Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1452941101158084616

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Nice of them to give Spurs a free win before booting him

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I don't recall seeing too many attacking fullbacks on the overlap in England pre-Wenger. Now it is default.

This Denis Irwin erasure is criminal

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Did the same kind of thing happen with Jose

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

ZeeBoi posted:

Did the same kind of thing happen with Jose

Jose was sacked the tuesday after he lost 3-1 to Liverpool

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Jose was also sacked mostly because of his incredible toxicity

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
Play Eric

https://twitter.com/UtdDistrict/status/1452746181403201537

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

How poo poo must VDB be to not manage to break into that Utd midfield

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

CyberPingu posted:

He's behind Bruno and Pogba who are both much better than him, really.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Surely having Alex Ferguson constantly lingering over you, pulling faces on TV can't help any managers chances of success.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Ferguson is probably one of the main reasons Ole got and still has that job

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Every team goes through patches of bad form and ole took them to 2nd last year. Ole must stay

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I still maintain that singning Ronaldo is the biggest mistake he ever made, and it was loving obvious at the Liverpool game. He just doesn't work at all and the team is so much better and more coherent with Cavani up top.

TheRat fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 26, 2021

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

TheRat posted:

I still maintain that singning Ronaldo is the biggest mistake he ever made, and it was loving obvious at the Liverpool game. He just doesn't work at all and the team is so much better and more coherent with Cavani up top.

It seemed like a PR move and a "Holy poo poo this guy is available we can't pass him up" rather than thinking if he actually fits into their system

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I don't disagree with what either of you are saying but he's also scored six goals in nine matches including two CL winners so he is kind of keeping Ole in the job.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Shrapnig posted:

I don't disagree with what either of you are saying but he's also scored six goals in nine matches including two CL winners so he is kind of keeping Ole in the job.

And for that we thank him for his service.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Shrapnig posted:

I think the team would have done better without him though. Someone would have stepped up and scored goals, and the team would have conceded fewer with a front line that works as a cohesive unit out of possession.

CyberPingu posted:

It seemed like a PR move and a "Holy poo poo this guy is available we can't pass him up" rather than thinking if he actually fits into their system

It was 100% a PR move, but in the "we can't let City have him" kind of way. Which is loving funny if you're a City fan I guess. The noise from various reputable journalists was that he had been shopped around for several months and Man Utd had shown zero interest until it looked like he was going to Man City.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

TheRat posted:

Which is loving funny if you're a City fan I guess.
To be fair, we all think it’s funny.

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:

CyberPingu posted:

Completely forgotten he was at Man U. They’re doing the terrible kind of hoarding of players where they spunk all the money on the flavour of the month with no thought about the wider team or proper plans to develop them long term. See also Sancho.

It’s a criminal waste of some potentially great players.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Xabi posted:

To be fair, we all think it’s funny.

It's hilarious and I do wonder how he would have done at City.

Good ball by Dixon
Oct 18, 2012

Vinestalk posted:

All Wenger did for the defense was tell them to eat better, drink less, and stop smoking. The only people who "played in a way no one believed," was the offense. Like this is willful ignorance of One Nil to the Arsenal.
The defense had to change with the rest of the team, that's the point. In the one nil era they played safety first with a midfield close to them and hoofed the ball, under Wenger they played higher up the pitch, had more possession and less protection from the midfield. And people didn't think the could play that way.

quote:

The old defenders still rotated through the squad even after the invincibles season. The defense during the Champions League run was limited to just the Champions League. They were average during the league and that's why they finished 4th with dodgy lasagna to thank.
Which of the old defenders played in the 2004-2005 season?

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

does ole gunnar solskjaer know The United Way?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

TheRat posted:

He's behind Bruno and Pogba who are both much better than him, really.

Yeah you'd be poo poo without them.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Truly Pogba was inspirational against Liverpool, by being smart enough to get himself out of the game pronto

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

T Bowl posted:

It's hilarious and I do wonder how he would have done at City.

I think he would've done better at City. They have such a stacked midfield they probably could have coped with a player up top not pressing at all, and one thing they miss in a lot of games is someone clinical to get on the end of De Bruyne's passes and score.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Managers being unable to accommodate pure strikers who do nothing but score a gently caress ton of goals is one of the dumbest trends of modern football.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

vyelkin posted:

I think he would've done better at City. They have such a stacked midfield they probably could have coped with a player up top not pressing at all, and one thing they miss in a lot of games is someone clinical to get on the end of De Bruyne's passes and score.

One the other hand Pep would probably have killed him once he saw his complete lack of pressing

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
the only more un-pep player than ronaldo is zlatan, and we all know how that worked out

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

TheRat posted:

One the other hand Pep would probably have killed him once he saw his complete lack of pressing

lol this is true

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
According to Zlatan, Pep doesn't "do" confrontations. You just find yourself frozen out and on the bench and he avoids talking to you.

But regardless, everyone is right in that combining Guardiola and C. Ronaldo would not work.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

It's telling how weak Ole's position is and how little he's respected by the players that Eric loving Bailly is telling him off in front of the others in the changing room.

J Hume
Apr 23, 2013

What is the best number?

Translation: let Ole take the blame for losing the next three matches so the new manager can start against Watford.

edit: they might beat Tottenham

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
https://twitter.com/b_nooman/status/1453213421810462723?t=o1hSJLTBfkTSIP6NdZ_TmQ&s=19

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
what loving tactics

keep him in to the city game please god

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Good ball by Dixon posted:

Which of the old defenders played in the 2004-2005 season?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Not sure how people feel about Tifo, but their evisceration of Solskjaer here is pretty direct and brutal.

https://youtu.be/Epygwgr_x0Q

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

tarbrush posted:

Not sure how people feel about Tifo, but their evisceration of Solskjaer here is pretty direct and brutal.

https://youtu.be/Epygwgr_x0Q

The opening part made me lol. "Ole ended up playing in more of a 4 2 4, so yeah...starting to see the problems already"

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

L.H.O.O.Q. posted:

Completely forgotten he was at Man U. They’re doing the terrible kind of hoarding of players where they spunk all the money on the flavour of the month with no thought about the wider team or proper plans to develop them long term. See also Sancho.

It’s a criminal waste of some potentially great players.

At some point there needs to be a Truth and Reconciliation Commission about just how many young English players careers were ruined by being hoarded by top 4 clubs for their prime years. I don't particularly feel sorry for, say, Scott Sinclair because he presumably made mad stacks in the 8 years he spent bench-warming at Chelsea and Man City but there's probably a pretty good England starting XI to be made of players with more U21 caps than first team appearances at their CL-qualifying clubs.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

sticksy posted:

It's telling how weak Ole's position is and how little he's respected by the players that Eric loving Bailly is telling him off in front of the others in the changing room.

Bailly is right and one of Ole's major flaws, of which there are many, is that he gave Maguire the armband in the first place and now feels obligated to play him regardless of form or fitness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wazzerphuk
Feb 9, 2001

Hating Chelsea before it was cool
Winner of the PWM POTM for September
Winner of the PWM POTM for January
Co-Winner of the PWM POTM for March

goddamnedtwisto posted:

At some point there needs to be a Truth and Reconciliation Commission about just how many young English players careers were ruined by being hoarded by top 4 clubs for their prime years. I don't particularly feel sorry for, say, Scott Sinclair because he presumably made mad stacks in the 8 years he spent bench-warming at Chelsea and Man City but there's probably a pretty good England starting XI to be made of players with more U21 caps than first team appearances at their CL-qualifying clubs.

I will never stop moaning about Ryan Sessegnon (rip)