try to create virtual memory cards?
It worked fine for a while but now it freezes every time and my actual memory cards are all filled up.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I'll be honest: the last time I used a virtual memory card it corrupted my entire drive and I lost all my games. Never again.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Is there a solution to OPL freezing when I try to create virtual memory cards?
It worked fine for a while but now it freezes every time and my actual memory cards are all filled up.

Which fork are you using and is it the most updated version? I've had OPL corrupt itself before, but was fine after I reinstalled (usually with the newer version).

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I think I have the latest version, guess I can look for daily release and see if that helps

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Whizzing Wizard posted:

I think I have the latest version, guess I can look for daily release and see if that helps

Reinstalling alone might do the trick, but you might as well upgrade while you're at it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Is there some trick to getting the OPL Manager HDD Art Batcher to work on win10?

I get the initial prompt where it asks me to choose the hard drive and then when i hit a key to continue it just closes down and nothing happens.

e: after banging my head against the wall over this for a bit I just decided to put the ART directory onto a thumb drive and copy/paste it over in uLaunch which worked perfectly.

e2: man Frequency is fuckin fun

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 23, 2022

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

My favorite program for loading the HDD is HDL Batch Installer https://www.psx-place.com/resources/hdl-batch-installer.1173/

The only drawbacks to it are 1, it has trouble with multiple disc games that have the same game ID, so you have to do a bit of trickery to get them working. And 2, the titles database is pretty useless for a lot of NTSC-J names. Lots of spelling mistakes, more than a few incorrectly transliterated titles, and sometimes just entirely the wrong game! :v:

Apart from that it makes the HDD loading process incredibly easy and it's still in active development.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

The way I got some of these crazy PS2 tools to even find the HDD, is to launch PowerShell as administrator and then start the programs from there.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

My setup uses the official ps2 network adapter with a sata adapter and then I have an SD card reader plugged into the adapter that hangs out on top of the console so I can switch sd cards.

I'm trying to use a 500gb card so I need to use 48 bit hdloader instead of ToxicOS in WinHIIP right?

I first did this and loaded it to the brim with games and OPL just hangs at the startup screen. Then I tested the card with just ONE game on it and works fine.

I saw a thread elsewhere where someone was having issues when they went over 128gb of content on their card but I'm not super interested in doing advanced troubleshooting so I'm curious what I'm doing wrong.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

the general advice is to not use Winhiip.
Format the drive with uLaunchelf.
I use HDL Dump Helper GUI, because it's the one I get to actually work.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Ok I'll give that a go then.

Before I sign up for what looks like hours of clicking, is there any way to select a bunch of isos at once and queue them in HDL Dump Helper GUI or do you have to do it one disc image at a time?

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

there is HDLBATCH which does that.

I can't get it to work however, I think I have too many harddrives or something

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Ok I'll give that a go then.

Before I sign up for what looks like hours of clicking, is there any way to select a bunch of isos at once and queue them in HDL Dump Helper GUI or do you have to do it one disc image at a time?
The program I posted above works well for me. I used it to fill a 2TB disc with games so there's definitely no problems on that front.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Ok yeah I just grabbed the newest build of this and it's way better than the older one I tried. Good to know it's still being worked on because it's definitely what I was looking for!

edit: Or it was before it decided to fail to load certain isos with the error of "unhandled error" or something similarly nebulous. Do my file names need to have the SCUS/SLUS code in them?

E2: eh, I just ignored the errors and it works fine anyway. Time to play Burnout.

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 23, 2022

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

My brother in law gave me a ps2 slim he didn't want anymore and while I 100% do not need another ps2, I've never hosed with one of these before.

Got Shinobi running off of a usb stick after watching a video. This game is so fun.

edit: after digging up an old spare router I had and putting Tomato on it, I got this thing loading games off of the usb stick plugged into the router which is a little snappier. The router is about the same size as the console itself.

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Oct 30, 2022

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

I have a JP copy of the first game but had NO idea there was a sequel!

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I wanna get a lil bit of spooky gaming in tonight in the spirit of the season. Between Forbidden Siren, Project Zero/Fatal Frame, and Silent Hill 3, which one would you pick if you'd never played any of them before?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Instant Grat posted:

I wanna get a lil bit of spooky gaming in tonight in the spirit of the season. Between Forbidden Siren, Project Zero/Fatal Frame, and Silent Hill 3, which one would you pick if you'd never played any of them before?

SH3 if you've played SH1 in the last couple years and remember the plot beats, Siren if you don't mind uh, a lot of trial and error and kludgy controls, Fatal Frame if you want something that still actually plays pretty well

Hell I'd probably just go with Fatal Frame

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I have to represent Siren as it's literally my favourite horror series ever, but yeah it does have a sort of learning curve to it. Fatal Frame is spooky as heck, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

kirbysuperstar posted:

SH3 if you've played SH1 in the last couple years and remember the plot beats

I did play SH1 a while back, but I remember very little about it, except how hard it was to navigate once the town got all dark

And also that the final boss' attacks seemed more or less impossible to avoid, so I just rushed it down with shotgun blasts while eating healing items every time it hit me

Probably gonna go with Project Zero then