Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 44 35.20%
No 81 64.80%
Total: 125 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

NY hates trump though? Not just the city right

Well, afaik the rest of the state is red chud territory.

Also the point is more that drat near all politicians will do what they can to pardon stuff others do because they want to be the ones doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

CBJSprague24 posted:

I was with my dad earlier today, who insists on listening to Rush Limbaugh, and Rush was chiding "Republicans" for hanging Trump out to dry and not doing enough to get the results overturned.

That mother fucker ain't dead yet

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

poo poo like this is why we aren't remotely out of the woods yet

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

That mother fucker ain't dead yet

Fucker is rich as hell and could be doing anything, but he's using his final days continuing to spread poison over the radio. I don't get what makes these evil fuckers tick.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

i don't live in upstate ny anymore but they will think things the opposite way of the city on purpose because almost the entire rest of the state has little man syndrome

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Patware posted:

i don't live in upstate ny anymore but they will think things the opposite way of the city on purpose because almost the entire rest of the state has little man syndrome

I live a little upstate, it’s definitely the urban rural divide. Once you get away from the bigger cities is pretty much like the south.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
one of my former sailors is from an upstate army family and he's vehemently pro trump anti anything democrats but also didn't vote because he got confused registering and then got COVID and didn't tell my friend he was around when he had it because said friend hurt his feelings calling him out on being a racist fuckwit. checks out.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

maffew buildings posted:

one of my former sailors is from an upstate army family and he's vehemently pro trump anti anything democrats but also didn't vote because he got confused registering and then got COVID and didn't tell my friend he was around when he had it because said friend hurt his feelings calling him out on being a racist fuckwit. checks out.

That really sounds like grounds for a severe rear end beating

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I mean honestly he's not wrong.

The key thing to remember is that the main stumbling block throughout the spring, summer, and fall towards getting a new stimulus is Senate Republicans. Even when Pelosi was negotiating with Mnuchin in September and October, it was clear that that nothing they'd agreed to would pass through the Senate—and the only things in McConnell's counter-proposal were things like PPP and the insane "waive COVID liabilities for businesses" proposal.

Now, there's a "Framework" that at least some Senate Republicans can agree to. And key point: This is not an actual bill. It's literally a list of "we can agree on something around these numbers I guess" Like:

This is it. This is the "Bipartisan framework."

It's bad and terribly insufficient, but it may also be the only thing that can get passed in the next month and a half before Biden takes office, and it's not nothing. For the Dems there's also the benefit that when Biden does take office, they'll be the ones distributing and managing funds, so there's less chance for PPP money to fall down Mnuchin's Black Hole of Graft (Which is what happened with the last round of stimulus). And if the Dems do take the Senate, nothing is stopping them from approving another, larger stimulus package with additional checks and more money for unemployment (Which is something that both Ossoff and Warnock are campaigning on). And if it falls through and Senate Republicans torpedo the deal (Which I think is pretty likely, considering how many details still need to be hashed out), at least the Dems can say they tried.

None of this matters, at all, until it's passed by both sides of congress. It's exactly poo poo like this that gets us into the "well, if we do a little here and there, maybe we can get the ghouls to sign on", and then they get led on for years chasing this carrot further to the right.

It's the same with the MJ bill. It's all performative bullshit until it actually passes.

E: The same in the sense that it doesn't loving matter. The Ds in the House can decide to get together and pass straight up medicare for all, and it won't matter for poo poo until the Senate is even capable of passing it, because until then it will never happen. The instant the Senate flips the vote will never come up again.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Related to several pages ago but I impulse bought a mouth guard at the store today because A) I read the thread before I went out and B) I've been chewing off the side of my tongue in my sleep for a couple of months, so hopefully that'll help.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Patware posted:

Not without reason.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

sharknado slashfic posted:

Related to several pages ago but

:stonk:

quote:

... I impulse bought a mouth guard

Oh, phew. :buddy:

This has been a good reminder to get my CPAP set up and working again. I haven't been using it more or less since the pandemic began (for unrelated reasons) and I would not be surprised if it was a major component of why I feel like poo poo all the time.

(Remember to take care of yourselves.)

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

All of us

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I live a little upstate, it’s definitely the urban rural divide. Once you get away from the bigger cities is pretty much like the south.

I (mestizo) met my wife's uncle from upstate NY in Florida - we both had private talks to 1) tell him not to be racist to me and 2) to me that he can be racist and not be offended.

He's actually a pretty funny guy and we both love to crush some beers and grill some food.

Aside from the racism and driving around at 10AM with a budlight in the console he's an okay dude.

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

Thank you Mr President for Making America Great Again! USA #1! I shouldn't have to understand other cultures, I'm a god damn American hero.

TCD posted:

Aside from the racism and driving around at 10AM with a budlight in the console he's an okay dude.

Sounds like a great guy!

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Godholio posted:

Not without reason.

at one of my cousin's new years party, someone from out of state asked me where i was from

i said 'Gloversville' and the immediate response was 'is that near Queens?'

so i mean, i do get it

warsow
Jun 28, 2009

Zamujasa posted:

None of this matters, at all, until it's passed by both sides of congress. It's exactly poo poo like this that gets us into the "well, if we do a little here and there, maybe we can get the ghouls to sign on", and then they get led on for years chasing this carrot further to the right.

It's the same with the MJ bill. It's all performative bullshit until it actually passes.

E: The same in the sense that it doesn't loving matter. The Ds in the House can decide to get together and pass straight up medicare for all, and it won't matter for poo poo until the Senate is even capable of passing it, because until then it will never happen. The instant the Senate flips the vote will never come up again.

It generally doesn’t matter. But right now with the runoffs in Georgia, legislation like the MJ bill really can make an impact.

“If you go vote in this senate race in January, we retake the senate and marijuana can be legal in a Biden admin.”

Now if that actually happens is one thing, but it’s very easy to get people who wouldn’t normally vote if they think legal weed is on the ballot, regardless of nuance.

Especially in an area which disproportionally has been incarcerated for weed / drugs.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

That really sounds like grounds for a severe rear end beating

he was SIQ two days with a fever then came back to work and BN didn't test until he lost his sense of taste. then the BN didn't tell anyone or contaxt trace or anything! SEABEEEEEES

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

So my tastebuds got jacked up from an uncommon side effect from surgery, but COVID wrecked what little bit I had left. The additional issues from COVID (I got hit back June/July) are finally starting to taper off, but my mouth still always tastes like sweat.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

The Washington Post surveyed nearly all 250 congressional Republicans with three pretty straightforward questions about the election’s outcome and the results were, uh, not exactly encouraging.

While I know that a part of this can be attributed to Republicans not wanting to cross Trump and end up on the business end of one of his Twitter tantrums, this really has gone on for too long.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

donald trump has taught me that temper tantrums are how you get your way

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pantslesswithwolves posted:

The Washington Post surveyed nearly all 250 congressional Republicans with three pretty straightforward questions about the election’s outcome and the results were, uh, not exactly encouraging.

While I know that a part of this can be attributed to Republicans not wanting to cross Trump and end up on the business end of one of his Twitter tantrums, this really has gone on for too long.

Two actually bugs me the most, but honestly I think they’re just waiting to the EC/Congress accepting it and maybe for inauguration. Then again I think most understand his legal stuff can only result in lols at this point and it’s like saying you support something and knowing nothing can be done to achieve said thing. It’s been oddly comforting to see the Judiciary not put up with any of his poo poo.

I saw a headline for this earlier and didn’t realize so many didn’t respond, oddly I’m more reassured.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

MazelTovCocktail posted:

but honestly I think they’re just waiting to the EC/Congress accepting it and maybe for inauguration.

They are cowards, pure and simple.

They’ve been cowed by a demagogue and the demagogue’s supporters. They should never be allowed to live it down so long as they allow this stain on their party.

We’re living in a two party system with one party functionally broken. Republicans’ purpose now is the make government work as poorly as possible and corrupt it as thoroughly as possible to allow their richest donors to accumulate as much wealth as possible.

They have no principles other than “gently caress you, got mine”. Get the guillotines already.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thwomp posted:

They are cowards, pure and simple.

They’ve been cowed by a demagogue and the demagogue’s supporters. They should never be allowed to live it down so long as they allow this stain on their party.

We’re living in a two party system with one party functionally broken. Republicans’ purpose now is the make government work as poorly as possible and corrupt it as thoroughly as possible to allow their richest donors to accumulate as much wealth as possible.

They have no principles other than “gently caress you, got mine”. Get the guillotines already.

Honestly I just don’t care. I don’t vote for them generally, it’s there problem. As long as they come around it doesn’t bother me that much, it’s show more then anything else. They’re going to be obstructionist, we know that, better to learn how to operate within. It.

Anyway it’a not like Pelosi and Schumer didn’t screw people five times worse in the past few days. I’m just not in the mood to care too much.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Honestly I just don’t care. I don’t vote for them generally, it’s there problem. As long as they come around it doesn’t bother me that much, it’s show more then anything else. They’re going to be obstructionist, we know that, better to learn how to operate within. It.

Anyway it’a not like Pelosi and Schumer didn’t screw people five times worse in the past few days. I’m just not in the mood to care too much.

Delegitimizing Biden is a really easy way to gain support for blocking anything he proposes. Barring an extreme change in the midterms, absolutely nothing is getting done for the next four years.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

That's right BOTH SIDES SUCK. Come on, man!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lightpole posted:

Delegitimizing Biden is a really easy way to gain support for blocking anything he proposes. Barring an extreme change in the midterms, absolutely nothing is getting done for the next four years.

So why care or get super excited about it? There are more important things to do currently. They were going to do it regardless and we all knew this.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 5, 2020

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

lightpole posted:

You realize the election isn't over and there are runoffs in Georgia going on right now, right?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grip it and rip it posted:

You realize the election isn't over and there are runoffs in Georgia going on right now, right?

Also this too. I care about that and if they both flip, it all becomes irrelevant.

Also in your sail Glenn Greenwald had worm brains news.

https://twitter.com/issamahmed/status/1335258485244776450?s=21

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 5, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mr. Nice! posted:

Biff Tanner's world where he rules is explicitly based on what the writers of back to the future thought the country would look like under Donald Trump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_iL8TtPOt0

e: Because this is an embed, I should note that it dates from June of 2015.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

pantslesswithwolves posted:

As stated by everyone, here's the reason:

https://twitter.com/brahmresnik/status/1335041418184646656?s=19

It's Merry Griftsmas and Republicans with any (remaining) sense are trying to just shut up until the 8th/14th when this thing is irrevocably cooked. They all know they need Trump voters, and every grifter is zooming far right to mount eventual primary challenges, so it's either bow in fealty to the disintegrating god-emperor or shut the gently caress up until schedule reality kicks in.

For what it's worth, except for some minor pentagon nonsense, absolutely nothing is impeding the actual transition anymore. That was making a lot of Republicans start to get mouthy, so now they've shut up too.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Also this too. I care about that and if they both flip, it all becomes irrelevant.

Also in your sail Glenn Greenwald had worm brains news.

https://twitter.com/issamahmed/status/1335258485244776450?s=21

If only GG had an editor to keep his galaxy brain takes in check

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MazelTovCocktail posted:

https://twitter.com/ozkaterji/status/1334791784564723712?s=21

I’m sure Flynn is heartbroken over this...explains why he wants martial law. lol

Can Congress pre‐emptively override a veto?

If the bill passed today, Trump has till the seventeenth to send it back to Congress (ten days, Sundays don’t count). If Congress overrode the veto that same day, the “thirty days later” provision would take effect on the sixteenth of January.

It’s close to not being Trump’s problem. Just gotta kick that can down the road for four days.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Also, we knew this woman was a nutbag, but it's nice to put some meat on the bone.

https://twitter.com/HelenKennedy/status/1335238187304816641?s=19

... and then send the boning to my ex

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Woofer posted:

donald trump has taught me that temper tantrums are how you get your way

13 years of working retail taught me that

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

facialimpediment posted:

Also, we knew this woman was a nutbag, but it's nice to put some meat on the bone.

https://twitter.com/HelenKennedy/status/1335238187304816641?s=19

... and then send the boning to my ex

That hair.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Apparently it's still the 80s in her area of Michigan.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bored As gently caress posted:

Apparently it's still the 80s in her area of Michigan.

Honestly I thought that was a Texas thing anyway.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Trump's most hardcore supporters are people who never voted until him. My extended family is almost all republicans now, but only half of them were ever actually political until trump. Almost all of the ones that were political before trump admit that trump lost, while all of the ones who became politically active because of trump are digging in even harder and spewing conspiracies.

This is why you have congress republicans afraid to take a side. A republican schism isn't going to happen, but I could absolutely see them becoming a non-united party like the democrats are. The last time this was close to happening was with the tea party, but they were able to use fox news to keep everyone on the same page. Now you've got three different right wing networks competing with each other and no unified message. Logically this would make it so that we get an equivalent of blue dog democrats on the right, but this is hellworld so the whole republican party (and country) is just going to be dragged further to the right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Other than a weird part, I like her hair :shrug:

He face, on the other hand, is covered with the sour expression of someone who thinks that hate can substitute for personality