Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

The Shame Boy posted:

Nobody can stop that thing with force, we need you to use force to stop him.

My Hero Academia in summary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
Momo's gonna do great everyone

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeIMy15koto

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?
i'm not gonna lie, y'all

this show is kinda sorta sucking right now

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
I think Hori sucks at writing women.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Mudman! Uh...just help out okay? Thanks

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I can't even make a joke, I just feel sad for Momo every time I see her.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

:lmao: Mt. Lady rules.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

okay, here's the plan

we're gonna use harpoons and tow cables, and we're gonna go for the legs, on account of it maybe being our only chance of stopping him

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag1o3koTLWM

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Momo is probably gonna fail again but at least her boobs are always on full display while it's happening!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Delphisage posted:

I think Hori sucks at writing women.

Counter:

Rhonne posted:

:lmao: Mt. Lady rules.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Supersonic Shine posted:

I can't even make a joke, I just feel sad for Momo every time I see her.

Hori said he originally wanted to make her a pro hero. She could've just been a generic background character like Mount Lady and Midnight here, and instead she's worse as a supporting cast member.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

https://cytu.be/r/goonami

lycoris

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Look at Momo give orders in that teaser. Makes you think she's a pivotal character in that episode.

Oh god, the next episode of MHA is gonna be so bad.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Delphisage posted:

Look at Momo give orders in that teaser. Makes you think she's a pivotal character in that episode.

On the other hand, the best they can do for a teaser of next episode is everybody standing around and talking still so i think next week's episode is gonna be a real snoozefest, a real shame it's Momo centric too.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I get what Momo's character arc is supposed to be, her slowly learning to be more confident in herself despite stumbling along the way until she becomes a great leader, but the problem is we've mostly just seen her fail while other people say she's getting better. I dunno, maybe I'm just still bitter about the Joint Training arc.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Rhonne posted:

I get what Momo's character arc is supposed to be, her slowly learning to be more confident in herself despite stumbling along the way until she becomes a great leader, but the probably is we've mostly just seen her fail while other people say she's getting better. I dunno, maybe I'm just still bitter about the Joint Training arc.

Kinda sucks how the Hinata vs Neji scenario just keeps being where a lot of female characters peak. And these characters aren't even a sliver of how interesting her setup was.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

MHA as a whole is just increasingly feeling like an engine that's starting to sputter out and die from fuel starvation

started out great, but man does it feel like things for the past season or so have just been a gradual descent into mediocrity

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Argus Zant posted:

MHA as a whole is just increasingly feeling like an engine that's starting to sputter out and die from fuel starvation

started out great, but man does it feel like things for the past season or so have just been a gradual descent into mediocrity
Weirdly I'm of the opposite opinion, at least regarding this season, it's pulled me back in while I was fading

I really like the finale of this arc

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

JT Jag posted:

Weirdly I'm of the opposite opinion, at least regarding this season, it's pulled me back in while I was fading

I like what happens right before the finale, but the actual finale is a bunch of plot points and actions that feel spawned from author burnout.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Supersonic Shine posted:

Suddenly, I miss Jojo's Bizarre Adventure a lot.

I mean, JJBA is mostly just as guilty, though admittedly it doesn't do escalation in the same generic way that DBZ/MHA other shonen do. Dio (part 3) on paper seems like he should be stronger than others but he seems to forget his vampire powers after he gets The World, then Killer Queen starts sprouting secondary powers, then you get King Crimson which has arguably stronger (via being harder to understand) time powers than The World

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Delphisage posted:

I like what happens right before the finale, but the actual finale is a bunch of plot points and actions that feel spawned from author burnout.
Alright yeah that's fair, that's my favorite part too

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Can see why the author just put Mirko and Mt.Lady alot in these last few chapters/episodes, if you have to animate your version of Goku fighting Frieza on Namek you might as well enjoy it.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

JT Jag posted:

Alright yeah that's fair, that's my favorite part too

It's pretty much the proper climax, after all.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

TwoPair posted:

then you get King Crimson which has arguably stronger (via being harder to understand) time powers than The World

It's the same power as Za Warudo, but with an overcomplicated explanation to make for ease of rules lawyering.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I know we have a silent truce about Made in Abyss, but man, episodes like this remind me how good this show could be if, uh, every character was aged up 10 years

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

JT Jag posted:

I've not seen the finale (yet, obviously) but yeah I'm honestly kinda okay with the arc as well, even if I have mocked/complained about it during watching it. Even if it does suffer from "only the main character can be important" when Deku and/or Shigaraki is in play, it's had plenty of fun moments for side characters that have been overlooked or even forgotten to get big moments that they haven't gotten in a long while.

I mean I guess maybe it stems from me reading American superhero comics and how MHA obviously takes inspiration from them. This whole arc is like an event comic. You know who's gonna be the ultimately important character from who's leading up to it like Batman or something, but there's always a lot of fun moments for second stringers to fight mooks.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

TwoPair posted:

I mean I guess maybe it stems from me reading American superhero comics and how MHA obviously takes inspiration from them.

Why do people keep saying that? Anyone who's read Naruto can tell it's taking more story influence from other battle shonen of its ilk than any western superhero comics, and the superhero stuff is only in terms of visual inspiration. Hell, people still think the same about Onepunch Man just because Saitama wears a cape and big red gloves, when it's just doing the usual shonen action comedy thing.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Time to play everyone's favorite game: How Will Moroha Job Today

Delphisage posted:

Why do people keep saying that? Anyone who's read Naruto can tell it's taking more story influence from other battle shonen of its ilk than any western superhero comics. Hell, people still think the same about Onepunch Man just because the main character wears a cape and big red gloves, when it's just doing the usual shonen action comedy thing.
Because the author himself is on the record as a Westaboo who loves western comics

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

time to catch this here G-Max Butterfree

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Delphisage posted:

Why do people keep saying that? Anyone who's read Naruto can tell it's taking more story influence from other battle shonen of its ilk than any western superhero comics. Hell, people still think the same about Onepunch Man just because the main character wears a cape and big red gloves, when it's just doing the usual shonen action comedy thing.

I mean yeah obviously it's not just trying to be superhero comics but in manga/anime form, I'm not saying that, but it doesn't not take inspiration from western superheroes, come on.

But yeah I agree that OPM is doing its own parody thing.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
good point inuyasha

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

JT Jag posted:

Because the author himself is on the record as a Westaboo who loves western comics

A western comic wouldn't be written like this.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

oh poo poo, it's heading for Shadow Moses Island! if that thing gets a hold of Metal Gear REX, it'll create the mother of all Cyberdemons!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Moroha, Rion is literally a soul stuffed inside a doll and they've said that she ain't gonna stick there for long, just let her go.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Delphisage posted:

A western comic wouldn't be written like this.
Yeah, because this is a manga written by a Japanese person, not an actual western comic

He just likes them

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

If she wanted you to save her she woulden't have sent those killer moths after you earlier ya idgits

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

TwoPair posted:

I mean yeah obviously it's not just trying to be superhero comics but in manga/anime form, I'm not saying that, but it doesn't not take inspiration from western superheroes, come on.

I amended my post to note the visual and costume inspiration is western-influenced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
we need buddhist power